Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom baskets

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Toots wrote: »
    Well I suppose if they are the € shop condoms, then it might be prudent to stick a few pregnancy tests in the basket also!! :pac:

I lolled :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I think it's a lovely idea, but that Mrs2Be list is completely excessive. A first aid kit? I would expect my venue to have that on hand. There's no need for tweezers or scissors, a lint brush or shoe polish - it's just a few hours at a party, people will do grand. I would rather my guests be enjoying themselves than in the bathroom polishing their shoes!!!
    Flip flops are a great idea and I think if you're having a long day at the whole wedding shebang and dancing it out all night you really appreciate just the few things to freshen up: deodorant, wipes, some hair grips and hairspray, and a pack of Always and Tampax.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 summer_chic

I had baskets in both male & female bathrooms, and flip flops for the ladies. I kept them pretty basic, and was told off by a close friend who thought there would be no need - the flip flops were all gone early on, and people kept commenting on how pleased they were with the touch. My intention in having these little touches was not to show off, or to prove anything, certainly not to "insult" anyone with a favour, but to make a little effort to let the people who had made such a huge effort to be at my day know that I appreciated it.. Nobody expected it, but luckily enough they all appreciated it, instead of seeing it as some sort of personal affront .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

For a men's basket don't bother with the socks. I've been at a few weddings that had them and have never seen them used.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

stinkle wrote: »
    My local dollar store sells soooo much tat including $1 pregnancy tests, ovulation kits and even marijuana testing kits! Ive guests visiting this week, was so tempted to buy this stuff for the craic and leave it lying around!

Will we all go into business selling wedding basket tat?
    julyjane wrote: »
    Condoms would be good too. But please not the Euro shop ones.

Rennies and/or Motilium (or Domerid which is the same thing only cheaper) Showing my age needing things like these!

My mischievous side would probably put together a joke basket if I could get all those testing kits and other daft stuff. :P

Another idea for the basket would be body tape - that stuff is great for keeping clothes in place (obviously) but its brilliant for keeping shoes on that slip off heels and hems that are falling down. It's expensive though so maybe make sure you get it from Pennys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Interesting to read this thread. My sister is getting married next year & I've offered to put together a couple of baskets (1 each for the ladies & gents) for the day. We have exclusive use of the bathrooms they'd be in so no issue with that. I didn't realise they were such a controversial thing though! I'd only offered to do them coz I saw them at a wedding I was at recently enough & thought it was a nice touch. There wasn't a load in them - just some hairspray, deodorant, blister pads, feminine products, breath mints & nail files.

I was staying at the wedding that had them but it was easier to just pop to the loo to file that split nail I got & which was catching on my dress all the time, then go to my room. Like others have said, it's not something I'd expect a wedding or have or be annoyed if they didn't but just think it's a nice thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

It's not the bathroom baskets that are controversial, as such, it's all the trimmings that have become de rigour at Irish weddings in recent years. Some of us feel that the actual concept of a wedding celebration, ie close friends and family coming together with the happy couple to share and support them on their happiest day and enjoying a good meal together, has been diluted by the competitiveness surrounding these trimmings.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's not the bathroom baskets that are controversial, as such, it's all the trimmings that have become de rigour at Irish weddings in recent years. Some of us feel that the actual concept of a wedding celebration, ie close friends and family coming together with the happy couple to share and support them on their happiest day and enjoying a good meal together, has been diluted by the competitiveness surrounding these trimmings.

I don't see anyone being competitive here though. This is one of the saner bridal forums out there in my opinion. Nearly all posters here are prioritising their guests comfort and enjoyment of the day, being savvy when it comes to purchasing their wedding stuff right from the dress down to the hairpins in the basket, and I haven't seen a single poster who has implied that they are happy to skimp on the meal for a photo-booth. Most people want exactly what you've described - to give friends and family a brilliant time within their budget.

If anything, wedding guests are more likely to get the hump on this forum for anything from a gap between church and food to being a second round or evening only invite or other reasons. It's one of those rare forums where its mostly Guestzillas rather than Bridezillas. Some guest are justifiable in their complaints, but a fair few are just moanyholes.

When you think of it, its the first time (and in a lot of cases usually the only time) that a couple plan an event of this scale, so if there are lapses in things that they may not have though of, I'd put it down to their inexperience in large scale event planning rather than a deliberate tactic to inconvenience their guests. I'd never judge them for it.

I see things a bit differently. I've never thought a wedding I was at was diminished by any of the trimmings because I knew the couple and knew what the whole marriage & wedding meant to them. The trimmings weren't done in a competitive way at all as far as I could see but were always things the couple liked or found fun or thought would be interesting for the guests.

For example. I've been to 3 weddings from the same group of friends. All of them were very, very different & while some may have taken inspiration from others in terms of extra bits, it was all done their own way. Not to "out-do" anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

Well said Neyite and true about mostly it being guest that moan not the brides.... And yes as witchgirl has pointed out it isn't about out doing others... Thinking of the ones im planning on doing it is actually half based on what I would like on a night out and also what I think some guests might forget to bring with them or what they would like to have...

Tis to give to them, so it is nothing like saying wow look what I did. It is more incase you forgot something, here are a few bits... Cant wait to start putting them together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

Wheres the best place to pick up a selection of flip-flops?

And what selection of sizes is best to go for?

halfback5 wrote: »
    Wheres the best place to pick up a selection of flip-flops?

And what selection of sizes is best to go for?

