Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy Walsh quits ** SEE MOD WARNING #643 BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

walshb wrote: »
    That's as much as anyone of us really have.

If there is ambiguity it's because the IABA haven't engaged with the media to give their side of the story.

So far we've had media interviews with Walsh, Treacy, Minister Ring, Barnes, O'Neill, Michael Carruth and others but not a peep from the IABA board.

If the media have it all wrong it's easily put right, just ring in to Pat Kenny or Sean O'Rourke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

hardCopy wrote: »
    If there is ambiguity it's because the IABA haven't engaged with the media to give their side of the story.

So far we've had media interviews with Walsh, Treacy, Minister Ring, Barnes, O'Neill, Michael Carruth and others but not a peep from the IABA board.

If the media have it all wrong it's easily put right, just ring in to Pat Kenny or Sean O'Rourke.

The IABA doesn't like media. I think history tells us that. If I'm not mistaken they don't even have a full-time press officer?

I wonder if Pat Ryan will have anything to say, think he would be friendly with Billy if I have a firm grasp of Irish boxing politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Maybe the IABA dont want to come out and give their side in explicit details. Maybe they have a very good reason for that. It may be a little too cutting. They gave a statement, and said that they tried to work through this.

BTW, HP is around 12-13 years now. It has been doing wonderfully well as regards producing talent and results. It is, and was working. Who rocked the boat here? If it's not about money, and we focus on autonomy and managemnet, what changed to cause Walsh to quit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Maybe the IABA dont want to come out and give their side in explicit details. Maybe they have a very good reason for that. It may be a little to cutting. They gave a statement, and said that they tried to work through this.

BTW, HP is around 12-13 years now. It has been doing wonderfully well as regards producing talent and results. It is, and was working. Who rocked the boat here? If it's not about money, and we focus on autonomy and managemnet, what changed to cause Walsh to quit?

Maybe it could be better.

And Billy is surely a part of it?

Or do you place no value in Billy's work???

If the IABA don't present their evidence we have to use the evidence available then

• Advertisement

Ok, so you have no real evidence (on this situation) to be so sure that Walsh is right and the IABA are wrong. Grand! Unless your past-current dealings have led you to this conclusion?

You like misrepresenting my position don't you???

efb wrote: »
    Maybe it could be better.

And Billy is surely a part of it?

Or do you place no value in Billy's work???

How does your brain work to think of these questions?

I have stated clearly that I believe that Walsh was important.

If the IABA don't present their evidence we have to use the evidence available then

Evidence available? What, exactly? I'm right and you're wrong. That's about all the evidence I have seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Maybe the IABA dont want to come out and give their side in explicit details. Maybe they have a very good reason for that. It may be a little to cutting.

Thas a lot of speculating on your behalf. I rather stick to whats out in the public domain.

K3v wrote: »
    Thas a lot of speculating on your behalf. I rather stick to whats out in the public domain.

And what is in the public domain is not at all convincing me that the IABA are the baddies here.

• Advertisement

All this stemmed from Billy's U.S. offer back in late 2014. It kicked off from there it seems. All going well and everyone seeming happy. Medaling and producing results. Then issues arose regarding finances and autonomy. Like I said, someone rocked a boat that seemed to be in calm waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭supermans ghost

Maybe the IABA dont want to come out and give their side in explicit details. Maybe they have a very good reason for that. It may be a little too cutting. They gave a statement, and said that they tried to work through this.

walshb, you are either a wind up merchant or a lackey of the IABA, either way you are a pathetic individual, are you sure you're not Fergal Carruth, hiding behind a computer, and then sending your brother to do your dirty work on national radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Evidence available? What, exactly? I'm right and you're wrong. That's about all the evidence I have seen so far.

We've had Walsh speak on the matter, John treacy speak on the matter, the minister for sport even the connacht branch president of the iaba. all speak on the matter. None of them claim the issue is Walsh.

How much more evidence do you need?

walshb, you are either a wind up merchant or a lackey of the IABA, either way you are a pathetic individual, are you sure you're not Fergal Carruth, hiding behind a computer, and then sending your brother to do your dirty work on national radio.

Relax there, Billy.

We're only having an adult and civil discussion. Nowhere on the thread title does it ban an opposing view or possible disagreement that that IABA are to blame.

If you calm down, and regroup, you may even enjoy the debate.

We've had Walsh speak on the matter, John treacy speak on the matter, the minister for sport even the connacht branch president of the iaba. all speak on the matter. None of them claim the issue is Walsh.

How much more evidence do you need?

Since when is any of that evidence of anything? This isn't a courtroom drama.

How does your brain work to think of these questions?

