Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BrewDog Bar Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

When discussing a new bar, is value for money not a reasonable thing to discuss?

nothing wrong with discussing value for money.

just interested how people here found experience and are the pints better than elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Paid a visit to the new Brewdog bar yesterday evening, great to see a real craft beer pub, no macro beer taps at all, fantastic! I had a pint of "Jet Black Heart" and the "Chip Hazard" was nice too, sampled a black IPA also, lovely!

The interior is funky, the music is Rock, staff were friendly and knowledgeable and I didn't have to wave my arms or try furiously to catch the eye of one of the barstaff to get served, they let me sample 3 beers before I settled on my choice..

I didn't order food but everything coming out of the kitchen looked great, pizza's burgers, wings, the staff moved fast so I'd say you'd have your food fairly soon after ordering...

Upstairs was huge also, the loo's even had video's showing the brewing process!

Most of the beers are higher in alcohol so the prices aren't low, however apart from more taxes on beers with higher alcohol content, I see the prices as a way to also maintain a certain clientele....

Overall, very impressed, can't wait to go back... The area is buzzing during office hours, after that the office workers can head for a few beers in a nice place, and I feel much safer walking back along the quays than I would walking down O'Connell street at night...

awesome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Is it dog friendly? I'm always looking for new places for a pint and some wings to tease the hound

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

griffdaddy wrote:
    Is it dog friendly? I'm always looking for new places for a pint and some wings to tease the hound

Yes it is !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

griffdaddy wrote: »

I can confirm that it is, bring you dog no problem....

• Advertisement

Ah great. Lots of places are dog friendly these days but few of them have such a big menu

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Just a note not to give your dog the bones of the wings. Unless you are talking about the missus, then it's fine....

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Ah great. Lots of places are dog friendly these days but few of them have such a big menu

Does your dog know about the prices? :)

Ballso wrote: »
    Does your dog know about the prices? :)

He's the type to nurse the one pint all evening and take up space. He'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Nothing better than a dog in the pub IMO

Defo an irrational fear worth treating :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Zaph wrote: »
    That's a pity, I probably won't be paying a visit so as my wife has a bit of a phobia about dogs. I love them myself, but I don't necessarily want a pub full of them either, especially if it's at all wet outside.

I only seen one, and after i'd noticed the lady carrying her pet I didn't see them again... The place is huge by the way so you're not likely to feel surrounded by our four legged friends...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I only seen one, and after i'd noticed the lady carrying her pet I didn't see them again... The place is huge by the way so you're not likely to feel surrounded by our four legged friends...

Yeah im kinda give or take on dogs in places like this.
    But as I said in previous post, we were upstairs, furthest point in window overlooking the river and three arena when 3 people and a dog came in and I wouldn’t have known only my wife bolted a bit (not a dog person) so I was like ‘meh’ the dog seemed to sit up on the couch and not bother anyone, but then it hit me. The stale smell of dog was very strong and heavy. It didn’t lift at all. They ordered food but if we had had food I would have moved table it was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

I popped in last night for a pint and thought the place was nice if a bit out of the way. I'd a pint of Punk IPA which was OK but maybe not as nice as ones I had in a Wetherspoons at the weekend which cost less than €4 versus €7.25 in Brewdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BKWDR wrote: »
    Yeah im kinda give or take on dogs in places like this.
    But as I said in previous post, we were upstairs, furthest point in window overlooking the river and three arena when 3 people and a dog came in and I wouldn’t have known only my wife bolted a bit (not a dog person) so I was like ‘meh’ the dog seemed to sit up on the couch and not bother anyone, but then it hit me. The stale smell of dog was very strong and heavy. It didn’t lift at all. They ordered food but if we had had food I would have moved table it was that bad.

There's nothing worse than dog owners thinking dogs are great but the dog smells like it hasn't gotten a wash in a month. And yes the smell stays.

Sitting up on the couch in the pub next to customers.

I'm for animals but they should stay in the floor and perhaps there should be an area for then not a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ipodrocker wrote: »
    what is the food like?

I went to the opening. Friend had the beef burger, which he liked. Fries were nice too.
    I had one of the seitan burgers, which was nice and tasty but not quite hot enough when it came out.

We had a bunch of stuff to taste, drinks wise, but stuck with ordering 'Guinness' that day as it was code for free Jet Black Heart.

Tokyo Death was off the menu that day, due to a cooler issue, but looking forward to trying that on my return.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

nc6000 wrote: »
    I'd a pint of Punk IPA which was OK but maybe not as nice as ones I had in a Wetherspoons at the weekend which cost less than €4 versus €7.25 in Brewdog.

You can’t really compare discount offer pricing like that. A pint of Punk in Wetherspoons is €4.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Effects wrote: »
    A pint of Punk in Wetherspoons is €4.45.

It varies. €3.75 in Blackrock and DL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'd be the last to moan about prices myself and I'll still pop down from time to time if there is anything interesting on in the imperial bracket but that price for Punk and the imperial measures (not least for something already available in bottle) is taking the piss slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Was there last night, a big barn kind of like a middle class Wetherspoons, my girlfriend ordered a burger at 14.50 and was shocked that it didnt come with fries they were 3 so 17.50 in total, it was average and the fries were poor, there is nothing that Porterhouse or Galway Bars dont offer at better quality and price. I had their stout which was ok. We live 10 mins away but wont be back, it seems it will be popular with young, well off professionals who work beside it.

€3.50 for a pint of Punk in 'spoons in Cork last time I was in, and brewdog aren't selling to them at a loss. A €3.50+ tourist tax per pint is excessive. Even Brewdog pubs in Nottingham and Glasgow were very reasonably priced. Love the beer, but no way I would pay those premiums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jesus Christ. €14.50 for a burger without fries. The boom is back baby.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Can't really compare, but I did pay £7.87 (€9.25) for a Pint of Punk IPA and a 12" Pizza in Wetherspoons in the UK on Wednesday. :eek:

I'll try and pop into the new Brewdog in Dublin over Christmas, they're always more expensive compared to a normal bar, but you're paying for the booze, the experience and premises and all that jazz. Kinda expected for opening a bar in that location. I've been to a few different Brewdog pubs in different places and it fits in with their usual jam.

Boom or no boom, no fries with a burger is just mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

listermint wrote: »
    Ireland doesn't have the cheapest. I shouldn't have to explain it further. Just because you visited some bankers bars in some cities doesn't mean squat.

Our prices are more than the majority and compatible to the top. You are wrong. Simple
    Give some examples then. I can give examples to explain myself regarding all the countries I listed. You haven't listed anything or given any examples. Looks like you have nothing yet you keep shouting "wrong!". Doesn't instil trust in your message. Simples.

snowblind wrote: »
    Give some examples then. I can give examples to explain myself regarding all the countries I listed. You haven't listed anything or given any examples. Looks like you have nothing yet you keep shouting "wrong!". Doesn't instil trust in your message. Simples.

Give it a rest. You named a few countries which means nothing I've been to half the ones you mentioned and we are still more expensive. This is getting boring .

In fairness, everyone living and working in that area is absolutely swimming in money so the might as well see can they charge as much as possible.

Jasus even London is cheaper for pints of pretty much anything

We're talking about craft beer aren't we? You can get cheap samuel smiths stuff and many others but once we talk about proper craft beers in bars like Underdog that get the recent top craft beers on rotational taps, it appears not to be like that.

The Craft Beer Co is a popular chain there. Let's see - first rotational beer in their Covent Garden beer list I have had in Dublin is Dancing in the Mooblight by Northern Monk.

Craft Beer Co. 5£ (5.9€) for a 1/3 pint. 17.7€ / pint.
    In Underdog which last weekend I had a 330ml for 7.95€. 13.7€ / pint.

another one from the list:
    Death By Caribbean Chocolate Cake - 21.84€ / pint in Craft Beer Co, 15.4€ / pint in Underdog.

Both british beers. Maybe actual facts matter more than what it feels like, eh?

Give it a rest. You named a few countries which means nothing I've been to half the ones you mentioned and we are still more expensive. This is getting boring .

It is getting boring because you cannot give any examples. It's very easy to do actual comparisons like I did above and can do it if you have specific examples you think fail what I said.

snowblind wrote: »
    It is getting boring because you cannot give any examples. It's very easy to do actual comparisons like I did above and can do it if you have specific examples you think fail what I said.

Your pulling expensive pubs out of your arse to make a point.

I'm not bothered because you'll do it again.

Your pulling expensive pubs out of your arse to make a point.

I'm not bothered because you'll do it again.

Of course you're not bothered because you have no leg to stand on.

There was whining especially about Underdog, we're talking about craft beer.

I'm comparing like to like. Seems like a sensible thing to do.

edit: for what it's worth I know a pub in Dublin that sells Trouble's Ambush for 5€ a pint. So if we're looking at the cheaper craft options in regular pubs, it's lowest I've seen for an independent brewerys NE style pale ale going in western europe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A pint of Plain:
    Porterhouse Temple Bar: €5.60
    Porterhouse Covent Garden: £5.40

I can't think of a more direct comparison.

Advertisement