Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Ah thanks Wuffly, on my last appointment the sonographer said the position of my placenta may make it more difficult to feel movement but then when I went to the consultant he said 'the placenta is exactly where we want it.' This is where I should have asked a question but didn't lol! I left a message for the mid wife to phone me back this morning, just missed their call so hopefully will get another shortly. I am going to join some groups and make a plan of next steps. Its not the hospitals fault either, I suppose I just need to be more vocal and ask questions. I have my list compiled already.

You know I have no clue if there is support from a district nurse, I must ask some of my friends that have kids. Interestingly majority of friends chose not to breastfeed particularly within my close group of friends. My husbands friends wife has offered some info which I have gone through although she just had her own baby so don't want to over burden her with questions. Hard to believe there is only a few weeks left in the second trimester. I'm dying to meet this little person!

The midwife rang me today and she was absolutely lovely. She actually pre-empted what I was going to ask based on my chart she had looked at beforehand. Apparently I have an anterior placenta which is less common and it is therefore acting like a cushion to feeling the babies movement and I am feeling them quite low due to the baby kicking below the placenta. She gave me a link to this site which is really useful and some great info on an anterior placenta. Would have been better if my doctor had explained this before. I also need to get my ass in gear and book into an antenatal class which I will do today.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

That's great that you got to talk to the Mid Wife Kathy at least now you know what's going on, pity the consultant couldn't have explained that to you in the first place though.

Started getting really annoying back(and ass:eek:) twinges in the last week, don't really know what's causing it, literally just back up to pre-pregnancy weight even though i have a proper bump now, seems to have come out of nowhere all of a sudden! I would kill for a proper hot bath!

Booked a hospital tour for the end of the month and antenatal class in March, so a few more things knocked off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Hi ladies, had a bereavement which really set me back so haven't been on in a while. Kathy I can totally relate to your clueless feeling (from when I had no.1). I learned everything from forums, it's sad that it is like that and it shouldn't be that way but that's the world we live in!

Ante-natal classes:
    I found out, too late, that the ones in the hospital which are free and public to all book out months and months in advance. It seems that if you are public, they tell you about them at your first GP visit and that's why the public patients make sure to book their place well well in advance. It seemed to me anyway that coz I was a private patient, no-one bothered to tell me about them as they assumed i'd be paying for private ante-natal classes. By the time I found out about the public ones (on a forum!) I rang up and they had very few/no dates left. So ring the maternity hospital ASAP and see if you can book in. In terms of when to do them, the closer to the birth the better so the info will be fresh in your mind. I also did a private 1 day ante-natal class which was excellent. I got different things from both ante-natal classes actually I have to say. My VHI gave me money back for the private ante-natal class as well. My consultant recommended the private one to me that's how I found out about it but you could google for your area

BF classes:
    Same applies here. There are public ones in the hospital which are free to all that book out months and months (and months!) in advance. Again I didnt'find out about them until it was too late. By the time I rang they only had dates available after my due date. I did a private BF course which was a one day one as well - 5 hours. It was amazing and helped me an unbelievable amount. I would say in this one especially, do it as close to the birth as you possibly can or else you'll have forgotten everything. We got a booklet with it which I brought to the hospital with me and used during the first few days. There are 4 or 5 classic things that go wrong with breastfeeding and she went through each of them and what to do about it. That bit was amazing to have in the booklet coz your head does be frazzled and at least one of those things is going to go wrong for you, it does for everyone! In my case I didn't have latch issues (which would probably be the main thing that goes wrong) but I did have sleepy baby syndrome - she kept falling asleep at the boob! Luckily this was covered in the course/booklet as well so I had something to refer to. The HSE run breastfeeding clubs, look up the ones in your area. They typically meet every fortnight. You go in and chat to other mothers and also go into the midwife and they'll weight your baby and you can have a chat. The maternity hospital may have their own in-house lactation consultant as well. CUMH does and she has an open house every Wed which I also went to (as an outpatient) while you're an inpatient the lactation consultant should visit you in your room if you need (or in CUMH she gave breastfeeding classes in the wards).

Hope that helps

Wuffly how is the twinges in your back holding up? How do you find the heat over there when pregnant?

Lucuma so sorry for your loss. I was wondering if everything was ok as you had been so quiet. Hope you are looking after yourself. How is everything else and the pregnancy?

Thanks so much for the info above. Yeh I am private and didn't hear a whole lot about the public classes or the fact they may book out fast. I was always intending on doing the private one anyway as couldn't face a trek into town after work for weeks on end. Booked us in for mid March. I am going to be proactive and try put some questions together for the day.

Thanks also for the breastfeeding information. There is a lactation consultant in my area so I was going to call her and maybe do a one to one beforehand and then another when the baby is born. I am definitely going to enquire about your suggestions above at my next scan.

Have made some good progress this weekend, my husband was away at a stag so it gave me some good time to get into the shops pick up some bits with my mam and then sort through them all. We also bought the cot and a unit for the nursery, I love designing rooms so this will be a fun task for me.

I was shattered after going around the shops. I had some aches and pains last night, almost like very minor period like cramps and honestly think my baby grew overnight, got a few comments today I look proper pregnant since Friday! Heartburn has also kicked in, this is something I am prone to anyway and have mostly avoided but it woke me last night. Hoping its not a sign of things to come!!!

Hope all you other girls are well. Teggers haven't seen you about in a while. :)

• Advertisement

Wuffly how is the twinges in your back holding up? How do you find the heat over there when pregnant?

Lucuma so sorry for your loss. I was wondering if everything was ok as you had been so quiet. Hope you are looking after yourself. How is everything else and the pregnancy?

Thanks so much for the info above. Yeh I am private and didn't hear a whole lot about the public classes or the fact they may book out fast. I was always intending on doing the private one anyway as couldn't face a trek into town after work for weeks on end. Booked us in for mid March. I am going to be proactive and try put some questions together for the day.

Thanks also for the breastfeeding information. There is a lactation consultant in my area so I was going to call her and maybe do a one to one beforehand and then another when the baby is born. I am definitely going to enquire about your suggestions above at my next scan.

Have made some good progress this weekend, my husband was away at a stag so it gave me some good time to get into the shops pick up some bits with my mam and then sort through them all. We also bought the cot and a unit for the nursery, I love designing rooms so this will be a fun task for me.

I was shattered after going around the shops. I had some aches and pains last night, almost like very minor period like cramps and honestly think my baby grew overnight, got a few comments today I look proper pregnant since Friday! Heartburn has also kicked in, this is something I am prone to anyway and have mostly avoided but it woke me last night. Hoping its not a sign of things to come!!!

Hope all you other girls are well. Teggers haven't seen you about in a while. :)

Very sorry for your loss Lucuma, hope you and baby are doing ok. It can be so hard when you are away and when your pregnant too.

The twinges are coming and going using one of those heat thingys (not too hot) on my back and it helps. Getting pains in my pelvis if that makes sense, going to the Dr on Sat so will say it to her, feels sort of like a bruise, can't really describe it. I have ligament pain around the bump goes from my belly button back to the side, I've a feeling its the stretching of scare tissue from my cyst removal surgery a few years ago, they all just come and go. Feel like an old lady when I move sometimes! Anyone else feel like their belly button is about to pop?

Hope the heartburn passes Kathy, been feeling nauseous again the last week, really hoping the sickness isn't making a come back. Have fun organising the nursery I'm the same, love all that sort of stuff, picking up our cot and changing table next month, so tinkering with ideas in the mean time. I think OH is glad its not our own house so there won't be any painting or anything like that!
    Its not too hot here at the moment, its the nicest part of the year, warm days and cool evenings. Work is always freezing anyway, I wear 2-3 layers and a scarf most days, a few people have the AC on way too cold... half the reason I've had so many UTI's!

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Sounds like sciatia or SPD you might have Wuffly? Is the pain in your pelvis at the back or front? If it's the back it could be sciatia and if it's the front (pubic joint) it could be SPD. I have SPD and it's a curse.
    I have heartburn too but I medicate it so it doesn't bother me. If I didn't woah.....I'd be in agony all day and especially at night.
    Baby's kicking is really annoying me these days, it feels frantic half the time! I do think when I'm stressed (which is a lot lately) the kicking becomes more energetic.
    On the first pregnancy things like ''oh wow I can see the inside of the bottom of my belly button'' and other such novelties kept me going but all that stuff is old hat this time around and so I concluded long ago on this pregnancy, without the novelty factor being pregnant sucks! Sorry to be a moaner ha

Just googled that Lucuma... sounds about right! Great, another one for my list! :eek:

Hope you are doing ok, at least we are on the count down side of things now.
    Moan away!

I'd happily crawl under my desk and sleep for the day, think I'm going to have to take a few days off soon. I'm shattered.

Lucuma thanks again for the advice. Rang the hospital this morning and booked into a one on one breastfeeding class, apparently everyone in the private clinic is entitled to it. Its an hour and a half long so will be good to get advice from her. Eeek hope you both are feeling OK, I heard SPD can be very sore. I feel very lucky as I don't have a huge amount of complaints.

Also moan away. I am so tried lately and finding it very hard to get out of bed in the morning. Now I have never been a morning person but I just feel wrecked all the time. I booked next Monday off to have a bit longer of a weekend. I just need some down time. God knows how I will feel in 3 months time if I am so tired now!!! Hoping it will lift soon.

Ha Lucuma I would totally take a weeks worth of kicks from you as I don't feel a whole lot still. Only feel them very low. They are literally sitting on my bladder, I pee so much, sometimes I feel like I need to pee again just as I get back to my desk. :confused: I don't know if its just coincidence or not but they then to respond back when I rub in circular motions and press in a little bit. They did it last night for me. My husband doesn't like my pressing or rubbing as he is afraid I will hurt them but I am pretty sure they are well protected? Anyway if you can't moan here where can you moan. Please look after yourself Lucuma sounds like you have had a rough time the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

Kathy22 wrote: »

Thanks so much for the info above. Yeh I am private and didn't hear a whole lot about the public classes or the fact they may book out fast. I was always intending on doing the private one anyway as couldn't face a trek into town after work for weeks on end.

. :)

That's funny, the ones in Cork are just a 2 part and take place more during the day time. And if you're not a first time mother it's just a 1 part refresher class. Of course by the time I got around to ringing CUMH to get a place on the one for 2nd timers, it was all booked out! Ah I think I remember it all anyway. I was a real swot on the first pregancy. Read not 1`but 2 pregnancy books cover-to-cover, as well as being on numerous forums as well as doing the private ante-natal class and the public one! I gorged on information. Think I can remember most of it.

Kathy the 1-on-1 BF course sounds great. I'll be bringing my notes from the BF course with me again to the hospital and hopefully I'll remember the rest. I was very Lucky with dd, she came out of the womb and latched onto the boob before we'd even left the delivery suite and I latched her on myself using what I learned in the course and when midwife came back into the room and checked she said the latch was ''perfect''. I was very proud of myself ! :-D

I think I just got Lucky with dd in general, great baby all round. No breastfeeding issues. Never got colic or anything, a bit of reflux alright but it was fixable with OTC gaviscon infant (never got bad enough to need the prescription Zantac drops or baby losec) she slept through from 4 months. Never got sick sick. The odd temperature that needs calpol/neurofen but I've still never seen her puke or need to take a prescription medicine and she's 17 months now. So I'll have another one of them please!!!! (what are the chances.....karma dictates the next one will be a nightmare now!)

Oh you can have some of my kicks and movement! I don't like them at all on this pregnancy, they don't feel nice, they make me feel all jittery. And really annoying at night when I'm trying to sleep.

Kathy the 1-on-1 BF course sounds great. I'll be bringing my notes from the BF course with me again to the hospital and hopefully I'll remember the rest. I was very Lucky with dd, she came out of the womb and latched onto the boob before we'd even left the delivery suite and I latched her on myself using what I learned in the course and when midwife came back into the room and checked she said the latch was ''perfect''. I was very proud of myself ! :-D

I think I just got Lucky with dd in general, great baby all round. No breastfeeding issues. Never got colic or anything, a bit of reflux alright but it was fixable with OTC gaviscon infant and comfort formula (never got bad enough to need the prescription Zantac drops or baby losec) she slept through from 4 months. Never got sick sick. The odd temperature that needs calpol/neurofen but I've still never seen her puke or need to take a prescription medicine and she's 17 months now. So I'll have another one of them please!!!! (what are the chances.....karma dictates the next one will be a nightmare now!)

Oh you can have some of my kicks and movement! I don't like them at all on this pregnancy, they don't feel nice, they make me feel all jittery. And really annoying at night when I'm trying to sleep.

Oh and the poking and prodding won't hurt baby, they're in a big sack of fluid!

Wow Lucuma that sounds great. I really hope we luck out with an easy baby but I suppose I will take anything at this stage as long as they are healthy and happy. Baby has been quiet yesterday and today, more so than usual, kind of freaking me out. I'm trying to remain calm and collected and perhaps they are just having a lazy day, ill see how they pick up in the afternoon. I felt little movements but they are higher than normal and harder to feel, my guess behind the placenta, I usually feel them very low just at my knicker line which the midwife said was below my placenta. I hate having an anterior placenta :(

I have a question regarding sleeping arrangement. What are peoples plans? We bought a moses basket for downstairs which I will leave there. Then we have the big cot in the nursery which I'm guessing they won't sleep in until they are 6 months old or so, its quite big and I doubt we will move it into our room. I was thinking of getting a small crib for our room which we can also use as a travel cot. I was looking at the nexttome crib which we might pick up if it is discounted at the mamasandpapas evening tonight.

Also Lucuma just wanted to get your thoughts on the antenatal class, is the private one day class enough or should I try get into the public one as well. Rang them this morning and went round the houses on the phone so gave up. May just ask the midwife at my next appointment.

Sounds like a dream baby Lucuma, where can I order one?! :D
    Hope we get plenty of BF info on our antenatal course, would love to get off to such a great start. Might look into meeting the midwife/BF nurse before hand sounds like it really helped.

Too much or too little movement worries me Kathy, baby was going mental the other night I thought there must have been something wrong in there it was so frantic. then super quiet the next day, tired i supposed! I guess its just first timer worry, I'm sure all is well and at least you know why you aren't feeling as many kicks. My friends husband is the same, and she's like have you seen how much poking goes on at the scans! the baby is grand! When is your next checkup?

This kid has loads of places to sleep a guy at work was getting rid of a rocking crib and when OH when to pick it up his wife gave us a moses basket and a load of other stuff, we've bought a cot as well. OH jokes i've turned into some sort of procurement manager, picking up bits online and 2nd hand! Will probably have the cot in babies room the crib in ours, and the moses basket in the living room... not sure we need them all but they were free so can't complain. the crib and moses basket will only be used until we go home so glad we didn't buy either. My brother in law and his wife's youngest just turned one so they have a everything we might need at home, will save us doubling up and or lugging stuff over and back. Only catch is they don't want any of it back! lol!

Its the weekend here at last, can't wait to get home and sleep! take care ladies!

Kathy I can't walk past a freebie, hence why I booked into the public ante natal classes as well as doing the private one. It would just annoy me if there was something available for free and I didn't avail of it! (this is a trait of mine that really annoys my husband...) But I actually did learn different things at both classes. For example at the public one she held up a diagram and showed us the difference between 1st degree, 2nd degree, 3rd degree & 4th degree tears - so we could see how far back each one goes - lovely! They didn't do that at the private one. The public one also showed how to install the maxi cosi in your car etc, they didnt'do that at the private one either. But the private one they were more honest about just how many tubes/wires are hanging out of you and off you if you get an epidural or have to be induced or both.

I would do both if it's convenient.

Wuffly how many weeks after your due date are ye planning on coming back to Ireland? And how long will ye stay in Ireland for then before heading back over again?

I'll be using a moses basket for the first few months. Last time we went from moses basket to cot at 4 months, that was also when we moved her out of our room as well (like you Kathy the cot was in the nursery). It went fine.

I was very strict last time about not letting the baby sleep in the bed with me and Always putting her in the moses basket. I swaddled her at night time so she'd know the difference between night and day so she'd sleep swaddled in her moses basket at night time. During the day she was usually asleep in the sling hanging off me. This time around i'm thinking of being a bit more relaxed about her sleeping in the bed with me, might get a cocoon type thing so she can sleep in the bed. I had fierce trouble sleeping (not the baby, me!) the last time so I'm thinking if the baby was asleep in the bed next to me instead of the In/out, in/out of the moses basket all night maybe I'd sleep better? I'll try it anyway. I'd try anything!

Oh Kathy that Chicco crib looks great. I don't have space for a side sleeper like that in our bedroom I'm afraid. If I had the space I'd definitely get one. The more options you have for sleeping for baby the better! It's definitely never a waste of money to spend it on anything to do with sleeping......getting baby to sleep will become your obession so it's the one thing I'd throw money at :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Hi ladies. Hope you're all doing well? Haven't been online much the past few days.
    In hospital at the moment having glucose intolerance tests. Had to fast from 8pm last night. I'm STARVING! :O

teggers5 wrote: »
    Hi ladies. Hope you're all doing well? Haven't been online much the past few days.
    In hospital at the moment having glucose intolerance tests. Had to fast from 8pm last night. I'm STARVING! :O

Oh no. Is that to test for pregnancy diabetes?

Wuffly meant to say to you, it's a woman's health physio you need to see for the Sciatia/SPD if that's what you have. I've seen 3 physios in the last fortnight for my SPD, first two were crap and the 3rd one was excellent so I'm going to stick with her. She actually did physio on me (hurt like hell that's when you know it'll work!) unlike the other 2.

I also have instructions now on how to do everything...how to get in and out of the car, how to get up and down from sitting, how to get in and out of bed, how to get dressed and undressed, how to wee and do no.2 (I'm serious!) even how to toss and turn in bed (which is something I do a lot of haha). You have to keep it in mind every move you make to try to stop it from getting worse.

The real bad cases end up on crutches. I wasn't that bad last time. Good news is it disappeared the minute I gave birth

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Hi all, i've been following thus thread for a few months now as my wife is expecting on the 19th of May. There have been some sad times for folk here, and I empathise with you all, we have suffered several miscarriages and a missed miscarriage with twins which led to a DNC and left us both in really bad place, but we got through it and have a viable pregnancy.
    I'm post here now looking for some help. My wife is having a hard time sleeping the last 2 weeks, she had a flu 2 weeks ago which we thought was the cause of restless nights, the cold has shifted but in the last two nights she has only had about 4 hours sleep. Has anyone here had any problems with sleep deprivation?
    The best a GP could offer is to take piriton to cause drowsiness. She has been drinking decaf tea and avoided any other source of caffeine as much as possible, relaxing bath salts and aromatherapy around the house and a few drops of lavender on her pillow. All to no benefit. I fear that a lack of sleep is going to drive her mad! Work have been very accommodating and are insisting she takes as long as she needs befor going back so I don't think it's stress that's causing the lack of sleep.
    Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
    Liam

• Advertisement

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Hi all, i've been following thus thread for a few months now as my wife is expecting on the 19th of May. There have been some sad times for folk here, and I empathise with you all, we have suffered several miscarriages and a missed miscarriage with twins which led to a DNC and left us both in really bad place, but we got through it and have a viable pregnancy.
    I'm post here now looking for some help. My wife is having a hard time sleeping the last 2 weeks, she had a flu 2 weeks ago which we thought was the cause of restless nights, the cold has shifted but in the last two nights she has only had about 4 hours sleep. Has anyone here had any problems with sleep deprivation?
    The best a GP could offer is to take piriton to cause drowsiness. She has been drinking decaf tea and avoided any other source of caffeine as much as possible, relaxing bath salts and aromatherapy around the house and a few drops of lavender on her pillow. All to no benefit. I fear that a lack of sleep is going to drive her mad! Work have been very accommodating and are insisting she takes as long as she needs befor going back so I don't think it's stress that's causing the lack of sleep.
    Liam

Liam I've been suffering with pregnancy insomnia since the first trimester. 4 hours is a normal/good night for me. I usually get 4 or 5. (I'd be an 8-9 hour person under normal circumstances). You just have to pare back your lifestyle to compensate for the fact that you have very little energy. I no longer cycle to work for example. There's no way I could do sports etc. I went for a long walk last Sunday and I was absolutely exhausted after it. You just have to conserve energy. I work 5 days a week 9-5 but it's a desk job so I can manage it. It's my eyes at the computer that kill me. They are so dry and sore from the lack of sleep. I put drops in all day and look away from the screen into the distance where possible but it's just a countdown to mat leave for me really! I'll be stopping work 5 weeks before due date.

Howcome she's not at work? The blocked nose is a contributary factor to my insomnia. If both nostrils are blocked I have to breathe through my mouth all night so it gets parched/dry and I keep waking up to take sips of water. Blocked nose is another common pregnancy symptom and I keep getting colds as well. If my nose isn't blocked, I sleep a bit better than the nights when my nose is blocked. My usual is go to bed around 9pm, wake to wee at some time between 1am and 3am and I'm often awake then til the alarm clock goes off at 7:30. I am stubborn though, I stay in the bed and just lie there all night even if I'm awake. I try to chill out about the whole thing and then I find that I do drift in and out of dreams for short periods. So i'm getting snatches between 2am and 7am, and then I Always get that block at the start from when I go to bed til I wake to wee, I'm running on that block really.

I find the more you worry about insomnia the worse it gets. That's why I just accept it now and live with it, I don't let myself get upset or anxious about it. And that's why I'm still getting the few hours. You can learn to survive on 4 hours honestly! And hopefully once we have our babies it'll go away - oh wait we dont'get any sleep then either though!!! Well at least a few months after baby's born when they start sleeping through the night you get your night's sleep back, I'm counting down to that (about 7 months away for me IF this baby sleeps through from 4mo like my first daughter did)

She can take an anti-depressent like prozac to ease stress and anxiety and that in turn should lead to better sleep. If it doesn't get better and she's really suffering over it, the anti-d is the course of action I'd recommend. Tell her to ask her GP. They will also give sleeping pills or anxiety meds like Xanax to pregnant women in extreme cases, but she'd have to get referred to a psychiatrist for that I'd say, GP can refer her.

Liam

Liam I've been suffering with pregnancy insomnia since the first trimester. 4 hours is a normal/good night for me. I usually get 4 or 5. (I'd be an 8-9 hour person under normal circumstances). You just have to pare back your lifestyle to compensate for the fact that you have very little energy. I no longer cycle to work for example. There's no way I could do sports etc. I went for a long walk last Sunday and I was absolutely exhausted after it. You just have to conserve energy. I work 5 days a week 9-5 but it's a desk job so I can manage it. It's my eyes at the computer that kill me. They are so dry and sore from the lack of sleep. I put drops in all day and look away from the screen into the distance where possible but it's just a countdown to mat leave for me really! I'll be stopping work 5 weeks before due date.

Howcome she's not at work? The blocked nose is a contributary factor to my insomnia. If both nostrils are blocked I have to breathe through my mouth all night so it gets parched/dry and I keep waking up to take sips of water. Blocked nose is another common pregnancy symptom and I keep getting colds as well. If my nose isn't blocked, I sleep a bit better than the nights when my nose is blocked. My usual is go to bed around 9pm, wake to wee at some time between 1am and 3am and I'm often awake then til the alarm clock goes off at 7:30. I am stubborn though, I stay in the bed and just lie there all night even if I'm awake. I try to chill out about the whole thing and then I find that I do drift in and out of dreams for short periods. So i'm getting snatches between 2am and 7am, and then I Always get that block at the start from when I go to bed til I wake to wee, I'm running on that block really.

I find the more you worry about insomnia the worse it gets. That's why I just accept it now and live with it, I don't let myself get upset or anxious about it. And that's why I'm still getting the few hours. You can learn to survive on 4 hours honestly! And hopefully once we have our babies it'll go away - oh wait we dont'get any sleep then either though!!! Well at least a few months after baby's born when they start sleeping through the night you get your night's sleep back, I'm counting down to that (about 7 months away for me IF this baby sleeps through from 4mo like my first daughter did)

She can take an anti-depressent like prozac to ease stress and anxiety and that in turn should lead to better sleep. If it doesn't get better and she's really suffering over it, the anti-d is the course of action I'd recommend. Tell her to ask her GP. They will also give sleeping pills or anxiety meds like Xanax to pregnant women in extreme cases, but she'd have to get referred to a psychiatrist for that I'd say, GP can refer her.

Liam

Hi Liam. Welcome to the thread. I have no problems sleeping really except like Lacuma when I have had pregnancy related sinus issues. Is something in particular keeping her awake, is she uncomfortable? I find a pregnancy pillow helps me settle into a comfortable position with it between my legs. I have this one . I also find if I overheat I get uncomfortable so I usually have to keep the bedroom door open and also sleep with less covers. One thing that is great in pregnancy and I always find myself super tired and sleepy after is yoga. I do it once a week but know the moves myself so usually do it to relax and wind down. Hopefully she can get more rest soon.

Thanks for the support guys and feedback on sleeping, think we will go with the next to me crib as well. Teggers I hope you are OK, good to hear back from you. Are you in over night or just for tests? Hopefully the results are good, fingers and toes crossed!

Well my worry got the better of me yesterday, after phoning the midwife she told me to go to the emergency room. They were wonderful in there and there was such a difference between my visit in early pregnancy. I was seen straight away and put on a monitor to track the heartbeat and movement. Did that for about 30 minutes, had to press a button when I felt some movement. Heartbeat was strong and baby was moving so all good. I cried like a baby when I heard them, god I felt sick with worry. Then after that I saw a doctor, my placenta is slap bang in the middle and the only part exposed is the baby's feet as it is in breech position at the moment. She said I might not feel much as given the position its unlikely to move too much out of the way :( The doctor was so nice and had an anterior placenta herself, she brought me through it on the scan and showed me how thick it was compared to skin and muscle. Apparently i have a nice fat healthy placenta anyway LOL!!! I might be monitored a bit more but I'm glad I went in and they were very kind and said I did the right thing. So glad baby is OK. Jesus the sooner they arrive the better!!!!

Thanks for the support guys and feedback on sleeping, think we will go with the next to me crib as well. Teggers I hope you are OK, good to hear back from you. Are you in over night or just for tests? Hopefully the results are good, fingers and toes crossed!

Well my worry got the better of me yesterday, after phoning the midwife she told me to go to the emergency room. They were wonderful in there and there was such a difference between my visit in early pregnancy. I was seen straight away and put on a monitor to track the heartbeat and movement. Did that for about 30 minutes, had to press a button when I felt some movement. Heartbeat was strong and baby was moving so all good. I cried like a baby when I heard them, god I felt sick with worry. Then after that I saw a doctor, my placenta is slap bang in the middle and the only part exposed is the baby's feet as it is in breech position at the moment. She said I might not feel much as given the position its unlikely to move too much out of the way :( The doctor was so nice and had an anterior placenta herself, she brought me through it on the scan and showed me how thick it was compared to skin and muscle. Apparently i have a nice fat healthy placenta anyway LOL!!! I might be monitored a bit more but I'm glad I went in and they were very kind and said I did the right thing. So glad baby is OK. Jesus the sooner they arrive the better!!!!

Glad to hear you got on well Kathy. Its such a worrying time. I was just in hospital for the morning. 3 blood tests one hour apart. Back to work then for the afternoon.
    Hi Liam, congrats to you and your wife on the pregnancy. Sorry I can't offer much on the insomnia as I was never a great sleeper even before I was pregnant.
    I also have that pillow that Kathy mentioned and would be lost without it now. I try get as comfy as possible with lots of pillows and hope for the best but still never manage to get more than a couple of hours of broken sleep. Good practice for when baby comes I suppose! Lol

Had my dr apt yesterday, borderline for another UTI :mad: I mentioned the pelvic pains but she didn't recommend physio yet as I'm not struggling to walk? If it gets worse I'll go back to her or my GP about it. The UTI thing caught me unawares so I let it go fairly quickly, she think's I'm possibly a bit anemic also, waiting on those results as well. Baby is all good, just me that's a wreck! She did mention she'll sign me sick off whenever I want before the baby comes, hadn't even asked so that's good to know.

Lucuma, I'm planning to go home as soon as baby's passport comes through and then for 2months roughly There is provision for 100 days (unpaid) medical leave for maternity complications in the labour law if you can get your dr to sign off, its generally hard to get but starting to think mine will be open to it, so will see how its all going and possibly avail of that if I can/need to.

Kathy glad you got checked out and all is ok and nice to meet nice people that explain everything. And lovely to see baby and hear the heart beat again!

Teggers hope the test went ok for you, most of the girls here have had it, a few of them ended up getting sick that drink was so sugary. No word of it from my dr so hoping to avoid it. Hope you are keeping well.

Liam congrats, I don't have any advice on the insomnia but I have found the pregnancy pillow keeps me in place during the night so I don't move and get myself into an awkward position that wakes me up. Getting away with not waking up to pee at night yet, but I don't know how much longer that will last, and baby has taken to waking for the local mosque's call to prayer at 5am which i am not happy about! Like a few others have said if she can get something to clear her sinus's that should help. Apparently women produce a lot of extra mucus when they are pregnant, which causes a lot of these blockages etc..(TMI I have a never ending yeast infection as a result.) If its making her miserable get her to a dr and get them to prescribe something. Reallt starting to notice that women are far too inclined to suffer needlessly with pregnancy stuff and a lot of dr's are inclined to let them. Its hard enough! Hope your wife and you are doing ok in general, it's hard to relax into pregnancy after misscarriage, take care

Kathy that must be hard alright with the anterior placenta. All the advice at this stage says 'if you notice a decrease in movement contact Dr' etc but you can't tell if there's a decrease in movement or not, that must be head-wrecking!
    Teggars fingers x'd you don't have pdiabetes.
    Wuffly I can relate on baby being grand while we're shook!! But it would be worse if it was the other way around eh...

Oh the irony. Baby has been moving like mad since my return from the hospital. I actually think they may have moved position as I am feeling movement much higher than I have before. I was watching a show on my phone which was resting on my belly and they gave it a kick off a few times. I can't express how much I love these movements. We went away for the night and my lovely husband had booked me a mum to be massage, was lovely and so relaxing. Also got super organised this weekend and lost the plot in next and baby Gap. I think I am pretty much sorted now clothes wise!! Heartburn is killing me at the moment, I have been subscribed losec but its not even working, God I hope its not a constant thing but has been for the last few days!

Teggers did you get the results for pregnancy diabetes? Hopefully its good news.

Wuffy hopefully the UTI clears up, they can be a bitch. Did you get antibiotics or anything?

Lucuma hope your getting on well.

Third and last trimester is finally on the horizon! So many people have said enjoy it and that it goes so fast. I feel like its going so slow!!!

• Advertisement

Lol Kathy, that's just typical!
    Having lots of movement is so reassuring though isn't it.
    I'm loving it too especially when the insomnia kicks in, it's like I gave someone to keep me company.

No results from the blood test yet. The nurse said unless something was wrong I wouldn't get them until my next hospital appointment which is Friday week. So fingers crossed I don't hear anything from them. Although my Gp had said I was slightly anemic 2 weeks ago. I've changed back to taking Galfer instead of Spatone and am feeling a lot better so hopefully that's sorted..

When is everybody's next scan?
    I'm pretty sure the midwife said mine was at 32 weeks but I'm gonna ask for one at my next appointment in two weeks. The placenta being low is playing on my mind a lot since last scan. My first son was born at 28 weeks because of placenta trouble..

Advertisement