Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Joe Schmidt concealing his hand?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

LorMal wrote: »
    I think tickets for the final are up to £750 face value

So you think Ireland are going to make it to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think tickets for the final are up to £750 face value

That's shocking, it really is. I think I paid £125 for Italy, and really grudge it - but it is part of my holidays, and I want to see the Olympic Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I apologise. You are very lucky to have the opportunity and I hope you have a great time.

Thank you.
    It will be Ireland v New Zealand obviously.
    Never doubted it for a second.

Well look at that! You're more optimistic than I am!
    (I think Oz v NZ myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

shuffol wrote: »
    So you think Ireland are going to make it to the final.

Hope so. Not on recent displays but I would have a lot of faith in Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

aimee1 wrote: »
    Quinlan is the man who wrote an article last year criticising Joe Schmidt for selection of Jordi over TOD.

Franno is just a crank. The written media version of Hook/Dunphy who comes up with the odd good piece but is generally just looking for some attention.

Sometimes they just say/write things to get themselves noticed, a bit like Warren of Wales

I would agree with Franno about our passing though. It wasn't great, but got better in the second half. In the first half, I thought Murray was quite slow and as a result a lot of our passes were taken static which is what Franno was saying. However Reddan's speed helped a lot in the second half and we strung a lot of very good phases together and made gainline success over multiple phases. Inevitably something would go wrong; whether that was a knock-on, a turnover or a poor kick but the over-riding impression was of an improvement there.

Frannno is also looking for more offloads but we haven't really played that game as it's high risk. Was it SOB who offloaded to Dan Cole?

Quinlan focused on the breakdown and tackle areas where we were poor enough. Again a lot of this was from the first half and things improved in the second half although our missed tackle count remained poor.

But nothing in those two articles told us anything we didn't know already. We clearly need improvement in the areas mentioned, but I'm not sure why people would believe that's unlikely. Considering we improved in other areas from the previous match and indeed even from the first half to the second half it's not an impossible task given the match schedule we are facing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

rrpc wrote: »
    I would agree with Franno about our passing though. It wasn't great, but got better in the second half. In the first half, I thought Murray was quite slow and as a result a lot of our passes were taken static which is what Franno was saying. However Reddan's speed helped a lot in the second half and we strung a lot of very good phases together and made gainline success over multiple phases. Inevitably something would go wrong; whether that was a knock-on, a turnover or a poor kick but the over-riding impression was of an improvement there.

Frannno is also looking for more offloads but we haven't really played that game as it's high risk. Was it SOB who offloaded to Dan Cole?

Quinlan focused on the breakdown and tackle areas where we were poor enough. Again a lot of this was from the first half and things improved in the second half although our missed tackle count remained poor.

But nothing in those two articles told us anything we didn't know already. We clearly need improvement in the areas mentioned, but I'm not sure why people would believe that's unlikely. Considering we improved in other areas from the previous match and indeed even from the first half to the second half it's not an impossible task given the match schedule we are facing.

I do think we went through the warm ups with more emphasis on getting game time then anything else. I would expect the canada game will see a totally different level of intensity which will be ramped up week on week. The articles in question were pretty much stating the obvious and your last line i think is the most important, our fixture list helps us.

If you look at our warm up games there was good bits, good performances from most players at some stage, and some signs of new ideas. Our try came from england assuming we would be predictable, so that in itself is a good sign. I think we will show a lot more come oct 4/11.

• Site Banned Posts: 65 ✭✭Trabejo

Look ireland are going to be disastrous in the WC just like they every time. Dont expect anything

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm beginning to think it best to avoid this place entirely until the WC is over.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think it best to avoid this place entirely until the WC is over.

I just worry sometimes molloy i really do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Still deeply worried about lack of variation in the backline. Our only ploy seems to be to kick long and high to the wingers on the touchline and hope to win the aerial duel. Trouble with that is, it's obvious and fairly easy to counteract. Especially if you know it's coming.

England coped pretty well. And to add insult to injury, they scored a try from the exact same ploy. I don't rate Zebo as a full back at all. His positional sense is all wrong. I thought he was badly at fault for Scotland's try in the match at Lansdowne Road.

I'd still have him in as a winger, though.

Having said which, I really can't see us pulling any surprises in the back line, and you HAVE to have at least the threat of creating something there. I have seen little.... actually no, I have seen NO evidence of any creativity coming from our back line all season. I think we will beat Canada, Romania pretty easily and will overcome Italy but France? Big doubts about that one.

