Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lane hogging

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

thomur wrote: »
    Have driven on the AutoBahn/US/All over Europe. Don't necessarily think driving here is worse than anywhere else. If im driving at the limit why should I move over for you if you, Obviously you are speeding.
    We drive on the left. On the N4 (or any dual carriageway), the second and third lanes are for overtaking. When you have finished overtaking, you move back to the left.
    If there is nobody on your left when you are in an overtaking lane, you are causing an offence.
    It has nothing to do with speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Please obey the law

But you don't....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

mudstack wrote: »
    Speed absolutely kills, cop on to yourself.

No it does not.

You should drive on the M2 at about 7 pm some day. You will see most people easily do 160 km/h and there are no problems at all.

Motorway driving is as safe as it gets. People do crazy speeds in Germany and don't have problems. Slow drivers are the issue, especially when they're in the wrong lane.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Please obey the law
    You too!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Indeed you are right about that. It came around 2002.
    Law was worded something like (vehicles with ordinary speed limit 50mph are prohibited from using most right lane of motorway).
    Since then it was obviously amended to 80km/h in 2004.

But then in 2009, they decided to change ordinary speed limit for buses on motorways from 80km/h to 100km/h which automatically took off buses and minibuses out of the group of vehicles prohibited from using most right lane.

I don't think RSA realised, as for long time after that they kept publishing incorrect information about buses still being prohibited. Either in ROTR as well as they issued leaflet about motorway driving in 2012 which also included this incorrect information.
    I started few threads on boards in relation to this in the past.
    Eventually I think last year, they eventually decided to correct their mistake and amended their materials to exclude buses from this prohibition of usage of right lane.

Also truck speed limist on motorway was raised in 2012 from 80km/h to 90km/h and prohibition of usage of right lane was amended approprietally to anything with ordinary speed limit of not greater than 90km/h.
    This is bit funny though, because smaller vehicles (like cars or vans) towing trailers are still limited to 80km/h on motorways, and trucks which can do 90km/h can not overtake them on 2 lane motorways.
    So technically speaking, if a truck will get stuck behind a car with trailer driving at legal 80km/h from Galway to Dublin, then this truck will need to do 80km/h all the way as well, as there is no legal way for him to overtake.
    Bit silly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mudstack

Pov06 wrote: »
    No it does not.

You should drive on the M2 at about 7 pm some day. You will see most people easily do 160 km/h and there are no problems at all.

Motorway driving is as safe as it gets. People do crazy speeds in Germany and don't have problems. Slow drivers are the issue, especially when they're in the wrong lane.

The speed limits are there for a reason. If you crash into someone at that speed you will likely kill them, hence the numerous slow down campaigns and court appearances for excessive speeding. Obviously this goes over your head. Speeding is for a racing track.

I drive on the M1 and M50 everyday, I follow the correct procedure for overtaking and stick to the speed limits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

kbannon wrote: »
    It appears that you are justifying your poor driving because others are doing something else.
    You can only improve your driving and forget about others.
    You drive legally and let the gardai sort out the law breakers.

Also the three lane carriageway up from the M50 to Leixlip is the N4 not the M4, hence cyclists, pedestrians and no motorway signage!

Lastly, you really do sound like you need to brush up on simple driving skills. Read through my earlier link.

28 years driving with no issues so disagree with your point about poor driving. I drive legally and Im not trying to sort out the law breakers but likewise if you speed then don't give out about other people who break the law

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

That happened almost 7 years ago when the motorway speed limit for buses was upped from 80km/h to 100km/h.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2008/en/si/0546.html

mudstack wrote: »
    The speed limits are there for a reason. If you crash into someone at that speed you will likely kill them, hence the numerous slow down campaigns and court appearances for excessive speeding. Obviously this goes over your head. Speeding is for a racing track.

I drive on the M1 and M50 everyday, I follow the correct procedure for overtaking and stick to the speed limits.

If you crash at the speed limit you will also probably kill someone and be killed yourself.

The speed is not the cause of the crash. Lack of driving skills is the problem when people think the lane they drive in is decided based on the weather.

I was in Germany 2 weeks ago and we were doing 180 km/h on a section that was probably worse than most of the national roads/motorways in Ireland. We came across scattered suit cases on the motorway and everyone slowed from from 180 (and even more, we were in the middle lane and there were people doing a lot higher speeds in the overtaking lane) to rolling speed with zero issues. No crashes or dead people. So, speed does not kill.

• Advertisement

No it does not.

Speed doesn't kill. Are you serious. At 30km 1 in 10 dies, at 60km 9 in 10 dies. Read up on it

Speed doesn't kill. Are you serious. At 30km 1 in 10 dies, at 60km 9 in 10 dies. Read up on it

Yes exactly, at 100 km/h how many die? 10/10?

Makes no difference so if I'm doing 200 km/h.

Maybe if people didn't use the wrong lane and observed before changing lanes there would be no crashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Do not use the outside lane if you are driving:

a goods vehicle with a design gross weight of more than 3,500 kilogrammes
    such as a lorry or heavy goods vehicle (HGV);

a passenger vehicle with seating for more than eight passengers;
    such as a bus; or

a vehicle towing a trailer, horsebox or caravan.

This from the RSA booklet: tinyurl.com/pyjgl5q quoted today on the Garda twitter feed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I drive legally

But you don't. You admitted that in your first comment

That relates to chances of pedestrian surviving a hit by a car with those speeds.

What we are talking about here, are motorway speeds which are much higher, as well as there are no pedestrians on motorways.

Sure by their logic they should just sit in lane 3 doing the speed limit and they will be world heroes.

Then said hero goes to lane 1 as they need to get off the motorway and they don't even check the mirrors.

CRASH

Speeder kills innocent people once again. HA.

Falcon L wrote: »

such as a bus; or

This from the RSA booklet: tinyurl.com/pyjgl5q quoted today on the Garda twitter feed.

I said above that RSA kept publishing incorrect info in their booklets for 5 years after law was amended.
    Buses are allowed to use any lane on motorway since 2009.

28 years driving with no issues so disagree with your point about poor driving. I drive legally and Im not trying to sort out the law breakers but likewise if you speed then don't give out about other people who break the law

You say you drive legally, but half an hour ago, you admitted to driving on middle lane, when vehicles overtake you on both sides.
    That's not driving legally.

Also how can you be sure you are at speed limit.
    Maybe you are on overtaking lane doing 119km/h and someone would be happy to use the chance to overtake you doing 120km/h - don't you think?

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    That relates to chances of pedestrian surviving a hit by a car with those speeds.

What we are talking about here, are motorway speeds which are much higher, as well as there are no pedestrians on motorways.

Cmon. Ok a car travelling towards a pedestrian at 60km or a car sideswiping you at 100km per hour. I don't fancy my chances in either

I said above that RSA kept publishing incorrect info in their booklets for 5 years after law was amended.
    Buses are allowed to use any lane on motorway since 2009.
    That's a current RSA document, quoted just today on the Garda twitter account.

You're right and the RSA and Gardai are wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

such as a bus; or

Doesn't apply to buses with no standing passengers.
    The law prohibits vehicles with a limit of 90km/h or lower from the outer lane but buses with no standing passengers have a limit of 100km/h on motorways and so are allowed in the outer lane.
    Buses with standing passengers have a much lower speed limit and so are banned from the outer lane.

You say you drive legally, but half an hour ago, you admitted to driving on middle lane, when vehicles overtake you on both sides.
    That's not driving legally.

Also how can you be sure you are at speed limit.
    Maybe you are on overtaking lane doing 119km/h and someone would be happy to use the chance to overtake you doing 120km/h - don't you think?

Most of the time I will travel on the left lane and pull aside to let people pass me(One single lane roads if possible). It just kills me that its like Carmageddon on the first few miles of the M4/N4(Whatever its called). So dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

No it does not.

Don't be so naive, speed does kill, you're mixing that up with infrastructure that allows a faster speed to be maintained safely.

160km/h is safer on a three lane flat motorway with oncoming traffic seperated where it would be more dangerous on an uneven two lane road with oncoming traffic, purely down to the likelyhood of something causing you to lose control. If you crash on either at 160km/h there's a good chance you'll lose your life.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Doesn't apply to buses with no standing passengers.
    The law prohibits vehicles with a limit of 90km/h or lower from the outer lane but buses with no standing passengers have a limit of 100km/h on motorways and so are allowed in the outer lane.
    Buses with standing passengers have a much lower speed limit and so are banned from the outer lane.
    The RSA booklet says nothing about speed limits with/without passengers, just what I quoted above. If they're wrong, shouldn't someone tell them?

That's a current RSA document, quoted just today on the Garda twitter account.

You're right and the RSA and Gardai are wrong?

Exactly.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Don't be so naive, speed does kill, you're mixing that up with infrastructure that allows a faster speed to be maintained safely.

160km/h is safer on a three lane flat motorway with oncoming traffic seperated where it would be more dangerous on an uneven two lane road with oncoming traffic, purely down to the likelyhood of something causing you to lose control. If you crash on either at 160km/h there's a good chance you'll lose your life.

See - speed doesn't kill. Loss of control - maybe.

The same can happen at any speed :)

Exactly.
    Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭GTE

It just kills me that its like Carmageddon on the first few miles of the M4/N4(Whatever its called). So dangerous

So why do you add to the issues on the N4 by knowingly taking up an overtaking lane when you know there are people in the cruising and second overtaking lane going faster than you?

Context:
    Try the M4. I always travel at the speed limit in the middle lane and constantly being undertook and overtook on both sides

Oh. . .
    Ok, maybe my lack of knowledge but I always thought it was for people who were exiting at the next exit

Advertisement