Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Joe Schmidt concealing his hand?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

matthew8 wrote: »
    It's amazing how France can barely put in a decent performance for 4 years and get talked up on here but a couple of preseason losses and suddenly we're doomed.

They didn't put in a decent performance at the last world cup and still made it all the way to the final!

They're a strange beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

They didn't put in a decent performance at the last world cup and still made it all the way to the final!

They're a strange beast.

that V in the final was well worked. About the only decent move they put together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

LorMal wrote: »
    That's because we didn't have the ball

:D

For the whole match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

rrpc wrote: »
    :D

For the whole match?

We were talking about the first half.

molloyjh wrote: »
    How marvellously perceptive of you. The reality is I actually can't sleep at night from the sheer terror that Ireland have forgotten how to play rugby.

The horror!

Ah now, don't be so reactive :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

That's because we didn't have the ball

Well my friend...give a man enough rope etc...

This one single statement has completely revealed how little you understand the game.

I would certainly give you significant credit if you a) admit to this, and more importantly b) realise that this means you're strong views on Ireland's gameplan are no more than grating, misguided noise.
    Be the bigger person. (And sshhhhh...)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I had a think about this, and as not the best/technical fan in the world, here are my thoughts on the warm ups.

1. Joe et al got to see all the guys on a matchday and how they worked.
    2. Dave Kearney was a revelation
    3. Tommy Bowe is not great at the moment.
    4. We got better as we went through matches
    4. We seem to have an emerging partnership in Payne and Henshaw.

That's as much as I'll say given my lack of knowledge, but I thought there was lots there to build on.

The guys have four whole weeks to build on that.

Having seen France and Italy in the warm ups, I genuinely see us getting to a semi without any massive opposition, but with the team ramping up through the group games, much as England have done through the warm ups.

Stheno wrote: »
    I had a think about this, and as not the best/technical fan in the world, here are my thoughts on the warm ups.

1. Joe et al got to see all the guys on a matchday and how they worked.
    2. Dave Kearney was a revelation
    3. Tommy Bowe is not great at the moment.
    4. We got better as we went through matches
    4. We seem to have an emerging partnership in Payne and Henshaw.

That's as much as I'll say given my lack of knowledge, but I thought there was lots there to build on.

The guys have four whole weeks to build on that.

Having seen France and Italy in the warm ups, I genuinely see us getting to a semi without any massive opposition, but with the team ramping up through the group games, much as England have done through the warm ups.

That's about right yeah, as long as performances continue to improve as you would expect in the next two games before a physical encounter with Italy. Shaggy was right when he said we didn't see many backs moves. Why try those and show some of your hand before you need to. Every team like Ireland will heavily rely on video analysis it would be crazy to give them material so they can plan how to counter those moves.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Well my friend...give a man enough rope etc...

This one single statement has completely revealed how little you understand the game.

I would certainly give you significant credit if you a) admit to this, and more importantly b) realise that this means you're strong views on Ireland's gameplan are no more than grating, misguided noise.
    Be the bigger person. (And sshhhhh...)

Alan Quinlan and Neil Francis in the Indo are saying the very same things I am. But sure they know nothing about rugby as well.
    What is so threatening to you about my opinion that Ireland need to be more creative?

Alan Quinlan and Neil Francis in the Indo are saying the very same things I am. But sure they know nothing about rugby as well.
    What is so threatening to you about my opinion that Ireland need to be more creative?

So not the bigger person then...fair enough.

Btw are you travelling to the WC? (Serious qn)

• Advertisement

So not the bigger person then...fair enough.

Btw are you travelling to the WC? (Serious qn)

Nah - only a twit would pay £350 for a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Good thing none of the tickets were near that price and start at £50.

Buer wrote: »

Which match do you get for £50?

Which match do you get for £50?

All of Ireland's group games had tickets available for £50.

I think tickets for the final are up to £750 face value

All of Ireland's group games had tickets available for £50.

You paid £315 for your final ticket.

You paid £315 for your final ticket.

I certainly did.

Luckily for me I didn't cross the 'twit' threshold of £350! (Phew)

I think tickets for the final are up to £750 face value

I would have thought the conversation was in reference to Irish games given that's the team being discussed?

But if we're talking about other games then there are multiple games have tickets as cheap as £15 as opposed to the single most expensive ticket for the world cup final.

So plenty of games for people to go to where cost isn't an issue and lots of tickets still available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Quinlan is the man who wrote an article last year criticising Joe Schmidt for selection of Jordi over TOD.

Franno is just a crank. The written media version of Hook/Dunphy who comes up with the odd good piece but is generally just looking for some attention.

Sometimes they just say/write things to get themselves noticed, a bit like Warren of Wales

I would have thought the conversation was in reference to Irish games given that's the team being discussed?

Nothing in this conversation is at seems!

As soon as you think you've figured out a point that's trying to be made...BOOM! The person making that point will say "OI! NOOOOO!" in their finest cockney.

• Advertisement

But if we're talking about other games then there are multiple games have tickets as cheap as £15 as opposed to the single most expensive ticket for the world cup final.

So plenty of games for people to go to where cost isn't an issue and lots of tickets still available.

Brilliant. If you have the money to travel and for tickets, it's well for you.
    For those of us who cannot afford to travel, please excuse me if I find the 'are you even going to the World Cup' question a bit smug and superior. As if I have a lesser right to an opinion if I cannot afford to go to the matches.

If you can afford to spend £315 on a ticket to the final (which is ludicrous btw) that does not entitle you to extra rugby wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Stheno wrote: »
    There was a period in the second half yesterday that I seem to remember Henshaw and Payne working well together

They did. In the first 20 of the 2nd half they played the best bit of rugby I've seen them do since the combo started. Then we were forced to change it up due to injuries, but for me Payne and henshaw were dragging us back into the game.

I certainly did.

Luckily for me I didn't cross the 'twit' threshold of £350! (Phew)

Yeah, £315 is a steal. Enjoy.

For those of us who cannot afford to travel, please excuse me if I find the 'are you even going to the World Cup' question a bit smug and superior. As if I have a lesser right to an opinion if I cannot afford to go to the matches.

If you can afford to spend £315 on a ticket to the final (which is ludicrous btw) that does not entitle you to extra rugby wisdom.

But that's one of the most expensive tickets to the tournament. It's more ludicrous to try and use that as a benchmark for the tournament. What about the majority of tickets which are available at a fraction of the price?

I'm flying into Birmingham for €20 return and getting a return express train into London for another £30. My ticket to the Italy match is £50. So travel and match ticket for around €125. With some forward planning, most people could afford that.

I have no problem with your opinions and views on this thread, but if you resort to name calling like that you'll be taking a break from the thread.

.ak wrote: »
    They did. In the first 20 of the 2nd half they played the best bit of rugby I've seen them do since the combo started. Then we were forced to change it up due to injuries, but for me Payne and henshaw were dragging us back into the game.

Someone mentioned it on here before but Henshaw does need to work on his hands a bit more. I remember his passing wasn't too hot when he came on the scene and it has improved since then but he blew a decent opportunity in the second half with a really poor pass off his right.

I think Payne had a really strong game again. He's one of our most dependable players at this point. He doesn't make the outside breaks of a young BOD (nobody really does in today's game) but he is very tidy and efficient in defence, organising and handling.

Er...I think you're talking to me not Buer?
    Anyways its a shame you've just gone and misinterpreted my question about travelling to the WC as I was gonna suggest a get together for a drink or 2 and enjoy a real life, real time, banter filled chat about all things rugby. I enjoy a decent, thought provoking conversation and you often don't get that if people around you have the same opinion as yourself.

But look what you just did...oh dear.
    As for ludricrous to pay £315 for a match ticket? Sure I can see how a lot (probably most) people would think that.
    But this is my thing. I'm not loaded by any means, just love rugby. I'm certainly not on any mission to convert the world to think of rugby as I do, but would be preferable that people respect (not deride) this.

Someone mentioned it on here before but Henshaw does need to work on his hands a bit more. I remember his passing wasn't too hot when he came on the scene and it has improved since then but he blew a decent opportunity in the second half with a really poor pass off his right.

I think Payne had a really strong game again. He's one of our most dependable players at this point. He doesn't make the outside breaks of a young BOD (nobody really does in today's game) but he is very tidy and efficient in defence, organising and handling.

Yeah that fluffed pass does stick in the mind. Wasn't so much a bad pass but his decision making was at fault. The pass to Zebo was the correct call but he left it too late and had to basketball it over the defender.

.ak wrote: »

I have no problem with your opinions and views on this thread, but if you resort to name calling like that you'll be taking a break from the thread.

Fair enough. Apologies to all

• Advertisement

Er...I think you're talking to me not Buer?
    Anyways its a shame you've just gone and misinterpreted my question about travelling to the WC as I was gonna suggest a get together for a drink or 2 and enjoy a real life, real time, banter filled chat about all things rugby. I enjoy a decent, thought provoking conversation and you often don't get that if people around you have the same opinion as yourself.

But look what you just did...oh dear.
    As for ludricrous to pay £315 for a match ticket? Sure I can see how a lot (probably most) people would think that.
    But this is my thing. I'm not loaded by any means, just love rugby. I'm certainly not on any mission to convert the world to think of rugby as I do, but would be preferable that people respect (not deride) this.

I apologise. You are very lucky to have the opportunity and I hope you have a great time. It will be Ireland v New Zealand obviously.
    Never doubted it for a second.

Advertisement