Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acting the **** abroad

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

OP, ten years ago a friend who was in charge of student residences summer letting, was instructed by his boss not to allow any Irish to stay at the residences at the University of Toronto because of the name the Irish had for black-guarding of all descriptions.

May have changed since though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

ComfortKid wrote: »
    If you conduct yourself when you're full of booze the same as you would when sober then why drink at all? Isn't the whole point of drinking to get merry, socialize,sing a few songs and have a laugh in general?

You can get drunk without acting the bollocks.

Amazingly enough, you can socialize, sing and have a laugh without being drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Billy86 wrote: »
    No, they would rather do what the eejits sitting in the same pub during the UFC McGregor card there a few weeks back were up to (in Toronto), chanting "F**k the queen, f**k the queen, f**k the queen" over... and over... and over... and over, between and during fights and interviews. Despite there barely even being any English fighters on the card.

Of course, they did stop to try and pick a few fights with the locals the table across from them after being politely asked to stop blocking all the TVs by standing up all the time (usually for a sing/clap-along of the always witty "f**k the queen", which was every 5-6 minutes without exaggeration). I'm still amazed the bouncer didn't kick them out, as they had to be told to stop acting like kids no less than 7 or 8 times through the night. And then one of them left a lovely present by p*ssing on the couch in their booth and ripping the upholstery beneath it, probably because they were jumping up and down on the thing all night long.

No doubt these are probably the same f***ers who go home complaining that the Canadians are "no craic", mean spirited, must have something against the Irish from their experience (because Canada is of course the home of racism! :D ), etc etc. I say that because the majority of people who complain about that stuff in Australia would be right there, in the blink of an eye, up on the couch chanting "F**k the queen, f**k the queen, f**k the queen" gleefully as a Canadian loses to an American in a really close, hard fought fight.

Reminds me of Galway on Superbowl weekend. My friends and I would go to a pub showing it. It just so happened to fall during the Galway Rally weekend. One year we were kicked out before the end of the game because somebody got bottled. Another year, we just left because the Rally crowd were shouting crap at the TV about being F&gs, booing through the National Anthem at the start and F*ck the Yanks and all of that crap.

Also Rory MacDonald is the f*ckin man. He showed how tough he was. He was amazing.
    heldel00 wrote: »
    I might get shot for saying this but...
    the only upside of the recession,in my end of the country, was that it drastically reduced the number of $hitheads we had.
    Few of them got brave and packed up their bags, throngs of them followed. Peace and quiet at last to have a drink on a Saturday night or to even go in to collect a takeaway on a Sunday evening without the usual verbal barrage of dung from the "big men".
    Unfortunately, they just became someone else's problem.

I moved over to the US in 2012...from about 2011-2014. I didn't see a single boy racer. Then I went to Vancouver...it's amazing. They even pick the same sh1tty ass VW Golfs and Honda Civics over there that they do back home. I don't know about in Canada but where I am...the Golf is considered the hairdressers car and is actually called the Rabbit. Subarus have a whole other reputation that I won't get into.

Now, I was back in Ireland a few months ago. Unfortunately, it seems like those a-holes are back again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Schwiiing wrote:

You can but it's always more fun with a few pints.
    What is the point of going to the pub at all then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Schwiiing wrote: »

Don't see that happening too often!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

ComfortKid wrote: »
    You can but it's always more fun with a few pints.
    What is the point of going to the pub at all then?

No one has successfully answered that for me yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

I think it's the drink. I have friends from the US and they've told me that we really have an extra gear or two when it comes to boozing.

Not something to be proud of unfortunately. Anything stupid I ever did was a result of binge drinking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

heldel00 wrote: »
    I might get shot for saying this but...
    the only upside of the recession,in my end of the country, was that it drastically reduced the number of $hitheads we had.
    Few of them got brave and packed up their bags, throngs of them followed. Peace and quiet at last to have a drink on a Saturday night or to even go in to collect a takeaway on a Sunday evening without the usual verbal barrage of dung from the "big men".
    Unfortunately, they just became someone else's problem.

Well, yes and no. Still plenty scumbags around. A lot visas require degrees now is the thing. But I have come across a lot out where I was in the Far East. They spent Paddies day in the Irish bar bragging about the IRA and their bombs. Sick. Americans eating up that rebel ♡♡♡♡ of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

yesto24 wrote: »
    So I am living out of the country for nearly the last year and have settled for now in western Canada.
    It's good, the people are nice and the society works. The politicians are as thick as are and the economy is heading for a bust like ours did but that's for another forum.
    So I spend a lot of me free time in pubs. Have got to know a lot of people in the bar trade and observed a lot.
    Make no mistake Irish people are wearing out the welcome we had. I know this has been coved about Australia already, I have never been to Australia or witnessed this so could not comment. But for here in Edmonton I have seen it and it pisses me off.
    So after hours what is it that makes the paddys act the **** abroad?
    And no I do not hate my country or my fellow Irishman before that is thrown at me by a rabid patriot. I do hate assholes and people who play up the stage Irish paddy.

That is absolutely horsesh!t.

I'm in Vancouver over 2 years and that is complete and utter bollocks. Irish people that move here tend to further their careers here and integrate into society. If we want to go to the f*cking pub during our free time and have a bloody laugh then why not? You think Canadians hate us because we like to go to the pub? I could judge them for being coked and stoned out of their heads all the time (a LOT of them do it), but what someone does on their free time is their business.

I've met many other Irish people here and while they do go drinking a lot or whatever they don't go wrecking houses and causing fights. Absolute marzipan you are talking. Either that or Edmonton is full of clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

Kev_2012 wrote: »

I'm in Vancouver over 2 years and that is complete and utter bollocks. Irish people that move here tend to further their careers here and integrate into society. If we want to go to the f*cking pub during our free time and have a bloody laugh then why not? You think Canadians hate us because we like to go to the pub? I could judge them for being coked and stoned out of their heads all the time (a LOT of them do it), but what someone does on their free time is their business.

I've met many other Irish people here and while they do go drinking a lot or whatever they don't go wrecking houses and causing fights. Absolute marzipan you are talking. Either that or Edmonton is full of clowns.

Calm down. Take a deep breath and read what I posted again.
    I never said all. I was quite clear that I was talking about a minority.
    I also never said it was the drinking was the problem I said the behaviour was.
    The Canadians are starting to hate us because of poor behaviour by a minority of Irish gob****es.
    I was asking what do other people think this behaviour is down to.
    It is happening. Don't believe me come to Edmonton and see it for yourself.
    They will not show any Irish internationals in my local pub after the carry on of some of fellow Irish at the Ireland Poland euro game last march.

• Advertisement

yesto24 wrote: »
    Calm down. Take a deep breath and read what I posted again.
    I never said all. I was quite clear that I was talking about a minority.
    I also never said it was the drinking was the problem I said the behaviour was.
    The Canadians are starting to hate us because of poor behaviour by a minority of Irish gob****es.
    I was asking what do other people think this behaviour is down to.
    It is happening. Don't believe me come to Edmonton and see it for yourself.
    They will not show any Irish internationals in my local pub after the carry on of some of fellow Irish at the Ireland Poland euro game last march.

I'll go with the later so that all the post-Australia apes are heading to Edmonton. I hope they stay away from here! That's stupid, stopping to show the games. What are they at like? The pubs here always show our soccer, rugby GAA and UFC matches and events

Kev_2012 wrote: »

I'm in Vancouver over 2 years and that is complete and utter bollocks. Irish people that move here tend to further their careers here and integrate into society. If we want to go to the f*cking pub during our free time and have a bloody laugh then why not?

Oh look, it's one of those people you were talking about.

Rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

It's not all pubs. I know it is in the one I like to drink in.
    I asked the manager about it. In his words as a man with Irish ancestry "I know they are my people but no. No games its just not worth the trouble"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

This certainly seems to be the epicenter of the Edmonton vs Vancouver showdown

conorh91 wrote: »
    This certainly seems to be the epicenter of the Edmonton vs Vancouver showdown

I wonder who's gonna apologize the best, eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wright wrote: »
    I wonder who's gonna apologize the best, eh.

Nobody apologises and acts polite like Albertans; :mad: :mad:

Saw-ree. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I'm in oz coming up on 8 months and when aussies hear I'm Irish, a lot of the time there's a friendly joke thrown in somewhere about booze or that. I'm not doing the typical Irish backpacker thing -I'm in a good job, I avoid Irish pubs like the plague and I live with Aussies rather than a house load of Irish but I see enough eejits around the place too. I've a good circle of aussie mates now and its playful slagging (pissed up paddy etc)

Thankfully Melbourne isn't as bad it seems as Sydney or Perth.

It needs to be said again, there are a LOT of young Irish down here doing very well for themselves - its the minority acting the idiot giving the rest a bad name, and in general we are well regarded (my experience anyway).

Go to London and tell me all Aussies behave like angels abroad, every nationality has their fair share.

EDIT: The rugby world cup in a month will be interesting to see how the Irish behave over here - the Irish games will be on here in the middle of the night and bars are already promoting they'll be showing the games (not just Irish bars)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Candie wrote: »
    Too many Irish people seem to believe they're universally loved just for being Irish, and that people overlook their drunken antics because they're just fun-loving Irish people, having the craic. Some people just have no self awareness, but luckily they're in the minority. Shame everyone gets tarred with the same brush though.

Yeah. I don't think this is the case. It's not that the people that rum amock do so because they think people love them because they're Irish and will overlook it. It's because they couldn't care less what people (particularly people that don't know them) think. Most of them would be the exact same in ireland, on a weekend to a different county, to one degree or another, so that theory kind of goes out the window.

The guys and girls that wreck they're rental accommodation in San Diego for example, are the same ones that wrecked their student accommodation in Dublin or Cork.

Perpetual children that had mammy and daddy wipe their bums, and pay their way for them too long and are then let lose in the world with no sense of what it is to be an adult, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There is a film called Kings staring Colum Meeney adapted from a paly kings of the Kilburn high road that a good examination of the issue,.

Paddy o Gorman made a radio piece about Irish builders in German and its probably 20 or 25 years ago, essentially he asked the question why some went at it head down learned German avoided Irish clicks and pub and some didn't and spent their time drinklng in Irish pubs and mixing with other Irish people.

The Irish drinking culture has to be at the heart of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

df1985 wrote: »
    I'm in oz coming up on 8 months and when aussies hear I'm Irish, a lot of the time there's a friendly joke thrown in somewhere about booze or that. I'm not doing the typical Irish backpacker thing -I'm in a good job, I avoid Irish pubs like the plague and I live with Aussies rather than a house load of Irish but I see enough eejits around the place too. I've a good circle of aussie mates now and its playful slagging (pissed up paddy etc)

Thankfully Melbourne isn't as bad it seems as Sydney or Perth.

It needs to be said again, there are a LOT of young Irish down here doing very well for themselves - its the minority acting the idiot giving the rest a bad name, and in general we are well regarded (my experience anyway).

Go to London and tell me all Aussies behave like angels abroad, every nationality has their fair share.

EDIT: The rugby world cup in a month will be interesting to see how the Irish behave over here - the Irish games will be on here in the middle of the night and bars are already promoting they'll be showing the games (not just Irish bars)

The Aussies in London is a good point. However I find Aussies there to be very good humoured and well behaved drunks. Living in London you'd see guys get on the tube with tinnies, drunk but not boisterous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

OneOfThem wrote: »
    Yeah. I don't think this is the case. It's not that the people that rum amock do so because they think people love them because they're Irish and will overlook it. It's because they couldn't care less what people (particularly people that don't know them) think. Most of them would be the exact same in ireland, on a weekend to a different county, to one degree or another, so that theory kind of goes out the window.

The guys and girls that wreck they're rental accommodation in San Diego for example, are the same ones that wrecked their student accommodation in Dublin or Cork.

Perpetual children that had mammy and daddy wipe their bums, and pay their way for them too long and are then let lose in the world with no sense of what it is to be an adult, in my experience.

I don't know about that. My guess is this is the first time not living at home ( with the parents) for many. It's that and living abroad with no apparant consequences if you mess up.

I don't see stories of student destruction of properties in Irish papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

Living in Aus about 5 years now. It is weird but you do tend to focus on the miscreants that share your nationality. I can spot a gang of boisterous pissed up Irish lads a mile off, somehow their behaviour manages to be just a touch more arrogant and boorish than any other group of drunk dickheads.
    The 'holiday mode' factor definitely comes into play. It's not unique to the Irish by any stretch of the imagination but my god it is very bloody noticeable. I used to play gigs around Melbourne and the Irish bars would usually have some form of aggro, the Aussie bars were usually a good laugh but no air of menace at all. It got to the point I used to tell my now wife to not come to the gigs with her mates as it would degenerate into them getting groped and then abused for turning down these handsy lothario retards. Usually it was a gang of check shirt bootcut bedecked cretins and GAA Jersey ****bags trading on the accent in the hope it would mask the lack of charm, intellect or semblance of human decency.
    It's a sad state of affairs really as I've found myself, like others, cringing when I hear a gang of Irish accents until I know they aren't a gang of malcontented lunatics looking to cause grief. It makes it hard to be painted with the same brush as these goons but alas such is life. I've a good job and am looking at buying a house and having a kid, I'm not here on holidays I'm here to live. Sadly these characters are here to exist and do as they please without giving a shot about anything or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

It depends on the Irish group that is in question really, like anything some go over and make complete arse of themselves and at the minute/past few years we have been steadily growing our reputation for being idiots abroad.

But plenty of Irish people still go away and have some actual banter with the locals , chat to them , are friendly and don't need pulling out of an alleyway at all hours of the morning.

Depends on the place and what kind of Irish groups have been going to them , The English are definatly on bar if not worst though. I've been to many places in Europe and a lot of the time have been treated rudely by people/staff when they took us for being English, that changed when they found out we weren't and they saw we could actually behave ourselve even to the point of getting better seats and a couple of free drinks the odd time.

Obviously some Irish are actually awful but I've seen far more of the English on tour myself and they are nasty bunch, always harrassing people , singing ****e songs, chatting up barmaids , arragant..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

This thread is yet another reminder that abortion will be the best thing to ever happen Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

I don't know about that. My guess is this is the first time not living at home ( with the parents) for many. It's that and living abroad with no apparant consequences if you mess up.

I don't see stories of student destruction of properties in Irish papers.

You may not read those stories in the papers, but I can be in and out of several dozen student rentals in a year due to work. And I see it all the time with my own eyes. Overgrown children with mammy or daddy paying the rent making absolute sh1te of places. Broken windows, months worth of rubbish built up, holes kicked in the walls, doors torn off presses etc. It's a regular occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was in a nightclub Saturday night for the first time in about 10 years, the amount of "hardmen" looking for a row was unreal.

If the young fellas abroad act the same then it's no surprise people are getting sick of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Most of the scummy activity seems to be centered in Australia and the US which shouldn't be too much of a shock.

A lot of the less well educated, uncultured individuals tended to emigrate to these countries due to their lack of language skills.

Aidric wrote: »
    Most of the scummy activity seems to be centered in Australia and the US which shouldn't be too much of a shock.

A lot of the less well educated, uncultured individuals tended to emigrate to these countries due to their lack of language skills.

Ahem.

A good bit of brush tarring there. Northern California is crawling with highly educated Irish and British people working in IT, Irish accents are frequently heard in Wall Street, or the financial centres of Boston and other large cities. Not all immigrants from Ireland are uncultured or ill educated.

A lot of the reputation is gained by J1'ers, not the more permanent immigrants.

Wright wrote: »
    Oh look, it's one of those people you were talking about.

Rude.

I'm one of those people? Nah pal, I just very strongly disagree with what the OP said about Irish in Canada, then realised that perhaps it's a bit different in AB than BC.

I don't like messy behaviour or making us look like clowns abroad but also, I still do enjoy having a laugh and our version of having a laugh is different to theirs. For example, I was at an xmas party a couple of years ago that started at 7.30 and finished at 10 and everyone went home. I'd much rather go a bit wild and have a laugh than be boring and go home at a child's bedtime.

There is a lot of things that make us unique and people find it fun in my experience but I can also see how others can view it negatively. For the UFC, we were all singing and that when McGregor won and the Canadians were having a great time because it just doesn't happen here, but then you get some other Irish that look and say "Oh look at those drunken fools making us all look bad", that drives me insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Aidric wrote: »

That's a load of bollocks now in fairness, someone with a degree can be a scumbag as well and kick someone's head in when full of beer.

Advertisement