Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom baskets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

I wouldn't bother with combs at all. Most people won't share a comb with someone else. Ditto lip balm, mouth wash (unless you're providing cups) etc. hand cream is often provided in hotel bathrooms so check that. I've always thought flip flops were a bit pointless. It's impossible to dance in flip flops.

A nice basic basket in the bathroom is a great addition. I've used them a lot. There's no need to go to huge expense or trouble.

Hair - hairspray, grips, bobbins
    Freshen up - spray anti-perspirant, chewing gum
    Disaster repair - plasters, baby wipes, cotton buds, safety pins.
    Sanitary - tampons & pads

Done.

I was firmly on team Stheno there, I think that the bathroom baskets are a complete and utter waste, as no-one I know (drunk or sober) would use things like combs, lipbalms, etc that someone else had used. However, the items PP mentioned above would be a really nice touch if you *had* to have something there.

Saying that, my future SIL is getting married next year and if she even starts mentioning this ridiculous notion of flip-flops and half of Boots, I'm going to have to slap her down. The brother will thank me for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Amoureux

I like the idea of baskets, I always end up with a tiny clutch at a wedding that just about fits my phone, money and a bit of makeup, so it's nice to have access to some body spray and hairspray as the evening goes on. My OH also appreciates the deoderant and gel that's usually on offer in the gents. I'll definitely be including them at my wedding, it's something small that I can for my guests that may help them out at some stage during their evening, and if they have no interest in anything in the basket then it will make no difference to them that it's there.

Have to say I was surprised by some of the response on this thread. People have lots of different styles of weddings, some like it simple, some like it over the top and then there are about a hundred variations in between. A wedding is a chance for a couple to celebrate their relationship and whatever way they choose to do that should be up to them. I love this forum because I've got lots of great advice and lovely ideas from it. It's such a pity that some people feel the need to come on here and shame others for choosing to include certain elements in their wedding. Of course everyone is going to like different things but if I ever see people talking about things that I personally wouldn't like for my wedding I certainly don't feel the need to contribute to the thread by slagging it off. No one should have to feel like they need to justify anything they do for their weddding just because others didn't do it for theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Amoureux wrote: »
    I like the idea of baskets, I always end up with a tiny clutch at a wedding that just about fits my phone, money and a bit of makeup, so it's nice to have access to some body spray and hairspray as the evening goes on. My OH also appreciates the deoderant and gel that's usually on offer in the gents. I'll definitely be including them at my wedding, it's something small that I can for my guests that may help them out at some stage during their evening, and if they have no interest in anything in the basket then it will make no difference to them that it's there.

Have to say I was surprised by some of the response on this thread. People have lots of different styles of weddings, some like it simple, some like it over the top and then there are about a hundred variations in between. A wedding is a chance for a couple to celebrate their relationship and whatever way they choose to do that should be up to them. I love this forum because I've got lots of great advice and lovely ideas from it. It's such a pity that some people feel the need to come on here and shame others for choosing to include certain elements in their wedding. Of course everyone is going to like different things but if I ever see people talking about things that I personally wouldn't like for my wedding I certainly don't feel the need to contribute to the thread by slagging it off. No one should have to feel like they need to justify anything they do for their weddding just because others didn't do it for theirs.

Thats the key thing I think, the few bits herself got (excluding the flip flops) came to around €20 and I do think its a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭berrecka

I suppose maybe it depends on the time of year of the wedding, but if the ladies are wearing tights, flipflops are useless to them. Ankle socks or pumps (expensive option) are a much better option, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Really surprised at how many people are against these baskets. It's the most practical gesture and it doesn't have to be expensive. I've loved them at the weddings I've attended. The hairspray and bobby pins are a life saver.

You have to remember that a lot of guests will not have booked a room after all the expense involved in attending the wedding itself. Ladies have very small clutch bags, that only just fit the phone, camera and purse. After 12 to 18 hours of standing around, eating too much and dancing like a fool anyone would need to change shoes and freshen up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

I think it s a brilliant idea. It won't be of use to everyone, but the ones that will use it will appreciate it big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Stheno wrote: »
    No one I genuinely think it's pure nonsense, and just more theatre to add to the day.

If I were to attend a wedding with this, I'd seriously think it was ridiculous

These are adults you are pandering to not children.

I couldn't agree more. It really is nonsense. It's got nothing to do either with being considerate of guests. No wedding guest ever in the history of weddings went to the toilet and said"how inconsiderate! I really need some Penneys lip balm and a cotton bud and there's none here" it's just juvenile competitive showing off like needy creatures fishing for Facebook likes.
    If you want to show your guests you care do without the sweet cart the photo booth the chocolate fountain the pointless insulting "favours" (please) and the sad bathroom baskets and spend all that money instead on a decent meal or decent night time snacks . Oh and try not to ignore your cherished guests for 2+ hours without even a biscuit and a cup of tea while you throw endless ridiculous poses for your pretentious over priced photographer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

At, the wedding forum rears its nasty head again. Brides and grooms just can't win. If they leave something out, they're selfish and inconsiderate. If they include something extra, they're pandering and showing off. Some of the replies here are just so nasty, and a really poor reflection of the posters. All I can say is I'm glad none of you will be at my wedding! It must be tiring spending all of your time judging people so much.

I couldn't agree more. It really is nonsense. It's got nothing to do either with being considerate of guests. No wedding guest ever in the history of weddings went to the toilet and said"how inconsiderate! I really need some Penneys lip balm and a cotton bud and there's none here" it's just juvenile competitive showing off like needy creatures fishing for Facebook likes.
    If you want to show your guests you care do without the sweet cart the photo booth the chocolate fountain the pointless insulting "favours" (please) and the sad bathroom baskets and spend all that money instead on a decent meal or decent night time snacks . Oh and try not to ignore your cherished guests for 2+ hours without even a biscuit and a cup of tea while you throw endless ridiculous poses for your pretentious over priced photographer.

I understand that guests wont find it inconsiderate if the basket isn't there but they do appreciate it if it is there. I know myself I've appreciated the basket being there purely because it had things like hairspray or body spray, there is no way I would have fitted these things in my bag. I've seen women purposely walking into the bathroom looking for the basket and being so grateful that there's hairclips/plasters/etc. If I've ensured that there's decent food and a good band surely its my perogative to spend my money on extras that I think will enhance my guests experience.
    Not really sure how favours are insulting?! Equally confused about how spending money on a photographer to capture what would be one of the most important days in my life is pretentious.

Think it's a bit unfair to ridicule people who want to have their wedding a certain way, there's no one on here sneering about weddings that didn't have all these extras, if people want to have a simple pared back wedding that's fair enough but I don't see anyone coming on this forum trying to shame them for this decision. I think the same respect should be payed to those who decide to have a wedding that includes some of the extras that I personally have appreciated as a guest at a wedding.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

haveringchick, there is absolutely no need for that kind of hostility. It is possible to express your opinion without being horrible about it. Please read the charter before posting again.

Same goes for the rest of the thread, keep it civil. There's no need to go make people feel like crap because you don't like an aspect of their wedding plans.

• Advertisement

Congrats and best of luck on your upcoming nuptials. Believe it or not I'm neither judgemental or nasty. And I know this is the biggest day of your life so far and you must and will do as you please. But remember this. Some of your nearest and dearest will look forward to spending the day celebrating with you and supporting you. They will have saved up or borrowed and are looking forward to spending some time with you and enjoying a very nice meal. If you decide to disappear for hours and then serve a reheated plate of whatever was the cheapest choice on offer then that ice cream van outside the church and the unhygienic messy chocolate fountain that you somehow thought would impress suddenly seem cliched and inexcusable. The local chippers where I live do a bomb now whenever there's a wedding in town due to the wedding guests being half starved. One mother of the groom expressed her mortification to me on passing back through town after the photos and spotting most of her guests in Subway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Congrats and best of luck on your upcoming nuptials. Believe it or not I'm neither judgemental or nasty. And I know this is the biggest day of your life so far and you must and will do as you please. But remember this. Some of your nearest and dearest will look forward to spending the day celebrating with you and supporting you. They will have saved up or borrowed and are looking forward to spending some time with you and enjoying a very nice meal. If you decide to disappear for hours and then serve a reheated plate of whatever was the cheapest choice on offer then that ice cream van outside the church and the unhygienic messy chocolate fountain that you somehow thought would impress suddenly seem cliched and inexcusable. The local chippers where I live do a bomb now whenever there's a wedding in town due to the wedding guests being half starved. One mother of the groom expressed her mortification to me on passing back through town after the photos and spotting most of her guests in Subway.

