Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDS Craft Beer Festival 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

There was a pale stout from some spot about halfway up on the left (behind the music) that was the worst thing I'd ever tasted. It was meant to taste of coffee beans, but all we could taste off it was cigarettes. Can still taste it this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I was obviously disappointed that I didn't get in but I remember it being so jammed a couple of years ago that it was like a sauna.

It was warm again this year, though they did have the big shutter at the back open for the food area which let in some badly needed fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Shedite27 wrote: »
    There was a pale stout from some spot about halfway up on the left (behind the music) that was the worst thing I'd ever tasted. It was meant to taste of coffee beans, but all we could taste off it was cigarettes. Can still taste it this morning!

It was a lot of people's Beer of the Festival. I thought it was outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Can you do anything with the left over tokens?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hold on to them next year and hope they use the same type and colours basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Remember lads and lasses, craft beer is just a phase.

http://i.imgur.com/35eK4yv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Son0vagun wrote: »
    It was a lot of people's Beer of the Festival. I thought it was outstanding.

Was from a Yellow Belly I believe. I loved it, looked like a regular pale beer, but tasted of Stout that had been put through a smoker. Gorgeous stuff, though not for everyone judging by the reactions of my associates there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Red Wolf wrote: »
    Was from a Yellow Belly I believe. I loved it, looked like a regular pale beer, but tasted of Stout that had been put through a smoker. Gorgeous stuff, though not for everyone judging by the reactions of my associates there.

Speaking of YellowBelly, their Black Tea Stout was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Didn't get around to that one, however as I don't like tea I've no regrets. So many good (and some not so good) beers though and not enough time. Been going to this for the last few years and keep saying I should go more than one day, ah well maybe next year...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I have to say, the ticketing system was terribly conceived. Those that paid for tickets online in advance - and it is worth noting that doing so meant paying a booking fee in addition to the price of entry - were made to queue outside the door with those who had no tickets, thus negating the entire point of buying an advance ticket.

On Saturday buying in advance meant a discount on the price of entry at the door but on Friday this was not the case. On Friday evening this meant a 15-20 minute wait shortly after 7.

It is quite disappointing indeed to find that going to the extra effort and cost of buying online gives absolutely no advantage on the Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Blut2

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I have to say, the ticketing system was terribly conceived. Those that paid for tickets online in advance - and it is worth noting that doing so meant paying a booking fee in addition to the price of entry - were made to queue outside the door with those who had no tickets, thus negating the entire point of buying an advance ticket.

On Saturday buying in advance meant a discount on the price of entry at the door but on Friday this was not the case. On Friday evening this meant a 15-20 minute wait shortly after 7.

It is quite disappointing indeed to find that going to the extra effort and cost of buying online gives absolutely no advantage on the Friday.

To be fair, that's similar to most sporting/music events - where a ticket is a ticket, regardless of if its bought at the door or in advance. I think the main advantage of buying online is being guaranteed entry. As some of us found out to our cost on Saturday evening...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Blut2 wrote: »
    To be fair, that's similar to most sporting/music events - where a ticket is a ticket, regardless of if its bought at the door or in advance. I think the main advantage of buying online is being guaranteed entry. As some of us found out to our cost on Saturday evening...

It seems to be a matter of perception and expectation in that case. Rolling up to Taylor Swift with no ticket is perhaps a little bit more naive than arriving at a beer festival that, judging by some of the earlier posts, few expected to sell out though.

From my own observation on Friday, a large number of baffled people were turned away from the door with pre-purchased tickets and told to return to the queue, so it wasn't just me or my entourage.

Personally, I bought a three-day ticket, which I used first on Thursday, when there was no queue, so this made it essentially seamless for me to go in and out, but I felt the frustration of those around me. The three-day ticket is definitely the best option if you expect to be there for more than one day, from a value point of view and from a queuing point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

It seems to be a matter of perception and expectation in that case. Rolling up to Taylor Swift with no ticket is perhaps a little bit more naive than arriving at a beer festival that, judging by some of the earlier posts, few expected to sell out though.

My personal reason was the Beoir 50% discount was only redeemable at the door. I'd have been very annoyed had I been turned away Saturday just trying to redeem the half price deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Why didn't it run for the Sunday as well? They could have even had an earlier 9pm finish or something? there was clearly demand for it?

I was there Friday evening with work friends for a few hours. I really liked the Mango infused Deception on cask from trouble, I thought O'Brother's new IPA was phenomenal, Month's "mountain lager" was a lovely unfiltered lager for a hot day and a slice of pizza and I thought Porterhouse's new IIPA and Troble's TIPA were both epic!

Yarghhh wrote: »
    My personal reason was the Beoir 50% discount was only redeemable at the door. I'd have been very annoyed had I been turned away Saturday just trying to redeem the half price deal.

Yes, ultimately it would have been cheaper for me to just pay on the door with Beoir membership, as I went only two days. But it would probably be a pain to implement some kind of online ticketing system that allowed Beoir members to get discounts.

Anyway, I've had my grumble now. Hopefully they will continue to improve, as they always have in the past.

Overall I really enjoyed the event and the I imagine that for the vast majority of people it was an overwhelmingly positive experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Have to say, thought it was brilliant this year. Failed miserably to try all the beers I should have and should definitely have not tried the 7% plus beers early in the evening (schoolboy error) but overall found it great, especially having the food section out back.

I think having at least one or possibly two alternative token sale stands down the back of the venue (or even having people walking around selling them) would stop the clustering of people at the front, and going from one queue (to get in) to another queue (for tokens) was a bit annoying, perhaps selling you tokens whilst you were getting the tag would be a better use of time?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

perhaps selling you tokens whilst you were getting the tag would be a better use of time?
    You'd end up with the two companies getting in each other's way. I don't know why they don't have roaming token vendors: seems really obvious.

BeerNut wrote: »
    You'd end up with the two companies getting in each other's way. I don't know why they don't have roaming token vendors: seems really obvious.

A man who I identified, possibly incorrectly, as Seamus O'Hara was selling tokens to people in the queue outside on the Friday evening to save people time. Roaming sellers would certainly be a good idea.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was at least one twunt acting as an unofficial roaming seller, at twice the price, when the queues got quite bad.

I'm surprised he managed to get as many tokens as he had, probably repeat trips to each staff member on the desk early in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

A man who I identified, possibly incorrectly, as Seamus O'Hara was selling tokens to people in the queue outside on the Friday evening to save people time. Roaming sellers would certainly be a good idea.

Isn't he one of the organisers of it all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Isn't he one of the organisers of it all?

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I finally got to try The beer formerly known as Curious Brew but now known as Radical Brew from Radikale in bierhaus, Cork last night.

I think it's a truly amazing beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

I finally got to try The beer formerly known as Curious Brew but now known as Radical Brew from Radikale in bierhaus, Cork last night.

I think it's a truly amazing beer.

I'd expect to see more of this type of beer with the price of hops ever increasing.

Does anyone know why lagunitas had a stand? Would have fathered another Irish brewery there.

Also when will the madness of Itchy and Scratchy land dollars go? What's wrong with give cash directly to the brewers? Legal reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Not G.R wrote: »
    Does anyone know why lagunitas had a stand? Would have fathered another Irish brewery there.

They have had a US/Canadian brewer over the last few. Also an associate of Porterhouse in the importer from them so probably looking for a push.

The quest not asked is why Jameson were there
    IAlso when will the madness of Itchy and Scratchy land dollars go? What's wrong with give cash directly to the brewers? Legal reasons?

Standard beer festival issue for anything over a couple of breweries

They didn't really. Grand Cru Beers had a stand, and has done every year, I think. Usually they have Sierra Nevada and a couple of other beers; this year they went all Lagunitas. I've been a bit down on Lagunitas lately but the Fusion pale ale was fantastic.
    Also when will the madness of Itchy and Scratchy land dollars go?
    It won't.
    What's wrong with give cash directly to the brewers? Legal reasons?
    Business reasons. The festival organisers, the RDS and the provider of the licence to serve alcohol (Madigan's across the road) all demand a cut of the money taken in by the bars. It would be impossible to count the cash taken by the bars and give each party their cut out of that. It would also be an absolute security nightmare to have 50 cashboxes on the go, and may even render the event uninsurable. There's no practical way to run an event of this format on this scale on a cash basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Also when will the madness of Itchy and Scratchy land dollars go? What's wrong with give cash directly to the brewers? Legal reasons?
    It won't.

Business reasons. The festival organisers, the RDS and the provider of the licence to serve alcohol (Madigan's across the road) all demand a cut of the money taken in by the bars. It would be impossible to count the cash taken by the bars and give each party their cut out of that. It would also be an absolute security nightmare to have 50 cashboxes on the go, and may even render the event uninsurable. There's no practical way to run an event of this format on this scale on a cash basis.
    The option to cash-in un-used tokens needs to be addressed though, hoping they'll carry over to the next one, frankly, isn't good enough IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    The option to cash-in un-used tokens needs to be addressed though, hoping they'll carry over to the next one, frankly, isn't good enough IMHO
    Why though? if they were sold in a minimum spend groups I'd tend to agree loosely, but it's up to yourself to manage your spend.

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    frankly, isn't good enough IMHO
    I'm sure the RDS, whose system it is, think it's just fine and in no way jeopardises their takings. Why, if anything, it probably increases them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I'm sure the RDS, whose system it is, think it's just fine and in no way jeopardises their takings. Why, if anything, it probably increases them :D
    My point exactly ;)

• Advertisement

Why though? if they were sold in a minimum spend groups I'd tend to agree loosely, but it's up to yourself to manage your spend.

If the terrible queues at some times didn't induce panic buying by some people, there'd be nobody to blame.

Advertisement