Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I suspect he was having a little laugh. Relax.

Thought that was fairly evident but yeah I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

This is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

long_b wrote: »
    This is fine

Good to know not to leave large sums of cash on it. TBH, I've saved a fortune with it already so if I lost a couple of hundred euro I'd still be ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

stimpson wrote: »
    This is fine

Good to know not to leave large sums of cash on it. TBH, I've saved a fortune with it already so if I lost a couple of hundred euro I'd still be ahead.
    This is fine

Seems a small bit disingenuous if they are advocating people get their salaries paid to their Revolut accounts however...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

New to this as I was reading on the Get cheap Netflix thread and a lot were using their Revolut card to do the monthly payments, so I have my virtual card setup and have added it to my Netflix Mexico account via iPhone and vpn and everything is fine, just wondering is it worth getting the physical card? Would it be liable to the annual ripoff tax by the government €30 per annum or is it excluded? Thanks

• Advertisement

New to this as I was reading on the Get cheap Netflix thread and a lot were using their Revolut card to do the monthly payments, so I have my virtual card setup and have added it to my Netflix Mexico account via iPhone and vpn and everything is fine, just wondering is it worth getting the physical card? Would it be liable to the annual ripoff tax by the government €30 per annum or is it excluded? Thanks

There's a good chance the card is still free as there was an offer on recently so I'd advise you to try to get one pronto before the freebies expire.

Can't remember the story with the levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

It's excluded, have it over a year and no charge but there will be a once off charge of 6 euro to get the physical card now.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Sorry for the (maybe silly) question but have just completed my first purchase with Revolut and can't seem to make the numbers add up. I bought something on ebay.co.uk and added my new Revolut Card to my account.
    The amount was £129.95 and the exchange rate being given on the Revolut App screen was £0.8925 (which is the same on www.xe.com). This should equate to 145.59 euro but I was charged 154.15 euro.
    Any idea what might have happened? I thought the whole idea was that there was no fee

Sorry for the (maybe silly) question but have just completed my first purchase with Revolut and can't seem to make the numbers add up. I bought something on ebay.co.uk and added my new Revolut Card to my account.
    The amount was £129.95 and the exchange rate being given on the Revolut App screen was £0.8925 (which is the same on www.xe.com). This should equate to 145.59 euro but I was charged 154.15 euro.
    Any idea what might have happened? I thought the whole idea was that there was no fee

If you hadn't already changed the amount to sterling on your revolut card ebay will have charged you in Euro and they will have used their own exchange rate. You need to always have the right amount of sterling in your sterling wallet on Revolut to avoid this happening. The e-commerce sites cream people with crappy exchange rates and this is why we use revolut to avoid this exact thing from happening.

I can't think of how else this would have happened.

Although even using the ebay exchange rate it should have been around 145€ so I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

I don't think it could be down to being charged in euro either, isn't the revolut card still recognised as GBP?

Sounds odd anyway, have you checked the invoice to see if anything shneaky was added on? Delivery/warranty or something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I've never had to put money into sterling just need to make sure you set your PayPal to use the cards rate instead of PayPals.

It's a strange one!

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I've never had to put money into sterling just need to make sure you set your PayPal to use the cards rate instead of PayPals.

I'll check again but pretty sure that's how I had it

Receipt from ebay says £129.95 GBP paid using credit card

Receipt from Paypal says Total £129.95

This will appear on your credit card statement as €154.15 Exchange Rate 1 eur = 0.843025

So paypal applied their own rate to the transaction??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Selection on Netflix Mexico good?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MB05

Receipt from ebay says £129.95 GBP paid using credit card

Receipt from Paypal says Total £129.95

This will appear on your credit card statement as €154.15 Exchange Rate 1 eur = 0.843025

So paypal applied their own rate to the transaction??

I had a similar issue a few month's ago, luckily I was only buying something for a few quid so it only cost me a few pence extra but I queried it with Revolut. They told me for future transactions I had to go into my paypal account and find the payments section. Then select 'Pre-approved Payments', 'funding sources' and then click on conversion options. This will give you the option to select the 'bill me in the currency listed on the sellers invoice' and save.

I am not sure if you can do it directly on ebay but this worked for other purchases I've made since.

Did you use PayPal actually?

Just doing that now MB05. The new card was ticked for Paypal's conversion rate.
    They must be making a killing! I just read through their 'terms' on ebay checkout. Cowboys Ted!
    Two of the main important paragraphs are

When you use your credit or debit card to purchase goods or services from an on-line merchant via PayPal Account Optional, a sum of electronic money equivalent to the amount of the purchase you are making is issued by PayPal and credited to the merchant’s PayPal account as payment for the goods or services you are purchasing from him. Your credit or debit card is therefore being used for the purchase of an amount of e-money which is in turn being used as payment for the goods or services from the merchant. Your credit or debit card statement will therefore show PayPal as the merchant and not the merchant from whom you are purchasing the goods or services.

PayPal may monitor the amount of payments you make using PayPal Account Optional and may at any time (at its sole discretion) require you to open a PayPal account to enable further use of the PayPal system. At that point you will be required to enter into our standard user agreement to govern the ongoing relationship with PayPal.

The first paragraph is what they are doing but only giving the seller the £129.95 but making another €10 euro themselves. Then the seller also gets charged on the transaction as far as I know.
    The second paragraph I'd imagine relates to users of Revolut or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

mobfromcork, did you pay the ebay invoice with paypal? and use your revolut card to pay?

If so you need to ensure paypal charged you in the original currency ie GBP £129.95, they try their level best to apply their own conversion rates. If you were charged in EUR (not GBP) whick it looks like then its likely Paypal used their own conversion rate.

See Change Paypal conversion options to avoid high currency exchange fee/ (which was linked to earlier in this thread) for a way to set the default conversion options per card in Paypal.
    Also see this post for how to change the conversion option for a single payment -- I recommend using the former method for the revolut card to force Paypal to use Revolut for currency conversion.

BTW: There is no benefit in exchanging funds within your revolut wallet - its OK to top up in Euro and leave the funds as Euro (apart from preloading on a Fri if you plan to make payments over the weekend when the revolut spot rate is slightly worse)

msmx5, so say if I'm at a cashpoint up North and want to pull out sterling, what I've always done was go to my phone, convert over enough Euro to give me the sterling amount and then withdraw. Am I as well just leaving it in Euro then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

yes, just as well leaving in Euro.

Unless you are withdrawing on a Sat or Sunday, in which case you will get a slightly better rate converting in the App on the Friday before.

msmx5 wrote: »
    yes, just as well leaving in Euro.

Unless you are withdrawing on a Sat or Sunday, in which case you will get a slightly better rate converting in the App on the Friday before.

I normally do withdraw at the weekends or at night but that's still when I do the currency transfer. That's great to know. I assumed if it was in my Euro wallet that the bank would use their conversion and I'd be stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I always convert it to £ before I use an atm or purcahase something. I've had problems before when I was just under the purchase price in sterling from my revolut, but with more than enough € to cover the remainder of the transaction

I think I was paying for something that was £28 but I only had £25 in the Revolut account, with more than enough € in the Revolut account to cover the rest but no dice.

It could have been a different issue for sure, but it happened more than once from the same outlet I've used the card in countless times before.

My phone died and couldn't sort it either, which was pretty annoying... but yeah, I always convert it to the local currency before purchase/atm use!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Dardania wrote: »
    Selection on Netflix Mexico good?

No it’s not like that you get the Irish content not Mexican, it just saves 5 Euro a month on the 4 screen ultra hd package with the Mexican account(get a trial vpn then got to Netflix site and you can sign up as if in Mexico)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

-=al=- wrote: »
    I think I was paying for something that was £28 but I only had £25 in the Revolut account, with more than enough € in the Revolut account to cover the rest but no dice.
    The entire amount has to come from a single balance, you can't for instance take £25 from the £ balance and convert £3 from the € balance for instance, if that's what your situation was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

There is a message on the app that there's an intermittent problem at the minute

Just got declined too, but a friends card worked fine? Not sure what's going on :S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

GPS has problems again which leads to some transactions not being processed.

It is supposed to be fixed now but it always will take a while to get completely back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

For some reason the phone insurance has been disabled for Irish customers. Support can’t say why or when it will be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭irishgeo

For some reason the phone insurance has been disabled for Irish customers. Support can’t say why or when it will be back.

Crap I just bought it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement