Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum seeker to get college fees paid for by Department of Education.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

She won't get better treatment than Irish students in similar circumstances.

575 is exceptional by definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Leeeets get ready to racist!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ukrainian-student-gets-go-ahead-to-take-college-place-1.2317087

Seems very unfair to me on a lot of other students, it's not even like she did exceptionally well. I'd be feeling very aggrieved if I was an Irish student in a difficult financial situation, like so many are.

Ridiculous.

EDIT: Meant asylum seeker, not refugee. Mod change it please if you've time.

I think 575 points is very good, what do you mean it's not that good

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭timaru89

is 575 not an exceptional score?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

She got 575 points, she worked hard and achieved more than most Irish students could be bothered to. The girl has serious potential and if helping her become a doctor (isn't medicine what she's doing) costs the state x amount of euro, I'd rather they give it to her for her education than give it to her to sit on the dole. Fair play to her, wish her the best of luck with her future and if Irish students from under privilivged backgrounds showed the same determination, I'd be all for helping them too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Be a shame to waste her potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ukrainian-student-gets-go-ahead-to-take-college-place-1.2317087

Seems very unfair to me on a lot of other students, it's not even like she did exceptionally well. I'd be feeling very aggrieved if I was an Irish student in a difficult financial situation, like so many.

You'd be feeling agrevied because asylum seekers will have to pay the SAME fees as Irish/EU students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Hococop wrote: »
    I think 575 points is very good, what do you mean is not that good

Very good, not exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

How many points did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

it's not even like she did exceptionally well.

How's your Ukrainian?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Also, any Irish student that's "struggling financially" have their college paid for, they're only asked to pay registration fees

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Top 2% of Leaving Cert scores isn't exceptional?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

if I was an Irish student in a difficult financial situation, like so many are.

She's originally from the Ukraine, which is now outside the eu, so she would be treated as an international student, not an Irish student, her college fees would be over 30,000 euro per year. She'd have to pay for accommodation in Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Well it is unfair that she is getting her education paid for by the state but achieving that sort of result is exceptionally brilliant. I feel she deserves it more than a tosser who got 150 points and wants to do a course in panel beating before dropping out and heading onto the dole after a few weeks of sitting in college...

She deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Asylum seekers aren't allowed to work in this country according to a radio show I was listening to last night but are allowed to study/get an education. So how is she supposed to pay, let's face it, extortionate fees if she can't work? I heard figures of 18,000 etc. I don't know if that's accurate, someone might be able to chime in. She's not looking for a handout btw, just wants to pay what everyone else in Ireland or with EU citizenship pays. This person is actively trying to contribute to society, be a shame if a loophole couldn't be found somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Congratulations to her fantastic result. It was an outstanding feat for anyone, let alone someone in such a precarious position.

Genuinely remarkable. I am sure she will be a valued medical professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Kid does well in Leaving Cert and get college paid for by state as she can't afford it, just like every other kid in Ireland. 575 points may even qualify her for a scholarship too, shock horror.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

She got 575 points, she worked hard and achieved more than most Irish students could be bothered to. The girl has serious potential and if helping her become a doctor (isn't medicine what she's doing) costs the state x amount of euro, I'd rather they give it to her for her education than give it to her to sit on the dole. Fair play to her, wish her the best of luck with her future and if Irish students from under privilivged backgrounds showed the same determination, I'd be all for helping them too

She wants to do physiotherapy

I have to admit I'm a bit conflicted by this. The girl is an asylum seeker, she has no legal status to remain here at the moment, and now we have the minister for education telling her she is going to be funded for four years of education while it has not yet been established she has a right to stay here.

She's from Ukraine, which to me is not necessarily an area from which one seeks asylum (that may well be my ignorance) and she and her family (mother and sister from what I can gather) are here just over two years, so they should be coming to the end of having their claim processed.

What will happen if e.g. in December they are denied asylum? Will this young lady then have a counter claim that she has been granted de facto asylum or more as she is being given treatment equal to or greater than an Irish citizen?

If the OP doesn't think 575 is exceptional, then what in the f*ck do they think is? I mean, Christ, I only got around 300 - 400 now .. can't remember whatsoever!

My issue is with the fact she is an asylum seeker. If her application is rejected then what happens? For all we know her claim could be bogus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Stheno wrote: »
    She wants to do physiotherapy

I have to admit I'm a bit conflicted by this. The girl is an asylum seeker, she has no legal status to remain here at the moment, and now we have the minister for education telling her she is going to be funded for four years of education while it has not yet been established she has a right to stay here.

She's from Ukraine, which to me is not necessarily an area from which one seeks asylum (that may well be my ignorance) and she and her family (mother and sister from what I can gather) are here just over two years, so they should be coming to the end of having their claim processed.

What will happen if e.g. in December they are denied asylum? Will this young lady then have a counter claim that she has been granted de facto asylum or more as she is being given treatment equal to or greater than an Irish citizen?

Wasn't this the most dominating news story of 2014?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Only a few posts in and we've already had a cry of racism and other such SJW liberal stances.

As I said over in this thread, it is completely wrong that the Minister for Education intervene in this case and indeed assure the girl that she'll be looked after when her legal status in this country has yet to be determined. We have an immigration system and rules around entry that should be respected and while I sympathise with this girl's situation, there are many thousands of other native and legally resident families who will struggle to send their children to college this year, and some of whom wil not get the chance because of the cost. Who speaks for them? Why is the Minister not promising them a "dig-out" as well?

The idea that these same families should then pay for the education and support of people whose legal status in this country has yet to be reviewed let alone legitimised at the expense of our own citizens and legal residents is wrong, regardless of the current view among some that we should be out rescuing the world while at the same time we see increasing homelessness, child poverty and a housing/rental crisis that's been largely ignored and passed back and forth by the Government and its Departments.

Dey tuk arrr college plaaaaccesss, huh, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

would this happen if there wasn't an election looming?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Only a few posts in and we've already had a cry of racism and other such SJW liberal stances.

As I said over in this thread, it is completely wrong that the Minister for Education intervene in this case and indeed assure the girl that she'll be looked after when her legal status in this country has yet to be determined. We have an immigration system and rules around entry that should be respected and while I sympathise with this girl's situation, there are many thousands of other native and legally resident families who will struggle to send their children to college this year, and some of whom wil not get the chance because of the cost. Who speaks for them? Why is the Minister not promising them a "dig-out" as well?

The idea that these same families should then pay for the education and support of people whose legal status in this country has yet to be reviewed let alone legitimised at the expense of our own citizens and legal residents is wrong, regardless of the current view among some that we should be out rescuing the world while at the same time we see increasing homelessness, child poverty and a housing/rental crisis that's been largely ignored and passed back and forth by the Government and its Departments.

This this this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Asylum seekers are hardly the same as overseas students who choose to study here because they want a pleasant overseas college experience are they? People who come here as overseas students would generally have equivelant educucational oppurtunities if they stayed in their country of origin, they generally don't need to attend college here because they are unsafe at home, but rather choose to, as an optional life experience which has nothing to do with maintaining personal safety!

But then everyone knows that don't they....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

would this happen if there wasn't an election looming?

Cant imagine this is a big vote getting win tbh. Couple of sympathisers at the very most.

The asylum seeker vote isnt a big one. Currently running at 0% afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Have you ever seen Saving Private Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

How much money are they going to recuperate from her in tax over the years?! If she's in medicine my guess is a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

Refugee status is not defined by Leaving Cert results, nor is refugee status an academic accolade. If she qualifies for refugee status or subsidiary protection, then of course she should be treated the exact same as an Irish citizen. If she does not qualify, then she should be treated the exact same as other non EU citizens wishing to study in the state or EU and Irish citizens non resident for three years beforehand, pay the fees or look for a scholarship and go through the student visa process.

Also, it must be noted that Ukraine was not at war in 2013 when this family claimed asylum and that large swathes of the country are currently unaffected by the conflict.

Advertisement