Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Felix 'PewDiePie' Kjellberg has become the 1st YouTube user to exceed 10billion views

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Sudance wrote: »
    And since you brought it up, how does one validate something as arbitrary as an opinion?

Beats me. That's what I was questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I wonder if the millionaires that worked their asses off day and night for years on end to the exclusion of even their spouse and children would agree.

Edit: make that multimillionaires, there are plenty of millionaires who just got rich by sheer pot luck of buying a house in the right place at the right time, so even less effort expended.
    They should admire him. He found a more efficient way to do it.

Back on topic. i have heard of this guy somewhere, watched 30 seconds of his work and switched off straight away, wondering what sort of idiot would enjoy that.

Its the same with the unboxing shows. Not for me i guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Lol at people ITT calling multi millionaires 'losers'
    Agricola wrote: »
    Old Pewds is the tip of the iceberg. A young lad popped up on my YT recommended videos lately who has just bought a Lamborghini off the back of opening FIFA packs and having what looks to be a mental breakdown in the process. One crazy world.

Actually, Pewdiepie would be the bottom of the iceberg. He just doesn't show it but he by far earns the most out of all these YouTube channels. He's even appeared on South Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Never heard of the guy.

Yeah right. That's what they all say. Do you think we're stupid or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I wonder if the millionaires that worked their asses off day and night for years on end to the exclusion of even their spouse and children would agree.

Edit: make that multimillionaires, there are plenty of millionaires who just got rich by sheer pot luck of buying a house in the right place at the right time, so even less effort expended.

I think they would agree because I think anyone should admire someone that has put in the work to become the best in their field. And pewdiepie has surely put in the work to get where he is.

Or do you think that anyone working in entertainment isn't worthy of admiration?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

My age is in double digits so I really can't see the appeal. A Swedish bloke recording himself mostly screaming and swearing profusely as he plays some games? The kids must love him because he uses rude words.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

They have the Internet on computers now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

His girlfriend is a bit of a fla too

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Never heard of him, but I'm not one for paying attention to youtube users.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

I watch gamers on YouTube, they're great for background noise while you're doing something. I used to watch Pewds for a while but I kinda grew out of him, that said, his video editing has come on AMAZINGLY since the 5 or 6 years since I watched him.

I can remember the people absolutely outraged about pewdie making $4Mil last year. I don't think people realise it's a job he's doing. He's an entertainer, and he has an audience that like him. Editing can take hours of work, so recording an hour of gameplay and cutting it down to 20- 30 minutes video time is no easy feat. Think of all the

There was a video of Jacksepticeye talking about his YouTube life and most of all I got the impression it makes him incredibly lonely. It wouldn't surprise me if many YouTubers are the same. Record the videos and sound needed, edit them together, sync face cam with game footage, render and post video, do pr on social media... it's tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

CliCliW wrote: »
    I watch gamers on YouTube, they're great for background noise while you're doing something. I used to watch Pewds for a while but I kinda grew out of him, that said, his video editing has come on AMAZINGLY since the 5 or 6 years since I watched him.

I can remember the people absolutely outraged about pewdie making $4Mil last year. I don't think people realise it's a job he's doing. He's an entertainer, and he has an audience that like him. Editing can take hours of work, so recording an hour of gameplay and cutting it down to 20- 30 minutes video time is no easy feat. Think of all the

There was a video of Jacksepticeye talking about his YouTube life and most of all I got the impression it makes him incredibly lonely. It wouldn't surprise me if many YouTubers are the same. Record the videos and sound needed, edit them together, sync face cam with game footage, render and post video, do pr on social media... it's tough.

Besides winning the lottery or inheritance, it's the easiest way to make an absolute killing tho. And they're playing bloody games, it's not like they're doing something they don't love. Tough? Get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You say that like this guy didn't work to get where he is either, or didn't sacrifice to get there.

I don't doubt there's more to it than just playing video games - otherwise EVERYONE who is on Youtube playing video games (and there's a lot of them) would be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Andre 3000 wrote:
    Besides winning the lottery or inheritance, it's the easiest way to make an absolute killing tho. And they're playing bloody games, it's not like they're doing something they don't love. Tough? Get out of it.

There's no doubt it's a way to make money, but why this widespread resentment for people who make a living off it?

Andre 3000 wrote: »

That's not necessarily true. I'd say maybe one in ten thousand become anywhere near successful enough to earn any money to live off of what they do online. Plus it's not necessarily just the video games. Each video has a few hours worth of editing in them, and most of these guys would produce a video a day.

I can't stand Pewdiepie, because I just can't get over the over produced twee nonsense that he puts out, but it's obviously working for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'd rather listen to nails on a blackboard. But fair play to him, he's working the system and has made 7 or 8 million from it. He's obviously doing something right.

Collegehumour pretty accurately summed up the majority of YouTube gamers out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Stupid he may be, but he's stupid and turning over about $4m a year.

So eh...yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I don't get the begrudgery, fair play to him earning a few mil for recording himself shouting as he played a video game, hands up all those who wished they had thought of that one first!
    Its not as if the kids watching him are having to pay to view him.

My personal favourite to watch is Achievement Hunt from Rooster Teeth. There's a few of them and the chemistry between them and their humour is what makes it for me.

Plus to How To: With Joel and Adam videos can be amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Anyone any idea how much money he makes From his YT hits? I never even heard of him.

Anyone any idea how much money he makes From his YT hits? I never even heard of him.

He makes between $3m - $4m a year from YouTube/Google.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Only streamer I've ever found genuinely funny is penguinz0, watched his Let's Play of Dark Souls and it was hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

People watch other people playing video games? Seriously wtf is that all about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

People watch other people playing video games? Seriously wtf is that all about.

how is it any different from watching other people playing sports?

This always make me laugh. Let's Play Mari0, it's Mario meets Portal.

NSFW language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

There's no doubt it's a way to make money, but why this widespread resentment for people who make a living off it?

I think because they see it as being something with no substance? So they can't figure out how a thing that has almost zero value can possibly be worth 4 million dollars.

Of course, they are missing the point. Any given individual might consider one of this lads videos to be worth 25 cents but if he can market his 25 cent product to 4 million people then he's just made a million dollars.

I guess people basically feel resentment when they seen someone making millions selling junk to the masses.

It doesn't bother me to be honest but I can understand why it would bother other people.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

orubiru wrote: »
    I think because they see it as being something with no substance? So they can't figure out how a thing that has almost zero value can possibly be worth 4 million dollars.

Of course, they are missing the point. Any given individual might consider one of this lads videos to be worth 25 cents but if he can market his 25 cent product to 4 million people then he's just made a million dollars.

I guess people basically feel resentment when they seen someone making millions selling junk to the masses.

It doesn't bother me to be honest but I can understand why it would bother other people.

The videos are all free to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Cop on to yourself.
    strelok wrote: »
    how is it any different from watching other people playing sports?

You cop on to yourself even more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The videos are all free to watch.

Yup but advertisers are happy to pay to have their adverts appear alongside his videos.

So look at it whichever way you like, he is selling his product to Youtube and their advertisers at between 50 cents and 2.5 dollars per thousand views.

Advertisement