Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Take a look at the charts thread
    didnt last for long though?
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Oh oh mine went on long enough in 2010, especially compared to 2013. All the days I recorded snow during both years here:

Jan - 22nd
    Feb - 23rd, 24th
    Mar - 11th, 12th, 19th, 20th, 26th, 27th

Jan - 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 28th, 29th
    Feb - 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 23rd, 24th
    Mar - 30th, 31st
    Nov - 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th
    Dec - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd
    Yeah 2010 was a once of in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Far to early to say it's going to be a damp mild winter or cold and snowy for that matter. Relax guys. Nothing worth talking about for the next 2 weeks at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yeah 2010 was a once of in my opinion

2010 didn't break any of the 1961-2011 snowfall records at Met Eireann stations in their Snowfall In Ireland report , let alone pre-1961 records. You should see the reports of snow events from 1947, 1933, 1917, 1909 etc. They were major events.
    It was very cold, but far from being a "one off" in terms of snowfall. It was just the most significant since the 80's, or in other worlds, within recent memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

2010 didn't break any of the 1961-2011 snowfall records at Met Eireann stations in their Snowfall In Ireland report , let alone pre-1961 records. You should see the reports of snow events from 1947, 1933, 1917, 1909 etc. They were major events.
    It was very cold, but far from being a "one off" in terms of snowfall. It was just the most significant since the 80's, or in other worlds, within recent memory.

Christmas Day broke certain records for snowfall though in places.

Christmas Day broke certain records for snowfall though in places.

I'm talking about snowfall depths at any time of year.

• Advertisement

I'm talking about snowfall depths at any time of year.

Yeah so am I?

Like Casement Aerodrome had I think its second highest snow depth on Christmas Day 2010 after the one in 1962 (was it?)

Yeah so am I?

Like Casement Aerodrome had I think its second highest snow depth on Christmas Day 2010 after the one in 1962 (was it?)

1962 was 45cm. 2010 was 27cm.

The point I was making is that 2010 was far from being a one off in terms of snowfall. I think the difference between 1962 and 2010 at Casement shows that quite well. :)

Casement also recorded 26cm in 1978.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The point I was making is that 2010 was far from being a one off in terms of snowfall. I think the difference between 1962 and 2010 at Casement shows that quite well. :)

How many met eireann stations report snow depths now though as compared to the past? Using just Casement as a national measure doesn't sit right with me.

Certainly though, I would not class 2010 as exceptional in terms of snowfall frequency or depth. December 2000 was the last 'big one' for me.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    How many met eireann stations report snow depths now though as compared to the past? Using just Casement as a national measure doesn't sit right with me.

Certainly though, I would not class 2010 as exceptional in terms of snowfall frequency or depth. December 2000 was the last 'big one' for me.

Around December 2000, I was very little and hardly remembered any snowfall - though a lot of rain. What part of Ireland are you situated in?

Ah yeah, I wouldn't use it as a national measure, just an example to show that the snowfall in 2010 was not exceptional in terms of depth.

Was 2000 a polar low? I do remember that being more of a Western event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

You sure,? Lots of charts pointing at cold wintry conditions around the period 14th of November cheers :confused:

Don't know what the models are pointing at but the next 7-10 days are looking wet mild and windy. Don't know what corner snow is around but its not around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Around December 2000, I was very little and hardly remembered any snowfall - though a lot of rain. What part of Ireland are you situated in?
    A two day event (maybe three?), snowfall followed by freezing fog and then it was all washed away by heavy rain on Dec 30th or 31st.
    The was a good snowfall later that winter on Feb 28th which lay for quite a few days despite strong sunshine, I remember recording temps as low as -8c for a few consecutive nights.

A two day event (maybe three?), snowfall followed by freezing fog and then it was all washed away by heavy rain on Dec 30th or 31st.
    The was a good snowfall later that winter on Feb 28th which lay for quite a few days despite strong sunshine, I remember recording temps as low as -8c for a few consecutive nights.

It was actually February 27th (2001) but yeah I remember this day very well especially compared to the December one :confused:.

Ah yeah, I wouldn't use it as a national measure, just an example to show that the snowfall in 2010 was not exceptional in terms of depth.

Was 2000 a polar low? I do remember that being more of a Western event.

I am not sure about that, but the flow itself I don't recall being that vigorous at that time.

Radar shot from the BBC on the day (Dec 27th) that snow event hit the west and north of Ireland. It was pretty slow moving but quite heavy and by the time that initial front cleared, there was 2/3rds of a foot of snow lying here locally. Real high quality stuff too :)

367607.PNG

What part of Ireland are you situated in?

Galway :)

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

63 surely? Not 62

1978 must have been march,it was the first serious snow I remember in Arklow at the start of the decade of snow

63 surely? Not 62

1978 must have been march,it was the first serious snow I remember in Arklow at the start of the decade of snow

No it was 1962.

63 surely? Not 62

I think the most significant snowfall of that winter occurred towards the end of Dec '62? Most of the snowfall thereafter fell quite intermittently.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Dec 2010 was the coldest month ever recorded, has the lowest max ever recorded and the coldest day ever recorded.

Going all the way back to 1880 or thereabouts.

In Dublin, in terms of snowfall it beat '82 because it contained two major accumulations and you'd need to go to February 1947 to beat that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Yep; we had about 18cm snow on 28th Feb 2001 and it was a week before it fully cleared - despite the relatively strong sun and clear skies - I had a low of -8C in that period; very rare up here - in fact -10C Christmas Morning 2010 is my joint record low matching a figure set in January 1982......at least till next New Year's Eve! :)

I think the most significant snowfall of that winter occurred towards the end of Dec '62? Most of the snowfall thereafter fell quite intermittently.

Indeed 63 was bitterly cold but not as snowy as it was in the UK. The heaviest fall was recorded in Dec 62.

• Advertisement

Dec 2010 was the coldest month ever recorded, has the lowest max ever recorded and the coldest day ever recorded.

Going all the way back to 1880 or thereabouts.

In Dublin, in terms of snowfall it beat '82 because it contained two major accumulations and you'd need to go to February 1947 to beat that.

I know about the temperature records. Just talking about snowfall records at Met Eireann stations. 27cm of lying snow at Casement was the highest of the winter. In 1962 in was 40+cm.

Anyway. The point was that 2010/2011 was not a "one off" in terms if snowfall. 62, 47, 33, 17 etc. and God knows how many 19th century winters all had bigger snowfall events.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

December 27th 2000 we had very heavy snow for the day from 1pm onwards in Castlebar.

There was more than there was in 2010 when it was icy as well as snowy here.

On December 28th we had to drive to Shannon Airport because I lived in Spain at the time. All the way to Claregalway the road was covered in snow, however in Tuam there was over a foot of snow. The car kept getting stuck and there was workmen shovelling it to the side of the road.

We just made it to the plane where there was no tea or coffee because the water froze.

Id say from the drive the depths were

Castlebar 6 inches
    Claremorris 8 inches
    Tuam 12 inches
    Claregalway 4 inches
    Green after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It looks like it was definitely a stalled front so.
    Do you remember was Oranmore fully green or did it get an inch or so of snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

December 2000 also saw a decent covering in Dublin, however it was nothing compared to what areas in Sligo, Mayo and the West/North West in general saw. I think it was a band of organized showers that managed to bring the snow to Dublin - quite rare to get more than 2 inches from the Atlantic on the East Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

pauldry wrote: »
    December 27th 2000 we had very heavy snow for the day from 1pm onwards in Castlebar.

There was more than there was in 2010 when it was icy as well as snowy here.

On December 28th we had to drive to Shannon Airport because I lived in Spain at the time. All the way to Claregalway the road was covered in snow, however in Tuam there was over a foot of snow. The car kept getting stuck and there was workmen shovelling it to the side of the road.

We just made it to the plane where there was no tea or coffee because the water froze.

Id say from the drive the depths were

Castlebar 6 inches
    Claremorris 8 inches
    Tuam 12 inches
    Claregalway 4 inches
    Green after that

Pretty sure we got an inch or two down here that year too so I think the Clare snowshield was to blame on your drive down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

2010 was certainly very cold in Oughterard but we got very little snow. It was all ice. The lake was amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

That frost was a right hoar that winter,it started around the end of November and stayed until around the first week in January.

I have amazing photos of it,the Burren was like the artic.
    I hiked for 3 miles to get a photo of a snow covered Dolmen.

You wouldn't know the difference between roads and tracks.

I wonder if we'll ever see that again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

It looks like it was definitely a stalled front so.
    Do you remember was Oranmore fully green or did it get an inch or so of snow?

There was bits and pieces of snow left in the fields there but after Tuam the road was clear

pauldry wrote: »
    There was bits and pieces of snow left in the fields there but after Tuam the road was clear

That first fall of snow on the 27th was only the beginning of the story though. Snow continued to fall from frequent showers after you left for Spain. Much of the country was covered by the 30th but the highest depths remained over Connacht and parts of Ulster.

367693.png

I recall that there was much traffic issues on N17 between Tuam & Galway City as a result.

We had a lot of snow here too in Dec 2010 but this spell lacked a certain 'panache' that came with the wintry spell in Dec 2000, and although this 2000 spell only lasted 3 or 4 days, it was almost as equally intense in terms of low minina. I read somewhere a low of -16.0c was estimated in the Ballinrobe of Co. Mayo during this spell.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Papers saying snow "just around corner" can someone back me up, what are the models saying in the next few weeks
    Needless to say the exact opposite is happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement