Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog 20-Sept – a Late-season Climbing Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Well done everyone.

I had a man card to do the spin but due to a lack of sleep last night and running on 50% I decided not to do it as it was no easy spin IMO.

I ended up being the fella with the Camera at the top of the featherbeds when yis were coming up the Cunard climb. I also caught a fair few people coming up the Ballyknockan climb too.
    I'd have got more on that climb bar I decided to pop to a local shop for a coffee while waiting there.

That "local" shop turned out to be in Blessington. By the time I got back I had missed a fair few, including Mr Ash

Got most of the cyclists going up the Cunard climb bar about 7 when my camera had a hissy fit :/

Ended up having a great day out, I had savage craic with a lot of the people doing the cycle. Would've prefered to have been suffering on the bike though :/

That aside what was the story with the fella in the N. Roche gear? Anyone?
    I think he was Nico. Said it on his shirt. ;)
    When will you be posting the pics? I'd say you caught some serious gurning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mgbgt0_0

Some shots from today
    Feel free to share or use
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133249831@N04/albums/72157658874412241

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Doc07

Great day despite the miserable weather at the end. Well done to the organising club and all the volunteers. Burger at the end was much appreciated.

Made it round in reasonable time but I suffered badly from cramp on the last 20k or so. A gent of a Boardsie waited for me and kept me company for the latter part of the spin.
    I think it's a great route although I missed a turn near the end and clocked 131km. Nice to do some climbs at the start I wouldn't normally venture up. Only downside to so much early cling is the field was shattered to pieces early on and there wasn't a chance to get a peleton going on any of the flatter sections. I did a bit of work with one or two guys along the way. Hit a new record speed of 77km on Seehan descent.

Finally met the famous Wishbone Ash. I was the guy asking you about the evil 200 in the Orwell jersey.

So all in all a great event and hope it becomes a fixture on the calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

Whose that in CCC kit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Oryx wrote: »
    Special mention of the crazy looper marshal at the finish, dancing with happiness in the middle of the road. Made my day :)

I was driving back in from my last marshal point and I saw him moonwalking up the N81. Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

Well done reservoir cogs on a great day out, would type more but I'm too wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

Did the second half with Doc07, missed turn was my fault, added an extra 5km in the rain to his trip, sorry about that.

Met Wishbone Ash as well,.
    Good day out and weather held up until the end. Passed out on the couch now.

mgbgt0_0 wrote: »
    Some shots from today
    Feel free to share or use
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133249831@N04/albums/72157658874412241

Any photos of the PUPs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

omri wrote:
    Whose that in CCC kit ?

Orange one? Not many of these around, very likely the chap I helped to source it from Poland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Great day out today, got a bit held up this morning so just got there in time for the start so never got to see anyone beforehand, there were 4 of us from Headstrong and we'd decided to stick together for the day so I had a lovely touring ride around, met some old pals and some new faces, we seemed to always be somewhere in the middle of the group from Virginia CC, nice lads and ladies.

The first climb was a shock to the system, so soon into the spin but after that I got going OK, took my time and admired the view, with a bit of waiting round to regroup we were slow enough but no harm in that.

Well done to the Cogs, I would have hoped there would have been a bigger turnout but given the other stuff on today and the forecast this morning it wasn't bad I suppose, the organisation and marshalling was to notch, plenty of grub and a lovely atmosphere, one for next year again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mgbgt0_0

omri wrote: »
    Any photos of the PUPs?
    Pictures from the Pup here
    https://www.facebook.com/Cycling-Photography-1459024894392825/timeline/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That was a very enjoyable sportive. Exceptionall well organised. Kudos to Reservoir Cogs CC and all their volunteers especially the friendly teenagers at Russborough House.

It was nowhere near as challenging as I expected. No real steep bits. I was expecting lots of little horrors that never materialised.

Apologies to everyone near me who had to experience my 'clicking' bottom bracket. I was mortified! :o It's a new bike but there seems to be a problem with the bearings bedding in! I'll have to bring it back again!

Ended up with 203k and 2800m of climbing. Got soaked to the skin on the return to Dublin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/396393570
    ...That aside what was the story with the fella in the N. Roche gear? Anyone?
    Was wondering about that myself!
    Doc07 wrote: »
    ...Finally met the famous Wishbone Ash. I was the guy asking you about the evil 200 in the Orwell jersey...
    Thud wrote: »
    ....Met Wishbone Ash as well....
    Nice to meet you lads! :) (Disappointing lack of Boardsies kit out there today!)
    omri wrote: »
    Whose that in CCC kit ?
    He's a Polish lad. Met him at Corcagh Park before. Full Dura Ace groupset cought my attention. :cool:

He's a Polish lad.

Not the one I think of then, mine is Irish :)

He's a Polish lad. Met him at Corcagh Park before. Full Dura Ace groupset cought my attention. :cool:

Have a neighbour with similar kit wonder if thats him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Nice to meet you lads! :) (Disappointing lack of Boardsies kit out there today!)

:(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I was gifted the best set of witsup kit so had to leave my boardsie stuff at home. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

The man in the Orange CCC gear in those photos isn't Polish. He's in Orwell though.

sullivlo wrote: »
    The man in the Orange CCC gear in those photos isn't Polish. He's in Orwell though.
    Possibly more than one? The chap in the pics looks much older!

Possibly more than one?

This one looks like my man! :D (not 100% sure, I normally see him in civil clothes)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133249831@N04/21383095230/in/album-72157658874412241/

Alek wrote: »
    This one looks like my man! :D (not 100% sure, I normally see him in civil clothes)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133249831@N04/21383095230/in/album-72157658874412241/

The kit is a good match for the colour of his bike anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

My two cents.
    Great event, well organised, well marshalled, great and demanding course.

Food at the end was great. Facilities were great. Water stops and food stop at Laragh were great. Loads of people helping out making it all very easy.

Hadn't cycled over 60k since July so wasn't sure how I'd get on and sure enough I really struggled after about 100k. That road around the lakes was torture. Not sure if there was a headwind, the road surface or just my legs were gone but I had nothing left and it was simply a case of getting by one pedal stroke at a time.

Great time to have it, the rest of the year is choc of events but at this stage this is almost the last so a great end to the season.

Well done to all involved, a big thank you from me for providing a great challenge. Hope all the effort that was needed doesn't put you off doing it again next year so I can give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

Great event, well organised and a terrific route.
    There was a guy with a drone at various points around the course. Does anyone know where footage will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

nilhg wrote: »
    Great day out today, got a bit held up this morning so just got there in time for the start so never got to see anyone beforehand, there were 4 of us from Headstrong and we'd decided to stick together for the day so I had a lovely touring ride around, met some old pals and some new faces, we seemed to always be somewhere in the middle of the group from Virginia CC, nice lads and ladies.

The first climb was a shock to the system, so soon into the spin but after that I got going OK, took my time and admired the view, with a bit of waiting round to regroup we were slow enough but no harm in that.

Well done to the Cogs, I would have hoped there would have been a bigger turnout but given the other stuff on today and the forecast this morning it wasn't bad I suppose, the organisation and marshalling was to notch, plenty of grub and a lovely atmosphere, one for next year again.

That was us..8 of us headed down from Virginia TCC,

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Thanks for all the positive feedback folks, glad you enjoyed the day - despite the weather in the afternoon! I've added some photo links over on the webpage, and will add more as I get them. Drone footage will also be forthcoming soon - will post here once available.

You'll be glad to know that we plan to do it all again around the same time next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

I was gifted the best set of witsup kit so had to leave my boardsie stuff at home. :)

dang that was you gliding up the climbs out of laragh, I kept your buddy company as we slogged on up in your after burn.

That was us..8 of us headed down from Virginia TCC,

Hope the picture I took for ye up at the Sally Gap came out OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Well done everyone that took part. I was marshaling in 3 places yesterday but I would have been one of the last marshals you would have passed and all bar one were in great form despite the worsening weather. One rider roared something at me on the way by, clearly not happy about something but everyone else well done for being in great spirits. Maybe it was the sight of the N81 and knowing how close you were to home.

Now who was the boardsie that I went over to talk to in the hippodrome at about 8:15 trying to fix a rattling noise on your bottle cage?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

nilhg wrote: »
    Hope the picture I took for ye up at the Sally Gap came out OK.

Yes..perfect thank you

...Now who was the boardsie that I went over to talk to in the hippodrome at about 8:15 trying to fix a rattling noise on your bottle cage?
    That would have been myself! Nice to meet you laraghrider. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I think he was Nico. Said it on his shirt. ;)
    When will you be posting the pics? I'd say you caught some serious gurning!!

They are now linked to on the http://thereservoirdogsportive.ie/ page.

I'm just a bloke with an old camera, not a photographer.

That was an outstanding kit, quite unusual and you looked great.

Made me wonder where people get some of their kits from and what the bleedin' hell they are from ala club/event/weirdness! The Giveblood.ie one was good too.

I'm still not sure what that N. Roche kit was all about. It defo wasn't him.

Advertisement