Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taskmaster (Greg Davies sets some comedians daft challenges!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I love Ivo but he is probably a bit of an acquired taste alright.

He was very funny standing in for Ellis James on his 5 live show.

I really enjoyed this week's episode, really want to see that Frankie Boyle picture ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I love them all, and thats saying something cause I could not stand jenny before this!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Have to agree I was dreading her but she is terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah when I saw she was going to be on it I was thinking ah crap. In fairness so far she seems like a bit of craic. It was the same with Judy when she was on, I never particularly warmed to her but she wasn’t annoying like I thought she’d be.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ivo is currently on tour until June, with a new tour starting in September. Unfortunately no Dublin dates for either as yet, but hopefully some might be added on the back of his Taskmaster appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Very good episode tonight but any live task where everyone gets disqualified is underwhelming.

Mae should never have gotten 5 points for the throwing task either

Frankie, Ivo and Kiell were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

"Grandma's getting frisky, No.60".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

God tonight's episode is woeful so far.

I haven't even smiled once watching it never mind laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

Utter scut. Especially that music task

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah it's not really doing it for me this season. Frankie and Ivo have their moments, but the others just feel a bit bland. Some of the tasks haven't been great either.

The live task was a joke. Kinda kills it putting Mae so far ahead

I feel the same. Yep bland is best word to describe them, you need a few mad characters for task Masters and just not there this year along with task not being great.

Has it run its course I wonder?

Series 13 & 14 were both outstanding, this one is a huge let down.

Alex should also have told Ivo how much time they'd left for the spoon task, he didn't read out the task

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'm enjoying this season but tonight's episode was a weak episode bar a couple of very funny moments.

I despised the scoring in the last two tasks mind. Giving three people fifteen points and the other two zero pretty much means they're out of the series.

The 5 points for the spoon task, can't really argue with. It's fair enough that the team of 3 won those points. The live task, it probably should have been something like they could win 2 bonus points if they guessed the amount of items correctly, or if they were wrong, Frankie & Ivo would get one point for each number they were out by. Or each team could guess for their own bonus points. The trouble with the live team tasks though is that they can be hugely unbalanced.

To be honest, from listening to the Taskmaster podcast, Mae was always likely to be a very strong contender regardless. Does a lot of escape rooms, very competitive etc. Ivo would probably have been the closest, but yeah this episode has likely put him so far behind that it's over. I can't see Jenny winning overall even though she might be in the lead at the minute.

It's still a fine series, but the last two series were just so great and a fantastic return to form that this one is just weaker by comparison. Still better than the Covid no-audience series, but Mae just feels a bit "Do the task as well as possible and get out", and Kiell feels like he's trying too hard. His ideas for a lot of tasks are so awful, and the execution of them even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Ivo’s twist made me smile but the music and final task were poorly thought out. I haven’t minded this season but Mrs Dodge has given up completely on it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Mae is amusing in some tasks but they seem overly focused on the competition rather than on the entertainment side of it. There's frequently a contestant with that level of competitiveness (Gamble, Sterling etc.) but its usually counterbalanced with good humour whereas I just find Mae fine and serviceable whilst somehow never being boring or interesting.

Agreed on the spoon task, what I more so meant with that task is that it compounded the bad scoring decision on the final task. You're right on the final task though that it should have been a bonus two points or even "to keep those points, you need to now guess how many items were put in, otherwise the opposition team get them". Also, I didn't see it mentioned but did both teams have the same amount of items to put into the outfit?

Yeah I think both teams had the exact same items (especially since Frankie read the number 29 from their birthday card and that was the same number that Mae had counted). I guess they left it to the team of three since it would be easier for two of them to get more things in, and take things out to count them, as opposed to Frankie having to do it on his own.

Can't really see why it wasn't an individual task. Put as many items in your own waders as you can, then second part of the task is to count how many items you'd put in. If you have to come up with a way to counterbalance the unfairness of a team task, especially a live task, it probably needs to be looked at again. The only real time it came up before was Series 9 with transferring a drawing on your teams back, where the girls had a team of 3 which was harder, but to counterbalance it, "You're with David Baddiel"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Mae Martin up there as one of the worst ever TM contestants for me. Just excruciatingly bland. Actually almost ruining the series for me.

• Advertisement

Wtf is this first task.

How is this funny? Absolutely stupid.

Mae seems incredibly nervous on stage. I do like her in that they seem fairly sound but they're playing it too straight

It's a bit like having someone from the general public on it

I'd put Paul Sinha, Sian Gibson, Sarah Kendall, Richard Herring and Russell Howard below Mae. Probably one or two others as well

It's all subjective anyway but saying you think she's slightly better than those you (presumably) perceive as being the worst contestants isn't much of a defence at all!

I'd probably agree with most of the above being poor anyhow, although Paul & Richard weren't as bad on second viewing at all.

Charlotte Ritchie, Alice Levine & Katy Wix (to a degree) weren't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Mae is battling with Lolly from Season 4 as the blandest contestant imo. Nobody else comes close.

And no doubt we'll have to put up with them in the next champion of champions as well.

Still a weak series unfortunately. I find myself checking my phone if it's not Frankie or Ivo. Most of the studio stuff isn't that great either, though Alex correcting Ivo's grammar was probably the biggest laugh of the episode.

It's all subjective but I really like Lolly. The first time I watched season 4 she went a bit under the radar but on repeat viewings, I found her really good on the show

Don't think I'll ever rewatch S10 although Richard was good on CoC to be fair

As much as I love the Wozniak, I tried to rewatch season 11 but found it a bit of a struggle with Covid having such an impact on how it was filmed

She definitely had her moments, but I think the hard part is she was just completely outshone by the others in the series. Even Charlotte Ritchie was a bit bland, but Greg was able to pull a lot of humour out of her in the studio by making fun of how she was like a primary school teacher.

Mae is just doing well, not really messing up, nothing particularly great or hilarious in their tasks, not really funny in the studio.

• Advertisement

Rather ironic that they called the egg task the worst in 15 series when in actual fact, the preceding task strongly fits that category!

Advertisement