Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

A lot of thought is being put into what Mayo are missing in terms of the top three teams - 'where do they need to improve against Dublin or Kerry?' seems to be the question being asked the most. That's where complacency could sneak in. There are other teams and matches to be played before we meet either of those, and I definitely think there's capacity to be shocked if the aim becomes all about all Ireland final day rather than what comes before that. It becomes very easy to lose sight of the journey when all you're thinking about is the destination (and in the process, brushing off teams that aren't Dublin or Kerry as 'easy to beat').

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PressRun wrote: »
    A lot of thought is being put into what Mayo are missing in terms of the top three teams - 'where do they need to improve against Dublin or Kerry?' seems to be the question being asked the most. That's where complacency could sneak in. There are other teams and matches to be played before we meet either of those, and I definitely think there's capacity to be shocked if the aim becomes all about all Ireland final day rather than what comes before that. It becomes very easy to lose sight of the journey when all you're thinking about is the destination (and in the process, brushing off teams that aren't Dublin or Kerry as 'easy to beat').

Since 2011 Mayo have not lost a game to anyone other than Kerry, Donegal and Dublin.

They have a very similar draw this year to last, the core of the team will still be the same.

I'm going to give them some credit and think that they are far too mature and far to professional to allow complacency creep in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Since 2011 Mayo have not lost a game to anyone other than Kerry, Donegal and Dublin.

They have a very similar draw this year to last, the core of the team will still be the same.

I'm going to give them some credit and think that they are far too mature and far to professional to allow complacency creep in.

I don't know if you are being wildly optimistic or very naive, or both.

If complacency can affect better and more successful teams than Mayo, it most definitely can affect Mayo too. Despite all the talk of players training to a professional standard, they aren't professional soccer or rugby players. They don't spend months on end, holed up in a training camp in Carton House, talking to no one but each other, managers, professional coaches, trainers, physios, sports psychologists etc etc. They go about their day to day life, just like normal people, so all kinds of things can seep into their heads & affect how they approach games.

It's not about not giving them credit, it's just about acknowledging that shocks can and do happen. It happened to Dublin, and it could happen to Mayo. I don't think there's anything wrong with being aware of that and keeping our wits about us. There's nothing to be gained from getting ahead of ourselves.

I remember reading something about Brian Cody's philosophy and aside from the fact that he commits to bringing through young players and has a ruthless, business-like attitude towards selection, he also takes the approach of improving the team across the year as a whole, rather than just focusing on the All-Ireland final. I think that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is the GAA club + and cairdre maigheo the same thing now . I assume the free jacket etc is gone now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

No they're doing a jacket, hat and scarf I think this year. I doubt it costs them much to do it, it's probably funded by Elverys. Also no minimum attendance requirement for a final ticket, if we get to the final, you're guaranteed a ticket. That aspect is likely to appeal to supporters overseas who wouldn't make the 60% but would come back for a couple of big games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

No they're doing a jacket, hat and scarf I think this year. I doubt it costs them much to do it, it's probably funded by Elverys. Also no minimum attendance requirement for a final ticket, if we get to the final, you're guaranteed a ticket. That aspect is likely to appeal to supporters overseas who wouldn't make the 60% but would come back for a couple of big games.

have you a link for where to buy this or do you have to go to mchale park

www.seasontickets.ie to get the ticket. I presume they'll email ticket holders about the jacket etc. after Christmas, you'll need to go to McHale Park to pick that stuff up.

It's not about not giving them credit, it's just about acknowledging that shocks can and do happen. It happened to Dublin, and it could happen to Mayo. I don't think there's anything wrong with being aware of that and keeping our wits about us. There's nothing to be gained from getting ahead of ourselves.

I remember reading something about Brian Cody's philosophy and aside from the fact that he commits to bringing through young players and has a ruthless, business-like attitude towards selection, he also takes the approach of improving the team across the year as a whole, rather than just focusing on the All-Ireland final. I think that's important.

But the point I am making is that an All Ireland final should be the minimum ambition of this Mayo team for 2016.

There is a gap between the top 3 teams (Dublin, Kerry, Mayo) and the rest.
    Mayo avoid the other 2 until the final unless Kerry lose in Munster or Dublin lose before the Leinster final.
    So they should be winning Connacht, especially with home games, winning the QF v the A side qualifier and winning the SF v Ulster champ and the B side qualifier.

