Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy Walsh quits ** SEE MOD WARNING #643 BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Barnes doesn't ever strike me as an amenable fellow

• Registered Users Posts: 55,160 ✭✭✭✭walshb

efb wrote: »
    Barnes doesn't ever strike me as an amenable fellow

I kind of feel the same. But at least the guy is direct. Even if that is part of his problem.

I read that Bernard Dunne also intimated the same view as Paddy. I think Bernard thinks that Billy got too big for his boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

walshb wrote: »
    It was quite an isulting comment whether true or not true. And it wasn't a slip of the toungue either.

I don't believe you are a troll, not intentionally anyway, but it's hard to work out. I can list probably 10 boxers who have praised Billy Walsh and that won't count, but yet something Paddy Barnes says we are meant to take as offering some critical truth. I try to respect all positions and learn from counter-arguments, but finding it more and more difficult to take what you say seriously. And I mean that with all due respect.

I kind of feel the same. But at least the guy is direct. Even if that is part of his problem.

I read that Bernard Dunne also intimated the same view as Paddy. I think Bernard thinks that Billy got too big for his boots.

That's why he has to beg for sponsors- who'd touch him. He's a hot head

• Advertisement

Maybe he'd get more that bronze...

Barnes IMO beat Zou in London, and would have walked the final.

Katie Taylor spoke very highly of him, and we've never had a more successful boxer in the organisation

I don't believe you are a troll, not intentionally anyway, but it's hard to work out. I can list probably 10 boxers who have praised Billy Walsh and that won't count, but yet something Paddy Barnes says we are meant to take as offering some critical truth. I try to respect all positions and learn from counter-arguments, but finding it more and more difficult to take what you say seriously. And I mean that with all due respect.

Hold on....Are you taking my post about Barnes' comment as something to bolster my view? It's the complete opposite. I was clear: The comment was insulting IMO. I just mentioned the comment in regard to this affair.

Barnes IMO beat Zou in London, and would have walked the final.

He didn't. It wasn't rigged. He lost fairly and squarely by the rules of scoring Amateur Boxing, and that's my qualified opinion

Katie Taylor spoke very highly of him, and we've never had a more successful boxer in the organisation

Yes, amongst others.

Billy seems to have a very good rapport and respect with the boxers. I don't think anyone has implied otherwise. I am sure there are some boxers who aren't overly fond, but that's life.

• Advertisement

He didn't. It wasn't rigged. He lost fairly and squarely by the rules of scoring Amateur Boxing, and that's my qualified opinion

Who said it was rigged? I just thought that he did enough to win. It wasn't a robbery.

Who said it was rigged? I just thought that he did enough to win. It wasn't a robbery.

What score did you have???

What score did you have???

I can't recall. Anyway, it was on the computer scores. I don't believe I sat there pressing buttons. I would have to go watch it again. It was 3 + years ago. Close fight no doubt. I just remember at the time feeling that Barnew won it, and I was gutted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2015/1021/736448-kieran-mulvey-attacks-iaba-over-walsh-exit/

Plenty more from Kieran Mulvey. It's utterly damning for the IABA and Fergal Carruth, whose position looks to be untenable now.

Highlights include: "In my five years as chairman of the Irish Sporting Council it would be my view that what we’ve been trying manage over the last five years in a dysfunctional arrangement. I’m putting it mildly when I say that."

"The high performance coach or head coach could not engage with the Olympic Council of Ireland, the Irish Sports Council or the media without the written permission of the CEO. Imagine Joe Scmidt being told he had to contact Phillip Brown every time he selected a team or he could talk to the media. This in unconscionable and it’s unacceptable."

"How is it that we’ve got to this stage? How is it that on 24 hours before Billy Walsh departs for the United States to talk up an appointment that will put him in direct challenge with Ireland that all they say is a one paragraph ‘thank you very much and goodbye’. I've never seen such crocodile tears in my life.”

Hold on....Are you taking my post about Barnes' comment as something to bolster my view? It's the complete opposite. I was clear: The comment was insulting IMO. I juts mentioned the comment in regard to this affair.

Okay fair enough, wrong interpretation on my part. Apologies for that. Paddy always comes across as his own man, looking out for himself, and that's fair enough in many ways. Has had a few rants about the IABA too in recent times. Doesn't bother me if boxers don't like Billy, the key is they respect him and I believe the majority of them do.

Plenty more from Kieran Mulvey. It's utterly damning for the IABA and Fergal Carruth, whose position looks to be untenable now.

Highlights include: "In my five years as chairman of the Irish Sporting Council it would be my view that what we’ve been trying manage over the last five years in a dysfunctional arrangement. I’m putting it mildly when I say that."

"The high performance coach or head coach could not engage with the Olympic Council of Ireland, the Irish Sports Council or the media without the written permission of the CEO. Imagine Joe Scmidt being told he had to contact Phillip Brown every time he selected a team or he could talk to the media. This in unconscionable and it’s unacceptable."

"How is it that we’ve got to this stage? How is it that on 24 hours before Billy Walsh departs for the United States to talk up an appointment that will put him in direct challenge with Ireland that all they say is a one paragraph ‘thank you very much and goodbye’. I've never seen such crocodile tears in my life.”

I'd have wondered whether there's more to it than the media thing to be honest. The way he's talking about it, it should only be a symptom of a much wider malaise.

I can't recall. Anyway, it was on the computer scores. I don't believe I sat there pressing buttons. I would have to go watch it again. It was 3 + years ago. Close fight no doubt. I just remember at the time feeling that Barnew won it, and I was gutted for him.

Oh and Ken Egan was beaten fairly too

Oh and Ken Egan was beaten fairly too

I believe that Egan lost a very close decision in Beijing.

I believe that Egan lost a very close decision in Beijing.

It wasn't close impo

It wasn't close impo

Don't let Kenny and some here hear you saying that!

• Advertisement

I'm hardly going to say that. I congratulated him on his silver medal

Most R/J's I spoke with thought the same

Most R/J's I spoke with thought the same

I remember how the Irish delegation let thmselves down in Beijing by slagging the judges and claiming robbery. It was bang out of order, and painted us as nothing but sore losers. Even if it was a robbery, which it wasn't, they should have showed a lot more class and held their toungues.

I remember how the Irish delegation let thmselves down in Beijing by slagging the judges and claiming robbery. It was bang out of order, and painted us as nothing but sore losers. Even if it was a robbery, which it wasn't, they should have showed a lot more class and held their toungues.

The biggest robbery I saw was the French boxer beaten in the semi in London, he died in a plane crash last year.

It's Councillor Kenneth now guys, please give him the respect he demands ;)

I agree they went a bit over the top after the Beijing fight. I think in the main you have to be careful in choosing the tight decisions you complain publicly about so when it comes to the genuinely incorrect calls, people understand you are not just crying wolf again. As is the case with Michael O'Reilly.

The biggest robbery I saw was the French boxer beaten in the semi in London, he died in a plane crash last year.

Vastine? Quality boxer. I think he lost in the 2008 final against JJJs conqueror. Maybe it was the semis.

Vastine? Quality boxer. I think he lost in the 2008 final against JJJs conqueror. Maybe it was the semis.

Think I remember him falling to the canvas after the decision, totally inconsolable. Was it even the first time he' been done?

It's Councillor Kenneth now guys, please give him the respect he demands ;)

I agree they went a bit over the top after the Beijing fight. I think in the main you have to be careful in choosing the tight decisions you complain publicly about so when it comes to the genuinely incorrect calls, people understand you are not just crying wolf again. As is the case with Michael O'Reilly.

I had O'Reilly winning that fight, but it was a compettitve fight. The opponent was likely getting scored for his come foward approach.

I can understand boxers being really annoyed and frustrated right after a loss, but they and their teams need to show respect and restraint. I have never liked that such public whingeing about robbery this and robbery that.

I am sure there are rules and guidelines about such public criticism being spouted about organisations and events and tournaments. Similar to rules in the soccer whereby a charge of bringing the game into disrepute applies.

Think I remember him falling to the canvas after the decision, totally inconsolable. Was it even the first time he' been done?

No. The French don't seem to get decisions.

• Advertisement

I could see the O'Reilly fight go either way, I could see how you could give rounds to either. Wasn't a blatant Robbery at all

Advertisement