Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Can I do a transfer to a German account with the Revolut card?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sorry for the (maybe silly) question but have just completed my first purchase with Revolut and can't seem to make the numbers add up. I bought something on ebay.co.uk and added my new Revolut Card to my account.
    The amount was £129.95 and the exchange rate being given on the Revolut App screen was £0.8925 (which is the same on www.xe.com). This should equate to 145.59 euro but I was charged 154.15 euro.
    Any idea what might have happened? I thought the whole idea was that there was no fee

You are worrying me now.

I signed up for one of the free physical cards.

I loaded 50 euro on the app, from my debit card.

I then bought items on Amazon, adding my physical card to my account.

The items came to 36.02 GBP, and I assumed that by using Revolut I avoid the normal 1.75% bank CC fee.

I did not use GBP wallet.

The 36.02 cost me 40.52, on Friday last.

That's 88.89 pence, and the ECB rate that day was 88.923.

So it seems that I got a very good rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Geuze wrote: »
    You are worrying me now.

I signed up for one of the free physical cards.

I loaded 50 euro on the app, from my debit card.

I then bought items on Amazon, adding my physical card to my account.

The items came to 36.02 GBP, and I assumed that by using Revolut I avoid the normal 1.75% bank CC fee.

I did not use GBP wallet.

The 36.02 cost me 40.52, on Friday last.

That's 88.89 pence, and the ECB rate that day was 88.923.

So it seems that I got a very good rate.

My problem was with PayPal and linking my Revolut card to my account. I followed the steps provided by one of the posters above and under settings in PayPal had to de-select the 'Let PayPal decide what the rate is going to be' option. Haven't tested it since but need to buy something tomorrow so will try it out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

I usually convert from EUR wallet to GBP when using Amazon. Can sometimes be days before my card is debited. If it's a PayPal transaction I rarely (if ever) bother to convert first

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

My problem was with PayPal and linking my Revolut card to my account. I followed the steps provided by one of the posters above and under settings in PayPal had to de-select the 'Let PayPal decide what the rate is going to be' option. Haven't tested it since but need to buy something tomorrow so will try it out then.

Wait until Monday if you can. You'll get a better FX rate during the week.
    https://community.revolut.com/t/weekend-exchange-rate-surcharge-clarification/4483
    At the weekend (Friday 00:00 - Sunday 23:59) we apply a small mark up on the spot rate as the Forex markets are closed. We take the rate from Friday 00:00 and apply a 0.5% mark up on major currencies and 1.0% on other currencies to protect the company from potential losses due to a large fluctuation in the rate. For illiquid currencies Russian Ruble and Thai Baht, there is 1.5% mark up on weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Updated the app and got a notification that Revolute will start issuing their own cards on 1.1.2018

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

soirish wrote: »
    Updated the app and got a notification that Revolute will start issuing their own cards on 1.1.2018

how is this different to what they do now ??? Just who physically prints the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭irishgeo

bpb101 wrote: »
    how is this different to what they do now ??? Just who physically prints the cards?

maybe they wont need too charge 6 euro for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If they become their own issuer they won't wirecard anymore and also might be able to dump GPS as processor which in light of the constant GPS outage would increase reliability.

It depends on how Revolut will connect to Mastercard.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lehe8707

Can I do a transfer to a German account with the Revolut card?

Yes. I transfer to my N26. IBAN startes with DE - German,no issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭leck

I set up a Revolut acct a couple of weeks, transferred €100 to the account. I got a physical card in the post. Tonight I was buying something on Amazon and added the Revolut card to my account first and then tried to pay with it. The payment appeared to go through but an hour later I got a message saying the payment had been declined. I noticed that I wasn't asked for the CCV number on the card.

... or maybe I was supposed to activate the card by using it at an ATM or something. The blurb on the back of the packaging said "this card is active".

One problem I'm having is that I can't install the Revolut app on my Windows phone. I've installed DuOS (Android emulator) on my desktop, but it's almost impossible to read the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

leck wrote: »
    One problem I'm having is that I can't install the Revolut app on my Windows phone. I've installed DuOS (Android emulator) on my desktop, but it's almost impossible to read the screen.

Not having an Android/ios phone will make it difficult alright as there is no account access other than via the app. Perhaps Revolut are asking for your identity to be verified before allowing you make transactions - they seem to be getting more finiky about that since I signed up over 2 years ago. It is worth getting your identity verified with them if you haven't already.

One suggestion would be to try to obtain an old android or ios phone to use for revolut - you don't need a SIM card in it as you can receive the verification SMS on your own windows phone and type it into the App. Thay might get you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Anyone experiencing app crash while currency exchange. Tried many times but failing with app crashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Tried to install this app on my phone, went through the process, got some weird, 'it will be ten days before you account is created' type of message and now the app crashes each time I try and open it.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Is it Android or iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Sorry, iPhone 7.

Revolut will issue their own cards on the Visa network soon.

