Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BrewDog Bar Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Thanks for that

Doubt I'll be going near the place now, €7 for lost lager! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Underwhelming suppsies for launch weekend. Eye watering prices. A tourist trap, sadly.

Doubt the likes of Paddy in Underdog feels threatened by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

They have a 15% stout? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

maximoose wrote: »
    Thanks for that

Doubt I'll be going near the place now, €7 for lost lager! :pac:

What were you expecting exactly?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Effects wrote: »
    Full tap list:
    LOL at BrewDog's first four "friends" being sock puppets, with a fifth BrewDog-brewed beer further down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

nc6000 wrote: »
    They have a 15% stout? :eek:

Not cheap at €5.85 for a third of a pint.

I'll probably go along to try the two stouts, earlyish on Friday before it gets too busy.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

chef wrote: »
    There's a bridge to Ringsend just 200 feet away, via the canal bridge first that leaves you into the heart of the Village

Little chance the locals will be paying €7 plus per pint in my opinion

That's true, but I wouldn't fancy crossing it while tipsy!

Not that I'd be getting overly tipsy on those prices though... :pac:

In any case, that bridge isn't much good for getting over to the Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jaysis those prices are nuts. Even with my 10% discount it’s a tough sell. The location is a killer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Due to open for regulars at midday Friday.
    28 beers on tap. €7.25 for a pint of Punk.

Go. And. ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Not cheap at €5.85 for a third of a pint.

I'll probably go along to try the two stouts, earlyish on Friday before it gets too busy.

I didn't spot the 1/3 of a pint bit. Very expensive. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah, some are half pint and some are a third. Had some imperial stouts in the Big Romance a few weeks back, it can end up expensive.
    I'd rather drink stuff like that at home, but will give it a shot to see what the place is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭simonw

€7.25 for a pint of Punk.

That must be the most you'd pay anywhere in Dublin for a punk ipa? And they are brewing it on-site?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

€7.25 for a pint of Punk.

That's even more expensive then any of the BrewDog bars in London, where it's £6 for a pint of Punk IPA in any of the ones that I've been in.

simonw wrote: »
    And they are brewing it on-site?
    No: the brewery on-site, when it gets going, will be doing small-batch one-offs. That Punk is exactly the same mass-produced version sold in Wetherspoon and Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If a 3rd of a pint is €5.85, that works out at €17.55 a pint!

They must secretly laughing at anyone stupid enough to pay those prices?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BeerNut wrote: »
    No: the brewery on-site, when it gets going, will be doing small-batch one-offs. That Punk is exactly the same mass-produced version sold in Wetherspoon and Tesco.

Does someone with a better knowledge of the small brewery half excise rules (better than me - e.g. you :p) know if the ownership by a larger multinational excludes the Dublin kit from that?

The Nal wrote: »
    It's not sold by the pint, it's not meant to be consumed by the pint, so a per-pint calculation is daft. Nobody calculates wine prices like this, so why do it for a wine-strength beer?

It's a shame they're sticking to restrictive UK measures even though they don't have to in Ireland. Third-pints aren't fun. Even 250ml would be an improvement.
    L1011 wrote: »
    if the ownership by a larger multinational excludes the Dublin kit from that?
    I think so. Under the 2005 Finance Act the applying brewery must be "legally and economically independent of any other brewery".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The Nal wrote:

It's a 15% stout though. I've paid €15 for a 330ml bottle of a similar abv. It's not something you'll go on a session with.

The Nal wrote: »

If you think 6 euro is a lot of money I don't think the craft beer bars in northern or western Europe are for you. There are plenty of options in Dublin for cheap alcohol already.

Underdog have a 5.6% pale ale on at the moment at €9 for 330ml.

Ballso wrote: »
    If you think 6 euro is a lot of money I don't think the craft beer bars in northern or western Europe are for you. There are plenty of options in Dublin for cheap alcohol already.

Underdog have a 5.6% pale ale on at the moment at €9 for 330ml.

The underdog tax is ridiculous though.

• Advertisement

What's ridiculous about it? I visit regularly, stay an hour or two, sip some interesting beers and have the chats, my bill usually comes to about 20 quid. If that model doesn't suit you go somewhere else.

The business model for these bars isn't lads sitting there drinking six or seven pints at a time. Things have moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Underdog have the same profit margin for every beer they tap. The cost of the keg is what dictates the price of the beer not the management, as some people might believe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Some of the prices are crazy, others seem fine. Alot of their "headiners" are overpriced IMO, but then maybe it shouldn't matter to me as very few of their headliners I would ever buy. There are a few on the other side I wouldn't mind giving a try, so I may call in if ever in the area but that is unlikely enough.

So it's just a case of adding on a percentage to the cost of the keg?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So it's just a case of adding on a percentage to the cost of the keg?

The two basic methods of pricing products are either a % or fixed margin per sale; and the latter would not be common in pubs.

Promotional pricing etc makes this muddier than it just being "put XX% on a keg and divide by volume" a lot of the time; but its an underlying basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

L1011 wrote:
    Its 4.45 in JDW on Abbey Street. 63% increase!

Yes. And in Wetherspoon it comes with free nibbles of middle-aged sadness and anti-EU sentiment.

Ciaranis wrote: »
    Yes. And in Wetherspoon it comes with free nibbles of middle-aged sadness and anti-EU sentiment.
    There's no anti-EU sentiment visible in Irish Wetherspoons.

I don't get the hate for JDW. Yes, some of their establishments across the water are very rough around the edges, but any of their places over here are grand. The gripes people have against them are pretty petty and seem to be niggly just for the sake of being niggly.

"There's no craic / it's too sterile" - I don't know about you, but I go to the boozer with my mates and generate our own craic and atmosphere. Even if you were drinking in, say, The Long Hall on your own, it wouldn't exactly be a great buzz.

"middle-aged sadness and anti-EU sentiment" is a new one, though, I must admit.........Kudos.

Underdog and GBB bars take the absolute piss with pricing because they know they can and their fanboi regulars will still defend them.

GBB bars and Underdog were charging €11+ from 330ml of Wicklow Wolf Pointy Shoes.

Half pint in Dead Centre in Athlone is €5.

• Advertisement

Underdog and GBB bars take the absolute piss with pricing because they know they can and their fanboi regulars will still defend them.

GBB bars and Underdog were charging €11+ from 330ml of Wicklow Wolf Pointy Shoes.

Half pint in Dead Centre in Athlone is €5.

Well drink in dead centre in Athlone then and spare the rest of us your bitter whinging.

Christ, between the moaning about JDWs cheapness attracting the wrong crowd and other bars being too expensive you'd think these were the only options.

Advertisement