Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

florawest wrote: »
    Mid 50's F
    Vw polo 09 diesel
    Full licence 30 years
    24 year son 4.5 years full licence
    Open driven, fully comp, protected no claim bonus, rescue package, replacement key.

3rd year now with Axa ( having son named) as previous insurer An Post ( possibly 18 years with them) became far too expensive.

€630

Going with them again also have additional multi policy with them.

Ring them before renewing! They are fairly good at "taking a look and seeiing what they can do".

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Is there any companies giving 15% discount considering cars traffic has been off the road for close to a month now. There is a lot less accidents and fatalities , its time for the insurance companies to pay it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

It still astounds me of the spread I get in quotes each year

12 years NCB
    Full licence 11 years

Saab 9.3 2.0T Aero

@axa €1,150
    123.ie via RSA €540.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Ring them before renewing! They are fairly good at "taking a look and seeiing what they can do".

Hi ya,

I did as it originally came in at €860 so not too bad at €630, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

florawest wrote: »
    Mid 50's F
    Vw polo 09 diesel
    Full licence 30 years
    24 year son 4.5 years full licence
    Open driven, fully comp, protected no claim bonus, rescue package, replacement key.

3rd year now with Axa ( having son named) as previous insurer An Post ( possibly 18 years with them) became far too expensive.

€630

Going with them again also have additional multi policy with them.

Do you really need open driving, if your son is named on the policy? You're paying for that and narrowing the amount of alternative quotes you can get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Do you really need open driving, if your son is named on the policy? You're paying for that and narrowing the amount of alternative quotes you can get

Thanks,
    but open driven is less than €30 and is handy when my daughter comes on holidays from Scotland, some quotes I got were well up in the €900's so €630 is a great improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Most people are mistaken when it comes to open driving policy. It's driving other cars I guess that comes free of charge.

Driving other cars is free with most if not all policies if over 25 with full license

Open driving is optional, Axa does offer it on most policies, other insurers not so unless asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

28 Years of age
    1.6 2008 petrol mondeo
    Full licence 10 years
    6 years NCB
    Open driven, third paryt,rescue package, replacement key.
    insurer: AXA
    Renewal: 1350

Up by nearly 300 euro, time to move companies I think. The reason was the high number of claims in the last year. Maybe the year of the car doesn't help?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

14 year old Peugeot 407 1.6 diesel in great condition.Full licence for 45 years.No convictions.
    I was with Aviva for 6 years,having left FBD.Aviva 600 euro Comprehensive with no claims discount for this year.Went back to FBD same cover for 470 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Recently renewed but interested for next year, which insurance companies offer driving of other cars with no engine size limit? I know aviva offer it but they weren’t close to competitive for my renewal (€1500 vs €820 with RSA).

I’m limited to driving other cars under 2L which seems to be the industry limit.

• Advertisement

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Recently renewed but interested for next year, which insurance companies offer driving of other cars with no engine size limit? I know aviva offer it but they weren’t close to competitive for my renewal (€1500 vs €820 with RSA).

I’m limited to driving other cars under 2L which seems to be the industry limit.

Driving of other cars was designed to be an emergency or very infrequent facility given to policyholders. It has evolved in to a situation where people have being manipulating it to suit circumstances well beyond this. As a result, insurers have being introducing restrictions and I can see it being withdrawn eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Classic policy on my Skyline rose because the agreed value went from 10k to 12k...it rose by €4 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Wifes Renewal
    full Licence 25 yrs
    No points, convictions etc
    7 yrs NCB
    Prius 2012

currently with AA
    last year paid €507 (through Aviva)
    best offer this year
    €506 (through Allianz)
    • Step Back protection
    • with me (48 yr old) as named driver
    • fully comp

Renewal with itsforwomen through One Big Switch web offer

€344
    • Full NCB protection
    • fully comp
    • breakdown cover with home start
    • €0 vol. excess

Massive difference with better cover and full NCB
    am I missing something - why is it so much cheaper?

Will be calling AA on Tues to see if they can match it but I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Wifes Renewal
    full Licence 25 yrs
    7 yrs NCB
    Prius 2012

currently with AA
    last year paid €507 (through Aviva)
    best offer this year
    €506 (through Allianz)
    • Step Back protection
    • fully comp

Renewal with itsforwomen through One Big Switch web offer

€344
    • Full NCB protection
    • fully comp
    • breakdown cover with home start
    • €0 vol. excess

Massive difference with better cover and full NCB
    am I missing something - why is it so much cheaper?

Will be calling AA on Tues to see if they can match it but I doubt it
    Something similar has happened to me.
    191 Superb 2.0 litre diesel.
    5 years no claims (lost 30% in 2017) will have full ncb next year.
    Renewal €578
    Got it for €447 from its4women through big switch (I'm 55 and definitely male!).
    Old company? 25plus, they're the same company:eek: They use the exact same envelopes:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

carzony wrote: »
    28 Years of age
    1.6 2008 petrol mondeo
    Full licence 10 years
    6 years NCB
    Open drive, third party, rescue package
    insurer: AXA
    Renewal: 1350

Up by nearly 300 euro, time to move companies I think. The reason was the high number of claims in the last year. Maybe the year of the car doesn't help?