I think my sister found some good deals looking on eBay. There were some of the sellers who offered packs that had a few different sizes in each which is a good idea. Other than that, I'd just go for medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I love the idea of bathroom baskets, I've used them a couple of times myself.
    Mine are going to include:

-Gel cushions
    -Plasters
    -Deodorant
    -Body Spray
    -Mints
    -Bobby pins
    -Hairspray
    -Hair bobbins
    -Hair Gel in the gents
    -Safety Pins

It's only coming to around €20/€25 for all the little bits, and it's a nice touch :)

I think I'd leave out the gel cushions but other than that it sounds like a great bathroom basket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Interesting to read this thread. My sister is getting married next year & I've offered to put together a couple of baskets (1 each for the ladies & gents) for the day. We have exclusive use of the bathrooms they'd be in so no issue with that. I didn't realise they were such a controversial thing though! I'd only offered to do them coz I saw them at a wedding I was at recently enough & thought it was a nice touch. There wasn't a load in them - just some hairspray, deodorant, blister pads, feminine products, breath mints & nail files.

I was staying at the wedding that had them but it was easier to just pop to the loo to file that split nail I got & which was catching on my dress all the time, then go to my room. Like others have said, it's not something I'd expect a wedding or have or be annoyed if they didn't but just think it's a nice thought.

Nice of you to do this for your sister!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chickenlicken2

Haha this reminds me of spending ages buying tat, sorting the baskets and popping them into the bathrooms for my friend's wedding.

To discover from another friend a half hour later that her little lad noticed them in the bathroom and gleefully filled his pockets before advising all other kids at the wedding to do the same. And then proudly showed her "all the free stuff from the hotel".

Actually was recently at a wedding that didn't have them. One of the girls needed a tampon (unexpectedly). This was kind of a country house type venue which didn't have machines in the loos. Saves having to ask all around the table when they are there I suppose.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Haha this reminds me of spending ages buying tat, sorting the baskets and popping them into the bathrooms for my friend's wedding.

To discover from another friend a half hour later that her little lad noticed them in the bathroom and gleefully filled his pockets before advising all other kids at the wedding to do the same. And then proudly showed her "all the free stuff from the hotel".

Jaypers I'd say she was morto!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

Was just talking to oh and he said the best thing in the men's basket is body spray and toothbrush and toothpaste - lol what? Anybody got any other helpful ideas?

Men are like we don't need anything we are men!
    I have for them

Deodorant - get two pack in Pennys well worth it
    I was going to get some Fcuk spray but well see
    Mints
    Saftey Pins
    Comb
    Hair Gel - just the reg stuff nothing fancy
    debating about condoms as there isn't any machines there, I am afraid the kids will get their hands on them though.
    Baby wipes too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Milly33 wrote: »
    Men are like we don't need anything we are men!
    I have for them

Deodorant - get two pack in Pennys well worth it
    I was going to get some Fcuk spray but well see
    Mints
    Saftey Pins
    Comb
    Hair Gel - just the reg stuff nothing fancy
    debating about condoms as there isn't any machines there, I am afraid the kids will get their hands on them though.
    Baby wipes too

You could get the lidl aftershave, smells quite nice and very cheap

Thanks I'm away today to get all that kind of stuff! Was going to get a multi pack of lollipops aswell..... too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Please do not put condoms in the baskets! Why would guests at your wedding want those??

Why wouldn't they... As others said some places don't have machines so I would prefer to maybe provide just incase. don't see what would be wrong with it...

Thanks for the tip on the Pink might try there, himself has like a few half cans I was thinking maybe they might do..

I would have a lollipop, but I don't think it would be a need...

Ah sure the baskets are not about just needing stuff, just thought it would be nice! I like the condom idea it would certainly put a smile on any man's face ☺

Why wouldn't they... As others said some places don't have machines so I would prefer to maybe provide just incase. don't see what would be wrong with it...

My opinion on this is that if they're adult males then they should already have some themselves. Either they're at the wedding with a partner or else they are looking to get off with someone. Either way I think it's solely their responsibility to provide themselves with condoms.

Yes true but still if it is a place that does not have a machine just like it doesn't have a liner machine would it not be just as handy to have them there

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

Yeesh, i find the idea of condoms in a basket to be VERY tacky (its only my opinion and I'm an oul wan so dont kill me, its no reflection on ye!!!)

As witchgirl said, I would expect men to carry those themselves really - its a bit Geordie Shore to have them just sitting out there, no?

(Once again, only my opinion, not saying the people who want them are tacky or anything like that!!)

Haha sure with condoms and lollipops someone guaranteed to have fun!! haha only messing...

Ah no I know tis each to their own really, and your not an old one everyones opinions count... My only debate with them was seeing one of the kids arrive out with like one over their head or blowing them up, I can so see it happening... Jes imagine if they arrived out to the dancefloor :) that would be one for the photo books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Jebus do not put condoms !! Surely one's wedding should have a touch of class about the day....

Actually was recently at a wedding that didn't have them. One of the girls needed a tampon (unexpectedly). This was kind of a country house type venue which didn't have machines in the loos. Saves having to ask all around the table when they are there I suppose.

I had boxes of tampons in my baskets and the hotel gave me the basket back the morning after at check out and of the 3 boxes in there one solitary tampon had been taken. I thought the fact I helped one lady in need justified putting them in there to me !

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

My only debate with them was seeing one of the kids arrive out with like one over their head or blowing them up, I can so see it happening... Jes imagine if they arrived out to the dancefloor :) that would be one for the photo books

Milly33, you are a PUP, im after having to pretend cough here so the lads dont think I've lost it altogether cos I am in FITS at that description! Could you imagine it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

People share tweezers? WTF? :eek:

Haven't read the whole thread yet.

Advertisement