I have stated clearly that I believe that Walsh was important.

Why the personal attacks???

My brain works perfectly fine- even after 3 bouts of brain surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

And what is in the public domain is not at all convincing me that the IABA are the baddies here.

Yeah, John Treacy is not to be believed at all. That man has it in for the IABA. :pac: - Grabs tinfoil hat.

Relax there, Billy.

We're only having an adult and civil discussion. Nowhere on the thread title does it ban an opposing view or possible disagreement that that IABA are to blame.

Wind up merchant, enough said. enjoy your 15 minutes.

Relax there, Billy.

Adult and civil?

Your remarks in my direction were anything but!

Why the personal attacks???

My brain works perfectly fine- even after 3 bouts of brain surgery

It's not a personal attack. You asked a question with two ??. I think it is clear that we all value Billy's work. Not sure why you asked it with the two ??

The issue isn't how good Billy was in his head coach role.

As to perosnal attack. Go away out of that with the feigned offence. You were the one bringing up marriage referendums and surrogacy in one of your posts about me.

• Advertisement

Wind up merchant, enough said. enjoy your 15 minutes.

Nice 3rd post in 3 years........Keep it up.

It's not a personal attack. You asked a question with two ??. I think it is clear that we all value Billy's work. Not sure why you asked it with the two ??

The issue isn't how good Billy was in his head coach role.

As to perosnal attack. Go away out of that. You were the one bringing up marriage referendums and surrogacy in one of your posts about me.

You asked how my brain works- how is that not personal???

I was referring to your use of red herrings

As an r/j I'm used to petty comments but yours aren't exclusively aimed at me, boxers regularly get lambasted by you WalshB

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Here's a few things we can deduce about why Billy Walsh is gone.

1. There are long-standing grievances. Maybe partly about money, but mostly to do with team control. A protest against what is seen as unhelpful board interference into issues around the team including selection. An independent report into the London Olympics backs Walsh up on many of these key issues. The IABA board appears to do nothing to resolve them.

2. USA Boxing offers Walsh a deal and brings issues to a boil. Walsh uses the offer as leverage to get a better deal, as any smart guy would. Board refuses to budge. As Walsh threatens to go, mediator is brought in, Sports Council offers to fund Walsh's entire package and an impasse looks to be averted.

3. IABA delegation, without consulting its own board, agrees to accept package but with conditions, details of which aren't clear, but which apparently include a clause whereby Billy has to ask board permission to take a call from a journalist (you'd swear I was making that last bit up if you were coming fresh to the story!). Walsh cannot accept these conditions, saying they are an affront to his dignity and is left with no other options. The death by a thousand cuts is complete.

Nice 3rd post in 3 years........Keep it up.

Meh, I actually have a life.
    Tell me if this sounds like me hanging up on you. click

3. IABA delegation, without consulting its own board, agrees to accept package but with conditions, details of which aren't clear, but which apparently include a clause whereby Billy has to ask board permission to take a call from a journalist (you'd swear I was making that last bit up if you were coming fresh to the story!). Walsh cannot accept these conditions, saying they are an affront to his dignity and is left with no other options. The death by a thousand cuts is complete.

Well, if he can't accept the conditions of the IABA then he needed to leave. If they are the terms and he doesn't like them that's his problem. The IABA have a committee, that I assume is somewhat democratic. Their rules and regulations are set out and you have a choice to work with them or not. He chose not to. The IABA are then getting slated for his quitting.

Meh, I actually have a life.
    Tell me if this sounds like me hanging up on you. click

4th post. You're flying!

Well, if he can't accept the conditions of the IABA then he needed to leave. If they are the terms and he doesn't like them that's his problem. The IABA have a committee, that I assume is somewhat democratic. Their rules and regulations are set out and you have a choice to work with them or not. He chose not to. The IABA are then getting slated for his quitting.

If you allow your best people to leave people would look v unfavourably on you

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Just a thought here looking at this from the outside.

The Irish football team did away with squad selection by committee in the early 70's.

The Irish rugby team did away with it in the late 80's.

Does anyone know of any other sport in Ireland where squads are still picked by committee? I'm a little young to remember the football side of things but I certainly remember that the rugby selections committees were rife with politics and horse trading, to the detriment country as a whole as well as the incumbent coach.

That for me is a red line issue, no matter what else was on or off the table.

edit: really interested to see if anyone has any examples of current international squads picked by committe

• Advertisement

As an r/j I'm used to petty comments but yours aren't exclusively aimed at me, boxers regularly get lambasted by you WalshB

What is an r/j? If you want to get something off your chest regarding my posting to you then speak English to me. Spell it out.

Advertisement