Dropping rationality for a moment, I have a sneaking suspicion that if we meet the All Blacks we will beat them. Law of Averages. One win out of 30 in 110 years is a fairer reflection of the historic gap between the sides than no wins out of 29. We will need a few lucky breaks but you can expect to get them from time to time.

In the semi, we'll be crushed. Because we will likely be up against a team that does one-dimensional rugby better than us, ie England, South Africa or possibly Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

I'm as optimistic as they come. I'm going to the Romania game and have rolled the dice a bought a ticket for the Sunday Quarter Final in Cardiff.

I can kind of see where the negative comments come from in some quarters. Although the zeal at which these comments are delivered make me wonder do these people actually want to see us fail? We have been let down before and that hurt is hard to shake from our psyche.

I know 2007 has no relevance to this squad (only 2 players remain), but I remember the Italian game in the warm up clear as day and ROG's last gasp try to win it. I also remember the rumblings at the time and the counter argument saying that everything is fine and that it's only a warm up and things will click as soon as the tournament starts.

Even in the last World cup after beating Australia we were on the crest of a wave and then capitulated to Wales in the Q/F. It just always seems that when we are expected to deliver we never do.

Every fibre of my being hopes that this time is different, but I can't help getting this feeling in the pit of my stomach. The saving grace for me at the moment is that France are no great shakes either.

Either way despite my reservations I'll be 100% behind the team and am looking forward to joe working his magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Still deeply worried about lack of variation in the backline. Our only ploy seems to be to kick long and high to the wingers on the touchline and hope to win the aerial duel. Trouble with that is, it's obvious and fairly easy to counteract. Especially if you know it's coming.

England coped pretty well. And to add insult to injury, they scored a try from the exact same ploy. I don't rate Zebo as a full back at all. His positional sense is all wrong. I thought he was badly at fault for Scotland's try in the match at Lansdowne Road.

I'd still have him in as a winger, though.

Having said which, I really can't see us pulling any surprises in the back line, and you HAVE to have at least the threat of creating something there. I have seen little.... actually no, I have seen NO evidence of any creativity coming from our back line all season. I think we will beat Canada, Romania pretty easily and will overcome Italy but France? Big doubts about that one.

Dropping rationality for a moment, I have a sneaking suspicion that if we meet the All Blacks we will beat them. Law of Averages. One win out of 30 in 110 years is a fairer reflection of the historic gap between the sides than no wins out of 29. We will need a few lucky breaks but you can expect to get them from time to time.

In the semi, we'll be crushed. Because we will likely be up against a team that does one-dimensional rugby better than us, ie England, South Africa or possibly Australia.

So we'll be crushed by a side we've beaten in the last 12 months when it mattered?

Jesus this is just painful reading. The number of people losing their heads over warm up games when Joe himself said that the results didn't really matter is just crazy. You might not enjoy watching the rugby we're playing but it is winning rugby and we've been delivering it with accuracy when it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland were awful in the 2011 warmups also. Let's keep the toys in the pram until the Italy match.

vienne86 wrote: »
    That's shocking, it really is. I think I paid £125 for Italy, and really grudge it - but it is part of my holidays, and I want to see the Olympic Stadium.

You'll have a great time I'm sure. I am still hoping that Kuang will invite me to sit on his lap for the final. its only a Cat C ticket but needs must.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Ireland were awful in the 2011 warmups also. Let's keep the toys in the pram until the Italy match.

I agree with the logic & sentiment. i.e Ire improved to beat Aus '11 when it mattered. & hopefully Ireland will improve again & beat France 2015.
    The comparison gives me the shivers tho. Ire were a very 1 dimensional team in '11 that ran out of ideas in the QF v Wales. Thankfully Jo is here this time to steady the nerves (P.O.O. Ire ran out of ideas v Wal in this years 6N)
    This Irish team is not 1 dimensional. BUT...there is allot of improvement required in.....27 days v ITA. And more again 7 days after that.
    What is clear from the previous 2 years (Incl the warm up games), this Irish team
    1) does not thrive in broken field play.
    2) struggles to break down teams who are well organised off set-piece.
    3) lost all games when not ahead after 50min (Aus, Eng, Wal, Wal, Eng)

Ireland need to get match sharpness. And quickly. Must come out of the blocks flying against Italy, France and behond!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

1) does not thrive in broken field play.

I'd say the coaching staff were utterly fuming about how poorly executed our play was when we turned over England in our own 22 and had 3 backs running at England.

Real lack of composure and brains there. Poor timing, support lines and execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Pain.Full 2 watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

You'll have a great time I'm sure. I am still hoping that Kuang will invite me to sit on his lap for the final. its only a Cat C ticket but needs must.

I assume you'd take me to dinner 1st?
    Meet my parents after?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Schmidt has been concealing his hand for decades.

Plot twist:

Bosco1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Amped

You say that as if 2011 was a success. Caught the Wallabies napping and exited in the quarters, where our poor warm up form reared it's head again against Wales. We're going in to this RWC alongside England as the northern hemisphere's best prospects. Anything less than a semi final is abject failure. We will need to be much much better than 2011 to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Amped wrote: »
    You say that as if 2011 was a success. Caught the Wallabies napping and exited in the quarters, where our poor warm up form reared it's head again against Wales. We're going in to this RWC alongside England as the northern hemisphere's best prospects. Anything less than a semi final is abject failure. We will need to be much much better than 2011 to get there.

losing to france or NZ is not failure. It would be disappointing but far from failure against two sides who contested the final last time around. Luckily for NZ they called up that Joubert lad when Carter got injured. He got them over the line in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Amped wrote: »

Lets be clear, our warm up form had nothing to do with the Wales game. It might have had something to do with the opening, insipid showing against the Eagles but zero to do with the QF.

In our second game we deservedly beat Australia. Then our squad players hosed Russia, scoring 9 tries. Lastly, we walloped Italy by 30 points.

We're met another similar standard nation who got their tactics right on the day and completely out manoeuvered us, deservedly beating us. We got our selections and tactics wrong. What happened six weeks before that had no influence on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Buer wrote: »
    Lets be clear, our warm up form had nothing to do with the Wales game. It might have had something to do with the opening, insipid showing against the Eagles but zero to do with the QF.

In our second game we deservedly beat Australia. Then our squad players hosed Russia, scoring 9 tries. Lastly, we walloped Italy by 30 points.

We're met another similar standard nation who got their tactics right on the day and completely out manoeuvered us, deservedly beating us. We got our selections and tactics wrong. What happened six weeks before that had no influence on that day.

Added to that, our coaching team who'd had a second chance that year to see what was then our best half-back pairing in action against Australia, inexplicably retired Eoin Reddan for the game against Wales.

Not saying he'd have made a difference but we were so slow that the Welsh could have got the Moulin Rouge chorus line into the defensive line before we got near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

From my perspective ........

Ireland have an excellent team, with some very good players with decent backup in a lot of positions if injury strikes. They have a good pattern of play and on the front foot will cause teams problems if they execute that pattern accurately.

They could well get to the semi and maybe even the final.

What would worry me though is that they have been looking second best in the physicality stakes. If this persists up to & through the French game then they will be in trouble.

..... And back to the theme of the thread ..... I'm not convinced we're going to see much difference to their approach. They'd be fools to change what they are comfortable with and what has brought success. And to be honest I'm not sure they have the players to do so.

And we were awful in QF to Wales. Or maybe that was Kidney's disastrous decision to drop Sexton. Never forgive, never forget

kuang1 wrote: »
    I assume you'd take me to dinner 1st?
    Meet my parents after?

For that kind of attention, it has to be Cat A tickets only

aimee1 wrote: »
    losing to france or NZ is not failure. It would be disappointing but far from failure against two sides who contested the final last time around. Luckily for NZ they called up that Joubert lad when Carter got injured. He got them over the line in the final

While I understand what you mean, losing to France and then NZ would mean a QF exit again (assuming we beat Italy). I think that would be regarded as a failure by most (maybe more so before the recent warm up games).
    The yard stick must be a SF place.

Mind you, I just had a look back at the 2011 team that were beaten by Wales:
    15 Rob Kearney, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Brian O'Driscoll (captain), 12 Gordon D'Arcy, 11 Keith Earls, 10 Ronan O'Gara, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Jamie Heaslip, 7 Sean O'Brien, 6 Stephen Ferris, 5 Paul O'Connell, 4 Donncha O'Callaghan, 3 Mike Ross, 2 Rory Best/Sean Cronin, 1 Cian Healy

I think it's a better team than our current best 15. I suppose the x factor that will hopefully make the difference is Joe Schmidt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think it's a better team than our current best 15.

Apart from the two players who touch the ball the most...

Murray/O'Gara of 2011 vintage was orders of magnitude worse than Murray/Sexton of 2015. Hell, it was a lot worse than Reddan/Sexton of 2011 but that's a whole other argument :P

I agree. But I raise you Ferris, BOD, Darcy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I agree. But I raise you Ferris, BOD, Darcy

BOD was quite badly injured during that tournament and I honestly think Henshaw could turn out to be as good as 2011 D'Arcy during this tournament.

Ferris was outstanding :(

Advertisement