Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog 20-Sept – a Late-season Climbing Challenge

Options
  • 05-08-2015 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Announcing a new late-season sportive for those of you with plenty of summer km in your legs!

dog-sportive3.png

The Reservoir Dog is a tough 125km climbing challenge in the Wicklow/Dublin mountains, taking in 3 of the area’s reservoirs (hence the name).
    WARNING: Beware of this dog – it bites! Not for the faint-hearted.

The starting / finishing point is the spectacular Russborough House, just outside Blessington Co. Wicklow. This setting will ensure a very unique sportive experience.

There is also a 50km route – the ‘Reservoir Pup’ (naturally), taking in the Blessington Lakes and surrounding hills.

This event is being organised by the Reservoir Cogs Cycle Club, and all proceeds go to a very worthwhile local charity – the Blessington Youth Project.

Full details on the website, Facebook and Twitter. Registration is now open on Eventmaster - €25.

We are working hard to ensure this will be a very memorable and enjoyable sportive. Hope to see some of you on the day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Looks half-Evil :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Looks great - roughly how many metres climbing in the 125k route?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Here a link to the mapmyride route from their website. 2000mtrs climbing in 125km, ouch.

http://dynamic-assets.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/587890316?host_canon=mapmyride.com

Love to do this but have signed up to the Dublin bike ride the week before, not sure the war office will give leave for two weekends in a row!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This would be like 200km door2door for me. Tempting! :)

• Advertisement

Looks like a nice one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Alek wrote: »

Yep it's intended to be a tad on the sadistic side alright!
    As it's in mid-September we're hoping to attract those looking for 'one more big challenge' before the sportive season ends. Go on you know you want to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

loinnsigh wrote: »
    Yep it's intended to be a tad on the sadistic side alright! ...
    I think Alex meant that it is only in the ha'penny place compared to the Boards.ie Evil 200 - i.e. half-Evil! ;)

This would be like 200km door2door for me. Tempting! :)
    260k for me door to door - even more tempting! :cool:

EDIT: no I'm thinking Blessington start. How far is Russborough House from Blessington?

260k for me door to door - even more tempting! :cool:

EDIT: no I'm thinking Blessington start. How far is Russborough House from Blessington?

It's just 4km south of Blessington on the N81.

• Advertisement

I think Alex meant that it is only in the ha'penny place compared to the Boards.ie Evil 200 - i.e. half-Evil!

This as well, but mostly that it follows almost the same roads :)

This as well, but mostly that it follows almost the same roads :)
    It just leaves out the steep bits! :)

Sally Gap twice, Ballinascorney and Lake Drive is bad enough. In a good way :)

Sally Gap twice, Ballinascorney and Lake Drive is bad enough. In a good way :)

Don't forget the nice little climb at Glenasmole towards Featherbeds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Needs some Kippure to take the flatness out of it ;)

It's a good route. Very tempting

Don't forget the nice little climb at Glenasmole towards Featherbeds

Glassamucky (my favorite local name)? Apologies. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Nice route and good date, I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

The Manor Kilbride to the Military road section is new to me, looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Is it limited to a certain amount of cyclists?.I wouldn't know until the Sunday before about the wifes working hours and if she was off that Sunday otherwise ill have the kids.

That climb at lough bray is one of my favorites in wicklow https://www.strava.com/segments/664543

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

The Reservoir Cogs Cycling Club who are hosting 'The Reservoir Dog' were also involved in running the DSI Lap de Gaps over the last couple of years so they know how to organise a good Sportive. There were over 900 cyclists on this years Lap de Gaps. Entries on the Reservoir Dog Sportive on Sept 20th are limited to 400 though, so its a good idea to register early to ensure you nab a place on the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

nilhg wrote: »
    The Manor Kilbride to the Military road section is new to me, looking forward to this.

This section also has some of the best climbing on the event. Three hard hills between the 12km and 30km point. I love the scenery along this stretch - on nice quiet roads too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

There is some serious climbing on that route. An example being from the reservoirs up to military road.

I've come down that route.

Not for the faint hearted.

It's on my "other" list of climbs to do. The one that I throw newspapers over.

There is some serious climbing on that route. An example being from the reservoirs up to military road.

I've come down that route.

Not for the faint hearted...
    It's probably easier to ascend than descend if you know what I mean. I never descended it but I can imagine that, with the dodgy surface, there's no pleasure to be gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Signed up for this now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

Nice spicey one very tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

It's probably easier to ascend than descend if you know what I mean. I never descended it but I can imagine that, with the dodgy surface, there's no pleasure to be gained.

Went up that climb yesterday, we are in for some treat, brutally steep for most of the way from the reservoir up to the Military road. Some of the descents will be fun as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Planning on doing this, assuming SKT Waterford doesn't kill me. Did 125km* Tour of Kildare yesterday in 4 hours, this one will be >5 hours

* Including cycle to the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Ahhh crap. I had a nice long worded detailed run through the whole route typed up and clicked the back button by mistake! I'm not retyping.

I won't be taking part in it however I will be marshalling some where along the route so hope all that take part enjoy it. Please note these two sections:

1: When you've climbed up beyond the army training camp the descent towards Ballinascorney is tight with very little visibility in places due to hedges and the road can often be littered with sheep. Please take it easy on that descent. When you see a stone cross hit the brakes.

2: Shortly after point 1 you'll go down a fast but short descent down the Balinascorney road before you turn off to the right. It's a very fast section of road so you could easily over cook the turn off and miss it. The road around the reservoir tight as hell with little or no visibility and you tend not to see cars until you're almost on top of them. Please take it easy, it's a lovely rolling road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Registered there as well. Route looks good. Something to keep the motivation going

Advertisement