Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom baskets

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Faith wrote: »
    No, they're small baskets. Like this:

weddingdiy002.jpg

As for dispensers for sanitary products, of course there are, but isn't it easier and more convenient if there's a small box of tampax on the counter, rather than having to dig out change to feed into a machine?

Ah I was imagining something four times the size. That makes more sense and isn't anything like I thought, apologies

Tbh I wouldn't have a need for pretty much anything in them but can see now why they are a nice touch

I'd never expect one though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'd imagine most guests will bring their own supplies. No need for the couple to go to this trouble. Seems to be so much effort put into making everything perfect for the guests, I don't get it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'd imagine most guests will bring their own supplies. No need for the couple to go to this trouble. Seems to be so much effort put into making everything perfect for the guests, I don't get it.

Because if you don't, people will come online and bitch about how awful your wedding was, and how you left them 3.5 hours without something to stuff in their faces.

I'm actually just totally gobsmacked and dismayed by this thread. The fact that everyone is getting so het up about a small gesture from the bride and groom to help out guests who may be stuck is incredible. I've never before seen people complain about wedding because the bride and groom did too much to make the guests have a pleasant and comfortable day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Because if you don't, people will come online and bitch about how awful your wedding was, and how you left them 3.5 hours without something to stuff in their faces.

I'm actually just totally gobsmacked and dismayed by this thread. The fact that everyone is getting so het up about a small gesture from the bride and groom to help out guests who may be stuck is incredible. I've never before seen people complain about wedding because the bride and groom did too much to make the guests have a pleasant and comfortable day.

Welcome to the wedding forum. Where the smallest problem creates the loudest debate.

No wedding I went to provided baskets, no one bitched about it either. I don't like the way these so called extras are becoming the norm because it makes you look bad if you don't have them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We got the two baskets in Dunnes I think for about €15, the deodorants and other things were approx €20, the flip flops about €45 so it was less than €100. Leaving the flip flops out its less than €50.

Alot of our guests couldnt stay on site as the accommodation in Rathsallagh is limited.

Why wouldn't/shouldn't the B & G want to make things as perfect for their guests as possible?

:confused:

Alot of ours traveled over 2 hours to the church (country to Dublin) and then another 45 minutes to the venue. They took time off work, gave gifts etc to spend their day with us.

Its not like people are paying for bathroom attendants and gold plated bog roll.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

As for dispensers for sanitary products, of course there are, but isn't it easier and more convenient if there's a small box of tampax on the counter, rather than having to dig out change to feed into a machine?

Yeah, and in fairness the ones that come out of the machines are usually horrible - it'd probably be easier and more comfortable to just roll up a pile of cotton wool and shove it in! :o:pac:
    lazygal wrote: »
    Welcome to the wedding forum. Where the smallest problem creates the loudest debate.

No matter what the thread is about, there'll ALWAYS be someone who just has to have a moan about something.

We got the two baskets in Dunnes I think for about €15, the deodorants and other things were approx €20, the flip flops about €45 so it was less than €100. Leaving the flip flops out its less than €50.

Alot of our guests couldnt stay on site as the accommodation in Rathsallagh is limited.

Why wouldn't/shouldn't the B & G want to make things as perfect for their guests as possible?

:confused:

Alot of ours traveled over 2 hours to the church (country to Dublin) and then another 45 minutes to the venue. They took time off work, gave gifts etc to spend their day with us.

Its not like people are paying for bathroom attendants and gold plated bog roll.

Hey don't get defensive about it. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do, it's just not something I did because it never would have crossed my mind that it would be necessary. Anytime I've been to a wedding I've brought all my own toiletries, never needed them laid on. It's your money at the end of the day, spend it how you want.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No wedding I went to provided baskets, no one bitched about it either. I don't like the way these so called extras are becoming the norm because it makes you look bad if you don't have them.

I think this is my issue, two day weddings are becoming the norm with all sorts of add ons. Apart from the sheer pressure on the bride and groom it seems a bit overdone.

Now as I said earlier, I can see the sense in bathroom baskets, but like you will bring everything I need as below.
    Hey don't get defensive about it. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do, it's just not something I did because it never would have crossed my mind that it would be necessary. Anytime I've been to a wedding I've brought all my own toiletries, never needed them laid on. It's your money at the end of the day, spend it how you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Was in a hotel working when a bride brought in the baskets for the wedding. When she had left the staff were looking through what was in it. It had the usual stuff like what was mentioned above, but what took the biscuit was that there was a pregnancy test in it too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Stheno wrote: »
    Wtf?

I got married (since divorced) in 1999 and there was none of this nonsense

Seems weddings have gone from a ceremony to solemnise a marriage with a meal to celebrate after, to some sort of ridiculous event
    I know someone getting married soon who for her after part day has boules , kayaking and various games involved

And now op as a guest at weddings wants deodorant provided in the bathrooms!

I am gobsmacked I'm going to a wedding soon and in my bag I'll have a roll on, powder,perfume,and lipstick, I'll wear shoes I'll be comfortable in for the day, and won't need to avail of a bathroom basket

What other event would you attend that you would expect to be babied to this extent

Seriously it's utter nonsense
    That's exactly the kind of stuff that needs saying. Often. Go now, Stheno. Many other threads need you.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Was in a hotel working when a bride brought in the baskets for the wedding. When she had left the staff were looking through what was in it. It had the usual stuff like what was mentioned above, but what took the biscuit was that there was a pregnancy test in it too :)

Maybe it was a mistake?

I was just chatting to my sister who is getting married next year, and mentioned them, she wasn't au fait with baskets but mentioned someone getting married in a marquee using them, which is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

This completely. I think that's the only issue people have about certain extras. Boards wedding forum is my fave cos it's normal (prob down to the strict advertising rules), but you only have to look at some other sites and click on links to see so-called "essentials" that most people wouldnt notice if they weren't there, or care about if they did notice. I dont like he thought of couples feeling under pressure to provide such things.

I had baskets, cos my friend offered to put one together. I may have made a small effort if it was left to me, mainly cos most people weren't staying overnight and might have needed a bit of hairspray or whatever was in the thing. I know we did have flipflops and people were delighted with that! Im usually slow on the uptake of these things, but had an awful pair of shoes at one wedding and missed out on a pair of flipflops so was in agony as I wasnt staying the night. That was the only time I would have cared/noticed.

It's a nice thing to do, by no means the norm in my book, and one mad dash around penneys would suffice if you're so inclined to do it. No need for fancy stuff, esp if you dont have exclusive use of the hotel loos or have guests who are likely to pilfer half of it.

stinkle wrote: »

It's a nice thing to do, by no means the norm in my book, and one mad dash around penneys would suffice if you're so inclined to do it. No need for fancy stuff, esp if you dont have exclusive use of the hotel loos or have guests who are likely to pilfer half of it.

How would bathroom baskets work if you didn't have exclusive use of bathrooms?

I do remember that when I was looking for a wedding venue in the 90s having just one wedding in the venue was important, is that still a thing?

The wedding I'm going to in a few weeks will be very small, only 30 guests, dinner at 4:30 and I don't think it will be terribly fancy with lots of add ons in part as the bride is not Irish

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Boscoirl wrote: »

It'd be like that episode of Friends where Rachel finds out she's pregnant at Monica's wedding!

How would bathroom baskets work if you didn't have exclusive use of bathrooms?

If it was a "local big hotel", you might be the only wedding, but there would be other people staying there milling around. We had exclusive use of our venue, but I remember my mate's was in a big town and the baskets were in the closest loos but there was no way to really prevent anyone else going in there, they were hotel toilets with signs all over the place pointing to them! I'd hate to think nice items would be used by non-guests of the wedding after going to any bother to arrange baskets.

Toots wrote: »
    It'd be like that episode of Friends where Rachel finds out she's pregnant at Monica's wedding!

My local dollar store sells soooo much tat including $1 pregnancy tests, ovulation kits and even marijuana testing kits! Ive guests visiting this week, was so tempted to buy this stuff for the craic and leave it lying around!

Will we all go into business selling wedding basket tat?

God $1 pregnancy tests sound awesome! They're about €7 each at the cheapest - can add up if you're trying for a while!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

God $1 pregnancy tests sound awesome! They're about €7 each at the cheapest - can add up if you're trying for a while!

I wouldn't swear but I THINK you can get them in dealz for €1.49 now in Irl (I agree, ridiculously expensive)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

I wasn't going to do them but now I think I will-they're a nice thought. I've been known, on occasion, to take a chewing gum or a spritz of dry shampoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Dealz has them alright. They're the dippy kind.
    Tesco sometimes have really cheap pee on ones too.

CBFi wrote: »
    I wasn't going to do them but now I think I will-they're a nice thought. I've been known, on occasion, to take a chewing gum or a spritz of dry shampoo!

I'm fascinated now about this wedding I'm attending to see how much extras the bride puts in. I'm not expecting anything other than a good meal and a nice band though :)

Get the cheap ones from eBay. They're the same as the ones gps use!

I'm fascinated now about this wedding I'm attending to see how much extras the bride puts in. I'm not expecting anything other than a good meal and a nice band though :)

It'll be crap if there's no deodorant though.

lazygal wrote: »
    It'll be crap if there's no deodorant though.

I'll have a can of compressed deodorant in my bag.

My bag will contain that, powder, lipstick and perfume. Oh will have the money, or I'll have 50 euro in my bag. My phone will also fit.

Outside of that I won't need anything in my bag :)

It's a lovely venue we are going to, I'm really looking forward to it :)

Tbh, I'm looking forward to going to it, as it's a chap who has suffered a few personal woes, and life has come right for him, and both he and his future wife are lovely people.

I'll be genuinely glad to be at their wedding and celebrate with them, he's the OHs friend so I don't know him well, but know a fair bit of his life, and I'm delighted for him. And isn't that what it's all about? Celebrating a really important day in someone's life with them?

All this despite being annoyed at the late invite. :D

I do think there might be a generation gap in this thread, I'm mid forties, so weddings were different in my day so to speak :)

I do think there might be a generation gap in this thread, I'm mid forties, so weddings were different in my day so to speak :)

I think you might be right, I'm late 30's so the bulk of the weddings I've been to were pre boom so you just got a meal and a bit of music. I think Franc and those wedding as entertainment tv shows have a lot to answer for :D

I think you might be right, I'm late 30's so the bulk of the weddings I've been to were pre boom so you just got a meal and a bit of music. I think Franc and those wedding as entertainment tv shows have a lot to answer for :D

Genuinely I do think it's the reason for the polarity on this thread. In 1999 when I got married, a good venue with reasonable rates for guests was key. For me one with only one wedding was also important, and I went with Barberstown.

I'd a small wedding with less than 70 guests

We'd a nice reception while the photos were done in less than an hour, then we did a big group photo, and despite now being divorced, I cherish those as some are no longer with us and they are the last photos I have.

Then we had a lovely meal, no seating plan so people could mingle, then a lovely band, with some afters food about 10pm.

That's my main experience of weddings, both my sisters got married abroad and had an after party but at the time that was it.

Since then weddings have become serious theatre, I was at work the other day and while chatting to someone having a smoke, she mentioned she was off on holiday to get married and having a two day wedding. I expressed surprise at this and she said it was now "expected"

I do wonder how much of this stuff is percieved pressure rather than a desire on the part of bride and groom.

I found my wedding day exhausting, making sure we talked to everyone, I was glad for the day off next day to chill before we went away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

Condoms would be good too. But please not the Euro shop ones.

Rennies and/or Motilium (or Domerid which is the same thing only cheaper) Showing my age needing things like these!

julyjane wrote: »

Rennies and/or Motilium (or Domerid which is the same thing only cheaper) Showing my age needing things like these!

I'd have the drugs in my bag/car. I've also spare contacts and glasses and cleaner for them in my car.

This thread is showing me that I'm massively OCD :D

• Advertisement

julyjane wrote: »

Well I suppose if they are the € shop condoms, then it might be prudent to stick a few pregnancy tests in the basket also!! :pac:

Advertisement