Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I wound buy...

I think you mean "wouldnt"?

Ive been flipping between leaf and ID3 secondhand in my mind - id3 in general is at least 3-4k more expensive

@Oscar_Madison There is plus and minus for each. I'd say drive both and go with your gut. Both will do the job you want it to do. The VW will be easier/quicker to charge when on the road but you are saying that wont matter to you so go with whichever one you prefer the drive of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If it was the main car then yes ID3 over Leaf -I’d need the extra range the ID3 would give me. I do head down the country every few months but not enough to save significant sums on diesel vs electricity - it would take me many years to claw back such savings - having looked at prices of ID3s again today the price difference is more like 4-5k now so between the two cars - for a second car I can’t justify that - it’s these sort of decisions I guess people will be making over the coming years - the car you need vs the car you want.

Thanks for the advice - all very much welcome from you EV owners. 👍

Yeah I’ll drive both and see but as I highlighted cost is also a consideration - I could say “ah feic cost” and get the VW but I’m trying to be good 😀

Only thing that might swing it though is medium term thinking- I think medium term the VW will depreciate a lot less than the Leaf mainly due to increased range but also the charging unit

Post edited by Oscar_Madison on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

To throw another spanner in the works, we were recently considering a similar era of leaf versus a Hyundai ioniq and decided to go for the Ioniq after test driving both of them. We're hopefully picking up ours this week.

They should be roughly the same price as the leaf or so, maybe even less. Worth maybe adding to the test drive list if there is one convenient near you.

One thing to note while they don't have the chademo problem, the 38kwh model (which a 2020 and up would be) has pretty slow "fast charging" relatively to others (and strangely enough even the 28kwh version that came before it) so worth considering if you'd plan to make use of public fast charging much

Those damned spanner’s 😀

Ive ruled out the Hyundai - more just personal preference than anything “wrong” with the car per se.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bunderoon

For a Nissan Leaf 62Kw, is there any negative effect over time on the battery if a user were to only ever need to deplete it to ~20kw and charge to full again either with the granny cable or the 6.6Kw charger?

I'm looking at a 62Kw Leaf as a car to do me for atleast the next 5-6 years and my biggest round trip in my week would be ~145Km in any one day.

3 days a week.

I'm thinking range concerns buying a second hand 40Kw. Would it start to become a problem after a year or two or even every winter.

What ranges are people getting from their 40Kw Leafs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I did exactly that for three years and according to Leaf Spy and the in car health readings there was no real degradation.

Thanks for that. Do you know your ~max range of your 62Kw in normal conditions?

The options I'm looking at the moment - the 62kw is ~5k more than the 40Kw. I'd prefer to pay an additional 800 to 1000e per year over 5-6 years to eliminate the range anxiety and have the flexibility for longer distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You won't "need" the range by the sounds of it, but having the larger battery will eliminate any range anxiety concerns.

Here's the thing...and please don't get me wrong here, because I love the Leaf. I still have 1 of 2 Leafs I had for 6 years. I just collected her (2014 Tekna) from the body shop yesterday after having her paint work refreshed from 10 years of life. I am seriously considering adding a Leaf 40 to the family fleet. Great cars and super reliable.

However, with the Leaf 62, you are now going into Tesla Model 3 money at the 25-26k price bracket. It's a far superior car than the Leaf. It's faster, more efficient, safer and better in every way IMO. It opens you up to the Tesla Super Charger network, not to mention it is a CCS rather than CHAdeMO DC connector with more than twice the DC charging speed of the Leaf. Battery degradation is a non issue compared to the Leaf which has no active cooling.

I'm not saying don't buy the Leaf. I'm saying that you should be aware of the options.

I see a nice 2019 with 71k klms on DD for €26k.

donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-3-50kwh-standard-range-plus/35955154

Stay Free

Depends on normal winter or normal summer. I've seen everything from 290 to 380km on the guess-o-meter at 100% depending on how I'd been driving recently and ambient temps.

At 120km/h on the motorway you'd get 250km on your average April day. I've done this many times.

• Advertisement

Many thanks for that reply.

Valid points and BTW, love the look of that one on Donedeal. 25K would be my absolute top spend as my car is really the second car in the family. Used mainly for my work commute and then when I am back from work, we have kids activities in evenings - drop/collect etc. Max 145Km, 3 days a week. Put on charge then late evening and ready for next day. Looking at the energia EV rate 2-6am and will consider a 6.6kw wall charger install. Speaking of charging, we have facility to charge at work, 1 x 7kw and 3 x 13A. Currently would have about 4 hour slot per ev owner due to the number of ev owners. It wouldn't be guaranteed either. If it was, it would steer me towards the cheaper 40Kw. I can only really see myself charging at work or home so the near-obsolete CHAdeMO tech wouldn't be an issue for me.

I wouldn't get the value of the Tesla (as much as I'd love to get one) and to deal with a dealer I'd be looking at 30K+.

For me, the Nissan dealership is local and its where I bought my current and previous cars. They are grand to deal with. I'm only prepared to trade in and refinance. I did consider the ID.3 where is nearly the same money but different dealership, not local and no relationship etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 andyr24

Having had a 30kwh for a year and a 40kwh leaf for the past 4 years currently doing a 130km round trip 5-6days a week the 300kwh struggled with it in winter requiring a 2min rapid to get home . The 40kwh never had an issue now with 140k Kms on it. Battery SOH reading 89% most of the driving on N roads so 95-100kph apart from 20kms on back roads. Used a 28kwh ioniq for a month when our ice car developed adblue issues and with 180k Kms on it it was reading 100% SOH via 2 diagnostic computers. Much more efficient car than leaf from my brief experience with it and way faster charging. Was hitting only 30kw at rapid charging having arrived with below 15% never sped up at all. Ioniq pulling 64kw in same circumstances.

Trading and Finance, then it's the dealership for you.

I've only ever had one of my Leafs left into the dealership and that was to have the shim kit installed for the common 2013-2015 rear axel issue on UK built Leafs. Never had it with them for any other reason. I got the brake fluid replaced in ATLAS last year....didn't need it done, other than age. Still has original brake pads at about 50% after 110k klms.

Do get the home charger installed. Makes life easier after you swallow the bitter pill of what you are being charged.

Stay Free

Thanks. And do you know the ~max range you are getting from your 40Kw? Obviously it depends on time of year and personal driving habits.

Post edited by bunderoon on

• Registered Users Posts: 19 andyr24

Best I ever got was 239kms down to 1% and worst was 150-155kms in winter. Mind you none of that driving was motorway but what we will call the old N7 so decent 100kph road. Most days after my 130km round trip arrive home with 20-25% battery left. It's a tekna so 17" wheels one with 16" may be slightly more efficient. Decent car never had an issue. Well the radar cruise keeps blocking them coming back to life again but as I don't do much motorway driving that doesn't bother me. Tyres wipers and pollen filter.

Went to dealership yesterday and the 62Kw wasn't available. Won't be for a few days. Saw a low milage 40Kw 2020 leaf. Don't have leaf spy. They have given me the loan of the 40Kw until Wednesday evening so I can drive to work and back etc and see how it fairs out. If the range doesn't suit, I can look at the 62Kw then.

Charging with granny cable now. The 13a plug to PSU is only about 12". So for any outside socket that's higher up the wall than that, the plug is taking the weight of the PSU. Not a great design really.

The 62 has a fair bit more poke it in too. If you end up with it stick decent tyres on it whatever you do.

For 6.6kw wall chargers, any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭myfreespirit

Any Leaf owners having problems with the Nissan Connect app yesterday or this morning (24th/ 25th February)?

The app opens, but only displays the Nissan logo and goes no further.

I always recommend Hypervolt.

With regards to granny charger on high sockets, installing a hook near the socket let's you hang the weight of the PSU from it. Benefit is it stays clean when the sky opens up. My socket is low to the ground and the PSU gets dirty when it rains, but we rarely use the granny charger anyway.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

I had that problem a few weeks ago. I completely uninstalled the App and then installed it again and signed it and it works fine for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭myfreespirit

Okay, I might try that if it's still misbehaving later on today.

Thanks for the tip, appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭obi604

I have this very amateur setup, but takes all the weight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Good to see that setup. Was thinking the Leaf 13amp plug wouldn't fit in a standard outdoor socket box but that one looks perfect. Do you have a standard socket under it or did you fit one with a thermal cutout in case of overheating.

Thanks,

T.

It won't fit all outdoor socket enclosures. The likes of the ones in screwfix with the semi transparent cover for example won't close fully. Ask me how I know.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭obi604

Hello. I actually swapped the original fitted outdoor socket. The plug on these chargers are thick and did not allow the external socket to close.

so ordered a replacement external socket from this crowd: https://toughleads.co.uk/

not sure on the last q. But the socket is connected to its own dedicated 20 amp fuse in fuse board.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭_ptashek_

Here's some real-life stats from my 40, with 33.75kWh usable (36 from factory). Lights, heating / AC, radio turned on as I please. Driving with max regen on (B, Eco + e-pedal).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Having had a Leaf and Tesla don't forget that the Tesla is incredibly more efficient i.e. you will get a lot longer range in your Tesla versus the Leaf from the same given amount of electricity so a grand or so extra will pay back with cheaper electricity

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭_ptashek_

It definitely depends on how it's used and charged. With lots of long-range driving and fast charging, you're definitely right. The time saved alone will add up very quickly in favour of the Tesla.

But if you assume 20k annual mileage, and home charging only, the result is surprising. Efficiency values for both used from here: https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791/ev-range-test-results/. Ignoring charging losses, as "no idea".

Tesla 3: ((20000/6.83) * 0.26 ~= 761EUR/year [(annual mileage in km / km per kWh) * urban night-saver kWh cost]

Leaf 40: (20000/5.47)) * 0.26 ~= 950EUR/year

Close to 5.5 years to see a grand saved between them. If I take my own figures for the Leaf, it's 7.5 years even.

And I guess the Leaf will be quite a bit cheaper to service? But the Tesla battery will likely last a lot longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Cheaper to service? Lol. Tesla service cost is 0. Only the OEMs require "servicing" on an EV

Advertisement