Baaring unforseen circumstances like major injuries etc, I as a fan gave no problem saying that anything less than a final appeance would be a bad year.
    That's what they booted out the old management for wasn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Trying to renew my mayp season ticket but it will only let me buy the €200 cairde maigh eo one!? Anybody any ideas whats up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

tacofries wrote: »
    Trying to renew my mayp season ticket but it will only let me buy the €200 cairde maigh eo one!? Anybody any ideas whats up?

Did you miss the deadline?

tacofries wrote: »

Tickets that hadn't been renewed by holders by Monday night were released to the general public on Tuesday morning. It's probably gone I'm afraid. €200 ones still available for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Interesting feature article on the new boss Stephen Rochford. Here's hoping those new lads he bloods in the FBD get their opportunity to flourish against the Rebels and Dubs. It appears like he may ultimately play it safe with vital league points at stake.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/26892-rochford-wants-mayo-to-be-ultra-competitive

But the point I am making is that an All Ireland final should be the minimum ambition of this Mayo team for 2016.

There is a gap between the top 3 teams (Dublin, Kerry, Mayo) and the rest.
    Mayo avoid the other 2 until the final unless Kerry lose in Munster or Dublin lose before the Leinster final.
    So they should be winning Connacht, especially with home games, winning the QF v the A side qualifier and winning the SF v Ulster champ and the B side qualifier.

Baaring unforseen circumstances like major injuries etc, I as a fan gave no problem saying that anything less than a final appeance would be a bad year.
    That's what they booted out the old management for wasn't it.

Of course an All-Ireland is an ambition. The point is though that it doesn't really serve anyone to be getting ahead of ourselves and thinking we have certain teams beat before we even set foot on a pitch. That kind of arrogance was the undoing of Dublin on a couple of occasions in the past, and there's nothing wrong with warning against that.

It seems Rochford is taking things on a game by game basis too, rather than this obsession with September, which is absolutely the right way to approach it, imo. We have a much higher chance of making it as far as September if we take things a step at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

yop wrote: »
    Did you miss the deadline?

Ahh ****e,. two years ago my mam bought myself and my dad the ticket for Christmas and so it was her email address that was used. She must have got the renewal email and forgot to tell me ! I'll try ringing them Monday but to date I havent found the season ticket office to be too helpful!

Of course an All-Ireland is an ambition. The point is though that it doesn't really serve anyone to be getting ahead of ourselves and thinking we have certain teams beat before we even set foot on a pitch. That kind of arrogance was the undoing of Dublin on a couple of occasions in the past, and there's nothing wrong with warning against that.

It seems Rochford is taking things on a game by game basis too, rather than this obsession with September, which is absolutely the right way to approach it, imo. We have a much higher chance of making it as far as September if we take things a step at a time.

It's not just Dublin though, even if we're everyones favourite punching bag for when it all goes wrong. :rolleyes:

Look at Meath and Cork this year. Did some Meath players have an "ah sure its only Westmeath, when have they ever beaten us?" attitude? Or did Cork players look at Kildare and think "when have they ever beaten a Division one team in the champo?"

And we all know how their seasons panned out.

If you start thinking you are unbeatable, or you have your eye on the next game, because the team you are playing now, haven't beaten you recently....well, its a toxic mind set to have. Sooner or later, it will catch you out big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Good interview with Rochford in the Indo with Colm Keys (on mobile no link).
    Delves into influences and his thinking on how the other coaches will contribute.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's not just Dublin though, even if we're everyones favourite punching bag for when it all goes wrong. :rolleyes:

Look at Meath and Cork this year. Did some Meath players have an "ah sure its only Westmeath, when have they ever beaten us?" attitude? Or did Cork players look at Kildare and think "when have they ever beaten a Division one team in the champo?"

And we all know how their seasons panned out.

If you start thinking you are unbeatable, or you have your eye on the next game, because the team you are playing now, haven't beaten you recently....well, its a toxic mind set to have. Sooner or later, it will catch you out big time.

But there is a big difference between Meath and Mayo in this day and age.
    If Meath had the same "professional" approach as the likes of Mayo they may actually compete with Dublin year in year out, given their population etc.

