Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering Old Bars and Clubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭flended12

Cocos Nightclub Tallaght, massive lidl there now and belgard pub (kip) long gone.

Peg woffingtons at bottom of kildare Street.

What was the nightclub on parnell St that took over after Stringfellows strip club closed down back in the day, think its a eurosaver shop now.

Itchyfeet in terenure

Parnell Mooneys, way back. Interesting night in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Ah the Palace was great fun, I had a birthday there around 1999/2000. I think they had dance music upstairs and 70s/80s downstairs or other way around. Used to go to Howl at the Moon with the work crowd most Fridays.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The Ambassador Hotel. Great spot. Shortened name for the disco was the Ambo.

I still have a concession for it in the front of my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andyd12

Got love it.

The Inn is still called the Ranch locally.

These the cards?

• Advertisement

Ah there she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Late 90s went (from Dublin) to a biker rally in Banna Beach resort in Kerry. A resort/bars/pool building with about 3 dozen holiday homes and a grassy area we (paid) to set up tents on.

There were 3 separate rooms/bars in the main buliding - rock/metal, darnce, and trad! The few older locals piling into no.3, the numerous younger ones into no.2 with it seemed much chemical assistance, and us lot in no.1 with strong cider and such like. There was little interaction between the 3 but what there was was all very friendly! Maybe they were scared of us 🤣

In 2012 I went back in a car with wife and two kids, very different vibe 😁 cost a feckin' fortune but no E'd up teenagers, saw a lot of past reminders though, interesting all the same.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Same here ,I was there at that time too! I was the only one into Fibbers music , but my mates were all baby faced , so after getting turned down for two or three other clubs , we'd end up in Fibbers (since they'd basically let anyone in) which suited me .

We went to some terrible clubs , usually as it was the only place we could get in .. Club Sarah in Rathfarnham (where if you had any kind of ID they'd let you in , even if it was obviously someone else's), Mungo Jerrys (beside the Harp , feckin awful place, like a wish.com version of Coppers but one of my friends would always score with some of the older ladies there , so he'd drag us in ) Fitzsimons off Temple Bar (where when we were slightly older , and could get in to proper clubs, one mate was always to pissed /dishevelled/"casual" to get in , except for Fitzers , as the head bouncer liked him , so we'd always be able to blag in ).There was a rough as guts bar (Kellys? I cant remember the name? ) around the corner from Fibbers that was full of Eeed up jungfellas ,and coked up arseholes , first time I ever saw someone bottled was on a dancefloor there , fella was so out of it he barely noticed , one of the floors played good SKa/Two tone though , so that was nice

Turns out Dublin was going through a "Berlin" phase of all these amazing clubs apparently , but I missed most of that as my friends just wanted to try and pull ,but there was the Pod/Kitchen and a few other decent places , also Velure in the Gaiety had a few dance floors and played cult movies , which was nice.

My parents local from about 1980 until 2010 , they pretty much knew everyone there .

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

My fav venues from back in the day:

The Funnel down on the quays

Mean Fiddler on Wexford St.

The Temple Bar Music Center (Before it was The Button Factory)

Was not a place I went more than once or twice but it was a well known land mark, The Tuning Fork in Rathfarnham. Sure isn't it a funeral home now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I was only occasionally there. Liked it.

It's now the pines or halfway house when I'm up home. Very decent spots(although the pines has notions).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Jaysus the Mean Fiddler there's a blast from the past. Anyone remember Cocoon just of Grafton street, was owned the Eddie Irvine at the time. Think its the Lemon and Duke now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The “rough bar”. Possibly McGraths/13th floor on O’Connell street. Was only in it the once. No carry on in there in fairness but it was genuinely the only time I’ve ever been in a pub/bar that I feared for my life. Didn’t help one of my mates (who since went on to be a star of gogglebox, though you might get him mixed up with his brother 😝) just sat on his chair and fell asleep 🤣. We stuck to the Back Gate after that

My mate lives beside the Tuner. Went there a good few times. Was a grand aul local.

Rumour has it that the Sub is in the process of renovating and will reopen soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Was in Lemon and Puke a few weeks ago for a pre dinner drink. Similar layout to when it was Cocoon but I do recall it was better before the change. They were always a bit stuck up their own arse on letting people in there though… that was a good laugh that thread. Had a drink with Chwis Eubanks in there one night around about 2000. He was good craic in fairness

Anyone mention McGruders yet? Went in there one paddy's weekend, think it was around 2pm on a Saturday. A day dance thing. Straight into a taxi after, to Laurent Garnier in the Harcourt area. Didn't get home till Tuesday I think.

1200 seated bar from Celtic Tiger Where walkinstown meets crumlin. Next to Ashleaf shopping centre. Great decor, full kitchen, stage for live music etc.

It never took off after renovations in early 2000s.

It's still there though. A quick Google search mentions there was talk of it turning into a gym etc.

Was in it once, no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There being a pub of that size on that site goes back to the 50s or maybe 40s, that's just the latest building for it

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I liked Cocoon, it was always a bit more chilled than other pubs and it was one of the only places where I never got refused. The amount of times I was refused from Coppers or Howl at the moon for being drunk, the funny thing was I was the one that doesn't drink, my mates would be let in 3 sheets to the wind but not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

No idea but if it couldn't survive during celtic tiger I'd day it will lie idle for a while or be repurposed.

Bar is deffo reopening. Pal of mine was in it last week having a nose with the builder. He thinks the big lounge is being done also. Something about being hit with a derelict property tax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Have read every page of this thread and a pub or bar I’ve had many a pint in has been mentioned in all of them, don’t know what that says about me lol. The mad thing is the mentions of Manhattan on the previous page… I was out with colleagues last night and we were talking about that place, no joke haha!

I’ll add a place to the list that I didn’t see mentioned, any one remember Lilys Bordello? Think it’s part of the Porterhouse now but awful s**t. Although it was s**t when it was Lilys too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ah here - the Berni Inn. They'd be spinning in their graves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

**Double Post** Sorry - Mod, please hide/delete this one. Thanks

Thanks fo the reply. It is the same bar, correct, but it had a different name before it was called The Exchequor. Anyone remember the name of what The Exchequer on Dame Court, Dublin 2 used to be called? Well, technically it's on Exchequer St. but we used to go in a side door from Dame Court.

Advertisement