Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Just a word of caution on 123. I've no direct experience of making a claim with them but a more than a few people have mentioned to me down through the years that they have and that they were horrendous to deal with at that stage. A lot of people do put a high value on that after sale service so as to speak.

Also they will lace on the administration charges heavy enough if you need to make any change to your policy at any stage but it would be unfair to say they are exempt among those big call centre/ online intermediaries in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Just a word of caution on 123. I've no direct experience of making a claim with them but a more than a few people have mentioned to me down through the years that they have and that they were horrendous to deal with at that stage. A lot of people do put a high value on that after sale service so as to speak.

Also they will lace on the administration charges heavy enough if you need to make any change to your policy at any stage but it would be unfair to say they are exempt among those big call centre/ online intermediaries in that regard.

I made a claim with 123 in 2017 and there wasn't any hassle, the renewal 7 months later was saucy alright. Left them in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I made a claim with 123 in 2017 and there wasn't any hassle, the renewal 7 months later was saucy alright. Left them in 2019.
    Fair enough and good to hear. Just mentioning what quite a few other people mentioned to me down through the years and no direct experience of making a claim through them myself. I would imagine given their size they would have quite a few Claims Assistants and possibly a relatively high turnover of staff. You may have being lucky in that you got a good Claims Assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

710 Fully Comp for a 1.6 Renault Fleunce 141 with AXA
    Male - 39
    Full Licence of 12 Years
    Full NCB
    Points - none
    Driving 15 years

Original quote sent out of 1150 from Allianz

All through Munster Group

Fair enough and good to hear. Just mentioning what quite a few other people mentioned to me down through the years and no direct experience of making a claim through them myself. I would imagine given their size they would have quite a few Claims Assistants and possibly a relatively high turnover of staff. You may have being lucky in that you got a good Claims Assistant.

Now, in saying that, it was for damage to my car it wasn't for a crash, third party etc just a straightforward payout to a garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Its anything but the value or model of your car in the main that is driving the premiums either and I am not in any shape or form trying to justify the high premiums either when I'm saying that.
    Allianz direct were notably the best for me, so may be worth a go (nothing saying they will for sure come in the best for you either). They did give me a notable discount for adding in my Partner too. Just mentioning them as I did not see them on your list

Thanks, I am aware that the premium has little to do with the model of the car, I was just frustrated with having to fork out €600+ during these peculiar times.

In good news though, my hard work and "ranting crack" has paid off. I checked with Allianz direct as you recommended and have opted to go with them for €450 with full bonus protection :D
    That's €75 cheaper than last year, thanks for the recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sooty1

2011 VW Passat TDI Bluemotion 1598 cc
    28 years driving
    Claims : Zero
    22 year old daughter on policy (she has full licence nearly 4 years and own car and own ncb)
    E1129.07 renewal with AXA but have got a price of E805 with AIB so guess i will be changing.

Thanks, I am aware that the premium has little to do with the model of the car, I was just frustrated with having to fork out €600+ during these peculiar times.

In good news though, my hard work and "ranting crack" has paid off. I checked with Allianz direct as you recommended and have opted to go with them for €450 with full bonus protection :D
    That's €75 cheaper than last year, thanks for the recommendation!

Nice reduction but it's still crazy money for an i20, mine was 3 euro less on a 191 2 litre diesel and I'm a year short of full NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Nice reduction but it's still crazy money for an i20, mine was 3 euro less on a 191 2 litre diesel and I'm a year short of full NCB.

I'm in Dublin 15, maybe that has something to do with it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2014 Leaf
    333 fully comp renewal with Allianz.

That's now both cars with them, they appear competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Wifes Renewal
    full Licence 25 yrs
    No points, convictions etc
    7 yrs NCB
    Prius 2012

currently with AA
    last year paid €507 (through Aviva)
    best offer this year
    €506 (through Allianz)
    • Step Back protection
    • with me (48 yr old) as named driver
    • fully comp

Renewal with itsforwomen through One Big Switch web offer

€344
    • Full NCB protection
    • with me (48 yr old) as named driver
    • fully comp
    • breakdown cover with home start
    • €0 vol. excess

Massive difference with better cover and full NCB
    am I missing something - why is it so much cheaper?

Will be calling AA on Tues to see if they can match it but I doubt it

So went back to AA
    They offered €408 as we both had AA Roadside assist accounts with them
    However we haggled and got them down to €390

Have gone with them as the cover was better in terms of excess and a few other things like lost keys, windscreen cover etc.
    ItsForWomen had an excess of €300 also and their roadside assist was a bit restrictive

Also cancelled one of our AA Roadside assist package thus saving €140 on that

Happy to get €120 off the original quote and happy to stay with AA for another year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »
    Renewed now - Liberty quote me €550 for another year.
    So it actually went down!
    biko wrote: »
    Renewal time again
    Went with Liberty again, €562
    On par or cheaper than others I looked at, around 6 companies or so from the sticky list
    Liberty again, €496 euros with a promo code (before that was €523)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Anyone know if it is worth getting the Prestige insurance from BOI rather than Popular (425 vs 388)? Main difference seems to be Personal Protection Injury Benefit– €6,500 do I need that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

26 year old Male
    Driving 8 years full clean licence
    5 years no claims bonus
    2020 Ford Fiesta ST Line
    1 litre petrol

Renewal with 123.ie this year €499 (3rd party) €740 (fully comp)

Zurich €467 (fully comp) I went with Zurich in the end at an absolute bargain for that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭baldbear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

26 year old male
    Driving 5 years
    4 years no claim bonus (had accident in my first year)
    08 Toyota Auris 1.4pet

Cost Last year 790 (Third party fire & theft)
    Renewal 890 (1010) but managed to get it dropped to 890, looked around abit but either was getting no quotes or quotes way over since my claim is still "within 5 years" catagory.

Will take the 100 rise but next year will most likely be switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    26 year old male
    Driving 5 years
    4 years no claim bonus (had accident in my first year)
    08 Toyota Auris 1.4pet

Cost Last year 790 (Third party fire & theft)
    Renewal 890 (1010) but managed to get it dropped to 890, looked around abit but either was getting no quotes or quotes way over since my claim is still "within 5 years" catagory.

Will take the 100 rise but next year will most likely be switching.

Why would you take the rise? That’s ridiculous. Just get the laptop out and get as much quotes as you can. That’s what I done and it was worth it.

Why would you take the rise? That’s ridiculous. Just get the laptop out and get as much quotes as you can. That’s what I done and it was worth it.

Exactly, I'm in the same category, 1 year left on a claim and got a substantial saving by shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bop1977

41 year old male. Full license, no points.
    2l 190hp Skoda superb estate auto
    An post renewal €814
    An post website new customer €614
    AIG €560 at the start of the month
    AIG yesterday €498 (this included an extra 20% discount promotion AIG are running.)
    All quotes are full comp.
    I went with AIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

ive tried a few more places, and seems as if every quote i get is either way over, very close to the one i have now but still more money or they dont quote me at all.

I can only assume its related to covid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Found AIB massively competitive this time round.

Saved nearly 200. (Did get discounts as have house insurance with them)

Audi A6 190
    Fully Comp
    Driving of other cars fully comp
    5 yrs NCD
    Partner added fully comp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭baldbear

With itsforwomen (AIG)

Skoda Octavia 1.2tsi
    Fully Comp,NCB protected. Excess €300
    10 yrs NCD
    Partner added fully comp 10 years experience
    €446
    ####

Went with 25plus.ie same as above for €364. Checked last week and it was €404 . €40 off today so just snapped it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

41, clean record, ‘13 Kia ceed 126bhp - €302 lifetime protect ncb, motor rescue with all optional extras.. prior life was ins staff but job is no more

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

cplwhisper wrote: »
    41, clean record, ‘13 Kia ceed 126bhp - €302 lifetime protect ncb, motor rescue with all optional extras.. prior life was ins staff but job is no more

Who?

fAzI wrote: »
    Who?

Axa, but like I says ‘ex-staff’ but next renewal will no doubt be ‘joe blogs rate 😞’

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

cplwhisper wrote: »

Great price,
    Sorry about your job, hopefully you will get another soonish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

'lifetime protect ncb' what's this?

Axa awarded it to customers who done a 10yr period completely claim free under the same car policy to change the file that be it you had 2/3/4 claims For both 3rd party or Own Damage(comp) per year that the 75% ncb was never reduced.
    Didn’t apply to commercial/vintage policies as they are a different risk profile

This was a loyalty perk to those that didn’t jump to other companies yr on yr and it’s best perk if seen any insurer offer. Customers used to says its a scam but I’ve seen cases of customer that could’ve been 20yrs claim free and then just went through a rut of bad luck but the LPNCB saved their day.
    Yes they have to declare the claims if shipping around but that’s normal disclosure terms.
    PCeeeee wrote: »
    'lifetime protect ncb' what's this?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

38 Male
    2015 1.5 Dacia Duster
    15 years NCB

Got my renewal from 123.ie. €580. Was €540 last year. Got onto 25plus.ie and got it down to €380. Delighted to save €200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

PCeeeee wrote: »
    16 Fiesta ST valued at 15k
    Full clean 20 yard old license.
    Full no claims.
    Comprehensive.

€564

I meant to update this.

€488 in the end after some looking. And happily it seems I'm actually 42.

Advertisement