Cork on the other hand are schizophrenic.
    You really don't know how they are going to perform from one game to the next.

I think it's actually a bit hard on Dublin to say that they were in some way arrogant or guilty of getting ahead of themselves in 2012 and 2014.

In 2012 there was an obvious 16 year All Ireland hangover, they were sluggish all year not just v Mayo.
    2014 is harder to nail down, but I don't think arrogance was the biggest factor in their demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jack67

2014 is harder to nail down, but I don't think arrogance was the biggest factor in their demise. Arrogance was not a factor at all Dublin were beaten by a better team on the day end off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Good interview with Rochford in the Indo with Colm Keys (on mobile no link).
    Delves into influences and his thinking on how the other coaches will contribute.

Just after reading it. He sure loves his sport and has a similar mindset to Buckley. Not surprised they knew of each other long before he took the Mayo job. McEntee will play a big role too when looking after the Dublin based lads

• Advertisement

Looks like the €200 Cairde season tickets are sold out now as well. The non-renewal tickets only went on sale on Tuesday so that's some going for them all to be gone already.

If Meath had the same "professional" approach as the likes of Mayo they may actually compete with Dublin year in year out, given their population etc.

I think it's actually a bit hard on Dublin to say that they were in some way arrogant or guilty of getting ahead of themselves in 2012 and 2014.

In 2012 there was an obvious 16 year All Ireland hangover, they were sluggish all year not just v Mayo.
    2014 is harder to nail down, but I don't think arrogance was the biggest factor in their demise.

I agree to a certain extent. Meath and Cork are both in very different places to Mayo and Dublin. But the basic point still stands - if you take your opponent for granted, based on results in the past, you are in for a nasty shock sooner or later. The Donegal, Cork and Tyrone players and management have a lot more All Ireland medals, than anyone in Mayo has. I wouldn't be dismissing anything that they can do, just because they aren't in this magic "top 3" category that the media and some spectators seem to be obsessed by. At the end of the day, it means doodley squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Looks like the €200 Cairde season tickets are sold out now as well. The non-renewal tickets only went on sale on Tuesday so that's some going for them all to be gone already.

Got in just in time so. I got it confirmed via twitter that a jacket hat an scarf are included.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I agree to a certain extent. Meath and Cork are both in very different places to Mayo and Dublin. But the basic point still stands - if you take your opponent for granted, based on results in the past, you are in for a nasty shock sooner or later. The Donegal, Cork and Tyrone players and management have a lot more All Ireland medals, than anyone in Mayo has. I wouldn't be dismissing anything that they can do, just because they aren't in this magic "top 3" category that the media and some spectators seem to be obsessed by. At the end of the day, it means doodley squat.

Rochford seems to subscribe to this thinking too, having said that he plans to take things on a game by game basis rather than obsessing over an All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Meath need more than a professional setup to compete with Dublin. They don't have the panel strength or enough player quality to do that. Problem with Meath is club and underage, a senior Meath club hasn't won a Leinster title since 2002 while their county U21s haven't won Leinster since 2001. The teams that do compete with Dublin are all division one sides a division Meath haven't played in for ages.

Cork on the other hand could do with a professional setup but it seems 2016 will be another year without one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I for one would fully support some form of crowd funding initiative to support John and lads. I mean, I've seen injustices in my time but this takes the biscuit. Paris Hilton would blush at the sense of entitlement shown here.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/share/uuid/43ceae4a-9d11-11e5-bc43-d5c9a88f2773

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Rawhead wrote: »
    I for one would fully support some form of crowd funding initiative to support John and lads. I mean, I've seen injustices in my time but this takes the biscuit. Paris Hilton would blush at the sense of entitlement shown here.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/share/uuid/43ceae4a-9d11-11e5-bc43-d5c9a88f2773

Seems a rather bizarre conclusion to come to,is the full article available to peruse?

Ah, it's just the time of year where the lunatics running the asylum get to have their speak on things. He also took a swipe at Darragh O'Se for calling a spade a spade.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

seligehgit wrote: »
    Seems a rather bizarre conclusion to come to,is the full article available to peruse?

The idiot needs to get off the drugs with them conclusions

• Advertisement

Only 15,000?! How will they manage??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement