Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDS Craft Beer Festival 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Anyone know if any brewerys will fill a growler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm actually susprised the growler people aren't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Well impressed last night!

Loved the new layout at the festival. More brewery's in the same room and having the deals makes it easier to find the beer that you want. Also, the quiet/food area makes a nice oasis from the arena and the music inside was quieter and less intrusive and it made the night a lot easier.

There's loads of ciders on tap and plenty of spirits on the go so non beer drinkers are well provided for. And for the novice/casual drinker, well you have a lot of mid range beers to go with.

Just on the Growler people, the RDS isn't licences for off sales so there wasn't much point in their being there sales wise. Doubtless they were floating around to network with new lines of supply just not visibly to Joe public.

And of the beer that I had? I was very impressed with Dungarvan. A pile of gravity casks to rotate for the weekend plus they have a traditional two pour hand pumped stout; one old and one young cask.

Kinnegar as always never let me down and while Geuzberry was much sought I went with and loved the Swingletree, a real supper that's disguised as a sessioner.

Trouble Brewing have a cherry Dark Arts on cask, West Kerry have some wonderful fruit flavoured brews but the pick for me was Radic Ale and Curious. Drink it with a clean palate, there's tons of flavours complementing each other.

Two other things I liked, a table of people knitting and supping beer and, to give them their due, Tom Crean pulled out all stops with their bar ;)

Roll on next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I got a growler last year from the Galway Bay stall, as if I hadn't drunk enough beer at that point of the evening.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yeah there's no growler fills or takeaway sales this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Anyone have must tries....
    Id love to try them all, but I don't think the organisers or the staff in a&e would like me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Whatever's on the blackboard at Rye River, and the Rascal's Chardonnay Saison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I enjoyed myself last night. There was a great crowd for the first night and I liked the layout of the hall. It felt nice and full, and the covered outside area was a good call.

I paid the additional €2 for the stem glass and felt that it added a certain je ne sais quoi to my beer drinking.

I tried only four full measures while I was there but also had a number of tasters and sips from my father's selections. In general I decided to go for the festival specials when available, rather than more conventional brews. Some were disappointing, others quite good. Today I will just go for the things I want, instead of what I cannot normally get.

8 Degrees Oktoberfest Bock was bland but perhaps this is just the nature of the bock style. Given that they make so many excellent, flavoursome beers I think there are much better options at that stand.

Dungarvan's strong ale in the gravity cask was certainly full-bodied but far too sweet for my taste. My father also agreed. I'm quite interested to try the mix of young and old Black Rock today.

West Kerry's elderflower porter was a taste experience. The porter was quite dry and sharp and was more or less balanced by the relative sweetness of the elderflower. I would personally have preferred a sweeter base but that might have been too cloying.

Mountain Man's blueberry wheat (?) beer was quite subtle and didn't too much fruitiness going on. Overall I felt it was a relatively mediocre wheat beer with a hint of something else.

Black's sour brown ale was probably the best of all the beers I had - brown and sour, just like its name.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Anyone have must tries....
    Id love to try them all, but I don't think the organisers or the staff in a&e would like me

O'Brothers Double IPA is fantastic, Blacks Brown sour, RadikAles Curious brew, Long Meadows Oak aged cider is incredible.

Anyone have any idea why GBB didn't make an appearance? Are they so big that they don't need these kind of festivals anymore?

Also anyone know why the national homebrew club didn't have a stall this year. Have really gotten into home brewing since this time last year and was looking forward to their stand.

The worst of posts like this is that I am now ruing dozens of beers :)
    Ravelleman wrote: »
    I enjoyed myself last night. There was a great crowd for the first night and I liked the layout of the hall. It felt nice and full, and the covered outside area was a good call.

I paid the additional €2 for the stem glass and felt that it added a certain je ne sais quoi to my beer drinking.

I tried only four full measures while I was there but also had a number of tasters and sips from my father's selections. In general I decided to go for the festival specials when available, rather than more conventional brews. Some were disappointing, others quite good. Today I will just go for the things I want, instead of what I cannot normally get.

8 Degrees Oktoberfest Bock was bland but perhaps this is just the nature of the bock style. Given that they make so many excellent, flavoursome beers I think there are much better options at that stand.

Dungarvan's strong ale in the gravity cask was certainly full-bodied but far too sweet for my taste. My father also agreed. I'm quite interested to try the mix of young and old Black Rock today.

West Kerry's elderflower porter was a taste experience. The porter was quite dry and sharp and was more or less balanced by the relative sweetness of the elderflower. I would personally have preferred a sweeter base but that might have been too cloying.

Mountain Man's blueberry wheat (?) beer was quite subtle and didn't too much fruitiness going on. Overall I felt it was a relatively mediocre wheat beer with a hint of something else.

Black's sour brown ale was probably the best of all the beers I had - brown and sour, just like its name.

• Advertisement

That's the Dungarvan stout set up. Don't expect a nitro head on it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The worst of posts like this is that I am now ruing dozens of beers :)

Missed beers, you mean?

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Missed beers, you mean?

Brewers and beers. I did 12 halfs last night and I like to to try and sample one of each from as many Brewers as possible, ideally not regular beers I can get in bars and off sales. Even with a few samples along the way, you will miss loads and it makes me pine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

oblivious wrote: »
    Dungarvan also have bottles of their Gluten free Comeragh Challenger

Cheers, Oblivious. Kegs weren't ready but we brought bottles. Certified gluten free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

noby wrote: »
    Cheers, Oblivious. Kegs weren't ready but we brought bottles. Certified gluten free.

Will you still have the 2 part pour (new and aged Black Rock) tonight? Think that's likely to be my first beer of the festival though i'm worried it will set too high a bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bready_Hopper

Not G.R wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea why GBB didn't make an appearance? Are they so big that they don't need these kind of festivals anymore?

Also anyone know why the national homebrew club didn't have a stall this year. Have really gotten into home brewing since this time last year and was looking forward to their stand.

No, Nothing like that. Would love to be there but doing Leeds Beer fest next week, Indymanbeercon the week after & London Beer Carnival start of Oct. Cant do all the fests unfortunately.

NHC stand will defo be there on Saturday anyway, as few lads are volunteering on the forum. Im sure Irish Goat will confirm.

Will you still have the 2 part pour (new and aged Black Rock) tonight? Think that's likely to be my first beer of the festival though i'm worried it will set too high a bar!

Still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Went last night, great new layout having the food outside, left more room for the brewers..
    Loads of ciders and whiskeys there too, more so than in previous years.

My personal favorites were Anything by "Wicklow Brewery", the WB-40 and St Kevin's red ale, amazing...along with the Helles..

Brigid's Ale was a close 2nd to Wicklow brewery beers, and the copper beer glass i bought off them was a great way to keep the beer cool!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Enjoying it tonight thus far. Better than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

Hoping to get down tomorrow. Some great sounding beers this year. How much are they charging for the half pints

• Advertisement

Hoping to get down tomorrow. Some great sounding beers this year. How much are they charging for the half pints

Barrel Aged Leann Follain is mad stuff altogether. Whiskey beer!

Really enjoying the old and new from dungarvan dangerous stuff, it's like drinking water.

Also so far I've been getting 2/3rd pints with the bigger glass.....worth the extra 2 quid

Really enjoying the old and new from dungarvan dangerous stuff, it's like drinking water.

Also so far I've been getting 2/3rd pints with the bigger glass.....worth the extra 2 quid

Yeah my mate is the same. He's getting his 2/3 pint filled. Good in a way, but I couldn't try as many breweries.

Dungarvans strong ale is like a cross between coke and lemon.
    It hides the booze very well..
    something tells me I'm not gonna enjoy reading my boards posts in the morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Dungarvans strong ale is like a cross between coke and lemon.
    It hides the booze very well..
    something tells me I'm not gonna enjoy reading my boards posts in the morning....

it is a tricky one!

So I've drank enough.....any more and I'll be redecorating the toilets in the rds
    I've two coins left over. One is for the beer nut.
    The other is for a boardsie

The beer nut because he's introduced me to new beers and he's a go too on Irish beers

The first boardsie to say my name right to noby gets a free beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Green Clover Leaf

Red Wolf wrote: »
    Green Clover Leaf

dont say it right to me, say it right to noby

• Advertisement

dont say it right to me, say it right to noby

To be fair, Quattro Formaggio couldn't say my name right tonight...

Advertisement