In fairness, given the detail people are talking about going to in this thread mediocre food is not something I imagine would feature

I'm going to a wedding in the registry office soon and we are invited for the ceremony which probably takes half an hour? Then dinner two hours after the ceremony which I imagine is to set expectations that there will be a gap for photos which I thought was a good idea

Why do you assume that just because I plan to have some added extras for my guests that the meal will be reheated and I'll disappear for hours for photographs. I've chosen my venue because its renowned for both the quality and quantity of food served. It's my local venue and I've been to a good few weddings there and know that my guests will not be hungry nor will they be fed anything subpar. I'll be doing my wedding photos in the garden of the hotel. I choose my photographer because he does mostly candid shots and at the last wedding I saw him he only had the wedding perty away from the guests for 20 minutes.
    I'm sorry that you seem to have extremely negative experiences at weddings and your local wedding venue is clearly very disappointing in terms of the food they serve but please don't assume this is the norm.
    Having a few added extras and getting to spend time with well fed guests do not need to be mutually exclusive goals for my wedding. Of course everyone has a different idea about what they want for their wedding but I don't see the need to shame people about their choices. There is a difference between giving advice and making judgemental assumptions.

The last wedding I was at was at a church in the middle of nowhere followed by a hotel in the middle of nowhere. The hotel was 5 star. 2 bottles of beer and one whiskey was €10. 3 1/2 hours between church and meal. The meal was inedible. The b&g wanted the fancy setting but could only barely afford the budget menu. No evening food. Breakfast the following morning €18 per head. Neither bride nor groom spoke to either my husband or myself the whole day. The delicious looking cake turned out to be cardboard. Actual cardboard. I literally couldn't believe it. No thank you cards. Jesus.

3 1/2 hours between church and meal.

Oh the horror. A whole 3.5 hours without eating? Did you make it through okay or did you nearly die from the starvation?
    2 bottles of beer and one whiskey was €10.

That's an incredibly reasonable price for 3 drinks.

Seems like you're looking for excuses to be annoyed.

Faith wrote: »
    Oh the horror. A whole 3.5 hours without eating? Did you make it through okay or did you nearly die from the starvation?

That's an incredibly reasonable price for 3 drinks.

Seems like you're looking for excuses to be annoyed.
    We'd left the house at 8am to drive the 3 hours to the middle of nowhere for the church ceremony. We couldn't find a B&B nearby and could only afford one night in the hotel at €250 per night room only. The B&G were fully aware that most of their guests were in similar financial circumstances to us but obviously they didn't let that deter them. It was a very close family member and declining the invite was not an option. Believe it or not there was a time when the brides mother simply wouldn't have entertained the idea of wedding guests having to feed themselves between leaving for the church and soup because of desicions about locations the B&G made based on how the photos would turn out. Edited to add that the church/hotel combo was nowhere distance wise near the home of either bride or groom nor was there any particular association with that area. It was picked purely for aesthetics and for the the vast majority of the guests was at least a 2 hour drive

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We'd left the house at 8am to drive the 3 hours to the middle of nowhere for the church ceremony. We couldn't find a B&B nearby and could only afford one night in the hotel at €250 per night room only. The B&G were fully aware that most of their guests were in similar financial circumstances to us but obviously they didn't let that deter them. It was a very close family member and declining the invite was not an option. Believe it or not there was a time when the brides mother simply wouldn't have entertained the idea of wedding guests having to feed themselves between leaving for the church and soup because of desicions about locations the B&G made based on how the photos would turn out.

Now while I might think bathroom baskets are way over the top, you are being ridiculous now.

You knew where you were going and could have factored in time to get food before the wedding.

And you could have left at ten and driven home if you didn't want to stay in the hotel/couldn't find somewhere else to stay

That's you not making arrangements for yourself once you'd details of where the wedding was, nothing to do with the bride and groom

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DivineGranny

We'd left the house at 8am to drive the 3 hours to the middle of nowhere for the church ceremony. We couldn't find a B&B nearby and could only afford one night in the hotel at €250 per night room only. The B&G were fully aware that most of their guests were in similar financial circumstances to us but obviously they didn't let that deter them. It was a very close family member and declining the invite was not an option. Believe it or not there was a time when the brides mother simply wouldn't have entertained the idea of wedding guests having to feed themselves between leaving for the church and soup because of desicions about locations the B&G made based on how the photos would turn out. Edited to add that the church/hotel combo was nowhere distance wise near the home of either bride or groom nor was there any particular association with that area. It was picked purely for aesthetics and for the the vast majority of the guests was at least a 2 hour drive

What does any of this have to do with bathroom baskets? Just because you went to a bad wedding doesn't mean you have to be horrible to people in here for no good reason.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Guys can we get back on topic please? I suspect that the lifespan of this thread is rapidly drawing to a close....

Now while I might think bathroom baskets are way over the top, you are being ridiculous now.

You knew where you were going and could have factored in time to get food before the wedding.

And you could have left at ten and driven home if you didn't want to stay in the hotel/couldn't find somewhere else to stay

That's you not making arrangements for yourself once you'd details of where the wedding was, nothing to do with the bride and groom

Leaving the wedding at 10 would have created a bad atmosphere afterwards nevermind the thoughts of driving back an unfamiliar route after a long tiresome day of standing around endlessly. Believe me we were not the only ones quietly grumbling. The father of the groom was mortified. Particularly with the poor quality meal.

• Advertisement

It's a pity the bride didn't do all the things you gave out about in an earlier post, the icecream van outside the church, the chocolate fountain and the candycart, as much as you seem to loathe those things at weddings at least it would have kept you fed until the actual meal.
    It seems to me that you have very negative experiences at weddings, maybe that's why some bride and grooms feel the need to add in little extras, they might be trying to make up for elements they saw lacking in previous weddings, or maybe they are trying to keep happy that guest who always seems to find something to complain about. Either way I suppose there's always going to be someone who views it as too much/too little, so for my wedding I'll just include all the things that I know would make us happy and hope that everyone has an enjoyable day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DivineGranny

I love the idea of bathroom baskets, I've used them a couple of times myself.
    Mine are going to include:

-Gel cushions
    -Plasters
    -Deodorant
    -Body Spray
    -Mints
    -Bobby pins
    -Hairspray
    -Hair bobbins
    -Hair Gel in the gents
    -Safety Pins

It's only coming to around €20/€25 for all the little bits, and it's a nice touch :)

I love the idea of bathroom baskets, I've used them a couple of times myself.
    Mine are going to include:

-Gel cushions
    -Plasters
    -Deodorant
    -Body Spray
    -Mints
    -Bobby pins
    -Hairspray
    -Hair bobbins
    -Hair Gel in the gents
    -Safety Pins

It's only coming to around €20/€25 for all the little bits, and it's a nice touch :)

Maybe I took this up wrong then I was imagining some giant hamper of stuff?

I don't like the idea of lip gloss and most places have a dispenser for sanitary products

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Who has deodorant that only lasts a few hours? Mine and lots of other brands last upto 48 hours. You want to wear shoes that you cant last a day in then thats up to you, bring others or go without. You can get sanitary products in the toilets and surely people have a brush/comb in their handbag? Its all a bit over the top imo. Save your money and let adults look after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I love this forum for threads like this where deodorants are discussed in depth. In the weddings section.

flikflak wrote: »
    Who has deodorant that only lasts a few hours? Mine and lots of other brands last upto 48 hours. You want to wear shoes that you cant last a day in then thats up to you, bring others or go without. You can get sanitary products in the toilets and surely people have a brush/comb in their handbag? Its all a bit over the top imo. Save your money and let adults look after themselves.
    I'm a sweaty decker if I dance so like to sort myself :)

Maybe I took this up wrong then I was imagining some giant hamper of stuff?

I don't like the idea of lip gloss and most places have a dispenser for sanitary products

No, they're small baskets. Like this:

weddingdiy002.jpg

As for dispensers for sanitary products, of course there are, but isn't it easier and more convenient if there's a small box of tampax on the counter, rather than having to dig out change to feed into a machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

flikflak wrote: »

If the B&G want to try accommodate their guests and not have them spend a fortune on tampons then let them. I've never used a deodorant that lasted 48hrs in real life and I've just spent a weekend away where all the girls were asking for hairbrushes in the bathrooms when we were out.
    I like wedding baskets, I think it's thoughtful and I've appreciated them several times at weddings.

Yeah, I like to top up the old deodorant myself if I'm busting a move on the dance floor. In fairness, I wear that 48 hour stuff, so it doesn't really 'need' to be topped up, I just feel fresher when I do. Plasters can be a godsend for sore feet, and at one wedding I was at I was dancing with one of my friends and someone stood on the back of her dress and her strap snapped. We were ages trying to find something to fix it, luckily one of the aunties came to the rescue with one of those sewing kit things that you sometimes get in the hotel room along with shampoo etc.

Stuff like that is really handy to have in a little basket in the bathroom, although some of it is overboard when you think about how much it will cost vs how much will be used. My in-laws were at a wedding a while ago where the bride had gone all out with the bathroom baskets, like seriously fancy stuff in them - probably cost a bomb. And before the dancing had even started SIL and MIL were going to the bathroom and noticed two of the brides cousins coming out of the bathroom laden down with stuff that they'd robbed out of the baskets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭fits

I thought more about this and I guess if I had had a large number of guests who werent staying on site they might have been useful. You never know when you might need safety pins for example. But most guests were on site so it would have been pointless really.

Advertisement