Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lane hogging

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Falcon L wrote: »
    Wow.

Like what can I say.
    It's not my fault that they publish incorrect info, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

bbk wrote: »
    So why do you add to the issues on the N4 by knowingly taking up an overtaking lane when you know there are people in the cruising and second overtaking lane going faster than you?

Context:

See that's the thing. People like him say "I've been driving for 28 years" and they won't even go to the trouble of actually reading up the rules of the road because they think they are a driving master.

As one person on Boards put it a while ago: Every mile you drive is a new experience and it is more experience gained on the road. That's not to say you are a perfect driver. Every single mile you drive you learn to drive better but never master it.

rizzodun wrote: »
    If you crash on either at 160km/h there's a good chance you'll lose your life.

Pretty much the same if you crash at 120km/h.
    Very little chance you will survive an impact at such speed.
    Even at 100km/h chances of surviving are minimal.
    Does that mean that we all should drive 30km/h max even on motorways, just because in case we crash, this makes us more likely to survive?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

thomur wrote: »
    28 years driving with no issues so disagree with your point about poor driving. I drive legally and Im not trying to sort out the law breakers but likewise if you speed then don't give out about other people who break the law
    28 years driving without knowing the basics!
    By driving in the middle lane with no traffic on your left, you are not driving legally. Ask any garda!

CiniO wrote: »
    Does that mean that we all should drive 30km/h max even on motorways, just because in case we crash, this makes us more likely to survive?

Don't even get me started on revving the car past 3000 RPM.

Jayziz, the bleedin' engine will implode and the wheels will fall off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

No, I'm just pointing out the statement that speed doesn't kill is a load of bull. Of course you have to take precautions where you can and also accept the risks same with flying in a plane etc. Infrastructure reduces the risk but the speed can still kill if something goes wrong.

No, I'm just pointing out the statement that speed doesn't kill is a load of bull. Of course you have to take precautions where you can and also accept the risks same with flying in a plane etc. Infrastructure reduces the risk but the speed can still kill if something goes wrong.

What ever goes wrong is what kills. Not the speed. You are contradicting yourself in every post.

If the wheels fall off on the motorway you will be fcuked regardless of your speed.

thomur wrote: »
    It just kills me that its like Carmageddon on the first few miles of the M4/N4(Whatever its called). So dangerous
    Personally, l believe that a lot of it is frustration with limited options to overtake because of numpties driving in the middle lane equally oblivious to others on the road and to the rules.

Pov06 wrote: »
    See - speed doesn't kill. Loss of control - maybe.

The same can happen at any speed :)

Loss of control at 30km/h can will be unlikely to kill you though.

Jesus, some of the waffle that goes on in this forum sometimes.

Jesus, some of the waffle that goes on in this forum sometimes.

Driving at 30 km/h on any motorway will probably kill you because someone will drive into you at 100 km/h.

• Advertisement

Just to add my €0.02 to the speed debate, speed makes any incident end up worse

Speed itself doesn't kill. However crashing at 120km/h will have most of an effect than crashing at 80km/h

kbannon wrote: »
    Just to add my €0.02 to the speed debate, speed makes any incident end up worse

Speed itself doesn't kill. However crashing at 120km/h will have most of an effect than crashing at 80km/h

That can be argued.

For instance:
    Car A is travelling at 80 km/h
    Car B is travelling at 120 km/h

What happens during a side-swipe? A big collision.

Now:
    Car A is travelling at 120 km/h

What happens during a side-swipe? A small tap. If both drivers steer away from each other everything should be fine.

Driving at 30 km/h on any motorway will probably kill you because someone will drive into you at 100 km/h.

Ffs I'm pointing out the difference in loss of control at 30km/h and 100km/h plus, not advocating 30km/h motorway speed limits, you said speed doesn't kill, I'm pointing out that it does, and it's backed up with numerous studies and data as you know.

Ffs I'm pointing out the difference in loss of control at 30km/h and 100km/h plus, not advocating 30km/h motorway speed limits, you said speed doesn't kill, I'm pointing out that it does, and it's backed up with numerous studies and data as you know.

