Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Skuzchad wrote: »
    I really thought they would announce somewhere like Miami or somewhere different .

I was also slightly underwhelmed by the announcement too. LAX and Newark are already connected to Dublin via other airlines (Ethopian and United) and OK, Hartford is brand new but I feel its also in the same JFK/Newark/Boston catchment area. Was hoping for somewhere like Miami or Dallas but I guess the north east is where the biggest catchment of business/leisure traffic between Ireland and the US resides and such routes make economic sense along with LAX on the west coast. Other such "exotic" locations would only be nice to haves but not necessarily profit generators. I'm still pleased to have our national carrier connect to these additional locations so I'm not criticizing the development.

Press reports today do mention future US destinations including Far East and South America are also under consideration for EI so the future is bright!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

South America with EI? Very unlikely, even BA have a poor network to Latin America due to the push for Iberia to get the traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I wish they did this at O'Hare. If you're connecting with UA, which many do, you have to trek all the way from T5 to T1, and there's usually a huge line for security in both.

Fully agree, same in Boston when connecting with Jet Blue.
    I don't know why they can't arrange a bus to transfer connecting passengers airside to the United Terminal.
    I only use Aer Lingus for connection if through JFK, otherwise I use other airlines because it avoids the hassle of reclearing security.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Skuzchad

He prob means south america but still in north America . As in the 'South' e.g Texas or new orleans

Carnacalla wrote: »
    South America with EI? Very unlikely, even BA have a poor network to Latin America due to the push for Iberia to get the traffic

BA have just announced Lima, Peru for next year, yes it's thin in terms of routes but they are slowly relaunching them. I guess when slots are thin in the ground at Heathrow they look to go to traditional markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Skuzchad wrote: »
    He prob means south america but still in north America . As in the 'South' e.g Texas or new orleans

No, not the southern states but the continent of South America. Reading the article again below, Willie Walsh said if the demand was there, they would consider South America or the Far East.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-in-talks-with-ryanair-on-north-american-routes-1.2400280

ongarboy wrote: »
    No, not the southern states but the continent of South America. Reading the article again below, Willie Walsh said if the demand was there, they would consider South America or the Far East.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-in-talks-with-ryanair-on-north-american-routes-1.2400280

Interesting article.
    Personally I don't see much of a market for South America yet, bit with the way those markets are growing who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

I was also slightly underwhelmed by the announcement too. LAX and Newark are already connected to Dublin via other airlines (Ethopian and United) and OK, Hartford is brand new but I feel its also in the same JFK/Newark/Boston catchment area. Was hoping for somewhere like Miami or Dallas but I guess the north east is where the biggest catchment of business/leisure traffic between Ireland and the US resides and such routes make economic sense along with LAX on the west coast. Other such "exotic" locations would only be nice to haves but not necessarily profit generators. I'm still pleased to have our national carrier connect to these additional locations so I'm not criticizing the development.

Press reports today do mention future US destinations including Far East and South America are also under consideration for EI so the future is bright!:)

The East is also appealing as people can connect there, people from Kentucky or Iowa can fly to Newark and connection. Presumably EI hope to have some New Englanders fly on the new Hartford route and connect in Dub to other European destinations, Dallas already has flights to these places.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Not going to happen I'm afraid. EI will be a transatlantic carrier only.
    Current CEO claims that "he never wanted to serve DXB back in 2006" And IAG will funnel EI traffic onto BA or IB services.

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Fully agree, same in Boston when connecting with Jet Blue.
    I don't know why they can't arrange a bus to transfer connecting passengers airside to the United Terminal.
    I only use Aer Lingus for connection if through JFK, otherwise I use other airlines because it avoids the hassle of reclearing security.

I think its an US side thing. All international flights use the 'International terminal. EI would like to arrive into Domestic terminals as it would be a better selling point. Especially being able to leverage eh CBP facilities.

EG. a year or two ago, all flights in ORD were being turning back due to a closure of its airspace. A mate was operating the flight...they told ATC "no need, as we are pre-cleared we can use Rockford" which they did. All other EU flights ended up in Montreal or Toronto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭rigmaroll

Luxair are increasing their flights to Luxembourg

https ://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153169983747727

Are Ethiopian airlines carrying passengers from Dublin to LA,Washington Dulles and Toronto currently or are those just fuel stops. Is the proposed New York route picking up passengers here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rigmaroll wrote: »
    Are Ethiopian airlines carrying passengers from Dublin to LA,Washington Dulles and Toronto currently or are those just fuel stops. Is the proposed New York route picking up passengers here.

Just LA; and no announcements have been made on the JFK route.
    Tenger wrote: »
    EG. a year or two ago, all flights in ORD were being turning back due to a closure of its airspace. A mate was operating the flight...they told ATC "no need, as we are pre-cleared we can use Rockford" which they did. All other EU flights ended up in Montreal or Toronto

Rockford has FIS, apparently. There's definitely flights to Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Anyone know what aircraft they'll be using on the Hartford route?

As great and all as this expansion is, I think its too focused on the North East with Hartford being launched as well as relaunching Newark. Are they not focusing an awful lot of capacity in that region? Hartford is under two hours by car from Boston and just over two hours from New York.

