Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acting the **** abroad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Uriel. wrote: »
    The question I would have is whether the "paddies" are acting the **** abroad, or whether they are acting like they would be at home, but such actions just don't fit into the relevant culture in which they presently find themselves..?

most likely. no one bats an eyelid here

a constant state of 'holiday mode' adding to it as well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Other than being everyone's favourite ethic group, I never noticed anything special about the Irish people in Austria, poor integrators alright but no worse than other English speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I get more annoyed when you see Irish people abroad looking and taking the mick out of things around them because it's weird or abnormal to them so the only thing they can do instead of appreciating or trying to find out about it is look and laugh or look perplexed.

This occurred to me in Budapest where there was a delightful local dance festival going on and instead of looking at the goddamn thing and taking it in "the lads" mimicked the dance moves and laughed among each other. Idiots like that should never leave Ireland. Also I think if you live in a society and make no attempt of integration it's a waste of time going to another country. As for the booze thing I think alot of it is done to the fact that alot of tradesmen are going to these countries and in general they tend to love benders with the lads. Also the thing about country folk being different to Dublin folk as regards drinking. Very very true in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

There are annoying people from every nationality. I understand that it might lead to people not wanting to rent to Irish people or give Irish people jobs but has anyone stopped for a minute a thought about how terrible that is?

Why judge a whole nationality at the one time?

Yes, Irish people shouldn't act up abroad but people shouldn't tar everyone with the same stick either.

I met a guy from 'Belfast' in China last year and he was acting the big man for all the Americans and I just told him to cop himself on. He shut up after that. The only thing that you can do if you encounter Irish people abroad that you don't like, do the same as you would if those same people were at home. Be that avoid them or tell them to cop on.

If people are judging you as a group then that's the problem of the small minded person doing the judging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I have to laugh at how delusional at least 3 posters on this thread are regards etiquette between Dubs and non-Dubs with the implication that the dubs are altogether more civilized/less rowdy.Only last night,my local pub suffered a pit stop from Dubliners on a stag party who managed somehow to convince themselves that they were great craic altogether by shouting English soccer chants to a young girl serving behind the counter.Just because you are from the biggest village in Ireland doesn''t automatically give you a greater sense of decorum than your country neighbours.

Years ago,I used to do a bit of Doorwork in Killarney,and my impression was that Irish people,when on holidays seem to think that the normal codes of etiquette are suspended whilst on holiday-they do a hell of a lot of things they wouldn't dare do in their local.So,unfortunately,when I hear Irish accents in a pub in Stockholm,my gut reaction is to stay quiet and keep speaking Swedish to the barman,at least until you get to see how they act after a few pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Last 25 years or so I have the had privilge of going all over Europe with St Pats fans and we have had ****ing brilliant trips. A group of up to 200 people on the piss for 3 days and we have never had a single issue with anyone.

Can only assume emigration wnkers are just that wnkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When i lived in Japan, I worked with a lot of people from all parts of the English speaking world.

I think that being away from their own country - especially if the stay abroad is a temporary one in the sense that they will eventually return home and leave their expat life behind them - does result in some people feeling they are free to unleash their inner tosser.

It certainly isn't limited to the Irish though.

crockholm wrote: »
    I have to laugh at how delusional at least 3 posters on this thread are regards etiquette between Dubs and non-Dubs with the implication that the dubs are altogether more civilized/less rowdy...

Dubs on holiday should be avoided at all costs.

If the source is 2 or 3 middle aged men with moustaches, bottle blonde wives and kids going feral in the hotel bar the early hours of the night, run, throw yourself out the window, anything to get out of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Lol, we have a doorman, a barman, and an op who hangs around in pubs in his spare time, perspective may be slightly askew

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Haven't met any Irish where I am. I don't go out to Irish pubs, though...maybe there are some here. Not sure.

I've been to San Diego a few times. The Irish students have definitely got a bad reputation there.

Was talking to a lad in Sydney that was born and raised there. He said there was an Irish pub called Scruffy Murphys that had a reputation for being the place to go to pull easy Irish 'chicks'. When I was in Australia, the Irish hadn't worn out their welcome yet...not sure if it's true or not but it seems like they may have by now according to the people on this site.

I was only there for 2 weeks. The amount of stories about racially charged attacks was unreal. Mostly young Muslim men. I didn't expect that. I had an Asian Taxi Driver and asked him about the abuse...he started telling me stories and said the Australians are bad people. An Australian lad I met in Ireland told me they have a special hatred for the Lebanese...

