Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameweek 2 Captain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

1 assist - for Tom Cleverley in the December 2013 game at Villa Park.
    Right. So probably Kane (C) for me then...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I really wanna captain Sakho this week, but the arrest thing is putting me off, although the arrest was before the Arsenal game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

stephenl15 wrote: »
    I really wanna captain Sakho this week, but the arrest thing is putting me off, although the arrest was before the Arsenal game

Would you consider Payet if you had him?

FHFC wrote: »

Probably not, didn't see enough goal threat from him to consider captaining and if I did I probably wouldn't have the balls to.

Although he was absolutely majestic all game. When he burned Koscielny for pace I just thought wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

:)

I would.

• Advertisement

:)

I would.

You'd put Mirallas in your gw1 team too probably. And look where that got me.

Kane it is.

Kane it is.

Don't come blaming me when Payet bags a hattrick :P

Kane it is.

You know what you get from Mirallas and that's that you don't know what you'll get :P

If I had Kane I'd be going for him this week, thought he looked good, at least early on anyway against United.

Don't come blaming me when Payet bags a hattrick :P

Dont even own him yet. We'll see.

Mirallas fitness and Walcott's price are guiding my transfer and therefore captain plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

Kane C Pelle VC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

TheDazzler wrote: »
    I have addressed why I think players have favourite grounds.
    With the benefit of hindsight, they are saying they enjoyed playing at the grounds that they did well at. It's confirmation and hindsight bias.
    I am saying they enjoyed playing at Villa Park (for example) BECAUSE they scored at Villa Park.
    You seem to be saying that they scored at Villa Park because they enjoyed playing at Villa Park.
    You may think that's the same thing. I would say it isn't and you've got the cart before the horse.

I am not disregarding the whole area of sports psychology. I believe it is overstated but I believe it plays a part.
    I am also not suggesting that past performance can't predict future performance. I believe it's overstated but I believe it plays a part.

However, all the above is subjective and arguable on both sides. I have my view and others have theirs. I am happy to agree to disagree.
    That's all fine but we've reached this point as people have gone off on tangents from my original point.
    The 0 in 6 is a useless stat.
    Anyone discarding Rooney on the basis of that stat is making a mistake.
    It is my belief that most people don't understand stats very well at all and Fantasy players, who really need to understand this stuff, are rarely any better.
    With a backround in poker and sportbetting, I think I have a better handle on stats than most although I do not claim to be an expert.

You seem to suggest (due to you having read footballers autobiographies) that he will be aware of the stat and it will negatively affect his performance. ("which will have an effect on his psychological view....")
    This is highly questionable.
    Firstly neither of us know whether he is aware of it or not.

Secondly, what is the point here?
    He has 0 in 6 as he dislikes playing specifically at Villa Park? Even though he quite like playing Villa overall with 9 in 13?
    Which is more reasonable? That it's a small statistical anomoly or that Villa Park itself is a problem for him?

Or because he now has 0 in 6 at Villa Park, he is in danger of this becoming a self fulfilling prophesy, as he will be tense? Or?

And even if we accept that Rooney both knows the stat and that the knowing of the stat will affect his game in some way, why would it lessen his game?
    Why wouldn't it motivate him to "put that right"?
    Various matchups will affect players in different ways.
    Keane raised his game versus Arsenal, Neville lost his edge versus Pool.
    Why doesn't that stat makes it MORE likely Rooney will score than normal?

I have suggested a reasonable statistical expectation for Rooney in those 6 games would be 2 goals. So to have 0 is not such a big statistical anomoly.
    And we can mostly discard the games at Villa Park played in 2007-12. How can games played 7 or 8 years ago have any bearing on a game that will be played on Friday?

Probably the only players in common between all those games will be Rooney and Agbonlahor.
    The example from the 1880s was of course an extreme example but the point stands. The stats are out of date and therefore mostly useless.
    If we move to a bigger statistical sample, we find he has 9 in 13.
    So Rooney loves playing Villa!
    And as someone has helpfully pointed out in another thread, of Rooneys last 121 goals, 68 have been at home and 53 away.
    That actually indicates that he is probably scoring a slightly higher proportion of Uniteds away goals than Uniteds home goals.

Apologies to all those that find this discussion tedious.
    If this forum doesn't have an appetite for this sort of discussion, I'm happy to leave it there.

I'll try to keep it short and answer some of the points:

- different players like playing at different grounds/teams for differing reasons, not just because they scored. They may like how close the fans are to the pitch, the size of the pitch, the roll of the ball etc. It's not all based on scoring. Some players go their entire career and might score less than ten goals.
    - Gary Neville, for example, liked beating Liverpool because he went to school in Bury and he was the only United supporter in a school full of Liverpool supporters. Nothing to do with his own performances, confirmation bias or even how he played against them. It was all to do with his childhood and rivalry growing up.
    - I don't think anyone is saying they are discarding Rooney based on that stat. Like myself, though, they are saying that they would take into account if Rooney was playing a team he had a good record against.
    - him attempting to "put it right" may have as much of an adverse effect on his game as it will have a positive effect.
    - I've already explained why games from seven or eight years ago may have an effect - players often write autobiographies and you'll hear them pick out games from maybe 30 or 40 years ago that always stand out with them.
    - That player still played in those games, no matter when they were. A huge number of other factors may have changed but some will remain the same - the ground, the changing room etc. You'd be amazed the small things that players can focus in on.
    - Footballers are not robots. I'm sure Rooney has some inkling of his performances against various clubs and how they differ. Again, read any autobiography and players will go back to teams/grounds etc. You seem to want to just discard all of that.
    - I don't mean to insult you but, as another poster pointed out, if you don't think certain teams or players have an effect on how a player performs, you haven't played competitive sports.

And, to note, after he was singled out on MOTD2 where they showed the clever way he was peeling off the Stoke defenders, I'm going with Bentekkers captain.

The more the week goes on the more I'm getting terrified of Benteke.

Somebody on twitter mentioned his MNF hattrick a couple of years ago and i swear i broke into a cold sweat. I will own him soon enough i reckon but not worth a fear transfer to get him for Kane or Rooney. At least thats what i have to keep telling myself every couple of hours! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

The more the week goes on the more I'm getting terrified of Benteke.

Somebody on twitter mentioned his MNF hattrick a couple of years ago and i swear i broke into a cold sweat. I will own him soon enough i reckon but not worth a fear transfer to get him for Kane or Rooney. At least thats what i have to keep telling myself every couple of hours! :)

I have the same feeling. I have Rooney but won't captain him. Got a notion on Tuesday night to transfer him out for Benteke. Talked myself out of it but I keep coming back to the same thought for some reason.

The only problem is Rooney is a good captain option in GW3

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Benteke. 100%.
    Loves his MNF.
    Loves playing in Anfield against Bournemouth. Absolutely loves it. Hasn't had a blank against them in the last 20-30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

veering towards Benteke now. have Rooney & Kane also. half tempted to go a bit left-field with someone like Sanchez/Ayew/Payet, but more than likely i'll just go Benteke.

Stop making me fear Benteke :( I was set and happy with Kane Rooney Aguero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Sorry for the repost but I can't resist.

All Aboard ..............

s9Fj3dF.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

stephenl15 wrote:
    Be afraid, be very afraid.

PARlance wrote: »
    Benteke. 100%.
    Loves his MNF.
    Loves playing in Anfield against Bournemouth. Absolutely loves it. Hasn't had a blank against them in the last 20-30 years.

Bournemouth conceeded most chances of any team in GW1.

Little nuggets like that make me nervous.

Colking wrote: »
    Sorry for the repost but I can't resist.

All Aboard ..............

I see your Monorail Benteke and raise you the more economical Henderbus :D

tjA3o5M.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Sanchez looked very lively on the weekend when he came on. He could be on the score sheet. I'll be having Pelle as Captain and Clyne as VC.

By the way, considering Toure is only 0.5 million more expensive than Mane, does it not make a lot of sense to just buy Toure? Obviously this is only when you've not dried up your bank account. Made my team in a rush and already regretting so many picks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

No one else going Berahnio? I'll eventually spell his name right. Not a bad shout against Watford who will be over the first week excitement and West Brom are going to be well up for it and the main man had a few chances against City in spite of the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Jesus this is a tough one. Have Kane, Rooney and Pelle. On Rooney at the moment. Could very well change.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bezuaua

coin toss wont help u...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭sheroman01

bezuaua wrote: »
    coin toss wont help u...

No, but, what you can do is - assign each striker a number and then do a random number generator bewteen 1 and 3. Best of 6. No.1 came out 5 times. 1 is Pelle. Dunno what to do now. Think I need sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bezuaua

I'm going with kane... but feel free to continue gambling the coin...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

The worst thing about not owning Benteke is that it's the Monday night match. I could be flying and then any attacking returns from him with no Hendo involvement will be a double dagger
    Reganio 2 wrote: »
    No one else going Berahnio? I'll eventually spell his name right. Not a bad shout against Watford who will be over the first week excitement and West Brom are going to be well up for it and the main man had a few chances against City in spite of the loss.

Is he guaranteed to start with Lambert and now the new signing Rondon about? A bit punty in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

I have Benteke and very tempted to play my Triple Captain this week on him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,003 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Why? There will be at least 10 better captain opportunities over the course of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 On The Q.T

Keep your triple for the DGW

Advertisement