Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

yer man! wrote: »
    Used mine all over the country. They don't use chip and pin there or contactless so everything is swiped. This can cause an issue with the card sometimes as the store assistant can be a bit too fast with the swipe and the transaction will fail. Bizarrely if you say "Yukkuri" they will swipe slowly and the transaction usually goes through.

Now there are occasions when the car would just not work at all, so I had to use my AIB credit card for these times, but 90% of the time the revolut card will work.

To add to that, my recent experience in Japan is that while Revolut worked 100% of the time for me when places actually accepted cards, Visa / Mastercard are not ubiquitous there. They have their own mobile payment methods that seem to be more common than cards. Any major chain or popular restaurant or whatever will be fine, but it wasn't unusual in smaller shops for them to just not take cards, so you will need cash.

The good news is that Revolut works just fine in ATMs - you can find them in corner shops (7/11 or Lawson are the most common) pretty easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I had a new one there at the end of last week. I do work for a guy in the UK and he pays directly to my revolut UK local account. In April I got a notification that Revolut were issuing new UK account numbers and that the existing ones would stop working around the first week in May. I got my new details and passed them on to my client, he paid me last Thursday but he got an email off his bank to say the transfer was rejected. Revolut said it must be his bank but I've had the same amount come from him without issue each month for the last year, the only change here is the new account number and client has triple checked the details I sent him with the screenshots from the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I had a new one there at the end of last week. I do work for a guy in the UK and he pays directly to my revolut UK local account. In April I got a notification that Revolut were issuing new UK account numbers and that the existing ones would stop working around the first week in May. I got my new details and passed them on to my client, he paid me last Thursday but he got an email off his bank to say the transfer was rejected. Revolut said it must be his bank but I've had the same amount come from him without issue each month for the last year, the only change here is the new account number and client has triple checked the details I sent him with the screenshots from the app.

I have successfully used my new account number to transfer funds from a UK bank on 3 occasions since it was issued. Are you certain that the new account number was used. Transfers to the new number are very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Gooser14 wrote: »
    I have successfully used my new account number to transfer funds from a UK bank on 3 occasions since it was issued. Are you certain that the new account number was used. Transfers to the new number are very quick.

Yeah I've asked him to double check the details he entered, it definitely wasn't the previous account he was using. Previous one usually went on in 2-3 hours.

My 'local' account details have changed but the BIC and IBAN are the same as before and the same as my euro account. Should I have a different one for the new account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Gooser14

My 'local' account details have changed but the BIC and IBAN are the same as before and the same as my euro account. Should I have a different one for the new account?

My sterling local account number & sort code changed. The SWIFT IBAN & BIC did not change & are the same for my Sterling & Euro accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Do refunds to the card work the same as with any other card? Waiting on a refund for something I paid for with my Revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bromley52

Do refunds to the card work the same as with any other card? Waiting on a refund for something I paid for with my Revolut card.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Just back from Canada and saved a fortune with the card. You can tap in most places up to $100.
    Only came across one place that was cash only, a quaint little bakery.
    Only thing that was weird was that my balance (MasterCard) seemed to update instantaneously, whereas my OH's (Visa) took much longer and he had a transaction declined because he had less money than he thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Depends on the transactions. If it's for payments like in stores the balance is usually deducted immediately, but for example if it's payment in bars, restaurants and the likes the premises often won't complete the transaction until they go through the receipts later to see if they need to add on any tips. They'll first reserve the bill amount, and amend it at a later date prior to completion if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Used my Revolut in the Philippines recently. What a dream! No changing over any money, and the free 200euro ATM withdrawal got me by for the places that didn't accept card.

Where in the Philippines were you where you got away with barely using cash? Once you leave their cities, an ATM is a rare sight and anywhere that accepts cards basically doesn't exist outside of the cities

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Do other people have the same problems signing up and transferring funds?

Signed up last night and the system specifically asked me for my driving licence for id. So I follow the app and photo it and each time is says its not clear enough. Send it about 6 times. Try again this morning still won't work. So after a 10 minute wait get someone online chat who takes 20 minutes before they get back to tell me that they don't accept a driving licence for id? I've tried a few times to transfer funds just the €10 to get you started but two cards failed so I wondering if I'll bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just discovered my CC is expired before I travel and need to rent a car. Is Revelot any use for this? I mean where I need to put a €2,000 hold on my card at the car hire desk, not the actual cost of the hire itself.

If not anyone know how can you hire a car without a CC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just discovered my CC is expired before I travel and need to rent a car. Is Revelot any use for this? I mean where I need to put a €2,000 hold on my card at the car hire desk, not the actual cost of the hire itself.

You can use any card for a hold. People just tend to use credit cards because a hold on a debit card can really shaft your holiday.

