Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BrewDog Bar Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

The price whining is something else. Ireland has the cheapest craft beer in western europe, at least based on my own excursions. Comparing a place like Underdog that has a constantly changing beer list on dame street to some place in Athlone does no one favours.

Even Berlin has become more expensive in the NEIPA wave of things.

My problem with brewdog is that their beers are average at best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

snowblind wrote: »
    Really? Their absolutely best beers are no better than average? I'm no fanboy but they can turn out some very decent stuff, IMO. Last night I had the Islay version of Paradox and the Cosmic Crush Peach sour ale. Neither was the world's greatest beer but they were both superb.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Really? Their absolutely best beers are no better than average? I'm no fanboy but they can turn out some very decent stuff, IMO. Last night I had the Islay version of Paradox and the Cosmic Crush Peach sour ale. Neither was the world's greatest beer but they were both superb.
    Yeah I've never had a top tier beer by them. The paradoxes & the BA stouts are a far cry from the best I've had in those styles.

The margins in the top tier are super small & top tier BA stouts & barley wines are hard to find in Europe. For hoppy stuff, sours etc Europe is doing quite well now.

I don't rate Mikkeller either. Something can get lost when you do nanobrew style beer in higher volumes & leading with brand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Is everything not in the top tier either average or worse?

Is everything not in the top tier either average or worse?
    Well that's tricky.

I'd say that if it's priced as top tier and it's lacking, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Also as I said in some beers the margins between "top" and "average" are incredibly tight. A gueuze that doesn't have the carbs at least 96% dialed in is gonna "suck". A BA stout with everything else done right but the body is a bit too light to handle the process is gonna be average.

The world of hoppy beers & lagers is much more forgiving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

snowblind wrote:

Big fan of Jackhammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Very impressed with Cosmic Crush that ended up in the supermarkets over here.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just to put the Brewdog pricing into perspective, I was charged €7.10 for a pint of Chieftain in The Old Stand last night. Chieftain is a grand, drinkable beer, but it's not something that's worth paying what I'd consider a premium price for. Given the choice I'd rather pay the extra 15c for a pint of Punk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just for reference, this is the menu and prices in a UK outlet

0I1QgNv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I would have presumed the core range would be cheaper because of the higher production and turn over but €7. 25 for punk, and not even the punk of old, is hard to swallow.

I can't see myself bothering now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Acosta

The only good thing about Brewdog was 5am saint before they changed the ingredients.

As for the price, if you're going out drinking craft beer for the night in Dublin it's not far off the price of a night out in Zurich.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Acosta wrote: »
    The only good thing about Brewdog was 5am saint before they changed the ingredients.

They changed all the core range iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Last night I had the Islay version of Paradox

I found that one interesting, but a bit too smokey for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

As a non drinker I was looking forward to it opening. Love the location and Nanny State and PUNK AF on tap so popped in.

Lovely bar, be back again.

Initial, poor bar staff, over charged on the two occasions I went to the bar. Seperate bars and even when I pointed it out, basic maths, at one point I was told, sorry man thats what the till says...

Wine, one price on menu, one size, go to pay, charged another price and the explainer is its a larger glass.

Didnt know they let dogs in, wouldn't bother me and doesn't. Only a group sat at table beside and the dog *stank*. Over powering. Guess the owners are used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The price whining is something else. Ireland has the cheapest craft beer in western europe, at least based on my own excursions. Comparing a place like Underdog that has a constantly changing beer list on dame street to some place in Athlone does no one favours.

Even Berlin has become more expensive in the NEIPA wave of things.

At least based on my own excursions.

Just for clarity.

You are wrong. Your own excursions evidently are limited.

Do they sell beers other than their own? I don’t think I’d ever go into it considering the location regardless, but maybe if they were doing something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do they sell beers other than their own? I don’t think I’d ever go into it considering the location regardless, but maybe if they were doing something decent.

There is an entire Guest section on the taplist; although some of them on the photo from last week were a bit spurious as to be actual guests! Always have some, as well as usually some collabs and plenty of stuff that doesn't make it to regular retail sale.

Its not just Punk/5AM/Dead Pony basically.

Do they sell beers other than their own?

Yes. Take a look at the picture of the range they sell, a few pages back.

Effects wrote: »
    Yes. Take a look at the picture of the range they sell, a few pages back.

I went back to 19 from 25 and seen nothing. No big deal anyway, it looks too much like a ‘space’ rather than a pub and the area is too desolate and dangerous up there. But it would maybe be an option for a larger group from work or something depending on how busy it’s going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I wonder have they picked that location as it’s very visible on the way in from airport on the bus?

Same in Brussels- brewdog is slap bang beside the central train station and prime visibility for tourists.

• Advertisement

I wonder have they picked that location as it’s very visible on the way in from airport on the bus?

I would seriously doubt they picked it based on getting business from tourists spotting it on the other side of the river as they pass by on a bus.

I went back to 19 from 25 and seen nothing. No big deal anyway, it looks too much like a ‘space’ rather than a pub and the area is too desolate and dangerous up there.

Here it is: https://imgur.com/NjqUtcJ

The area isn't really dangerous to be honest. A bit soulless alright.
    It's a different kind of pub compared to Irish traditional standards alright.
    It's definitely worth a try though.

listermint wrote: »
    At least based on my own excursions.

Just for clarity.

You are wrong. Your own excursions evidently are limited.

Well at least I've explained myself unlike you. Can you tell me what you're thinking or are you gonna just shout WRONG like some orange headed politician?

I'm talking Belgium, Netherlands, Berlin, Stockholm, Helsinki, London, Copenhagen, Barcelona, several cities in Italy.

But sure go off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

I wonder is this the only place in dublin you can get 5am saint on tap now?

Loved that beer when it came out and a few pubs over the years used to get draught kegs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I wonder is this the only place in dublin you can get 5am saint on tap now?

Loved that beer when it came out and a few pubs over the years used to get draught kegs in.

Used to be a great beer. It’s a shadow of its former self now, unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well at least I've explained myself unlike you. Can you tell me what you're thinking or are you gonna just shout WRONG like some orange headed politician?

I'm talking Belgium, Netherlands, Berlin, Stockholm, Helsinki, London, Copenhagen, Barcelona, several cities in Italy.

But sure go off

Ireland doesn't have the cheapest. I shouldn't have to explain it further. Just because you visited some bankers bars in some cities doesn't mean squat.

Our prices are more than the majority and compatible to the top. You are wrong. Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Jasus even London is cheaper for pints of pretty much anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

At Mods: can we keep thread on all things Brewdog! how have people experienced Outpost Dublin so far? what is the food like? If you dont want to pay the price thats your choice but for most we interested in the choice of brewdog has on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ipodrocker wrote: »
    At Mods: can we keep thread on all things Brewdog! how have people experienced Outpost Dublin so far? what is the food like? If you dont want to pay the price thats your choice but for most we interested in the choice of brewdog has on offer.

When discussing a new bar, is value for money not a reasonable thing to discuss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Paid a visit to the new Brewdog bar yesterday evening, great to see a real craft beer pub, no macro beer taps at all, fantastic! I had a pint of "Jet Black Heart" and the "Chip Hazard" was nice too, sampled a black IPA also, lovely!

The interior is funky, the music is Rock, staff were friendly and knowledgeable and I didn't have to wave my arms or try furiously to catch the eye of one of the barstaff to get served, they let me sample 3 beers before I settled on my choice..

I didn't order food but everything coming out of the kitchen looked great, pizza's burgers, wings, the staff moved fast so I'd say you'd have your food fairly soon after ordering...

Upstairs was huge also, the loo's even had video's showing the brewing process!

Most of the beers are higher in alcohol so the prices aren't low, however apart from more taxes on beers with higher alcohol content, I see the prices as a way to also maintain a certain clientele....

Overall, very impressed, can't wait to go back... The area is buzzing during office hours, after that the office workers can head for a few beers in a nice place, and I feel much safer walking back along the quays than I would walking down O'Connell street at night...

Advertisement