Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy Walsh quits ** SEE MOD WARNING #643 BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

I may have lost something in the mix of all this squabbling, but how have teams been chosen with IABA committee involvement?

The National Elite Senior Championships determine who represents Ireland, not Billy Walsh or indeed the IABA?

Is Billy looking to pick other lads for major tournaments rather than choosing the national champion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Whats apparent is that the man on the street, who has no notion about the sporting of boxing, seems to be backing Billy Walsh in all of this.

Most of the fighters are using it as an opportunity to praise Billy Walsh but also let it be known that it wasn't all down to him.

Boxers by their nature would not like one man getting all the credit, same way the blazers are probably smarting every time they see Walsh getting the plaudits in the media.

Its surely a question of jealousy here, IABA officials are unhappy at the levels of acclaim Walsh seems to be getting for a job that they feel is carried out by just another cog on the wheel.

Michael Carruth was gas on the radio yesterday, he was keen to stress it wasn't the IABA's fault (as Walshb seems to be doing), whilst also not being shy in highlighting that Billy Walsh is only one man. All of this was said whilst claiming he doesn't know whats going on (even though his brother is a high ranking executive). It would be more refreshing if they had the balls to say what they really feel about the situation.

i.e It seriously grinds their gears to see him become so revered in mainstream media

Carruth knows he would be slaughtered if he said what he really thought.

All of these guys, Dunne, Carruth etc.. even probably the other high performance coaches, they all know what side their bread is buttered on.

Carruth mentioning Zaur as a replacement for Billy was the best thing of all. As far as i'm aware Zaur's level of spoken English is more suitable working as a number 2. And Carruth knows this.

Lots of arse kissing, probably in the hope of landing the job himself even though he claims the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,061 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

walshb wrote: »
    I was expecting this. So, why has it taken 10-11 years for Walsh to now decide that it was an issue? Was the U.S. deal something that gave him the impetus to put it up to the IABA? Kind of throw his weight around so to speak?

Wasn't there changes made to the structure 18 months ago?

I was under the impression what he was after was those changes getting reversed and to have more, or possibly complete autonomy when it came to selection.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Decision by committee rarely brings success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Terrible shame to lose Billy Walsh. Hope he does well in the US unless against Irish fighters.
    He's left Irish amateur boxing in a great place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,952 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Terrible shame to lose Billy Walsh. Hope he does well in the US unless against Irish fighters.
    He's left Irish amateur boxing in a great place.

Nice edit😉

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Kieran Mulvey fairly scathing of the IABA on Primetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

walshb wrote:
    That's brilliant. Could it be better? Possibly.

Can you elaborate on this further? Do you feel we were underachieving?

Oh forgot the DOR fiasco

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Kieran Mulvey fairly scathing of the IABA on Primetime.

On RTE1 +1 now

• Advertisement

@IrishTimes: IABA given 24 hours to resolve Billy Walsh controversy https://t.co/wFppDbpNQL via @IrishTimesSport https://t.co/fCTfQrMJJG

case885 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on this further? Do you feel we were underachieving?

No. I don't feel that we are/were underachieving. It's the one Irish sport that I am very close to 100 percent that we are truly committed and truly competitive.

Even with half the success I'd think the same. The lads are pure quality. The teams behind them too.

No. I don't feel that we are/were underachieving. It's the one Irish sport that I am very close to 100 percent that we are truly committed and truly competitive.

Even with half the success I'd think the same. The lads are pure quality. The teams behind them too.

The women aren't too bad either 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

The Sports Council have effectively raised the possibility that the IABA will revert to full amateur status unless the IABA honours its agreement. Without a core grant, wages can't be paid. They have 14 or so more hours to sort it out.

efb wrote: »
    @IrishTimes: IABA given 24 hours to resolve Billy Walsh controversy https://t.co/wFppDbpNQL via @IrishTimesSport https://t.co/fCTfQrMJJG

Whatever about the rights and wrongs or peoples beliefs here I think it's a disgrace that the ISC are issuing these threats against the whole organisation. It's not just the IABA they are threatening here. It's every club and county and boxer affiliated to the organisation.

slow wrote: »
    The Sports Council have effectively raised the possibility that the IABA will revert to full amateur status unless the IABA honours its agreement. Without a core grant, wages can't be paid. They have 14 or so more hours to sort it out.

Talk about setting a dangerous precedent. That a governemnet organisation can threaten you like this if they don't like something your are doing? This has escalated to ludicrous proportions.

Me: If I was Walsh I'd stand up and I'd tell the ISC to butt out. I'd tell them not be be threatening the very sport that I love. This is one man's gripe with the IABA. If that that cannot be worked out then so be it, but for the ISC to then punish many many people because of it is just obscene.

Whatever about the rights and wrongs or peoples beliefs here I think it's a disgrace that the ISC are issuing these threats against the whole organisation. It's not just the IABA they are threatening here. It's every club and county and boxer affiliated to the organisation.

They had a brokered agreement, they hold the purse strings, nothing stopping IABA going their own way being self funded

He who pays the piper, calls the tune

Talk about setting a dangerous precedent. That a governemnet organisation can threaten you like this if they don't like something your are doing? This has escalated to ludicrous proportions.

Me: If I was Walsh I'd stand up and I'd tell the ISC to butt out. I'd tell them not be be threatening the very sport that I love. This is one man's gripe with the IABA. If that that cannot be worked out then so be it, but for the ISC to then punish many many people because of it is just obscene.

It's more than a gripe- when are they going to release their 'reservations' about the deal???

Surely the IABA committee are also guilty of 'Ruining the sport you love'

Surely the IABA committee are also guilty of 'Ruining the sport you love'

I was not aware that the sport of amateur boximng was in any way ruined. Going on the media reports and success in recent years the sport seems to be thriving. The most successful we have.

The picture is becoming a little clearer now. If the likes of the ISC are the one's involved in deals and negotiations, and with an attitude and bully boy way of doing buisness, then I am far from ready to juts say nothing and agree with it.

Like I said, Billy aside, this threat is a downright disgarce, and anyone who really is fond of the sport can not deny it. This threat has nothing to do with Walsh and the IABA. It's an out of the blue bully boy tactic that should be slated.

• Advertisement

They had a brokered agreement, they hold the purse strings, nothing stopping IABA going their own way being self funded

He who pays the piper, calls the tune

You have a point here. They do hold the purse strings.

You have a point here. They do hold the purse strings.

If the IABA want autonomy, they have to have fiscal autonomy too.

Cant take the queen's shilling and then declare Republican (The Political def)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

National governing bodies from a lot of non-mainstream sports rely almost fully on Sports Council funding (plus Sport Northern Ireland). Some NGBs raise hardly any sponsorship. This has meant that their destiny is out of their hands. They are running their sports in trust for the ISC.

Whether this is good or bad is debatable. But, it's a fact. And the IABA Board seem oblivious to this.

There will be travel expenses for whatever emergency meeting is convened today. But all deals are off going into the future. HP funding and core funding are separate. The NGB is a conduit for carding money. It can easily be bypassed if necessary.

It's a sad state of affairs that it takes the threat of P45s to knock heads together.

The Government has been embarrassed hugely by this debacle. Rio comes after the next election. It's action time now.

If the IABA want autonomy, they have to have fiscal autonomy too.

Cant take the queen's shilling and then declare Republican (The Political def)

The IABA have to have some leadership and governance. It's not autonomy. It's allowing the sports body to run its sport. The ISC are there to provide funding if that sport warrants it and needs it.

So, every time someone in the HP or other are has an issue with the IABA the ISC can step in and threaten the sport with funding cuts? This is bonkers.

Maybe I am wrong, but I didn't/don't think that the ISC should have such say and influence in how each sport runs its affairs. They can advise, but ultimately, allow the sport and its democratic systems to manage and direct the sport. If the sport is not prodcing results, that is when funding should be reviewed.

The IABA have to have some leadership and governance. It's not autonomy. It's allowing the sports body to run its sport. The ISC are there to provide funding if that sport warrants it and needs it.

So, every time someone in the HP or other are has an issue with the IABA the ISC can step in and threaten the sport with funding cuts? This is bonkers.

If they brokered an agreement that was agreed by all, then one side pulls out, without explanation, questions need to be asked.

It was never put to the board,

If they brokered an agreement that was agreed by all, then one side pulls out, without explanation, questions need to be asked.

It was never put to the board,

Ask questions. No issue there. These bully boy threats to pull the plug on funding and punish many people because of internal employment issues is way out of line. It shows a complete disregard and lack of respect from the ISC to the sport. There was no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ask questions. No issue there. These bully boy threats to pull the plug on funding and punish many people because of internal employment issues is way out of line. It shows a complete disregard and lack of respect from the ISC to the sport. There was no need for it.

Funding is based on agreements. If the iaba can't be trusted to follow through on agreements then they can't be trusted with public money and it should be removed from them.

The IABA are bound by agreement, Sports Council fund the HP unit.

Local boxing is funded by central government

Bullying?? Are you saying Kieran Mulvey is bullying the IABA??

• Advertisement

Bullying?? Are you saying Kieran Mulvey is bullying the IABA??

Making a threat like he did last night is IMO bullying. It's definitely threatening.

Advertisement