Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

Nope, standard wellgo that came on my felt. Snapped off midway through phibsborough, luckily was left with the piece sticking out from the crank so managed to complete the commute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one minor oddity in strava i've noticed is that there seems to be a chap based in stamullen who has set up two strava profiles and uploads his activities to both. you often see him listed twice in the top ten on segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

VW 1 wrote: »
    Nope, standard wellgo that came on my felt. Snapped off midway through phibsborough, luckily was left with the piece sticking out from the crank so managed to complete the commute.

Have pedal, can't get old one off, looks like its fairly solidly held in.

Any pro tips other than spraying it with wd40 to try loosen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Just make sure you're loosening it the correct way - the left pedal removes clockwise.
    I extended the 8mm Allen key using an old seat post to give more leverage when I came upon a stuck pedal.

Also, don't do what I did (twice) and have your hand strike the chainrings when removing the pedal thus leaving a significant gash and scar :o Someone recommended leaving the chain on the outer ring, which should stop the gouging but not the removal of just one layer of skin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So I walked/jogged across the road yesterday morning, didn't realise there was a lip on the other side of the bike lane (when did this start happening?). Which is where I started to jog.

FACE PLANT

Flat out, like the aerial view of a body in a 1950s murder mystery. A stranger came over to me as I hobbled off the road, tail between legs, dignity in tatters. Asked me was I OK. I turned to them, I could see they were expecting a "I'll survive" style answer. I looked them square in the eye and mumbled "No, no I'm not". Surprised but not stifled, without breaking stride, they responded "You'll get over it". Humiliation complete.

Woke up this morning with a swollen knee and a tough to move shoulder and a wrist that can't take much weight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I actually laughed out loud at that Cram, sorry :pac:

I hope the shoulder, knee and wrist heal, I've a couple of friends who've broken wrists and damaged shoulders from seemingly innocuous falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭koutoubia

bp_me wrote: »
    You can pay for priority delivery with CRC also.

priority delivery is exactly the same as normal delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Idleater wrote: »
    ...Also, don't do what I did (twice) and have your hand strike the chainrings when removing the pedal thus leaving a significant gash and scar :o Someone recommended leaving the chain on the outer ring, which should stop the gouging but not the removal of just one layer of skin.
    The simplest way to prevent chain ring injuries when removing pedals is to avoid this nonsense of placing a bike upside down.

A sharp tap with a hammer on the wrench usually does the trick for me. That said, my pedals are always greased well so don't tend to 'fuse'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A good soaking in WD40 or the like, a good fitting spanner and a piece of pipe over the spanner for leverage. A second pair of hands to hold the bike on the ground would also be good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

Can anyone recommend a good cargo net for a pannier rack please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

CramCycle wrote: »
    didn't realise there was a lip on the other side of the bike lane (when did this start happening?).

The cycle track above the carriageway but below the footpath was first used on the Braemor Road in Churchtowm, afaik. I think it was in 2013/2014 or so. A few of them around now- Frascati Road, parts of the N11, Pottery Road, Ashbourne, Navan (?), etc.

Hope you're not too badly damaged.

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    The cycle track above the carriageway but below the footpath was first used on the Braemor Road in Churchtowm, afaik. I think it was in 2013/2014 or so. A few of them around now- Frascati Road, parts of the N11, Pottery Road, Ashbourne, Navan (?), etc.

Hope you're not too badly damaged.

Cycled in today so not too bad. Not in pain just stiff, knee is sore, and right shoulder movement is restricted but I will live. The humiliation will linger. Everything is making cracking noises as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The simplest way to prevent chain ring injuries when removing pedals is to avoid this nonsense of placing a bike upside down. .

It cracks me up, when anybody turns their bike upside down to mend a puncture

Rule #49 applies.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#49

Eamonnator wrote: »

Rule #49 applies.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#49

Do you lie it down for a puncture repair then? You could leave the chainring side pedal down and balance it on that and against a ditch/wall/pleb waiting for the bus :pac:

CramCycle wrote: »
    Do you lie it down for a puncture repair then? You could leave the chainring side pedal down and balance it on that and against a ditch/wall/pleb waiting for the bus :pac:

Front wheel puncture, I balance bike on the forks. Rear wheel puncture, I usually lay it on the grass verge. If I'm in company, somebody holds the bike upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Why?

I always do this. So convenient.
    Rear wheel puncture, I usually lay it on the grass verge.

I met one chap on Mick Byrne 200, near Sally Gap, on an improvised singlespeed. He laid his bike on the grass verge on one of the controls, bent the derailleur ever so slightly and ripped it off the next time he tried to shift to the large cog.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I never put my bikes upside down to fix a puncture, I avoid inverting them at almost all costs.
    The only time a bike of mine goes upside down was the track bike before I got a chain whip, changing the gear using the rotafix method.
    Even then I didn't like it.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Alek wrote: »
    Why?

I always do this. So convenient.

I met one chap on Mick Byrne 200, near Sally Gap, on an improvised singlespeed. He laid his bike on the grass verge on one of the controls, bent the derailleur ever so slightly and ripped it off the next time he tried to shift to the large cog.

Well that was rather stupid of him to put it with the derailleur side down.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Should have went single speed/fixed from the start, rather than all this messing about.

Placing a bike upside down on the ground can damage the saddle and hoods.
    When placing my bike on the grass verge, I do so carefully, very carefully.

• Advertisement

Stupid is rather a strong word, we are all prone to mistakes, especially after 100km+ with a lot of climbing.

Again, I would not call "damage" a few superficial scratches I got on them over the years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Thud

Eamonnator wrote: »
    When placing my bike on the grass verge, I do so carefully, very carefully.

but if there's a grass verge it's unlikely to damage hoods or saddle. If there is only footpath or road, I'd agree on not turning it upside down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It used to be the thing in the days when you didn't have quick release or spare tubes. You turned the bike upside down, unmounted the tyre, repaired the tube and put it all back together again. All you needed was a pair of your mammie's best silver forks (who had tyre levers?), a pump, a puncture repair kit and a basin of water to find the leak.

Mind you, it was a bit of a bugger trying to carry a basin of water when you went out for a spin...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

cdaly_ wrote: »
    It used to be the thing in the days when you didn't have quick release or spare tubes. You turned the bike upside down, unmounted the tyre, repaired the tube and put it all back together again. All you needed was a pair of your mammie's best silver forks (who had tyre levers?), a pump, a puncture repair kit and a basin of water to find the leak.

Mind you, it was a bit of a bugger trying to carry a basin of water when you went out for a spin...

Ye posh git, In Coolock we used puddles to find the punctures ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I always knew Sky were dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I did wonder what I'd do when I got a puncture with the bakfiets, as turning it upside down isn't really an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I find it easiest to turn the tourer upside down though. I put tissues on the hoods to stop them getting too scraped up, and a plastic bag on the saddle.

The Brompton can usually be sorted out by doing the first step of the fold, so it's effectively on its "stand", and the dropouts facing upwards.

The bakfiets, again, just leave it on its stand and patch the puncture in situ. It's too hard to get the wheel off anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

By not turning the bike upside down you're missing out on the best part, spinning the rear wheel really really fast, enjoying the hum of it and seeing how close you can get your fingers to the tyre before it takes a layer of skin off.

[QUOTE=Alek;10577997 Again, I would not call "damage" a few superficial scratches I got on them over the years ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, I would,
    We'll have to agree to differ.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote:
    By not turning the bike upside down you're missing out on the best part, spinning the rear wheel really really fast, enjoying the hum of it and seeing how close you can get your fingers to the tyre before it takes a layer of skin off.

I've done better recently: wanted to find what caused the puncture this way, not even spinning the wheel fast at all... Found that shard of glass SUPER quickly.

One of those D'oh moments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement