Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flye Fit Georges St

Options
  • 11-08-2015 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

I'm looking to move from Ben Dunnes in Jervis to a gym closer to work etc and I noticed a couple of months ago there was talk of Flye Fit opening on Georges Street.

Does anyone know if its going ahead ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

KTR1C wrote: »
    I'm looking to move from Ben Dunnes in Jervis to a gym closer to work etc and I noticed a couple of months ago there was talk of Flye Fit opening on Georges Street.

Does anyone know if its going ahead ?

Ye. Should be in the next month or so. I pass it every day and the sign is up and they're working away on it.

No fixed opening dat yet but no later than September.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Are all FlyeFits 24-hour opening lads, or just certain ones?

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Are all FlyeFits 24-hour opening lads, or just certain ones?

All of 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The Ranelagh one is absolute mank. Macken St is great though. I wonder where George's St one will land.

I'm working quite near the Georges St one myself, not a million miles from the awesome set-up on Macken St and I've a pal in the Baggot St branch... so I'm thinking of becoming one of those twats who's a member of several gyms...

• Advertisement

I'm working quite near the Georges St one myself, not a million miles from the awesome set-up on Macken St and I've a pal in the Baggot St branch... so I'm thinking of becoming one of those twats who's a member of several gyms...

When in Roam...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭LostArt

Zillah wrote: »
    The Ranelagh one is absolute mank. Macken St is great though. I wonder where George's St one will land.

Supposedly it's pretty similar to Macken, but bigger

LostArt wrote: »
    Supposedly it's pretty similar to Macken, but bigger

Macken St is 20,000 sq. ft.

George's St is supposed to be 25,000 sq. ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RoscommoLad

The flyefit website says it is their AIM to open the George's Street gym in the second half of October.

Seems that they have been hit by the restrictions imposed by the council in the work being done because of the location

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Macken St is 20,000 sq. ft.

George's St is supposed to be 25,000 sq. ft.

Jaysus, that's encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RoscommoLad

It could be their intention to advertise a gym as opening next month for the past 4/5 months knowing well 4/5 months ago is wasn't opening the following month.
    VERSUS
    Advertising a gym now and to open in 6 months time - nobody would join that gym this month/next month and it would open in 6 months with half the membership it needed.
    Its just a theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I noticed that there is still a planning application on the door. Surely they've gotten planning permission !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

swingking wrote: »
    I noticed that there is still a planning application on the door. Surely they've gotten planning permission !!

No one takes them down. There is a few up on O'Connell Street for the last 5/6 years. If you start work without full planning, DCC would close down your site and fine you generally

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It could be their intention to advertise a gym as opening next month for the past 4/5 months knowing well 4/5 months ago is wasn't opening the following month.
    VERSUS
    Advertising a gym now and to open in 6 months time - nobody would join that gym this month/next month and it would open in 6 months with half the membership it needed.
    Its just a theory.

Solid theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gomango

This finally opened Wednesday, Thinking of joining.

Anyone that has used it have a review of availability of equipment. is it busy?

Looking to use it between 12 and 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Gomango wrote: »
    This finally opened Wednesday, Thinking of joining.

Anyone that has used it have a review of availability of equipment. is it busy?

Looking to use it between 12 and 2.

Since it's only brand new you're not really going to be able to gauge how busy it is. Chances are it'll be similar to all the other Flyefit and other gyms and be busy at peak times 7-8.30am and 5-8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭LostArt

I was there yesterday evening, pretty quiet but it's very very well equipped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I must go for a tour or something now that it's finally open
    oly stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

bluewolf wrote: »
    I must go for a tour or something now that it's finally open
    oly stuff...

no solid platforms , the room with all the racks just has rubber flooring all over. ****ty for heavy squats or deadlifts.. place is huge though.

• Advertisement

papu wrote: »
    no solid platforms , the room with all the racks just has rubber flooring all over. ****ty for heavy squats or deadlifts.. place is huge though.

There is 10 Racks though in fairness and it's not exactly spongey underfoot. Was surprised there was no platforms as the only other FlyeFit I've been in - Macken St - has em... but it's an unbelievably well-equipped gym... you'd get lost in the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

There is 10 Racks though in fairness and it's not exactly spongey underfoot. Was surprised there was no platforms as the only other FlyeFit I've been in - Macken St - has em... but it's an unbelievably well-equipped gym... you'd get lost in the place!

The racks are also of the none adjustable kind, which are always just a bit too low, or a bit too high... :/

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I actually did get lost there.. Great spot though, definitely the flagship FlyeFit and its about 2 minutes from the office. be interesting to see how bad it will be in January

papu wrote: »
    The racks are also of the none adjustable kind, which are always just a bit too low, or a bit too high... :/

Yep, this was my main bugbear I must say.

conzy wrote: »
    I actually did get lost there.. Great spot though, definitely the flagship FlyeFit and its about 2 minutes from the office. be interesting to see how bad it will be in January

Personally I'll only ever be there around mid-day or after 11pm so I'm pretty sure the 'rush' won't effect me... fingers crossed, anyhoo...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Yep, this was my main bugbear I must say.

Do you mean the safety bars can't be raised / lowered? Sorry for the stupid question! :o

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Do you mean the safety bars can't be raised / lowered? Sorry for the stupid question! :o

Exhibit A

jf6qzIF.jpg

The safety bars are fully adjustable, but for some reason the fixed rails for the barbell have omitted the 2nd notch from the bottom. So for me anyway the bottom one is too low and the next one up is too high. I just ended up using the top one and putting 10kg bumpers under the bench.

Yep, and for me, the higher pins shown in Conzy's pic - the second highest one is too low for squatting, so when I stand up to unrack with the bar it tips the pin above which is not ideal. I can't imagine I'll really be able to go 1RM on these racks because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

Popped in there this morning - not overly impressed at all tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

COH wrote: »
    Popped in there this morning - not overly impressed at all tbh

In what ways?

Advertisement