Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flye Fit Georges St

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

In what ways?

- The floor is far too soft in the free weights area
    - Power racks aren't suitable for benching as stated in the thread previously
    - The lay out is disjointed
    - The astro turf/functional(?) room is poorly designed insofar as thE positioning on the 'track' is concerned. It splits the astro into two squares, instead of running the length of the room. The ceiling also doesn't look high enough to stand up on the higher plyo boxes apart from down the very end.
    - Too many sh*tty bumper plates.
    - No platforms
    - Dumbbells only up to 50kg
    - While the bars are better than a lot of commercial gyms its mostly Jordan weightlifting bars (I don't like lifting with whippy bars)

I dunno, I just think that if I had to train in a flyefit then Macken st (despite its sh1t bars and similar spongey floor) is a better training gym. I'm first to admit that I'm not the target demographic, I just think that they missed out on opportunity to create a really top class facility.

So all in all... a solid FLEH from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

COH wrote: »
    - The floor is far too soft in the free weights area
    - Power racks aren't suitable for benching as stated in the thread previously
    - The lay out is disjointed
    - The astro turf/functional(?) room is poorly designed insofar as thE positioning on the 'track' is concerned. It splits the astro into two squares, instead of running the length of the room. The ceiling also doesn't look high enough to stand up on the higher plyo boxes apart from down the very end.
    - Too many sh*tty bumper plates.
    - No platforms
    - Dumbbells only up to 50kg
    - While the bars are better than a lot of commercial gyms its mostly Jordan weightlifting bars (I don't like lifting with whippy bars)

I dunno, I just think that if I had to train in a flyefit then Macken st (despite its sh1t bars and similar spongey floor) is a better training gym. I'm first to admit that I'm not the target demographic, I just think that they missed out on opportunity to create a really top class facility.

So all in all... a solid FLEH from me.
    bet there are a ton of mirrors for guys and gals to take their selfies and do their vlogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭LostArt

Transform wrote: »
    bet there are a ton of mirrors for guys and gals to take their selfies and do their vlogs.

I've seen more vlogging in Raw than all the Flye's combined!

LostArt wrote: »
    I've seen more vlogging in Raw than all the Flye's combined!
    yes because being in Raw they think they make gains through osmosis i.e. if they surround themselves with genuinely strong guys and gals maybe it might rub off or is that just their fake tan and shaved chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Transform wrote: »
    yes because being in Raw they think they make gains through osmosis i.e. if they surround themselves with genuinely strong guys and gals maybe it might rub off or is that just their fake tan and shaved chest.

Some pretty strong lads and ladies in flyefit macken st. tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I see Flye are taking over Rock Fitness, Dundrum

true dat

Yep I was training there today :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That's the strong ladies portion covered so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Saw some, then?
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

What pray tell is wrong with bumper plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

GFT wrote: »

Nothing.

The problem was with '*****y bumper plates'

Ok... what constitutes a ****ty bumper plate?

GFT wrote: »

The cheap ones are too thick to fit enough of them onto the bar

The cheap ones are too thick to fit enough of them onto the bar

Ahhhhh...ok I won't have that problem for a while so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Why you no text me when you go there?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Is it easy to find bike parking nearby the gym? Macken St's indoor bike parking makes life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Is it easy to find bike parking nearby the gym? Macken St's indoor bike parking makes life easier.

Also hoping someone can answer this. wouldn't trust leaving the bike out on street. Do they provide somewhere offstreet that can lock my bike to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭caviardreams

There is always the car park (with bike parking section) in drury street car park.

There is always the car park (with bike parking section) in drury street car park.

Recent report suggested that this is no safer than the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Zillah wrote: »

Really? :(:(:(
    Thanks for the heads up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

I see Flye are taking over Rock Fitness, Dundrum

Happy but annoyed about his ha -
    Recently moved to the area, no decent gym around, I decide to buy an excellent quality shed and then order equipment (body max) - just finished my home gym 3 weeks ago - happy out. Flyefit is opening and Raww in Sandyford now, spoiled for choice :)

Really? :(:(:(
    Thanks for the heads up

http://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/bike-theft-survey-results

"Underground car parks and homes are as bad as streets for theft."

Now, I'm not familiar with the inside of Drury St, maybe it is well monitored and an exception to the rule - I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Zillah wrote: »

I was walking past the gym today and noticed they have some vertical bike racks up in the entrance just before the turnstyles. Perhaps a stupid question but would you risk locking your bike there as opposed to the Drury Street Carpark. I really want to be able to cycle to gym without worrying about having my bike stolen. My bike would cost about €900.

A bike locked on the street isn't in any immediate danger if you have a high quality lock and lock it properly. I used to lock my bike outside work every day for years, and it wasn't stolen until one day when I couldn't find a spot for the u-lock and just wrapped the cable around a pole.

A decent u-lock is very hard to get through - they're not going to bother unless they have time and privacy. They keep an eye out for soft targets, like the day mine was just protected by a cable. As the study above shows, you're as likely to have someone kick the shed door in to steal a bike as you are to have it taken from the street.

All that said, yes, I'd be perfectly happy locking my bike in the gym foyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Just thought it was worth mentioning a couple of important equipment additions to the FlyeFit on George's St that I noticed in recent weeks... They've added a second leg press station and a second Bench Press station.

Is the flooring at the racks still sh*te?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

LostArt wrote: »
    Is the flooring at the racks still sh*te?

As in, have they changed the brand new flooring they put in when they opened the gym six weeks ago? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

weedhead wrote: »
    Also hoping someone can answer this. wouldn't trust leaving the bike out on street. Do they provide somewhere offstreet that can lock my bike to?

Nobody seem to answer this although I'm a little late to the party. There's an area for racking and locking bikes in the facility, it's just before the turnstiles. Not as secure an area as in Macken street but much better than leaving it on street for some scrot to rob in plain sight and cycle away on.

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    As in, have they changed the brand new flooring they put in when they opened the gym six weeks ago? No.

No, as in, have they put the wooden flooring into the racks like Macken St?

Advertisement