After a few calls I got this quote down to 700 :) cheapest quote I ever got through the First Ireland broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

septicsac wrote: »
    Wifes Renewal
    full Licence
    Full 10 yrs NCB
    Hyundali ix35 1.7D
    Renewal with itsforwomen - 460 underwritten by AIG
    Nothing cheaper except direct with AIG 359, with everything on it, NCB protected, breakdown etc.
    Probably not worth looking elsewhere, but did quote with Liberty, as seem to be good for some - 850E always dear for us?

Nothing cheaper than AIG at 359 fully comp, NCB protected, breakdown etc, AIG have been very good for us this yr, far xheaper than anyone else for my insurance as well and also for the house insurance too.

septicsac wrote: »
    Nothing cheaper than AIG at 359 fully comp, NCB protected, breakdown etc, AIG have been very good for us this yr, far xheaper than anyone else for my insurance as well and also for the house insurance too.
    I was delighted with them too. I should be back in the 300's next year when I get my third year back. Think I'll go for full claims protection in future;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Also switched to AIG this year.
    Got a refund switching from ST diesel to GTI!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Here we go again!
    From a low of €322 in 2014 it has increased each year, up to €525 last year, with no changes in my status.

2012 Hyundai i20
    Fully Comprehensive and NCB Full Protection
    F
    Full Licence 15 years with full NCB
    Dublin
    Spouse as a named driver (full licence)

Renewal An Post: €704
    Chill: €539 (only step back protection)
    Liberty:€560
    123.ie:€616
    Axa: €1,025
    AA: €711
    Super Value €920
    AIG: €638
    123.ie €616
    It's for women: €650

I refuse to give up until I get a quote similar to last year!

Here we go again!
    From a low of €322 in 2014 it has increased each year, up to €525 last year, with no changes in my status.

2012 Hyundai i20
    Fully Comprehensive and NCB Full Protection
    F
    Full Licence 15 years with full NCB
    Dublin
    Spouse as a named driver (full licence)

Renewal An Post: €704
    Chill: €539 (only step back protection)
    Liberty:€560
    123.ie:€616
    Axa: €1,025
    AA: €711
    Super Value €920
    AIG: €638
    123.ie €616
    It's for women: €650

I refuse to give up until I get a quote similar to last year!

Is the 616 with full protection? That renewal of almost 200 over last year is dreadful, as for AXA, where are they going?? Will these cowboys ever be properly regulated? This crack has been going on forever at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Is the 616 with full protection? That renewal of almost 200 over last year is dreadful, as for AXA, where are they going?? Will these cowboys ever be properly regulated? This crack has been going on forever at this stage.

Yes, they all include full bonus protection. Chill came back to me with €600 including full bonus protection. I understand car insurance is expensive but customers with full NCB still get shafted :rolleyes: My car is hardly a ferrari either.

I'm noticing over the years the representatives have very little room to manoeuvre with prices whereas 10-15 years ago you could always negotiate with them.

That's €200 over 6 years.....

This ranting crack has been going on forever at this stage

That's €200 over 6 years.....

This ranting crack has been going on forever at this stage

Eh no Einstein it went from 525 last year to a renewal price of 704 this year, 179 to be precise. In 6 years 2014 to 2020 it went from 322 to 704, 382 to be precise for an i20 with no claims. Too fcukin right I’d be having a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

38 year old driving 2015 Octavia 2.0, no claims or points.
    Full NCD protection, reduced excess, personal effects and personal accident, driving other cars, Comprehensive cover.
    €600 with Allianz.
    FBD, Itsforwomen next closest for comparable cover at around €670. Most around €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I understand car insurance is expensive but customers with full NCB still get shafted :rolleyes: My car is hardly a ferrari either.
    Its anything but the value or model of your car in the main that is driving the premiums either and I am not in any shape or form trying to justify the high premiums either when I'm saying that.
    Allianz direct were notably the best for me, so may be worth a go (nothing saying they will for sure come in the best for you either). They did give me a notable discount for adding in my Partner too. Just mentioning them as I did not see them on your list

Its anything but the value or model of your car in the main that is driving the premiums either and I am not in any shape or form trying to justify the high premiums either when I'm saying that.
    Allianz direct were notably the best for me, so may be worth a go (nothing saying they will for sure come in the best for you either). They did give me a notable discount for adding in my Partner too. Just mentioning them as I did not see them on your list

Spouse is on it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Caught by a GoSafe van last week :( That’s 6 points now until Jan 2021. Renewal will be painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Spouse is on it already.
    Yeah, I see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

2002 Porsche 911 3.6 Carrera 4
    Years driving: 24
    Any claims: nope
    Price and provider: 830 full comp with RSA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

2002 Porsche 911 3.6 Carrera 4
    Years driving: 24
    Any claims: nope
    Price and provider: 830 full comp with RSA

Fair price and nice daily driver I must say...

RSA/123 have been very good to many posters lately. Hopefully they will continue, because some quotes from other insurers I got this year were hilarious.

Seems like this crowd is OK with older cars as long as the drivers have good driving record.

Advertisement