This whole thread is related to motorway driving though. Nobody said you should be driving at 160 km/h on a back road. You'd be a numpty to do 30 km/h on a motorway too.

That can be argued.

For instance:
    Car A is travelling at 80 km/h

What happens during a side-swipe? A big collision.

Now:
    Car A is travelling at 120 km/h

What happens during a side-swipe? A small tap. If both drivers steer away from each other everything should be fine.

This is complete bollocks, two cars touch at 120km/h there's a big chance one or both will lose control due to the high speed the cars are travelling.

This is complete bollocks, two cars touch at 120km/h there's a big chance one or both will lose control due to the high speed the cars are travelling.

The only loss of control that could be caused is both drivers steering far too much away from each other.

The cars could easily handle a side tap at the same speed though. Remember there is no speed difference between the two cars.

Yes, but there must be some golden mean between absolute safety, and speed of travel.
    When motorway is properly designed and drivers properly trained, driving at 200km/h is safe enough to justify extra benefit of quick travel.

In general in my opinion currently roads in Ireland are safe enough and there's hardly any point in going crazy by lowering speed limits to save few lifes.
    You are way more likely to die of cancer, some other kinds of disease, or just having accident in your own home like falling of the stairs, than dying in car accident.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Since the normal speed on a motorway is 120 km/h, those studies and the data do not apply.
    If I lose control at 120 km/h and crash into a concrete barrier, I am fcuked.
    The same applies if I lose control at 140, 160, 180, 200, I could go on.
    But your statement "speed kills" is factually incorrect. I drove at 240 km/h once. Did the fact that I was driving at that speed kill me? No, unless I am very much mistaken (and that is always possible), I am currently alive and writing this.

Also, if we follow the "speed kills" brigade argument, their logic absolutely is aiming at a blanket 60 km/h speed limit for every vehicle on every road of the entire country. Because even one life saved would make it worth it, no?
    Logically there is no argument against. Several hundred people a year get killed, we could get this figure down to ZERO immediately! Wouldn't it be worth it? The lives saved, the fuel saved, it would save us billions!
    Anyone who argues against wants people to die and would have to be viewed as a murderer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mudstack

If you crash at the speed limit you will also probably kill someone and be killed yourself.

The speed is not the cause of the crash. Lack of driving skills is the problem when people think the lane they drive in is decided based on the weather.

I was in Germany 2 weeks ago and we were doing 180 km/h on a section that was probably worse than most of the national roads/motorways in Ireland. We came across scattered suit cases on the motorway and everyone slowed from from 180 (and even more, we were in the middle lane and there were people doing a lot higher speeds in the overtaking lane) to rolling speed with zero issues. No crashes or dead people. So, speed does not kill.

Lack of driving skills and speed are a bigger problem than lack of driving skills alone.
    People who think they are great drivers are often a big problem too.

You have less time to react or manoeuvre away from a problem at a higher speed. There will always be human error, we are not robots.

You may have not been involved in an accident Germany 2 weeks ago.

A 2008 report by the European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) found that of the 645 road deaths in Germany in 2006, 67% occurred on on motorway sections without limits and 33% on stretches with a permanent limit.

mudstack wrote: »
    Lack of driving skills and speed are a bigger problem than lack of driving skills alone.
    People who think they are great drivers are often a big problem too.

You have less time to react or manoeuvre away from a problem at a higher speed. There will always be human error, we are not robots.

You may have not been involved in an accident Germany 2 weeks ago.

A 2008 report by the European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) found that of the 645 road deaths in Germany in 2006, 67% occurred on on motorway sections without limits and 33% on stretches with a permanent limit.

Yes I agree, I may not have enough time to react or manoeuvre away from a middle lane hogger who jumps into lane 1 without checking their mirrors.

Legally it's my fault for undertaking. Personally and factually I would still say the lack of knowledge of the ROTR by the middle lane hogger is the cause of the crash, not my speeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

harr wrote: »
    On M50 today not often up that part of the country the amount of cars hogging the overtaking lanes ,one in particular a young lady in a ford KA causing all sorts of problems she was going no more than 40km in the far right over taking lane.
    Got stuck behind her for about 2km no choice in end but to over take on the inside ...anyway just as I was undertaking her a traffic cop flies up behind us and pulls her over but where does she try pull over....yep pull ups on the right ..cops had to guide her over to hard shoulder ..
    Same cop car pulled over a merc driving in over talking lane further up the M50 was not causing any problems and keeping to the speed limit but got pulled I presume for being in the wrong lane.
    Good to see the cops pulling for this...is the M50 always this bad ?
    That's called undertaking ;)

Yes I agree, I may not have enough time to react or manoeuvre away from a middle lane hogger who jumps into lane 1 without checking their mirrors.

Legally it's my fault for undertaking. Personally and factually I would still say the lack of knowledge of the ROTR by the middle lane hogger is the cause of the crash, not my speeding.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Well I'm just driving on a clear road with no issues and a lane hogger pulls out in front of me.

Nothing wrong with my driving :rolleyes:

Well I'm just driving on a clear road with no issues and a lane hogger pulls out in front of me.

Nothing wrong with my driving :rolleyes:

If you were driving at the speed limit and not speeding, you'd have more time to react to someone pulling out in front of you or maybe it wouldn't be an issue at all if you weren't speeding and you wouldn't be endangering other peoples lives.

You might feel differently if someone speeding excessively crashed into the back of your son or daughter killing them.

If you were driving at the speed limit and not speeding, you'd have more time to react to someone pulling out in front of you or maybe it wouldn't be an issue at all if you weren't speeding and you wouldn't be endangering other peoples lives.

You might feel differently if someone speeding excessively crashed into the back of your son or daughter killing them.

That still doesn't change the fact the someone changed lane without checking their mirrors/blindspots.

I cannot anticipate other people's actions. The same could happen if I was doing 120 km/h in lane 3 and someone in lane 2 pulls out in front of me.

And if you drove at only half a speed limit, you would have even more time to react. We can go on like that for ages.
    Speed limit is no guarantee of any safety. It's just a random number that someone though will be appropriate.
    Safe driving has nothing to do with obeying the limit really.
    Very often you might be a danger below speed limit, and often you might be perfectly safe above speed limit.
    To be honest with yout, it would make no difference for me whatsoever if person who crashed into my son and daughter and killed them did it while being above speed limit or within speed limit or even at half speed limit. No difference whatsoever.

That still doesn't change the fact the someone changed lane without checking their mirrors/blindspots.

I cannot anticipate other people's actions. The same could happen if I was doing 120 km/h in lane 3 and someone in lane 2 pulls out in front of me.

They may have checked their mirrors and assumed you were far enough behind to pull out, but unfortunately you being the tool that you are were driving well beyond the speed limit and knocked them into traffic or into a pole in the middle of the road.

They may have checked their mirrors and assumed you were far enough behind to pull out, but unfortunately you being the tool that you are were driving well beyond the speed limit and knocked them into traffic or into a pole in the middle of the road.

Remember, I'm not the tool hogging the middle lane. If you like hogging the middle lane you should realise you are an accident waiting to happen.

Not my problem. Any time I undertake I am ready to shoot into the hard shoulder.

Brilliant. 33% of deaths on German motorways are on stretches with permanent speed limit.

Now let's look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn where it clearly says that stretches of autobahn with permanent speed limit accounts for - guess what - 33%.

What it means - it means that chances of dying on autobahn are exactly the same on restricted or not restricted parts of it, so speed limit makes no difference whatsoever.

• Advertisement

And if you drove at only half a speed limit, you would have even more time to react. We can go on like that for ages.
    Speed limit is no guarantee of any safety. It's just a random number that someone though will be appropriate.
    Safe driving has nothing to do with obeying the limit really.
    Very often you might be a danger below speed limit, and often you might be perfectly safe above speed limit.

To be honest with yout, it would make no difference for me whatsoever if person who crashed into my son and daughter and killed them did it while being above speed limit or within speed limit or even at half speed limit. No difference whatsoever.

Yes you would have time more time to react and thats the reason for speed limits, I'm glad you finally see the point of speed limits.

A lot of people would absolutely care that the person who crashed into their family member/friend was speeding.

Advertisement