Zonda999 wrote: »

As great and all as this expansion is, I think its too focused on the North East with Hartford being launched as well as relaunching Newark. Are they not focusing an awful lot of capacity in that region? Hartford is under two hours by car from Boston and just over two hours from New York.

757 will be used for Hartford.

In the North East there's a high concentration of Irish and a strong connection with Ireland. These routes have always typically done miles better than routes to say SFO and LAX. The distance is also shorter, and as a result cheaper flights, therefore becoming more attractive to inbound tourists and outbound pax.

.... Are they not focusing an awful lot of capacity in that region? Hartford is under two hours by car from Boston and just over two hours from New York.

Perhaps but it will cater for the time is money business pax very well. And not every pax wants to go through Boston or New York to get to BOS/JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

IRLConor wrote: »
    Whatever about the trek, the lack of food options in T5 is pretty bad. Or at least was the last time I went through there. The lounge isn't great either.
    T5 in O'Hare has finally been upgraded and has a few decent food options now, most are in the gate 16-34 part though which is separated from 1-9 while they work on 9-16, there is a shuttle (behind security) between them though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Tenger wrote: »
    Perhaps but it will cater for the time is money business pax very well. And not every pax wants to go through Boston or New York to get to BOS/JFK.

Yes, CT is an enormously wealthy area, we'll have to wait and see if EI can eliminate consumer surplus in the J cabin, could be a real money spinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

EI mightn't be up for an Asian route, but there must be some airline out there that it'd work for.

I haven't researched it, but I'm sure most European countries have direct flights to at least one of Bangkok, Hong Kong, KL, Beijing or Singapore.

Would a 777 make it direct from Dublin to one of the above?

Aer Lingus to Liverpool begins tomorrow.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Thud wrote: »
    T5 in O'Hare has finally been upgraded and has a few decent food options now, most are in the gate 16-34 part though which is separated from 1-9 while they work on 9-16, there is a shuttle (behind security) between them though

Good to hear. Luckily I have the direct DUB-SFO flight now but if I'm stuck connecting in ORD again it hopefully won't be as grim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

ozzy jr wrote: »
    EI mightn't be up for an Asian route, but there must be some airline out there that it'd work for.

I haven't researched it, but I'm sure most European countries have direct flights to at least one of Bangkok, Hong Kong, KL, Beijing or Singapore.

Would a 777 make it direct from Dublin to one of the above?

A big part of it is Etihad and Emirates, who can funnel pax and cargo to all those kinds of destinations.

A dedicated widebody is a lot of seats to sell: so you end up trying to compete on price with the ME carriers and not making a pot of money, and possibly flying half empty flights. You're also not going to have the demand for a relatively high frequency which mostly won't be attractive to they money making business passengers and some cargo shippers.

And that's just some off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Hartford is 5hrs from Boston by car. New York is roughly 6-7hrs if I recall correctly. My uncle lives in near Hartford area and whenever he flies home, he gets the plane to Boston from Hartford instead of Boston as its too far away to drive.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Hartford is 5hrs from Boston by car. New York is roughly 6-7hrs if I recall correctly. My uncle lives in near Hartford area and whenever he flies home, he gets the plane to Boston from Hartford instead of Boston as its too far away to drive.

It's just over two hours to Boston and it's just less than three hours to New York

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Hartford is the insurance capital of the world so could do well from this sector

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Hartford is the insurance capital of the world so could do well from this sector

Ha I read that myself,first things first and ban that clown from the liberty insurance ad from flying :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭aviator7

I can't see Asia or south America happening any time soon. Although if I was to make a bet I would say brazil would be first on their list. Growing tourism, major sporting events putting them in the spotlight, a huge Brazilian population in Ireland and western Europe, not a massively long flight time from Dublin, proper winter sun route etc.

Also on a side note, I see from the route launch video that Aerlingus have been the fastest growing transatlantic carrier in the past five years. I don't think anyone would have believed that was possible a few years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

surely there is scope for somebody to do a vegas flight? even once a week - out every saturday, back on sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kellyr4

Once a week is just not economical.............

Cost of overnighting the aircraft in LAS

Awful for aircraft utilisation performance

Crew wont accept a 1 night layover..............so have to put them up in LAs for a week

Most people dont want to go to Vegas for a week............5 days is enough at a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

kellyr4 wrote: »
    Once a week is just not economical.............

Cost of overnighting the aircraft in LAS

Awful for aircraft utilisation performance

Crew wont accept a 1 night layover..............so have to put them up in LAs for a week

Most people dont want to go to Vegas for a week............5 days is enough at a stretch

Why would crew not accept a 1 night layover?
    I mean, sure, it would eat into gambling time, but.....

(Crew have one night layovers at every other US station, LAS would be no different)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

aviator7 wrote: »
    I can't see Asia or south America happening any time soon. Although if I was to make a bet I would say brazil would be first on their list. Growing tourism, major sporting events putting them in the spotlight, a huge Brazilian population in Ireland and western Europe, not a massively long flight time from Dublin, proper winter sun route etc.

Not a massively long flight time? Rio & São Paolo are roughly 1,000km further away than San Francisco!

It would be roughly comparable to going to Korea, in terms of distance.

Advertisement