Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

lxflyer wrote: »
    WestJet are flying to Canada from Gatwick from next year, not Vegas.

Not sure where you're getting that impression.

My apologies. I read it on the TripAdvisor forums bur looking back now it is indeed a connection through Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

With the new aircraft arriving next year is there any further possibility of sending any additional transatlantic aircraft on European routes similar to the Malaga route?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pclive wrote: »
    With the new aircraft arriving next year is there any further possibility of sending any additional transatlantic aircraft on European routes similar to the Malaga route?

Unlikely imo, it seems all incoming aircraft will be fully utilised

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Apparently Ryanair are to announce flights tomorrow from Vigo to Dublin 2 x weekly from April 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

john boye wrote: »
    Funnily enough BA yesterday announced they're stopping the Gatwick - Vegas route from next April

Are they not increasing their LHR to 2x daily though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

billie1b wrote: »
    Are they not increasing their LHR to 2x daily though

Not every day only some days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

January wrote: »
    Not every day only some days.

Cool thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Khuitlio wrote: »
    Apparently Ryanair are to announce flights tomorrow from Vigo to Dublin 2 x weekly from April 2016

now announced.

"Ryanair also announced a new route to Vigo (its 25th Spanish airport), which will operate twice weekly from April, as part of a significantly expanded 2016 schedule."

Can't post links

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wonder if EI had chosen to fly to SJC over SFO would their demand on the route be higher. I fly the SFO route regularly and it, anecdotally anyway, seems to be always people travelling on business which would suggest South Bay bound passengers

Plus SJC is a joy to use compared to SFO.

BA announced a direct flight to SJC from next year from LHR which will be a popular route despite BA already having twice daily flights to SFO (one of which is an A380)

I cannot see San Jose having more traffic than San Fran, in any world. San Francisco has a lot more business bearings than San Jose, and also offers connecting passengers. There are several more places in the US that services will be started to before San Jose even comes into the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I cannot see San Jose having more traffic than San Fran, in any world. San Francisco has a lot more business bearings than San Jose, and also offers connecting passengers. There are several more places in the US that services will be started to before San Jose even comes into the picture.

Would have thought the same about Bradley!

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Would have thought the same about Bradley!

Ah but they got the height of persuasion, and there's alot of Irish ancestory there. Can't see many of the Spanish speaking market making a trip to Ireland, BA is only starting a service!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

There are a huge number of connections with UA out of SFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

faceman wrote: »
    I wonder if EI had chosen to fly to SJC over SFO would their demand on the route be higher. I fly the SFO route regularly and it, anecdotally anyway, seems to be always people travelling on business which would suggest South Bay bound passengers

Plus SJC is a joy to use compared to SFO.

BA announced a direct flight to SJC from next year from LHR which will be a popular route despite BA already having twice daily flights to SFO (one of which is an A380)

Use it a bit too, and it's pretty much always been a full flight.

Mixture of tourists and business heads from what I could make out.

I think SJC wouldnt have the same draw that SFO would in people's minds to be honest.

Never had any issues getting through SFO, but I do prefer T2 over the International Terminal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

brettmirl wrote: »
    Mixture of tourists and business heads from what I could make out.

I think SJC wouldnt have the same draw that SFO would in people's minds to be honest.......

SJC would definitely suit the tech industry crowd, however by using SFO EI are covering the tourist O&D market as well as the onwards connections via UA.

Thus SJC serves a single market (admittedly high yield) while SFO serves 3 markets (and cargo perhaps?) And the high yield pax will be happy to travel DUB-SFO rather than DUB-LHR-SJC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭VG31

Aegean Airlines have announced 2x weekly seasonal services, beginning 20 June 2016.

https://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/15-10-29/Aegean_Announce_Services_From_Dublin_To_Athens.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

VG31 wrote: »
    Aegean Airlines are back with 2x weekly seasonal services, beginning 20 June 2016.

https://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/15-10-29/Aegean_Announce_Services_From_Dublin_To_Athens.aspx

Sorry to nitpick but this a completely new flight, was rumoured for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

People have suggest that EI need to operate to Asia, this report is about Delta and its route into Dubai, imho this would also impact any EI asian route unless they had good interline agreements in place.
    by Karen Walker
    Oct 28, 2015
    Delta Air Lines is back in the news again today, and this time it looks rather like route shenanigans.

The carrier has announced it will end its Atlanta-Dubai service in February. Not your average route announcement, the Atlanta airline says in its statement that the decision was made “amid overcapacity on US routes to the Middle East operated by government-owned and heavily subsidized airlines, and less than a month after Delta reduced service between the world’s busiest airport and the Middle East’s largest hub.”

In other words, Delta is blaming its pullout on the Gulf carriers on which it has waged war for many months over alleged subsidies and Open Skies compliance.

But hang on a moment… how many flights do Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways operate to Atlanta? The shocking answer is: zero. So Delta has exclusivity on Atlanta-Dubai, yet apparently can’t make a go of the route. How so?

At least part of the answer lies with these airline route maps: Delta route map and Emirates route map. Delta’s 777 will take you from Atlanta to Dubai, but from there (unless you transfer to Emirates), it’s a dead end. And, as Delta references in its statement today, the majority of people who fly from outside the Gulf states on one of three Gulf carriers are not going to Abu Dhabi, Doha or Dubai. They are transiting, and in ever larger numbers, their real destination is the sub-Indian continent: Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and so on, all places where, as the Emirates route map shows, the Dubai carrier offers multiple city destinations.

As is the golden rule with any airline, it’s all about the network. What Delta does not have is a sub-Indian continent network (nor do any of the US majors).

The Gulf carriers (and perhaps, more precisely, their state owners) saw an opportunity that their geographical location provided to create international hub-and-spoke operations that include the fast-growing sub-Indian continent market.

Atlanta Hartsfield is one of the largest and most successful US and global hub-and-spoke airports, but it doesn’t currently have any reach into the sub-Indian continent beyond Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭VG31

EICVD wrote: »
    Sorry to nitpick but this a completely new flight, was rumoured for a few years.

Thanks, I've fixed my post. It was Adria Airways I was thinking of.

Aer Lingus had a route to Dubai a few years ago. That's the reason it was pulled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

smurfjed wrote: »
    People have suggest that EI need to operate to Asia, this report is about Delta and its route into Dubai, imho this would also impact any EI asian route unless they had good interline agreements in place.

First off comparing DL to EI is a very big mistake.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Aer Lingus had a route to Dubai a few years ago. That's the reason it was pulled.
    EI route was pulled due no interline agreement in place for onward travel, bad timings which prevented short transit in Summer schedule, and low quality product in a premium market.

Tenger wrote: »
    EI route was pulled due no interline agreement in place for onward travel, bad timings which prevented short transit in Summer schedule, and low quality product in a premium market.

Which is mostly why delta pulled it too, my point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Skuzchad

Be great if there was a Dub-Houston direct flight . But I know its prob never gonna happen :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Skuzchad wrote: »
    Be great if there was a Dub-Houston direct flight . But I know its prob never gonna happen :( .

If oil/gas prices rise, it could be a possibility

Lockheed wrote: »
    If oil/gas prices rise, it could be a possibility

I'm not sure I follow your logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,171 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not sure I follow your logic.

Houston is the oil capital of the US. Routes to it drop off hugely when oil prices fall, both international and domestic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Meanwhile, I just had a look at the booking system for EI to New York in the summer months. Looks like the daytime return flight is not in the schedule this year :(

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Meanwhile, I just had a look at the booking system for EI to New York in the summer months. Looks like the daytime return flight is not in the schedule this year :(

I think that was established a few pages back, they don't have enough frames to cover all the flights and JFK day flight had been sacrificed for Newark I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,171 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think that was established a few pages back, they don't have enough frames to cover all the flights and JFK day flight had been sacrificed for Newark I'm afraid.

EWR doesn't start til September IIRC

The day flight was dependent on having something to cover at SNN for BOS - the 767 was not well received. Possibly it didn't cover the additional costs either, that'd be something only EI would know.

Advertisement