I had to use a debit card for a car rental on Saturday and I haven't been refunded the hold yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

From what I've read, Revolut won't be accepted for car hire. I got myself a Curve card for this purpose as according to this link, it is. I've linked Revolut to the Curve card but haven't tried it out for car hire yet and will have a credit card just in case the first time I do. Having the Curve card also means you can withdraw €400 a month without exchange fees from foreign ATMs (€200 Revolut and €200 from Revolut account using Curve) As far as I remember, regular debit cards are fine for car hire. Pretty sure I used one last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Some will accept but the issue is the price then shoots up.

So you think your cost to hire would be say €150 but without a credit card it may be €300 or more as they make you purchase a different insurance etc....

Some will accept but the issue is the price then shoots up.

So you think your cost to hire would be say €150 but without a credit card it may be €300 or more as they make you purchase a different insurance etc....

yeah it seems not all car hire companies will take debit cards and I dont want to be left stuck. Its hard to find out online so I'll just ring them instead. Will check out the Curve card too.

edit- just checked out Curve and seems it would do the trick for me as it acts like a credit card even though it is a debit. But the site says there is a waiting list for the physical card- anyone got an idea of how long it might be? I would need this or some other card within two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

edit- just checked out Curve and seems it would do the trick for me as it acts like a credit card even though it is a debit. But the site says there is a waiting list for the physical card- anyone got an idea of how long it might be? I would need this or some other card within two weeks.

Order it anyhow. When I signed up, they were pretty quick to get it shipped. Just under 2 weeks.

Just make sure to have a backup plan.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Shouldn't be a waiting list. Me and the Mrs both signed up recently and weren't waiting more than two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

yeah it seems not all car hire companies will take debit cards and I dont want to be left stuck. Its hard to find out online so I'll just ring them instead. Will check out the Curve card too.

Curve will still act like a debit card, in that you need to have the money for the hold in the account of the card you link curve to.

Edit: never mind, I just read that link. That's very interesting. There's a reason for keeping my Curve card.

What's the phone insurance like with revolut?

• Advertisement

Got a new BOI card and now you have to enter the cvv and use 3DS when topping up (apparently it’s Revolut doing it not BOI). It’s a pain in the hole, loved that you could top up in seconds even if at the till and realizing you are short money in Revolut, now you have to wait for a text with the one time pass word which after 3 resends still won’t come so I can’t top up.

Very annoying that they didn’t just leave it as is for one touch top ups with all details saved and no 3DS.

jakdublin wrote: »
    Shouldn't be a waiting list. Me and the Mrs both signed up recently and weren't waiting more than two weeks.

thanks for that, ordered last night and hoping it shows up within two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I had to do that with my KBC card, it stopped asking me after the first few top ups

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Most car hire insist on credit cards for excess pre-authorisation. (Perhaps Curve will work)

However, I have successfully paid for car hire using Revolut using the following method.
    1) Reserve using regular credit card (choosing NOT to pre-pay)
    2) When dropping back the car, ask to pay final bill with different card ie Revolut. Takes a bit of time when returning the car but it can be worth it.

Worked with Hertz in the US for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Got a new BOI card and now you have to enter the cvv and use 3DS when topping up (apparently it’s Revolut doing it not BOI). It’s a pain in the hole, loved that you could top up in seconds even if at the till and realizing you are short money in Revolut, now you have to wait for a text with the one time pass word which after 3 resends still won’t come so I can’t top up.

Very annoying that they didn’t just leave it as is for one touch top ups with all details saved and no 3DS.

Had that recently too (new BOI debit card) and it stops asking after a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Had that recently too (new BOI debit card) and it stops asking after a couple of weeks.

Yes, same here and it stopped after a few weeks. I did check with Revolut support and it's a common thing for new/updated cards.

jakdublin wrote: »

can I ask that when you signed up for it on the app did you ever get any kind of confirmation screen saying that they are sending you a card out? I just filled out all details, address, etc and clicked confirm but the app never really made crystal clear that they are posting one out, it just went onto the next screen which has me a bit worried. Have tried to add a debit card too but am currently waiting on the verification code to show up on my bank statement before I can enter it into Curve to validate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

msmx5 wrote: »
    Most car hire insist on credit cards for excess pre-authorisation. (Perhaps Curve will work)

However, I have successfully paid for car hire using Revolut using the following method.
    1) Reserve using regular credit card (choosing NOT to pre-pay)
    2) When dropping back the car, ask to pay final bill with different card ie Revolut. Takes a bit of time when returning the car but it can be worth it.

Worked with Hertz in the US for me.

You can make the final payment any way you like as long as they have pre authorised a credit card when you take the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

can I ask that when you signed up for it on the app did you ever get any kind of confirmation screen saying that they are sending you a card out? I just filled out all details, address, etc and clicked confirm but the app never really made crystal clear that they are posting one out, it just went onto the next screen which has me a bit worried. Have tried to add a debit card too but am currently waiting on the verification code to show up on my bank statement before I can enter it into Curve to validate it.

I signed up last week and got a verification code for both my phone and card and got a reply that card would be issued beteen 7 and 10 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Is this for Revolut card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement