Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acting the **** abroad

Options
  • 09-08-2015 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

So I am living out of the country for nearly the last year and have settled for now in western Canada.
    It's good, the people are nice and the society works. The politicians are as thick as are and the economy is heading for a bust like ours did but that's for another forum.
    So I spend a lot of me free time in pubs. Have got to know a lot of people in the bar trade and observed a lot.
    Make no mistake Irish people are wearing out the welcome we had. I know this has been coved about Australia already, I have never been to Australia or witnessed this so could not comment. But for here in Edmonton I have seen it and it pisses me off.
    So after hours what is it that makes the paddys act the **** abroad?
    And no I do not hate my country or my fellow Irishman before that is thrown at me by a rabid patriot. I do hate assholes and people who play up the stage Irish paddy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

If you're spending most of your free time in pubs then are you not living up to the stereotype?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yesto24

JeffKenna wrote: »
    If you're spending most of your free time in pubs then are you not living up to the stereotype?

I said a lot of my free time. But going for a couple of beers with some Canadians is not acting a ****. And I wasn't talking about stereotypes I am referring to total **** behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Wouldnt be the Dubs, are these from the bog?

Because we drink and fight.

But if challenged, of course we say we don't and we look down on travellers for their drinking fighting ways. We hate that mirror being held up to ourselves.

You hear the same story wherever Irish go en-masse. In San Diego, the landlords prefer not having Irish tenants, because they have what's called eviction parties, where they have loads of people over, cause hundreds if not thousands in damage, and leave the landlord with the bill. There's similar stories in other places across America. And Australia. And Canada.

• Advertisement

Too many Irish people seem to believe they're universally loved just for being Irish, and that people overlook their drunken antics because they're just fun-loving Irish people, having the craic. Some people just have no self awareness, but luckily they're in the minority. Shame everyone gets tarred with the same brush though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I worked in Australia for a couple of years in my 20s. I was working with a "Big 4" firm so it wasn't your typical working holiday visa experience.

When I first started, what really pi$$ed me off, was a lot of my Australian colleagues' stereotypical views of the "paddies". After a few months out there, I wouldn't even bother trying to defend the Irish, because to be frank, the Aussies were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Always remember that you're an ambassador for Ireland while abroad. I know from my time in Aus that certain well behaved Irish people were affected from the actions of a few county colour wearing degenerate yobos when it came to applying for jobs. I was in Perth at the time the Western Australian Police issued a plea to the local GAA clubs to try and get the Irish community in order.

You hear the same story wherever Irish go en-masse. In San Diego, the landlords prefer not having Irish tenants, because they have what's called eviction parties, where they have loads of people over, cause hundreds if not thousands in damage, and leave the landlord with the bill. There's similar stories in other places across America. And Australia. And Canada.

You mean the Irish drink and cause huge damage to private property? Surely not, they must confuse us with travellers. Why next they'll say we cause road traffic offences and abuse children when we know it's only travellers do that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭buried

Nothing you can do about all that OP. What you can do is be yourself and show your Canadian mates/acquaintences that there are actually Irish people that don't make a continuous habit or knack of making a drunken show of themselves

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

You mean the Irish drink and cause huge damage to private property? Surely not, they must confuse us with travellers. Why next they'll say we cause road traffic offences and abuse children when we know it's only travellers do that stuff.

Conor you seem to be obsessed with travellers. No one on this thread mentioned them but you have two big posts fighting with yourself over them.

Every country has there fair share of dickheads that give their country a bad name. I met a real nasty shower of Dutch scumbags on my travels before.

English holiday makers are famous for being drunken yobs.

I'd say Irish are the worst of the lot because of the amount of alcohol we drink.

Wouldnt be the Dubs, are these from the bog?

Actually that's funny. What promoted me to start this was a pissed gob****e dub at the bar today telling anyone who would listen and a lot who weren't that you would never beat the IRA.

No it is across the country .

And yes I was in the pub in the afternoon. I went there after work for some food and a drink. I will not act rude or loud now or later.

Let me clear up the first post its not all Irish its just a minority. A big minority. A loud and rude minority. But they are ruining it for the rest of us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

yesto24 wrote: »
    So I am living out of the country for nearly the last year and have settled for now in western Canada.
    It's good, the people are nice and the society works. The politicians are as thick as are and the economy is heading for a bust like ours did but that's for another forum.
    So I spend a lot of me free time in pubs. Have got to know a lot of people in the bar trade and observed a lot.
    Make no mistake Irish people are wearing out the welcome we had. I know this has been coved about Australia already, I have never been to Australia or witnessed this so could not comment. But for here in Edmonton I have seen it and it pisses me off.
    And no I do not hate my country or my fellow Irishman before that is thrown at me by a rabid patriot. I do hate assholes and people who play up the stage Irish paddy.

Being a lad is perceived as being a positive thing with our youngest generation especially. Had two of them around me recently for an extended period of time. They thought they were the funniest thing. Always drinking or talking about drinking and their hangovers.

Utter gobsheens.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Conor you seem to be obsessed with travellers. No one on this thread mentioned them but you have two big posts fighting with yourself over them.

Every country has there fair share of dickheads that give their country a bad name. I met a real nasty shower of Dutch scumbags on my travels before.

I'd say Irish are the worst of the lot because of the amount of alcohol we drink.

But whose fault is that? We got a heavy racket/lobby group here on this island called the vintner federation who demand their racket be state sanctioned protected, advertised and functioned as the only mainstream social outlet for our community. It is not the Irish peoples fault. Its the fault and cowardice of successive governmental policy and the greediness for their electoral fundage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

The question I would have is whether the "paddies" are acting the **** abroad, or whether they are acting like they would be at home, but such actions just don't fit into the relevant culture in which they presently find themselves..?

ComfortKid wrote: »

Not in the least bit obsessed. Amused that the sins that are thrown at us abroad are the ones we throw at a certain community here while being outraged that anyone would say it about us. We are the drunken fighting Irish, do you not think it's a tad unfair of us to turn around and ascribe those characteristics to a sub group?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Why are you banging on about travellers? Is it some weird form of Tourettes?

I can't say I'm surprised by any of these reports, it is exactly the same way a lot of Irish act at home. They are "on the piss" so anything goes, can be seen every weekend in every town in Ireland so what else is going to happen when these same **** fly off somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭circadian

Edmonton is a good place to and make decent cash for a year or two, provided you're willing to put in some hard graft.

This is more likely to attract people with that intention who in turn don't care about behaving as they'll be away soon.

If you aren't working in the energy/construction sector there I'd suggest heading elsewhere if it bothers you. Also, winter is coming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Not in the least bit obsessed. Amused that the sins that are thrown at us abroad are the ones we throw at a certain community here while being outraged that anyone would say it about us. We are the drunken fighting Irish, do you not think it's a tad unfair of us to turn around and ascribe those characteristics to a sub group?

In fairness, most travellers I know don't drink at all, at least not as much as us settled folk. They do love to fight though, which you can't deny, surley?

I worked in Australia for a couple of years in my 20s. I was working with a "Big 4" firm so it wasn't your typical working holiday visa experience.

When I first started, what really pi$$ed me off, was a lot of my Australian colleagues' stereotypical views of the "paddies". After a few months out there, I wouldn't even bother trying to defend the Irish, because to be frank, the Aussies were right.
    This post is amusing. I was in the pub last Thursday talking with the barman. This barman is Canadian he had a visa for Ireland and spent 6 months working in galway as a barman.
    Anyway he was telling me the Irish, as far as a lot of his bartrade colleagues think now, are worse than the Australians for drinking rudeness and arrogant behaviour.

Anyway I started the thread as a bit of a rant. I could tell some stories of what I have seen but that's not the point.
    I am really just wondering why they do it? They don't behave as badly back in Ireland.
    Why do they think this behaviour is OK?

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Why are you banging on about travellers? Is it some weird form of Tourettes?

You seem upset by the reference.

Are they drinkers and fighters? Is this touching a nerve or something? You are the second poster to get upset by the fact that I merely point out that what others see in us, we see in a certain minority of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

No everyone acts the ****. There is plenty of highly skilled Irish working in the City, NYC, SF etc. We are the second most presented nationality on boards of directors in the City. A lot of us are doing incredibly well for ourselves, you just dont see it in the media. The highly educated and hard working, dont have time for a holiday visa in Oz. They did an employable degree in college and got the job they deserve.

Honestly when you move abroad for work, the best thing you can do is not hang out in Irish bar and just spend time with Irish. I find Dubliners dont have a need to go to Irish bars and only have Irish friends, like people from the country seem to do. Dubliners on J1s tend to be fairly different to the country crowd on J1s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

This post is amusing. I was in the pub last Thursday talking with the barman. This batman is Canadian he had a visa for Ireland and spent 6 months working in galway as a barman.
    Anyway he was telling me the Irish, as far as a lot of his bartrade colleagues think now, are worse than the Australians for drinking rudeness and arrogant behaviour.

Anyway I started the thread as a bit of a rant. I could tell some stories of what I have seen but that's not the point.
    I an really just wondering why they do it? They don't behave as badly back in Ireland.

Why so serious, ey? I'm not your buddy, friend!

This post is amusing. I was in the pub last Thursday talking with the barman. This batman is Canadian he had a visa for Ireland and spent 6 months working in galway as a barman.

I an really just wondering why they do it? They don't behave as badly back in Ireland.

The heavily State sponsored advertising for the Irish identity to be associated with booze. That's why they do it. That "identity" produces a twisted notion of "Irishness", I mean, how could it not? What other nation brings the "leader of the free world" AKA the president of the United States to publicly down a pint of Guinness in a dingy pub and this event is a "celebration" ? Nowhere except here.

circadian wrote: »
    Edmonton is a good place to and make decent cash for a year or two, provided you're willing to put in some hard graft.

This is more likely to attract people with that intention who in turn don't care about behaving as they'll be away soon.

If you aren't working in the energy/construction sector there I'd suggest heading elsewhere if it bothers you. Also, winter is coming.

Oh I know that. I have been here a year and quite like the winter.
    I work with one of Albertas finest.
    An alco by anyones definition, a long arrest record and gets into a lot of fights.
    The thing is I would rather go drinking with him than these Irish gob****es I am talking about.
    I am just wondering why these people don't try to fit in to the country they moved to? It's not about denying who you are its more about being a guest in a country and adapting to where you are.
    Has Ireland raised a bunch of assholes? And where do these attitudes come from?

Pedro K wrote: »
    Why so serious, ey? I'm not your buddy, friend!

Already corrected.
    And its eh.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    No everyone acts the ****. There is plenty of highly skilled Irish working in the City, NYC, SF etc. We are the second most presented nationality on boards of directors in the City. A lot of us are doing incredibly well for ourselves, you just dont see it in the media. The highly educated and hard working, dont have time for a holiday visa in Oz. They did an employable degree in college and got the job they deserve.

Honestly when you move abroad for work, the best thing you can do is not hang out in Irish bar and just spend time with Irish. I find Dubliners dont have a need to go to Irish bars and only have Irish friends, like people from the country seem to do. Dubliners on J1s tend to be fairly different to the country crowd on J1s

I know and would give the same advice to any traveler don't hang around an Irish bar.
    I didn't and don't. I got to meet Canadians and other nationalities by doing so.
    Irish bars can be fun but not full-time.
    My main problem is that this reflects badly on all of us.
    As explained earlier I am more wondering why this attitude persists?
    Maybe I didn't notice it as much at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I dont come across it much in London to be honest and I have been here 8 years. Dont really hear people complaining about it either. I think it may be because a lot of Irish come to work in London with the intention of starting a career. I think you have problems in the U.S, Aus and Canada because people go on visa's for a year or two which seems to be an excuse to have an extended drunken holiday.

Playboy wrote: »
    I dont come across it much in London to be honest and I have been here 8 years. Dont really hear people complaining about it either. I think it may be because a lot of Irish come to work in London with the intention of starting a career. I think you have problems in the U.S, Aus and Canada because people go on visa's for a year or two which seems to be an excuse to have an extended drunken holiday.

I did think that was a reason for it but a lot or nearly all the Irish here would be looking to stay permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Got sick of them in Toronto and new York,a mate of mine told me "watch out for your own kind"....how right he was.

Advertisement