I'd hate to be there when\if their economy tanks. I'd bet due to the sheer numbers of Irish there to work. They will become a prime target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Was over in Liverpool last week, now I know it's a haven for stag partys but the behaviour of some Irish lads in the pubs was ridiculously messy and embarrassing. In one pub we were in they dropped and smashed 5 glasses in the space of a half hour. They were really obnoxious to all the women intimidating them and wouldn't take no for an answer.

Some eejits think hopping on a plane gives them the right to act like idiots.

**** that, go out drink your brains out and if the locals don't like it f*ck them, they don't know what craic is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

For a lot of these Irish abroad it's the first time away from mammy and daddy so they think they can do what they like. Also nowadays any type of Irish person can afford a plane ticket abroad so of course you will get knackerish behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

**** that, go out drink your brains out and if the locals don't like it f*ck them, they don't know what craic is.
    :rolleyes:

if the locals dont like it f*ck them

Such an (unsurprisingly) ignorant attitute to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

It's the drinking culture in this country of a specific age group. The government haven't done enough (anything) to reign it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Look at those people over there having fun, the cheek of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

buried wrote: »
    But whose fault is that? We got a heavy racket/lobby group here on this island called the vintner federation who demand their racket be state sanctioned protected, advertised and functioned as the only mainstream social outlet for our community. It is not the Irish peoples fault. Its the fault and cowardice of successive governmental policy and the greediness for their electoral fundage.

Bulls^$t who is to blame its the people who act that way. You have responsibiliy so take it and stop blaming everyone else. THAT IS THE MAIN PROBLEM HERE ITS ALLWAYS SOMEONE ELSE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Bulls^$t who is to blame its the people who act that way. You have responsibiliy so take it and stop blaming everyone else. THAT IS THE MAIN PROBLEM HERE ITS ALLWAYS SOMEONE ELSE

Absolutely. What ever happened to personal responsibility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

buried wrote: »
    But whose fault is that? We got a heavy racket/lobby group here on this island called the vintner federation who demand their racket be state sanctioned protected, advertised and functioned as the only mainstream social outlet for our community. It is not the Irish peoples fault. Its the fault and cowardice of successive governmental policy and the greediness for their electoral fundage.

no one forces people to drink, we have to stop blaming the government for everything in this country.

Liamario wrote: »
    It's the drinking culture in this country of a specific age group. The government haven't done enough (anything) to reign it in.

The 15-75 year old group?

Let's face it, the drinking and fighting thing was going on for decades. I remember fights in the local disco with knuckle dusters back in the 80s. And then everyone drove home rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Of course they don't.

It's quite simple, respect the laws and customs of the country *you* are in. Don't like it, don't visit.

*Not just you, but anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Oddly, the Irish who tend to visit Europe are generally well received. I have nothing against the English, but go to France, for example, as an Englishman and you'll get a very decent reception to going there as an Irishman. Most of this you hear is about lads who have gone to Australia and Canada for some reason. Perhaps its to do with them generally being young lads who are earning decent money and are away from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

exactly the kind of attitude the English lager louts have on holiday, and we know how much the locals in spain, greece etc love them. every time I am in spain, I have come across instances where bouncers and people who work in bars and clubs have asked if I am English, then once I say no Irish, they react in a positive way, we don't want to thought of as the same as the English abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Sure we're only havin' the craic.

Very Bored wrote: »
    Oddly, the Irish who tend to visit Europe are generally well received. I have nothing against the English, but go to France, for example, as an Englishman and you'll get a very decent reception to going there as an Irishman.

I guess we didn't beat them at Agincourt or buy all of Normandie and the Dordogne...

exactly the kind of attitude the English lager louts have on holiday, and we know how much the locals in spain, greece etc love them. every time I am in spain, I have come across instances where bouncers and people who work in bars and clubs have asked if I am English, then once I say no Irish, they react in a positive way, we don't want to thought of as the same as the English abroad.

That's only because they don't know how alike we are, or when they see a group of English speakers drinking, fighting, urinating on the street etc. assume they're English and don't know it's just as likely to be our lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Being young and free in a foreign country with plenty of money - i wouldn't blame people for getting drunk and enjoying themselves.

Plenty of worse things they could be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

If you act like an ***hole you get treated like one, no matter where you go.

I don't like stereotyping any nationally because I don't like been stereotyped myself. I hope op is getting on well over?

jamesbere wrote: »
    I don't like stereotyping any nationally because I don't like been stereotyped myself.

Sure they're all mad for fighting back in Beara!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

I guess we didn't beat them at Agincourt or buy all of Normandie and the Dordogne...

As Rachel said on Friends "I don't think anyone is angry about the Louisiana Purchase anymore".

The things your cited are not the reason modern French people, and gross generalisation here I know, don't like the English. Its because of the behaviour, and here is another generalisation, of the English tourist abroad.

Advertisement