Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog 20-Sept – a Late-season Climbing Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Will have to wait for the All Ireland semi winner to be decided....

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Entered. First sportive in 5 years....looking forward to this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Anyone doing the 50?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

kuro_man wrote: »
    Anyone doing the 50?

Im considering it and riding over and back from my place, will bring it up to 110k.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

A lad from our club did this route last week on his TT bike (sounds nuts, I know, but he's training for a 1/2 Ironman). He said it was a great, if tough route but the hill that hurt him most was the little kicker into Ballyknocken beside the Lake about 10km from the finish! It's worth keeping a bit in reserve for the rolling road along Lake Drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Registered today and have just realised the Virginia 300 is on the day before! Some serious brownie points to be earned between now and then if I do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

Are ye lads making up a jersey for sale at this?

Your club one is class.

siochain wrote: »

Your club one is class.

Thanks Siochain, our club jersey does draw comments alright! No Jersey planned for this year's Reservoir Dog Sportive. Good idea for future years maybe if people like the logo? We will have other Reservoir Cogs freebies for every rider on the 20th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Your club one is class.

You can also get a jersey by joining the club...:rolleyes:

are you always this helpful ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Corker1 wrote: »
    A lad from our club did this route last week on his TT bike (sounds nuts, I know, but he's training for a 1/2 Ironman). He said it was a great, if tough route but the hill that hurt him most was the little kicker into Ballyknocken beside the Lake about 10km from the finish! It's worth keeping a bit in reserve for the rolling road along Lake Drive.

To be fair to ending is filled with little kickers. Once you come off the road that comes down off sally gap you're over the Ballysmuttan bridge and up the hill. That has potential to really hurt people. The rest of the lakes most on here know are rolling but the Ballyknockan hill is a nice one to have so late in the day when your legs haven't had a rest in quite a while. The good news is once you turn right towards Lacken it's pretty flat all the way home.

I did the first part of the route a couple of weeks back, very difficult but easily doable with the right pacing.

Your club are organising a cycle to raise funds for a worthwhile local charity yet you think it's appropriate to belittle a potential customer. I'm sure Reservoir Cogs CC are proud of you.

Your club one is class.

There will be a prize draw closer to the event for online entrants with some nice prizes donated by our host venue Russborough House. I'll check if we can include a Reservoir Cogs Club jersey(s) as a prize also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Your club are organising a cycle to raise funds for a worthwhile local charity yet you think it's appropriate to belittle a potential customer. I'm sure Reservoir Cogs CC are proud of you.

I'm sure kuro_man didn't mean it in the context it was taken up. No the smilie of choice didn't help matters. Of course joining the club is one way to get a jersey albeit it can be an expensive way and why would you join a club that is possibly no where near you. I'm sure it wasn't the intention to belittle siochain and soichain please don't take it that way. We welcome all and every cyclist to take part in what should be a great day out for a very worthwhile cause.

As Corker1 said there is no jersey planned for the event this year as it is the first time we've ran it so quite possibly this is an idea to bring over for next year should this one turn out to be a success.
    Corker1 wrote:
    There will be a prize draw closer to the event for online entrants with some nice prizes donated by our host venue Russborough House

Top prize as donated by our host is an original 1755 piece (complete with frame) entitled 'Lady in drag' that formed part of the Beit Paintings. Could look great over your fireplace.

I'm sure kuro_man didn't mean it in the context it was taken up. No the smilie of choice didn't help matters. Of course joining the club is one way to get a jersey albeit it can be an expensive way and why would you join a club that is possibly no where near you. I'm sure it wasn't the intention to belittle siochain and soichain please don't take it that way. We welcome all and every cyclist to take part in what should be a great day out for a very worthwhile cause.

As Corker1 said there is no jersey planned for the event this year as it is the first time we've ran it so quite possibly this is an idea to bring over for next year should this one turn out to be a success.

Top prize as donated by our host is an original 1755 piece (complete with frame) entitled 'Lady in drag' that formed part of the Beit Paintings. Could look great over your fireplace.

its hard to belittle me face to face never mind someone behind a keyboard :)

looking forward to this event and if takes off an option to buy an event jersey in the future would be a nice addition. Best of luck lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I like the route,will be tough alright!! Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Signed up now. I have a feeling I will regret this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Signed up now. I have a feeling I will regret this :)

I'm already thinking up my excuses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

Signed up for this for a laugh. Don't think I've broken 70km yet this year but determined to complete one event! Don't worry anyone who thinks they'll be last, you'll have my company! :) Looking forward to hopefully trying some hills I see there that I haven't been up before!

Happy to report that online entries are picking up nicely now with three weeks to go. Places on the event are limited so sign up soon online to bag your place. Plenty of entries for the 125km Dog route, not so many for the 50km Pup route yet. So if you don't have the miles or climbing in the legs to ride the 125km on 20th September then the 50km is a nice circuit with a few small climbs thrown in for interest that might suit you.

• Advertisement

With just over a week to go to the event we have been busy with preparations. A couple of things have been arranged to revive cyclists after their efforts. There will be hot food provided to riders at the finish in Russborough included in the entry fee. Catering is being provided by the company that run the Restaraunt at Russborough, Brambles. We will also be laying on physios to provide free massages at the finish to ease out tired legs and backs after all those climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Any idea how many people are doing the 125km route?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

still not sure if I can make this, is it likely to fill up, when does registration close?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

Hiya - I already feel rested after 100km GDBR yesterday and hungry for more pain - I suppose the 125 is a no go but 50km should be feasible right...?

Update: went for the safe option and just booked the 50km route. Anyone cycling to the start from South Co. Dublin and doing the 50km let me know we could form a breakaway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Would have done this but for a pre arranged trip to Cardiff for the rugby. If I hadn't shelled out hundreds already i think I'd abandon my plans. :D

Good luck to all on the day and here's hoping the weather behaves. :)

.... and here's hoping the weather behaves. :)
    The long range forecast is giving some light rain, temps between 9 and 12 degrees and a light south westerly. I'll take that in comparison to some of what we've have had lately.

coach22 wrote: »
    Any idea how many people are doing the 125km route?

It's hard to tell at this stage how many are doing the 125km Dog route as we are still taking online registrations and riders can sign on, on the day. But the majority of online entries are for the 125km route. There are a lot of people who enjoy their climbing!

Thud wrote: »
    still not sure if I can make this, is it likely to fill up, when does registration close?

Online Registration is open until Saturday Lunchtime Thud. I'll know the exact cutoff time this evening after an event prep meeting. Riders can also sign on, on Sunday morning from 7.30am onwards. Obviously the more that register online the better as it gives us a good idea of food requirements etc. and makes sign-on run quicker for everyone. Either way you are welcome for are great day out around the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Corker1 wrote: »
    Online Registration is open until Saturday Lunchtime Thud. I'll know the exact cutoff time this evening after an event prep meeting. Riders can also sign on, on Sunday morning from 7.30am onwards. Obviously the more that register online the better as it gives us a good idea of food requirements etc. and makes sign-on run quicker for everyone. Either way you are welcome for are great day out around the hills.

Any chance you could provide the route in a readable, non strava format? Just written directions really.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    Any chance you could provide the route in a readable, non strava format? Just written directions really.
    Cheers.

There is a detailed route description of the 125km route with turn by turn directions on the Reservoir Dog Sportive website. Just go to the event website (sorry, I cant add URLs or links as a 'new user') and click on the routes tab. If you scroll down past the maps you will come to the detailed route description for the 125km route. The 50km detailed description does need to be added though!

Advertisement