Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum seeker to get college fees paid for by Department of Education.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I have an American Fiance. I wonder if she could claim asylum next time we go back to Ireland.

There's been multiple homicides within half a mile of our apartment. Also, Donald Trump could become president and she's a damn dirty minority! Here lads, will ya pay towards a Kickstarter for her?

Actually, seriously. I think this sets a bit of a dangerous precedent but I think it's cool that she's getting help. Now, they better close the gate on this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Actually, seriously. I think this sets a bit of a dangerous precedent but I think it's cool that she's getting help. Now, they better close the gate on this

It has just been opened. Asylum seekers here for five years will be charged the same as EU/Irish citizens resident for three.

Hard cases make bad law. This girl might be an exceptional student. All the others that will now benefit might not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ukrainian-student-gets-go-ahead-to-take-college-place-1.2317087

Seems very unfair to me on a lot of other students, it's not even like she did exceptionally well. I'd be feeling very aggrieved if I was an Irish student in a difficult financial situation, like so many are.

Ridiculous.

EDIT: Meant asylum seeker, not refugee. Mod change it please if you've time.

Over 575 is in the top 2 or maybe even 1% of the country..how exceptional does she need to be in your books?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Lol,
    the thread reminds me of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoFDzUfjNys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Just watch college registration fees double yet again to pay for all these assylum seekers and other persons without leave to remain in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't really think you grasp how asylum seeking works or indeed what it is.

There is a LOT of stupidity in this thread.

1. Argument 1. An Irish person is missing out. So?

2. It doesnt make financial sense? To educate someone to a high standard so they can contribute to society? It doesnt make financial sense to subsidise them in accomodation for years. She will be out earning, legitimately in three years.

3. She's a girl. - You have mommy issues. See a therapist.

4. Insert stupid comment here.

A person with potential came here, self taught herself English in two years and outscored almost every single Irish kid in the country.

She should be applauded and lauded as an example to our own kids.

Irish people are inherently insular and racist. The citizen referendum showed that. Dont lump stupidity into the mix.
    oh lord..:rolleyes:
    If you think Irish people are insular and racist I think you need to step outside and see what the world is really like, I fear it'll be a bit of a shock for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Stheno wrote: »
    If she was Sheila from Moyross who couldn't afford the registration fees/student contribution, or Paddy the traveler who bucked the system, would you make the same exception? And if you would, then where do you stop?

I certainly would, and I think we should make every effort for people who show an exceptional determination to succeed as this girl has done by achieving the results she did.

I would stop at people who think they are entitled to anything. Can't stand those sort of whingers personally tbh, the kind that are 'entitled' to opportunities, and then simply waste them. I'd rather those opportunities be given to people who actually worked for them.

If anything, this girl is an embarrassing indictment to the thousands of young people and adults in this country who complain about the Leaving Certificate and how hard they have it, etc, when this girl was able to achieve what she did despite her adverse circumstances.

I don't know what sort of assistance the Minister has in mind, or how she will find a way, or whether these really were more of her usual publicity seeking platitudes (as if she hasn't painted a big enough target on her back already with the patronage issue), but I hope this girl actually does get whatever supports are necessary to help further her education. I'm thinking it's quite likely her further education will be privately funded tbh rather than being funded directly by the State.

She was here for 2 years, not 20 months so stop using hyperbole

She was in a new country for 2 years, not almost 2 years, so you want people to stop praising her getting the marks she did in the main school exam in that country?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

"Anna Kern (19) this week voiced fears that she would be unable to go to university because of the prohibitively expensive fees." You don't have to be in direct provision to be in that club.

"Asylum-seeking students are treated as international students and have to pay full fees". Seems reasonable. Why should we pay for it? Is there another country in the world that gives free third level education to asylum seekers fresh off the boat?

And why does she have a different name to her mother and younger sister? I think we're being taken for mugs here.

And why does she have a different name to her mother and younger sister? I think we're being taken for mugs here.

My daughter has a different name to her mum.

I wonder is she an asylum seeker...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

"Anna Kern (19) this week voiced fears that she would be unable to go to university because of the prohibitively expensive fees." You don't have to be in direct provision to be in that club.

"Asylum-seeking students are treated as international students and have to pay full fees". Seems reasonable. Why should we pay for it? Is there another country in the world that gives free third level education to asylum seekers fresh off the boat?

Different father to her sister? It's not rocket science!

I'm conflicted on this. I think she did wonderfully in her exams and deserves to go to college. However, if her status is unclear, and she has NOT been given leave to remain in Ireland, how can a Minister essentially grant her permission to stay for several more years? Surely that's overriding the legal process?

Different father to her sister? It's not rocket science!

Damn you!

I was hoping no one would spell out a very very obvious answer to frostyjack's conundrum, leaving him perplexed and suspicious for longer...

My daughter has a different name to her mum.

I wonder is she an asylum seeker...

I just like to know where the money is going before we start writing cheques. Daddy wasn't in the photographs yesterday; for all we know he could be in the Ukraine, telling all his mates about this country that'll bankroll your child's college education.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There has been no confirmation yet that her education will be funded by the state. It is possible that the RSCI might offer some form of scholarship on charitable grounds, which is not uncommon.

It's more disgraceful that she wasn't allowed sit the HPAT. Our stupid rules denied her the chance to apply for a medical course. It sounds as if she has all the intelligence and ability to be a doctor and we limited her to a "lesser" course, though still a worthy one.

I just like to know where the money is going before we start writing cheques. Daddy wasn't in the photographs yesterday; for all we know he could be in the Ukraine, telling all his mates about this country that'll bankroll your child's college education.

Omg, a single mother. The horror!

Her dad isn't with her/the mother. Big bloody deal!

I just like to know where the money is going before we start writing cheques.

Um, to the college?

Where else would college fees go?

There is a lot stumping you in this one, different names for siblings, where could college fees go, but you're sure it's a scam!

Um, to the college?

Where else would college fees go?

There is a lot stumping you in this one, different names for siblings, where could college fees go, but you're sure it's a scam!

I'm not sure it's a scam, I'm just naturally suspicious of people that want something for nothing. Are you happy for us to advertise free college education for asylum seekers?

I'm not sure it's a scam, I'm just naturally suspicious of people that want something for nothing. Are you happy for us to advertise free college education for asylum seekers?

Are you also suspicious of anyone you know who gets child benefit, back to school clothing allowance, dole, medical cards, etc?

I'm not sure it's a scam...

Ah, so when you said
    I think we're being taken for mugs here.

You didn't want to imply that we are being taken for mugs here?

I have never heard of advertising free college education for asylum seekers, are you getting all that from the suggestion that we should help one bright kid?

Maybe they'll read your posts and decide the Irish education system is not for them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I just don't think it's fair or right to make exceptions no matter how well she managed to do.

575 points is a fantastic achievement, particularly considering she's only been in the country a couple of years, and probably doesn't have the support a lot of Irish students might have.

But, what if another asylum seeking student also worked really really hard, and obtained 350 points because that was the absolute peak of their ability, and really wants to study Business Studies in an IT (just as an example.) If an exception is made for this girl, why shouldn't it be made for other asylum seekers who didn't achieve such high points - but who worked every bit as hard as her, and performed to the very best of their ability?

It doesn't sit right with me to have different rules for different people in similar situations, just because she's a high profile case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

This young lady is an exceptional talent. To post up 575 in a new language after only being here for 2 years is remarkable. She will become a major asset to this country.

BUT

What happens now when somebody puts up 400, 300 or even 200 and have to decline the place. Do we intervene for everybody?

Also, I have to fork out 3k for college this year. I have no idea how I am going to pay it.

This young lady will have to pay the non EU fees of about 10k a year. If it was reduced to the 3k that everyone else pays then OK. But if she is getting a free ride from the state then that is not right.

But good luck to her, she is an outstanding talent and more should be done to nurture outstanding talents like her to become an asset to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

She's from Ukraine, which to me is not necessarily an area from which one seeks asylum (that may well be my ignorance)
    Did you live in a cave the last few years?

Ah, so when you said

You didn't want to imply that we are being taken for mugs here?

I have never heard of advertising free college education for asylum seekers, are you getting all that from the suggestion that we should help one bright kid?

Maybe they'll read your posts and decide the Irish education system is not for them...

I was expressing an opinion, not making a factual statement.

If we fund this girl's fees, then it's hardly going to be a one-off. Precedent will have been set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

If we pony up for this girl, next year we'll have a hundred immigrants asking for the same thing, and a thousand the year after. No dice I'm afraid.
    If they also achieve 575 points after 2 years here and want to stay here like this girl, let them come. Someone has to pay for the dole of the local spongers in the future you know.

Are you also suspicious of anyone you know who gets child benefit, back to school clothing allowance, dole, medical cards, etc?

Everything should be means tested. I'm curious as to why they chose Ireland over other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

No, the top five percent are not rare, in this country that's close to a quarter of a million people who are legally entitled to live here, avail of benefits etc.

How many generations is that 250,000 spread over?!? This is a girl, who achieved this result in the face of diversity. She is an asylum seeker. Have any of you ever been classed as an asylum seeker? Do any of you care to imagine what that must be like? When I hear, first hand, stories of ill treatment by my countrymen of people of different races in this country I feel ashamed every time. This is another one of those times. Grow up will you all.

What would be preferable?!? Her getting those results yet not being allowed to stay and have to work a cash job underground?! Being sent home?! People sending around petitions to help her plight to stay?!? This is a good thing....good news for Ireland for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭looksee

cronin_j wrote: »
    How much money are they going to recuperate from her in tax over the years?! If she's in medicine my guess is a lot.

I would imagine studying medicine will help her recuperate :P

(yes I know, judging by the number of people who have quoted that without commenting, I am wasting my time)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I say let her stay. Their the type if migrants we need, not the denizens of that kip in calais. Then again, there does have to be a limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

At the end of the day, she's a child. With ambition, and brains. Jesus, leave her alone. I'm sure it doesn't feel good that she has to go public looking for financial assistance. Are we really so begrudging we'd rather see someone who's worked so hard to do well, told she can't work or study?? She'd be on social welfare getting money anyway, why not put it to good use

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd waive the fees of 575 pointers from the nine circles of hell itself if I was in charge. Might scrub up the IQ level of this place a wee bit.

Advertisement