Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Felix 'PewDiePie' Kjellberg has become the 1st YouTube user to exceed 10billion views

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Calibos wrote: »
    I can imagine yer man JacksepticEye calling round to the parents house to tell them he was dropping out of college, his parents reacting in horror and asking why, him telling them that it was because he wanted to devote more time to his youtube gaming channel, his parents reacting in terror and asking him has he gone totally stark raving mad......well mad enough to have come here to see them straight from the bank after paying off their mortgage.

Theres actually a few youtube vids floating about of similar. Guys making a packet on an appstore app and clearing his working class hispanic parents mortgage etc. Heart warming.

No begrudgery from me. Fair play to the lot of them.

I would begrudge it in most cases.

What did they do for humanity? What net value did they add to the world with their work? That's how it's supposed to work in capitalism, that you put in something and get something back out of it. The people who downloaded and paid for Flappy Bird may have consensually done it, but it would be hard to argue that it added anything of legitimate value to the world.... I guess you could take that argument, but if it's for nothing then yes I begrudge it.

If in one case it ends up making things fairer for poor people, that's a good thing, but it's the wrong way to go about it. The problem will still be there for almost every other family going through it. The majority is people who were already reasonably well off... enough to have expensive cameras, tripods, decent computers, often gaming equipment and the time to toy with them.

Also I found this, it's supposed to show demographics of who is watching what, though the results looks suspicious to me: https://www.youtube.com/trendsdashboard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

My kids don't dress up as characters neither do they seem to have any inclination to do so ? :confused:

The Youtube gameplay vids are a form of entertainment, similar to TV games, series, music videos... They get tips for their own playing, and have a laugh. I really don't see what all the fretting out or spite is about.
    Like, what about Crystal Maze (and all such), wasn't that all about watching people playing games ?
    I never said they did.

Anyway, I'm talking about people in their 30s dressing up as Lara Croft or some fairy pixie from Middle Earth or some other nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

What did they do for humanity? What net value did they add to the world with their work? That's how it's supposed to work in capitalism, that you put in something and get something back out of it. The people who downloaded and paid for Flappy Bird may have consensually done it, but it would be hard to argue that it added anything of legitimate value to the world.... I guess you could take that argument, but if it's for nothing then yes I begrudge it.

If in one case it ends up making things fairer for poor people, that's a good thing, but it's the wrong way to go about it. The problem will still be there for almost every other family going through it. The majority is people who were already reasonably well off... enough to have expensive cameras, tripods, decent computers, often gaming equipment and the time to toy with them.

What a shocking point of view, because by extension, it seems that you would begrudge all entertainers ! :eek:
    Entertainment has a value, it "does" something for the world.
    That you don't get the entertaining value is fair enough, different folks different strokes, but you can't really wipe off the entertaining value because you don't get it.

Mr Mountains works in entertainment, well, music. A lot of people hate that kind of music. So is he doing nothing for the world ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I'm surprised that roughly 50% of people here haven't heard of Pewdiepie -- even if you've never watched him.:confused:

This is an internet forum after all. I would've assumed most users here would be at least vaguely familiar with internet pop culture in general. I'm surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Never heard of him and I spend a stupid amount of time on youtube watching cookery channels and brazilian jiu jitsu videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I'm surprised that roughly 50% of people here haven't heard of Pewdiepie -- even if you've never watched him.:confused:

This is an internet forum after all. I would've assumed most users here would be at least vaguely familiar with internet pop culture in general. I'm surprised.
    I've heard of the Angry Video Game Nerd if that helps. He was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

KungPao wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm talking about people in their 30s dressing up as Lara Croft or some fairy pixie from Middle Earth or some other nonsense.

Pfft, dressing up is awesome, some people make an artform out of their costumes, I freakin' love all those people at the conventions. :D

Also I found this, it's supposed to show demographics of who is watching what, though the results looks suspicious to me: https://www.youtube.com/trendsdashboard

They've contributed hundreds of hours of free content, have entertained millions, and in many cases, given people who were previously seen as outcasts a way to see that they're not really - look at clips & Q&As from various cons that happen, whether it be RTX or PAX and you'll see that it's a running theme.

So while you begrudge, they're absolutely offering more to the world than you have and ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I do love when he gets mentioned and you get the eejits saying "hes only shouting and playing games". If its as easy as that then why dont they do it themselves! Do well to get 100 views I'd say. Pewdiepie gets that an hour on his vids. There is skill involved for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I never said they did.

Thats not exactly a high percentage of gamers. Probably about the same as film fans that dress up. But you wouldn't think movie fans are weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Ah, a thread about begrudging Irish people who never achieved their dreams upset about a Scandinavian lad who has a lovely looking other-half, makes millions and gets to play video games all day :pac:

Same peoples parents probably laughed at the Beatles back in the day and how it must be only dumb kids who get into that kind of music :pac:

Whats even better is many of these people also probably watch Reality TV like Big Brother and the Kardashians :pac:

After Hours never fails to disappoint with it's general moaning and begrudgery

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cormac... wrote: »
    Ah, a thread about begrudging Irish people who never achieved their dreams upset about a Scandinavian lad who has a lovely looking other-half, makes millions and gets to play video games all day :pac:

Same peoples parents probably laughed at the Beatles back in the day and how it must be only dumb kids who get into that kind of music :pac:

Whats even better is many of these people also probably watch Reality TV like Big Brother and the Kardashians :pac:

Good to see you're here helping change the thread to a positive vibe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Cienciano wrote: »
    Good to see you're here helping change the thread to a positive vibe

Like I could be f**ked trying to change anyones mind on anything in after hours.

I value the time I have in my life too much to be getting too bogged down in that type of thing

People who are anti-"Gamers" or anti-Steamers or anti-youtube will not be conceived otherwise by me, you, nor anyone else.

I just think it's funny, I don't have a social responsibility to pitch up on any side of the fence and engage in debate here.

Good for him and others, they are making money doing what they love, like they give a f**k what some Rulebook Thumping Online Neckbears have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

his most controversial episode

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

goose2005 wrote: »
    his most controversial episode

Is that meant to be the real pewdiepie? He seems to sound a little different to usual (from my limited experience), the sound quality is very low grade and his picture-in-picture is missing from the clip.

It says "sex simulator 2015", would pewdiepie really release something like that knowing full well the ridiculous controversy it would cause? Not to mention severing a huge rift (....damn you internet, ruining my ability to speak english) with the huge muslim following he probably now has? The more I think about it the more I don't understand why he would do it and think it's just some guy with a Scandanavian accent. It's got to be a parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Gamers are odd. Not the normal people who play a bit of FIFA, Golf, GTA etc, but these people who live to play stupid fantasy games and dress up as characters need to get a grip on reality.

Harsh. It seems pretty harmless and it makes them happy. I'm sure there's plenty of community to it too. Sure people in Ireland convince themselves that they're Mancs or Scousers and scream at a telly (sometimes with fake accents) watching millionaires kicking a bit of leather around a field. That's as mental when you think about it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

It's got to be a parody.

It is, look at the uploader

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

CliCliW wrote: »
    TOP OF THE MORNING TO YA LADDIES! I quite enjoy JackSepticEye, not sure how much he makes from it and they're not actually allowed to say but I think it's a nice bit. He must be on about 5Mil subs. He gets a lot of "you make me ashamed to be Irish" comments though, which is something I don't understand. Be ashamed because our country is stereotyped as a nation of raging alcoholics, not because of some random guy on YouTube who shouts at video games!

Ugh, of all the top gaming channels out there, jacksepticeye is the only one I really dislike.

He doesn't make me 'ashamed to be Irish' but I just find him incredibly irritating. If I want to watch an Irish gamer on YT, Nogla is a better channel to watch even though he's a bit odd, but whenever he's with Vanoss, Lui and Delirious I always find him brilliant.

Put it this way - a few of these youtubers combined produce more content, that's watched by more people, than the thousands of people combined in RTE.

Cormac... wrote: »

Shes hot but her voice is bloody annoying.

• Advertisement

It also should be remembered that for every one successful YouTuber, there's thousands that try and fail. I recently joined twitter and the majority of people that have followed me are ones that are trying, but failing. It's no different than movie stars or singers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I was in Easons in Dublin about 2 months ago when I noticed a crowd of teenageers (maily girls) queueing to meet someone behind a curtain. Realising that some of these girls were in tears, balling their eyes out at the thought of meeting whoever was behind the curtain.

I thought it absolutely had to be someone from One Direction or some music star on an autobiography tour.

Nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfie_Deyes

Yeah. Never heard of him too. It was like something out of the Beatles days. Girls crying on the floor.

All for a guy on YouTube.

As I was leaving, I stood outside of the door and I could overhear a woman in her 50's frantacially telling her friend that she needs to come to Dublin now (from Fermoy) because one of the "guys from U2" was in Easons.

Yes, I did tell her not to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I was in Easons in Dublin about 2 months ago when I noticed a crowd of teenageers (maily girls) queueing to meet someone behind a curtain. Realising that some of these girls were in tears, balling their eyes out at the thought of meeting whoever was behind the curtain.

I thought it absolutely had to be someone from One Direction or some music star on an autobiography tour.

Nope.

Yeah. Never heard of him too. It was like something out of the Beatles days. Girls crying on the floor.

As I was leaving, I stood outside of the door and I could overhear a woman in her 50's frantacially telling her friend that she needs to come to Dublin now (from Fermoy) because one of the "guys from U2" was in Easons.

Yes, I did tell her not to bother.

I watch a lot of Alfie's circle of friends such as Marcus Butler, Zoella, ThatcherJoe, Caspar Lee etc... so I know what video you are on about.

Those girls and boys (mainly girls) absolutely baffle me. They are practically hysterical about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

FutureGuy wrote: »

Nope.

Assuming that you feel it would have been more appropriate if it was One Direction, I have to ask what's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Not even close.

So all in he's not making 3-4 million a year, Now by no means is on baked beans and water. But NOT 3-4 million a year

He earned $7.4 million in 2014. That's not an estimate calculated by some random website. It's from a financial filing made by his company in Sweden

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/08/youtube-pewdiepie-annual-earnings-responds-haters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

He earned $7.4 million in 2014. That's not an estimate calculated by some random website. It's from a financial filing made by his company in Sweden

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/08/youtube-pewdiepie-annual-earnings-responds-haters

I know, was talking about his youtube earnings only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I do love when he gets mentioned and you get the eejits saying "hes only shouting and playing games". If its as easy as that then why dont they do it themselves! Do well to get 100 views I'd say. Pewdiepie gets that an hour on his vids. There is skill involved for sure.

No skill really. Charisma combined with good looks can go a long way in this world. Fair play to him tbh, he's made the most from not a whole lot.

And that's a genuine compliment.

Jon Stark wrote: »
    No skill really. Charisma combined with good looks can go a long way in this world. Fair play to him tbh, he's made the most from not a whole lot.

And that's a genuine compliment.
    Video editing is not that easy. Not if you want to get good results anyway. His videos are quite well made tbh. Its not just 10 minutes of work to make a 10 minute video.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I know, was talking about his youtube earnings only.

According to the article that income is from his YouTube videos. It doesn't mention sponsorship or other income streams anyway, although maybe it's all just lumped in together.

With 10 billion total views it wouldn't be unthinkable if he was taking in around $4 million directly from YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Video editing is not that easy. Not if you want to get good results anyway. His videos are quite well made tbh. Its not just 10 minutes of work to make a 10 minute video.

I'd say there's a fair few pretty good at video editing on YouTube, how many can say they have a starring role in a south park episode, of which isn't taking the piss even more impressively!

Advertisement