Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acting the **** abroad

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

yesto24 wrote: »
    So I spend a lot of me free time in pubs. Have got to know a lot of people in the bar trade and observed a lot.
    Make no mistake Irish people are wearing out the welcome we had. I know this has been coved about Australia already, I have never been to Australia or witnessed this so could not comment. But for here in Edmonton I have seen it and it pisses me off.
    So after hours what is it that makes the paddys act the **** abroad?
    And no I do not hate my country or my fellow Irishman before that is thrown at me by a rabid patriot. I do hate assholes and people who play up the stage Irish paddy.

I lived in London for 18 years & Aussies/Kiwi's/Saffa's are just as bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

ComfortKid wrote: »

English holiday makers are famous for being drunken yobs.

I'd say Irish are the worst of the lot because of the amount of alcohol we drink.

Have there been many programmes on tv titled 'Boozed up Irish abroad'?

I think you'll find that the English take the number one spot when it comes to the particular title of 'Acting the **** abroad'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Candie wrote: »
    Ahem.

A good bit of brush tarring there. Northern California is crawling with highly educated Irish and British people working in IT, Irish accents are frequently heard in Wall Street, or the financial centres of Boston and other large cities. Not all immigrants from Ireland are uncultured or ill educated.

A lot of the reputation is gained by J1'ers, not the more permanent immigrants.

I didn't say all, I said a lot. An easy way to distinguish them is their wearing of GAA jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I'm one of those people? Nah pal, I just very strongly disagree with what the OP said about Irish in Canada, then realised that perhaps it's a bit different in AB than BC.

I don't like messy behaviour or making us look like clowns abroad but also, I still do enjoy having a laugh and our version of having a laugh is different to theirs. For example, I was at an xmas party a couple of years ago that started at 7.30 and finished at 10 and everyone went home. I'd much rather go a bit wild and have a laugh than be boring and go home at a child's bedtime.

There is a lot of things that make us unique and people find it fun in my experience but I can also see how others can view it negatively. For the UFC, we were all singing and that when McGregor won and the Canadians were having a great time because it just doesn't happen here, but then you get some other Irish that look and say "Oh look at those drunken fools making us all look bad", that drives me insane.

To be fair singing songs as a group and having a laugh isn't what is being described as acting the bollox abroad. I think most people would see that as harmless. What I see as more serious and the true crux of this problem is the small town hardmen who after their trade dried up at home, hit the highway and decided to impose their own brand of 'craic' on everybody within a ten mile radius. We have all met them. The brash, crass and arrogant ****e talkers who spend the night shouting over each other, abusing staff and patrons alike and itching for a fight, just waiting to be told to tone it down. I've seen guys put their hands up girls skirts as they wait at the bar, then when security come they try fight everyone. All the while their mates are cheering them on and jumping in.
    I've seen lads puke over tables while people eat then try fight the rightly furious husbands who just want it sorted. It's an embarrassment. As was said earlier in the thread, there guys would be pieces of shot back home or abroad, simple. Being abroad removes the last elements of potential shame that could be imposed by any level of familiarity, once that goes out the window and pack mentality takes hold these people are subhuman.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

no one forces people to drink, we have to stop blaming the government for everything in this country.

You honestly believe the vintner federation and their significant lobbying group has no influence on successive government policy on this island?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Bulls^$t who is to blame its the people who act that way. You have responsibiliy so take it and stop blaming everyone else. THAT IS THE MAIN PROBLEM HERE ITS ALLWAYS SOMEONE ELSE

Yeah yeah yeah, of course it has nothing to do with government policy. It's not like the vintner federation racket are the main lobbying group that fund the coffers of successive Irish governments and their backward policies for the last 40 years, that won't have any affect on the general Irish population whatsoever :rolleyes:

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Yeah, but still better than those free loading Canadians!!

Canada sucks.

Wait, what are we talking about again???

WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Jamsiek wrote: »
    WTF?

I don't know what your problem is, it was perfectly cromulant point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

jackboy wrote: »
    If we want to sort out our reputation we should burn the passports of anyone who shows up to the airport in a county jersey. These are the worst of the worst.

They should be charged for crimes against fashion. Throw the book at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bulls^$t who is to blame its the people who act that way. You have responsibiliy so take it and stop blaming everyone else. THAT IS THE MAIN PROBLEM HERE ITS ALLWAYS SOMEONE ELSE

+1000, it's always looking for someone to blame here rather than looking at the problem with Number 1....Oh it's a conspiracy between the Vintners, the Irish govt, Irish Water and the Catholic Church....NO it's YOU who is acting the bollocks and being an obnoxious little sh!t!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Since when does Boards.ie censor the word "maggot"?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

buried wrote: »
    Yeah yeah yeah, of course it has nothing to do with government policy. It's not like the vintner federation racket are the main lobbying group that fund the coffers of successive Irish governments and their backward policies for the last 40 years, that won't have any affect on the general Irish population whatsoever :rolleyes:

So you don't buy into that free will bull$h1t then?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

NorthStars wrote: »

I think you'll find that the English take the number one spot when it comes to the particular title of 'Acting the **** abroad'.

Wasn't there a show titled 'Plastered Paddies Abroad' on TV3 at one point or am I dreaming

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

I think you'll find if you have been abroad in OZ the Irish are indeed the number one clowns abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

To be fair singing songs as a group and having a laugh isn't what is being described as acting the bollox abroad. I think most people would see that as harmless. What I see as more serious and the true crux of this problem is the small town hardmen who after their trade dried up at home, hit the highway and decided to impose their own brand of 'craic' on everybody within a ten mile radius. We have all met them. The brash, crass and arrogant ****e talkers who spend the night shouting over each other, abusing staff and patrons alike and itching for a fight, just waiting to be told to tone it down. I've seen guys put their hands up girls skirts as they wait at the bar, then when security come they try fight everyone. All the while their mates are cheering them on and jumping in.
    I've seen lads puke over tables while people eat then try fight the rightly furious husbands who just want it sorted. It's an embarrassment. As was said earlier in the thread, there guys would be pieces of shot back home or abroad, simple. Being abroad removes the last elements of potential shame that could be imposed by any level of familiarity, once that goes out the window and pack mentality takes hold these people are subhuman.

The scenes that you've described there surely can't be the norm though? TBH I've never seen anything like that happen at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Do you think that would make a good slogan for the Irish on tour; "Not quite as bad as the English"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ComfortKid wrote: »

I'd say Irish are the worst of the lot because of the amount of alcohol we drink.

You need to visit eastern europe mate.

Advertisement