Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I think that was established a few pages back, they don't have enough frames to cover all the flights and JFK day flight had been sacrificed for Newark I'm afraid.

Oh well, back to British Airways it is...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Oh well, back to British Airways it is...

I certainly would have used the daytime service, shame it's gone and hopefully it will be back

I certainly would have used the daytime service, shame it's gone and hopefully it will be back

Yeah, I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/wow-air-announces-flights-from-dublin-to-california-704320.html

A330-300
    DUB-SFO 4x weekly
    DUB-LAX 5x weekly

Whether this happens or not, I do not know. Routes not on booking system yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

b757 wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/wow-air-announces-flights-from-dublin-to-california-704320.html

A330-300
    DUB-SFO 4x weekly
    DUB-LAX 5x weekly

They are not direct flights like the press release would have you believe. Pax will fly to KEF on the scheduled WowAir service then connect onto the LAX or SFO flight from there. Expect it to have very little impact on the EI operation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

b757 wrote: »

A330-300
    DUB-SFO 4x weekly
    DUB-LAX 5x weekly

They are not direct flights like the press release would have you believe. Pax will fly to KEF on the scheduled WowAir service then connect onto the LAX or SFO flight from there. Expect it to have very little impact on the EI operation

Same nonsense as the last time - they really shouldn't be allowed misrepresent what's on offer like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's one craft, probably a 321, from Dublin 5 days a week. Drop in the ocean compared to EIs capacity even if 100% of the seats connected to those flights

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

lxflyer wrote: »
    Same nonsense as the last time - they really shouldn't be allowed misrepresent what's on offer like this.

It's the old "direct" vs "non-stop" silliness that some airlines use to trick people into thinking they're getting a better flight than they really are.

Similar to the "new route" silliness used by Aer Lingus to announce EWR and LAX a few weeks ago...

IRLConor wrote: »
    It's the old "direct" vs "non-stop" silliness that some airlines use to trick people into thinking they're getting a better flight than they really are.

But this isn't either.

It's a complete change of aircraft at Keflavik.

• Advertisement

Similar to the "new route" silliness used by Aer Lingus to announce EWR and LAX a few weeks ago...

They are nothing like one another.

Aer Lingus are offering two new routes out of Dublin.

Wow are offering two new routes from Keflavik to California, which passengers from Dublin can connect into at Keflavik.

It's akin to BA suggesting that you can fly direct from Dublin to somewhere every time they launch a new route from LHR. Which they don't do!

At best it's misleading, and at worst it's false advertising.

The carrier that operates a particular flight is for the most part irrelevant to the passenger.

Neither DUB-LAX or DUB-EWR are new routes. In both cases Aer Lingus is offering a new service on an existing route.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

But this isn't either.

It's a complete change of aircraft at Keflavik.

Some airlines consider "direct" to be "no change of flight number" from leg to leg. The fact that this is blatant deception is beside the point.

The word "direct" when applied to flights is essentially meaningless because the various advertising standards authorities don't appear to regulate its use.

The carrier that operates a particular flight is for the most part irrelevant to the passenger.

Neither DUB-LAX or DUB-EWR are new routes. In both cases Aer Lingus is offering a new service on an existing route.

They are new routes for the airline concerned. That's not misleading in any way. They didn't suggest that they were brand new routes for the airport.

Are you suggesting that a business (in this case EI) shouldn't announce a new service that they offer? Or that Ryanair shouldn't have announced their new route to AMS?

And I'd strongly disagree with your view. I'd actually say that most people are concerned about which airline flies on a route.

Plenty of people would prefer to use an EU airline over a US airline for example.

Are you suggesting that a business (in this case EI) shouldn't announce a new service that they offer? Or that Ryanair shouldn't have announced their new route to AMS?

Not at all. But it's dishonest to describe it as a "new route". I would have no problem with "new service".

Semantics, maybe, but when the same text gets copied verbatim by Dublin Airport on their site it does imply that this is a new destination that couldn't be reached from Dublin previously.

Anyway, I'm going to bow out of discussing this before I annoy a mod ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

Charter flight changes next summer:
    • Menorca charter (from 22/5/16) will be operated by ASL Airlines Ireland, replacing BA CityFlyer.
    • Bodrum charter (from 1/5/16) will be operated by Corendon Airlines, replacing Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What about the Sharm El Sheikh and Tunisia charters?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Carnacalla wrote: »

Tunisia had the ISIS attacks, now Sharm has the plane crash, I don't think we'll be seeing them back in my opinion, we'll wait and see

Lockheed wrote: »
    Tunisia had the ISIS attacks, now Sharm has the plane crash, I don't think we'll be seeing them back in my opinion, we'll wait and see

I agree, especially considering there's a travel ban on these places from Ireland atm. Wondering what they will be replaced with though, the more typical European hotspots or maybe somewhere new? Eg. Cape Verde would be nice.

There's a Tunisia charter?

• Advertisement

VG31 wrote: »
    There's a Tunisia charter?

Sunway had one.

They didn't last summer.

VG31 wrote: »
    They didn't last summer.

They did this year as I remember it was cancelled. It was operated by Aer Lingus afaik.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/sunway-opens-helpline-for-those-due-to-fly-to-tunisia-1.2265797

(Also sorry for my horrific Subway mistake, they don't usually do charter flights)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There was 2 weekly to charters to Tunisia and as stated above one by Aer Lingus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I agree, especially considering there's a travel ban on these places from Ireland atm. Wondering what they will be replaced with though, the more typical European hotspots or maybe somewhere new? Eg. Cape Verde would be nice.

Cape Verde would be a nice addition for someone like Thomson ! But probably too late to plan it for this summer ! Guess we will wait and see what they do in place of Sharm

Not at all. But it's dishonest to describe it as a "new route". I would have no problem with "new service".

Semantics, maybe, but when the same text gets copied verbatim by Dublin Airport on their site it does imply that this is a new destination that couldn't be reached from Dublin previously.

Anyway, I'm going to bow out of discussing this before I annoy a mod ;)

I'd agree with you with respect to the airport making such an announcement, but I think that the airline is perfectly entitled to do it.

The issue I have is an airline claiming that it is launching a service between two locations, and getting widespread publicity for it, when in fact they aren't launching such a service at all, but rather offering connections at a hub, in the same way that all of the major European airlines do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

The issue I have is an airline claiming that it is launching a service between two locations, and getting widespread publicity for it, when in fact they aren't launching such a service at all, but rather offering connections at a hub, in the same way that all of the major European airlines do.

From what I have read on WOW's press release they don't even mention Dublin. From my knowledge it appears that the Irish media has misguaged route announcements, again.

man98 wrote: »
    From what I have read on WOW's press release they don't even mention Dublin. From my knowledge it appears that the Irish media has misguaged route announcements, again.

So explain to me how so many Irish media outlets are claiming that the service will be from Dublin to California? They're hardly making that connection themselves.

I can't find the actual press release to Irish media anywhere online, but I really doubt that news outlets are creating this themselves.

If you recall when the Dublin-Keflavik route was launched, the WOW CEO was on Morning Ireland claiming that they were launching Dublin-Boston and Dublin-Washington flights, so they do have past form in doing this.

It just annoys me, as if there is to be fair coverage, then every time new connections are launched by other airlines, such as BA, Lufthansa, Turkish via their hubs, they should be getting similar coverage.

U.S airlines are currently announcing summer '16 new routes and changes so it'll be interesting to see if any changes come through for Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Was just on the Sun Express website and looking at their Summer schedule and there is nothing about flights from Dublin to Antalya. Their booking page doesn't even give an option of flying from Dublin 😡

Advertisement