Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Players outside the Provinces 15/16

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

rrpc wrote: »
    That's just not possible. You're talking about players in different leagues in different countries and trying to get them together long enough to train for a match that would have little or no merit.

And to what end? None* of these guys are ever going to play for Ireland, the IRFU aren't going to jump through hoops to keep them sweet.

(*Couple of possible exceptions; Hanrahan, Hart, JOC, Annett maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

The question of whether Meath and Borders/Pontypridd would do better than Treviso/Zebre should be asked too, sadly for the Italians...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

connachta wrote: »
    That's not only the game per se. Which would be better than Uruguay/Emerging Italy. But about maintaining the relationship with Irish rugby, in both way

Except Uruguay and Emerging Italy actually exist and have a life support system.

Logistically next to impossible and financially wasteful. Irish Rugby does not have a sugar daddy to indulge your whims.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The question of whether Meath and Borders/Pontypridd would do better than Treviso/Zebre should be asked too, sadly for the Italians...

What? Of course they couldn't. Because they couldn't exist.

And to what end? None* of these guys are ever going to play for Ireland, the IRFU aren't going to jump through hoops to keep them sweet.

(*Couple of possible exceptions; Hanrahan, Hart, JOC, Annett maybe)

Thanks for the exceptions. I'm ok with you, I'd add Butler and Farrell. 6 at least possible. + one of Sherrif or Darren O'Shea IMO

• Advertisement

What? Of course they couldn't. Because they couldn't exist.

I'm not talking about financial considerations, just pure Rugby ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I would be curious to see how a rest of Leinster would fare against a Dublin team in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Speaking of exiles, Royce Burke-Flynn who came on for Leinster last night has been around the block quite a bit before coming home.

Spent time in Western Province learning his trade while in the Leinster academy, then played for Livorno in Italy, then Montauban in Pro D2 before moving to Doncaster Knights in 2012.

That's a fair bit of useful experience.

Lets bump this up.

Next season we'll also have to keep an eye on

Player Position Team League
    Marty Moore TH Wasps Aviva Premiership
    Ian Madigan OH Bordeaux T15

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

David Mele has signed for Grenoble so it looks like James Hart will definitely be on his way out, the rumour is Racing 92.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭sfbdqc

David Mele has signed for Grenoble so it looks like James Hart will definitely be on his way out, the rumour is Racing 92.

He never plays anyway.

sfbdqc wrote: »
    He never plays anyway.

Munster, Leinster or Ulster would take him I reckon. I think Connacht are well stocked with Marmion, Cooney and Blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Lets bump this up.

Next season we'll also have to keep an eye on

Player Position Team League
    Marty Moore TH Wasps Aviva Premiership
    Ian Madigan OH Bordeaux T15
    Rory Scholes WG Edinbrugh Pro12

JJ at Saints too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

JJ at Saints too.

Well we have to keep on eye on his this season. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

JJ at Saints too.

Unused sub in their win over Saracens at the weekend, doesn't seem to be panning out exactly how he would have planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He strikes me as another Jeremy Staunton or Paddy Wallace. Clearly very talented but not consistent enough for the 10 position. I would like to see him at 12. He could be very good there. Less pressure but still the platform to showcase his obvious abilities.

Certainly good enough to be starting for Munster right now.

Munster, Leinster or Ulster would take him I reckon. I think Connacht are well stocked with Marmion, Cooney and Blade.

Not sure Cooney is staying, maybe going North or back East. And Hart or JJ would be valuable kicking solutions for ChampionsCup next season.

Cooney's future is fairly cloudy.. Heard Porter could be heading North again too.

Hope Leinster bring Cooney home but doesn't look very likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Leinster approached him before and he turned them down. He's happy in France, apparently.

Buer wrote: »
    Leinster approached him before and he turned them down. He's happy in France, apparently.

he barely plays as is.. heard he didn't want to take lesser wages in Ireland fwiw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Unused sub in their win over Saracens at the weekend, doesn't seem to be panning out exactly how he would have planned.

In hindsight it'd have been better if he stayed but equally how was he to know Blyendaal would be so injury prone or that Keatley's form would drop off a cliff.

If I remember right Keatley was doing pretty well for the most part when JJ was on the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Darren O'Shea is a big lump. I'm surprised none of the provinces have tried to tempt him back.
    I see Conor Carey has signed for Connacht. Another good player that Ulster couldn't retain.

So, after Adair has won his QF with Jersey, Hudson, McIliwaine, Heaney and Cusack all in action for B&I cup today (3PM)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

So, after Adair has won his QF with Jersey, Hudson, McIliwaine, Heaney and Cusack all in action for B&I cup today (3PM)

A disappointing season for the provincial A sides with none of them making the semi-finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »
    He strikes me as another Jeremy Staunton or Paddy Wallace. Clearly very talented but not consistent enough for the 10 position. I would like to see him at 12. He could be very good there. Less pressure but still the platform to showcase his obvious abilities.

I always felt he was more of a 12. His decision making at 10 is suspect. Similar to Madigan, he's a little too eager to force a play ahead of time just as a chip or a cross kick when the defence is still set. He's clearly talented but needs to learn how to best utilise those abilities.

The move hasn't been good for him. It did seem for a spell that Mallinder was just easing him into things and was then pushing him ahead of Myler. JJH started 5 of 7 games in a run in December and January. But he has been out in the cold since then and hasn't started a game in 2 months.

I hope he gets enough game time to keep him sharp over the next year but I also wouldn't be too upset to see Myler being retained overall as first choice so Hanrahan comes back to Ireland to try and kick on in his career with a province.

Buer wrote: »
    I always felt he was more of a 12. His decision making at 10 is suspect. Similar to Madigan, he's a little too eager to force a play ahead of time just as a chip or a cross kick when the defence is still set. He's clearly talented but needs to learn how to best utilise those abilities.

The move hasn't been good for him. It did seem for a spell that Mallinder was just easing him into things and was then pushing him ahead of Myler. JJH started 5 of 7 games in a run in December and January. But he has been out in the cold since then and hasn't started a game in 2 months.

I hope he gets enough game time to keep him sharp over the next year but I also wouldn't be too upset to see Myler being retained overall as first choice so Hanrahan comes back to Ireland to try and kick on in his career with a province.

In hindsight, had he stayed at Munster he would be probably be starting now. However if he is being paid the rumoured salary it would have been difficult to turn that down. Had he stayed at Munster and remained second choice for 1 or 2 more seasons then there's no way he would get an offer like it again. In the end players are always at the mercy of one serious injury etc from suddenly making no money.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If only he'd gone to Ulster he'd have had lots of game time while Jackson was away on international duty.

• Advertisement

Lille Metropole have filed for bankruptcy. They were supposed to be promoted to ProD2 for this season but were prevented by the DNACG, the financial watchdog arm of the FFR. Hopefully Luke O'Dea will be able to find a contract elsewhere.

Advertisement