Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BrewDog Bar Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

People talking about 1/3 pints - isn't the measure actually 33cl, which is 1/3 litre (or just over half an imperial pint)?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Ciaranis wrote: »
    People talking about 1/3 pints - isn't the measure actually 33cl, which is 1/3 litre (or more than half an imperial pint)?

I included a link to the beer menu. 1/3 pint means 1/3 pint :rolleyes:

Maybe the sizes confuse how people calculate value. Strong and/or pricey beers are often sold in smaller measurements in other countries. When underdog had cantillon on draft, it was in 33cl which is wild since anywhere else it's usually 20cl

snowblind wrote:
    I included a link to the beer menu. 1/3 pint means 1/3 pint

Thanks for your ungracious response to my question and sorry for not committing to memory every minute detail of this long thread. I wasn't even referring to any post of yours specifically.

Are third pints common in Irish craft bars? Nearly always 33cl in bars I go to (at least as far as I've copped)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Are third pints common in Irish craft bars?
    No, only the UK chains do them, because they're buying their glassware and programming their tills centrally.

Thanks for your ungracious response to my question and sorry for not committing to memory every minute detail of this long thread. I wasn't even referring to any post of yours specifically.

Are third pints common in Irish craft bars? Nearly always 33cl in bars I go to (at least as far as I've copped)
    Well I just provided the answer from my part, sorry about that, I guess I'm not a gracious person

Haven't seen many third pints around no. A lot of the time they use metric measures when not going simply pint or half. Big romance for example go with pint / 400ml / 330ml / 250ml

78422210_1010442452636656_1405262768960962560_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQnK4RpYjanEx8HpOsERSH743QZd-nBxOmbLKad8tm8Jo-P2B5ea7BFTAAJ4Pa0TZ0o&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=96440b4a416de27d13cde017d9e63e87&oe=5EACBC41

• Advertisement

Smaller measures can be good. I was in the Underdog this summer and they had a bunch of very strong and sweet stouts ~ 13% and above. Even when sharing, 330ml was a lot for single order.

BeerNut wrote:
    No, only the UK chains do them, because they're buying their glassware and programming their tills centrally.

snowblind wrote:
    Well I just provided the answer from my part, sorry about that, I guess I'm not a gracious person

You provided an answer and added an unnecessary eye roll.

BeerNut wrote:

I personally wouldn't be interested in ordering anything smaller than 33cl. Preferably a pint to really get a developing sense of a beer. Though admittedly there are rich beers for which a pint would be a struggle.

It's illegal to serve a 33cl measure of draught beer in the UK, so the glasses aren't commonplace there. Two-thirds of a pint is the nearest.

BeerNut wrote:
    It's illegal to serve a 33cl measure of draught beer in the UK, so the glasses aren't commonplace there. Two-thirds of a pint is the nearest.

Weird. Any idea why it's illegal?

• Advertisement

Weird. Any idea why it's illegal?
    It's a consumer protection thing: you always know what you're getting. Originally beer had to be in pints or half pints. Thirds came later, and then two-thirds more recently after lobbying by, funnily enough, BrewDog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Love me some 3rd's. Everything the UK does in terms of beer is 17 million times better then we do back home.

I have never been so spoiled for choice.

Northern Monk bars are as expensive as the brewdog ones and most independent bars selling their stuff are always cheaper.

Also its not chains but every taproom that does 3rd's. Chains probably too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

RasTa wrote: »
    Love me some 3rd's. Everything the UK does in terms of beer is 17 million times better then we do back home.

Ah here, UK beer? really?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Ah here, UK beer? really?

Yeah. More so in regards to selling it. The peasants in Ireland are forced to drink out of a plastic cup for whatever reasons. Unheard of over here.

I actually feel sorry for how limited your beer drinking options are back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah. More so in regards to selling it. The peasants in Ireland are forced to drink out of a plastic cup for whatever reasons. Unheard of over here.

??????

I’ve never drank out of plastic unless I was at a concert, both here and in Britain.

listermint wrote: »
    ??????
    I’ve never drank out of plastic unless I was at a concert, both here and in Britain.

More so alltech and the RDS one. I hear White Hag one is glass.

I can buy a can in the UK version of Fresh, crack it open inside and drink away.

Most bottleshops have 5 or 6 draft lines. Every brewery has a taproom where you can buy direct or drink in the brewery.

You don't need an overpriced publican license to sell booze, it's a heaven over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

More so alltech and the RDS one. I hear White Hag one is glass.

I can buy a can in the UK version of Fresh, crack it open inside and drink away.

Most bottleshops have 5 or 6 draft lines. Every brewery has a taproom where you can buy direct or drink in the brewery.

You don't need an overpriced publican license to sell booze, it's a heaven over here.

Bottleshops.. are you in Australia. And do you even know the theme of the thread. You seem to be going on a rant about beer festivals.

listermint wrote: »
    Bottleshops.. are you in Australia. And do you even know the theme of the thread. You seem to be going on a rant about beer festivals.

UK.

Yeah theme of the thread is that brewdog is rubbish along with UK measurements.

Doesn't matter how many bars open in Ireland until brewery's can sell their beer direct. You should be able to rock down to Whiplash and have a few 1/3rd's.

Drinking out of plastic? In a pub? I don't think I've ever seen that save for festivals, matches etc.

Had a weekend in Manchester recently, couldn't get over how bad the beer options were in pubs. Stella and Carling seem to be the consistent brands, after that the "craft" options were things like Camden Pills, or Diamond, can't imagine any of them are ever gonna be sold outside England for good reason

• Advertisement

Drinking out of plastic? In a pub? I don't think I've ever seen that save for festivals, matches etc.

Had a weekend in Manchester recently, couldn't get over how bad the beer options were in pubs. Stella and Carling seem to be the consistent brands, after that the "craft" options were things like Camden Pills, or Diamond, can't imagine any of them are ever gonna be sold outside England for good reason

lol, Manchester is the best beer city in the UK. Not my fault you went to chains.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Where is serving in plastic?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Where is serving in plastic?

Those typical Irish pubs like the 3Arena, Marlay Park, Slane, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The only pubs I've been served in plastic have actually been in the UK; rigid washable tumblers in some extremely busy late bars.

lol, Manchester is the best beer city in the UK. Not my fault you went to chains.
    Was well aware of the reputation it has, that wasn’t chains I was seeing those in, places like Piccadilly Tap that were wellregarded, give me the Irish beers over Camden/Dismond beers They serve anyway.

Was well aware of the reputation it has, that wasn’t chains I was seeing those in, places like Piccadilly Tap that were wellregarded, give me the Irish beers over Camden/Dismond beers They serve anyway.

Stop lying.

Anyway you could have went to Bundobust, Northern Monk, Beatnik republic and Port Street beer house within a 5min walk from that place. Let alone another 20 places I could mention in the city.

EMPq02zXsAIGDPl?format=jpg&name=small

EMOuPw_WwAE2-XO?format=jpg&name=small

Most of the beers aren’t as good though, so basically that’s just a big wall or writing.

Most of the beers aren’t as good though, so basically that’s just a big wall or writing.

Not his point, whatever you think of the beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I have never been so spoiled for choice.
    The peasants in Ireland are forced to drink out of a plastic cup for whatever reasons. Unheard of over here.

Sounds like you left Ireland in 2001 and haven't been back since. You have no clue what you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Mod: Alright lads, can we bring the conversation back to talking about BrewDog please.

Advertisement