If you want to give them a try as beta test, you can request a free card here:
    https://revolut.typeform.com/to/ZGpswx

The card is branded as visa debit with a "prepaid" label on the back and once it is approved will show in the App just like the current mastercards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Nice one - done! What is the advantage - things like verified by Visa?

Dardania wrote: »
    Nice one - done! What is the advantage - things like verified by Visa?

Not yet, I assume that happens over time.

Right now the only advantage is a free card and that you are an early tester for the new card type which according to rumor does not use GPS so you might get less outages.

In the long run once Revolut becomes it own issuer (next year) they will move to Visa and once they get their own bank license (on which they work very hard see here) more functions will appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Anyone know if the knew card has contactless? I never upgraded from the original one...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

hots wrote: »
    Anyone know if the knew card has contactless? I never upgraded from the original one...

Yes it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Amazon transaction just failed. Amazon tried bill me separately for each item but was charged twice for the first so payment failed the rest of the items (had almost the exact GBP amount in my wallet

No idea if it's the fault of Amazon or Revolut. Will contact Amazon first. Both transactions are currently pending so it might clear itself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Amazon transaction just failed. Amazon tried bill me separately for each item but was charged twice for the first so payment failed the rest of the items (had almost the exact GBP amount in my wallet

No idea if it's the fault of Amazon or Revolut. Will contact Amazon first. Both transactions are currently pending so it might clear itself

If you click on the payment in the Revolut app does it say "This transaction is awaiting the merchant's confirmation or reversal"?

I had two transactions show up from one purchase. Amazon said one would be cancelled.
    A bit irritating having to check that it does though.
    Can't remember this happening with my regular card - I wonder is it just because we see a lower level of detail with instant notifications? Perhaps the regular banks are better at filtering these "holds"?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

long_b wrote: »
    I wonder is it just because we see a lower level of detail with instant notifications? Perhaps the regular banks are better at filtering these "holds"?

Yes, you see much more granularity with Revolut compared to traditional cards. With a "normal" credit/debit cards you don't see the pending transactions and your credit limit will normally cover any transactions where an initial hold is placed to check the card is valid then a second traction for the same amount is made and finalised. (Correct merchant process is to finalise the first transaction but many just let the 1st expire and process a 2nd leading to an overlap with double the funds reserved from your wallet until the 1st transaction is released)

Its common for Revolut users to only store the funds they need for a set of transactions in a wallet therefore if there are any issues with pending transactions holding funds there is no buffer for subsequent transactions leading to potential for declines.

Amazon typically charge nothing when an order is placed, or only a small sum to verify the card then charge each item on an order separately as it is shipped (often from different fulfilment centres)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I was transferring €75 from my Mastercard (BOI) to my Revolut and they are charging me 1%, 75c, three weeks ago I transferred €700 from three differerent Swirl card prepaid credit cards and there was no charge. Is this charge a new thing or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Doltanian wrote: »
    I was transferring €75 from my Mastercard (BOI) to my Revolut and they are charging me 1%, 75c, three weeks ago I transferred €700 from three differerent Swirl card prepaid credit cards and there was no charge. Is this charge a new thing or what?
    Topping up with a proper credit card has always carried a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

markodaly wrote: »
    Sorry, iPhone 7.

Not too sure. I don't have the latest update on my iPhone but have had bugs/issues with different versions before. If it doesn't work after a reinstall or rebooting the phone, you may have to wait for another update

Credit card top ups have a 1% fee but debit cards are free

carrotcake wrote: »
    Topping up with a proper credit card has always carried a charge.

I signed up to it along time ago (possibly 1 year ago) but only started to use it 3 weeks ago, would I be correct in assuming that it was free for the first 12 months?

If I topup by €75 now will Revolut charge me €75.75 or €75 and then let me me a revolut balance of €69.25 deducting the 1% from my €75 I top up by. I got a refund back to my credit card for €75 and have €36 left in my Revolut and I want to buy something costing €99.99 so was going to transfer the €75.00 refund from my normal credit card to the revolut and use the combined funds to buy the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I signed up to it along time ago (possibly 1 year ago) but only started to use it 3 weeks ago, would I be correct in assuming that it was free for the first 12 months?

If I topup by €75 now will Revolut charge me €75.75 or €75 and then let me me a revolut balance of €69.25 deducting the 1% from my €75 I top up by. I got a refund back to my credit card for €75 and have €36 left in my Revolut and I want to buy something costing €99.99 so was going to transfer the €75.00 refund from my normal credit card to the revolut and use the combined funds to buy the item.

Credit card top ups are charged at 1%

They will charge you €75.75

If buying on Amazon you could top up your account with the €36 (using the Revolut card) and use that as part payment with your credit card for the balance.

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Credit card top ups are charged at 1%

They will charge you €75.75

If buying on Amazon you could top up your account with the €36 (using the Revolut card) and use that as part payment with your credit card for the balance.

Thanks very much for that, I topped up by €74.26 + €0.74 1% fee which saw my Bank of Ireland card then charged €75 which was what I wanted to happen. I'm actually buying this item from eBay but your idea to topup Amazon is a really good idea also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement