Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lane hogging

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Pov06 wrote: »
    People speeding is non of your business, unless you are driving a Garda car.

Well then likewise, the speed I drive at is no one elses business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mudstack

Knine wrote: »
    I actually thought maybe you were joking. I think you definitely need to read the rules of the road. You are actually the cause of the undertaking.

Maybe you need to read the rules of the road?

Lane 1

The normal 'keep left' rule applies. Stay in this lane unless you are overtaking.

Lane 2

On a two-lane motorway, use this for overtaking only and move back into lane 1 when you have finished. You may also use this lane to accommodate traffic merging from the left.

On a three-lane motorway, you may stay in this centre lane while there is slower moving traffic in lane 1.

Lane 3

If you are travelling on a three-lane motorway, you must use this lane only if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving in queues and you need to overtake or accommodate merging traffic. Once you've finished overtaking, move back to your left and allow faster traffic coming from behind to pass by.

You must not use the lane nearest the central median, that is, the outside lane (lane 2 or lane 3, depending on the number of lanes), if you are driving:

a goods vehicle with a maximum authorised mass of more than 3,500 kilograms, such as a lorry or heavy goods vehicle, or

a vehicle towing a trailer, horsebox or caravan.

You may use it, however, in exceptional circumstances when you cannot proceed in the inner lane because of an obstruction ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

thomur wrote: »

Lane usage has nothing to do with your speed. You can drive at 200 km/h in the left lane if you wish.
    mudstack wrote: »
    Maybe you need to read the rules of the road?

Lane 1

The normal 'keep left' rule applies. Stay in this lane unless you are overtaking.

Lane 2

On a two-lane motorway, use this for overtaking only and move back into lane 1 when you have finished. You may also use this lane to accommodate traffic merging from the left.

On a three-lane motorway, you may stay in this centre lane while there is slower moving traffic in lane 1.

Lane 3

If you are travelling on a three-lane motorway, you must use this lane only if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving in queues and you need to overtake or accommodate merging traffic. Once you've finished overtaking, move back to your left and allow faster traffic coming from behind to pass by.

You must not use the lane nearest the central median, that is, the outside lane (lane 2 or lane 3, depending on the number of lanes), if you are driving:

a goods vehicle with a maximum authorised mass of more than 3,500 kilograms, such as a lorry or heavy goods vehicle, or

a vehicle towing a trailer, horsebox or caravan.

You may use it, however, in exceptional circumstances when you cannot proceed in the inner lane because of an obstruction ahead.

That's exactly that (s)he is saying. You shouldn't hog the middle lane if there are no cars in the left lane.

Lane usage has nothing to do with your speed. You can drive at 200 km/h in the left lane if you wish.

That's exactly that (s)he is saying. You shouldn't hog the middle lane if there are no cars in the left lane.

I'm was assuming they were driving in the middle lane as the traffic was slower moving in the left lane.

I'm was assuming they were driving in the middle lane as the traffic was slower moving in the left lane.

Well thomur did say he was getting undertook and overtook as he was driving in the middle lane which means cars were travelling faster in the left lane :P

• Advertisement

People speeding is non of your business, unless you are driving a Garda car.

You do not have to move into slower moving traffic when you are at the speed limit because someone is driving up your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Your middle lane hogging is everyones business though & the whole point of this thread.

I'm a she btw :-)

Well thomur did say he was getting undertook and overtook as he was driving in the middle lane which means cars were travelling faster in the left lane :P

Yes. There are cars travelling slower in the left lane. But then every so often someone swings in and undertakes on the inside.

You do not have to move into slower moving traffic when you are at the speed limit because someone is driving up your arse.

True but the above person said he was getting undertook so that means cars were travelling faster in the left lane which means he does in fact have to move over.
    Yes. There are cars travelling slower in the left lane. But then every so often someone swings in and undertakes on the inside.

If someone undertakes you on the inside then it means cars are travelling faster in the left lane and you are hogging the middle lane.

Are you serious

• Advertisement

Are you serious

Deadly serious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Ok, maybe my lack of knowledge but I always thought it was for people who were exiting at the next exit

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

True but the above person said he was getting undertook so that means cars were travelling faster in the left lane which means he does in fact have to move over.

If someone undertakes you on the inside then it means cars are travelling faster in the left lane and you are hogging the middle lane.[/QUO

Sorry, but if people obeyed the speed limits there would be no issue. Im not driving Miss Daisy. I drive at the upper end of the speed limit. Are you suggesting everyone should move aside for the boy racers?

You don't have to but you could always use your common sense ;)

Sorry, but if people obeyed the speed limits there would be no issue. Im not driving Miss Daisy. I drive at the upper end of the speed limit. Are you suggesting everyone should move aside for the boy racers?

Actually if people didn't hog the middle lane and moved to the left then we might not even need a speed limit like on the autobahns in Germany.

Just goes to show how clueless drivers are in this country.

I think you should rent a car and try drive on the autobahn. You will either get abused by other drivers or will cause a major crash.

If you are travelling at the speed limit and the left lane is empty, GTFO of the middle lane. Simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

harr wrote: »
    On M50 today not often up that part of the country the amount of cars hogging the overtaking lanes ,one in particular a young lady in a ford KA causing all sorts of problems she was going no more than 40km in the far right over taking lane.
    Got stuck behind her for about 2km no choice in end but to over take on the inside ...anyway just as I was undertaking her a traffic cop flies up behind us and pulls her over but where does she try pull over....yep pull ups on the right ..cops had to guide her over to hard shoulder ..
    Same cop car pulled over a merc driving in over talking lane further up the M50 was not causing any problems and keeping to the speed limit but got pulled I presume for being in the wrong lane.
    Good to see the cops pulling for this...is the M50 always this bad ?

How did you manage to see them pulling both?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

If someone undertakes you on the inside then it means cars are travelling faster in the left lane and you are hogging the middle lane.[/QUO

You can't be serious. The rules are simple. Drive in lane 1 unless you are overtaking. What speed you drive at is irrelevant.

Why are you in the middle lane at all when you're not overtaking?

Knine wrote: »
    Your middle lane hogging is everyones business though & the whole point of this thread.

I'm a she btw :-)

Don't agree. Cant be vilified for following the law if I follow the speed limit. Can't understand how people justify speeding

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It appears that you are justifying your poor driving because others are doing something else.
    You can only improve your driving and forget about others.
    You drive legally and let the gardai sort out the law breakers.

Also the three lane carriageway up from the M50 to Leixlip is the N4 not the M4, hence cyclists, pedestrians and no motorway signage!

Lastly, you really do sound like you need to brush up on simple driving skills. Read through my earlier link.

• Advertisement

Jesus. wrote: »
    Why are you in the middle lane at all when you're not overtaking?

Because he's driving the speed limit apparently. People seem to have this consensus that lane 1 is 80 km/h, lane 2 is 100 km/h and lane 3 is "for da boyracers".

Don't agree. Cant be vilified for following the law if I follow the speed limit. Can't understand how people justify speeding

You're not following the law, you're breaking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Speeding is a separate issue. You have to be on the wind up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

mada82 wrote: »
    Speeding is a separate issue. You have to be on the wind up

I think he is

Actually middle lane hogging is a lot more dangerous than speeding. People like you cause people to undertake and then you get daft people who don't even check their mirrors and pull out in front of the undertaker.

Speed doesn't kill. Lack of observation does so please move into the left lane and do all the commuters a favour.

Actually if people didn't hog the middle lane and moved to the left then we might not even need a speed limit like on the autobahns in Germany.

Just goes to show how clueless drivers are in this country.

I think you should rent a car and try drive on the autobahn. You will either get abused by other drivers or will cause a major crash.

If you are travelling at the speed limit and the left lane is empty, GTFO of the middle lane. Simple really.

Have driven on the AutoBahn/US/All over Europe. Don't necessarily think driving here is worse than anywhere else. If im driving at the limit why should I move over for you if you, Obviously you are speeding.

Someone can undertake you before you get to overtake the slower moving traffic in the left lane, see it everyday. It's usually a crazy manoeuvre that gets them not very far anyway and puts many peoples lives in danger.

Actually middle lane hogging is a lot more dangerous than speeding. People like you cause people to undertake and then you get daft people who don't even check their mirrors and pull out in front of the undertaker.

Speed doesn't kill. Lack of observation does so please move into the left lane and do all the commuters a favour.

Please obey the law

• Advertisement

Speed absolutely kills, cop on to yourself.

Advertisement