Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭_ptashek_

My 201 40 has the mechanical parking brake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

My FIL has a 192 40kWh SV Leaf and it has a foot "handbrake". Fairly stupid design I have to say.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

212 SV with the foot operated parking brake. Which was a surprise. Nissan are fond of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Metalpanic

I have a 182 SVE with electronic parking brake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Looking at 2019/2020 40kwh at the moment.

Need a car that can do say 120km of motorway in any conditions or drive pretty much anywhere in Wicklow and back in any conditions (cold/wet/windy). Is that reasonable? Based in Bray and thinking bringing kids to GAA in remote parts of Wicklow etc. Long hilly drives but would be much lower speeds. Or Arklow and back via motorway 100km+. How is battery degradation on average after say 100,000km? Big impact? I'm coming from a L24

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭_ptashek_

Yes, but it's a third pedal in the footwell, instead of the usual handle. Identical to how Mercedes did it in many of their past models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Hi we have a 2017 30kw tekka with 9 bars since 2020. We don't do a lot of mileage but haven't had it serviced since.

If we got it serviced in a Nissan garage, could that improve the battery quality?

No. A service will have nothing to do with the battery. There was however a software update on the 20kWh Leaf which unlocked/fixed some of the lost range.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Do I need to go to a Nissan garage for the update?

Call them first and ask if your car has had the update. But yes, it's not over the air.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Have a similar situation. Dropped to 9 bars at approximately 80,000km. Told no updates needed on the car during last service and to call if it drops to 8 bars within warranty. Has been at 9 bars since November 22 and doesn't seem to be dropping below that. Very strange. Car is up to about 95,000km now. Between 70,000 and 80,000 it lost 3 bars.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

So, rightly or wrongly, we recently bought a relativey high mileage late 2014 Leaf, it's got 221K on it, and the battery is showing 9 bars, I can't get more than that information at the moment as I don't have a viable dongle that will work correctly with Leaf Spy.

We had some drama getting a Zappi charger in and working, but I've now worked out how to set the delayed charging option on the car, so we're no longer dependent on ESB Ecars charger at crazy prices, we've got night saver, so that's working out much better, and even more helpful, the charger is on a separate phase from the house, so no worries at all about load sharing or shedding.

I got lucky last week, a Leaf user in Cork put a granny cable and Type 2 to 1 charger cable on Done deal, so I grabbed them, as they were a LOT less than I'd have had to pay for a new pair of cables, and pensioner free travel meant I could get them without any additional costs other than my time going down and back, we've had a non tethered charger put in, so that makes it easy for us if we change to a different vehicle at a later date.

Range wise, it's too soon to be categoric about it, in theory I went off from home here this morning with a full 100% battery and 120 Km of range, went to West Dublin and back, round trip of just under 60 Km, (M2 & M50 at 100Kph) and when I got home again without using the motorway as I had a call to Kilbride to fit in, it's suggesting I still have 65 Km of range remaining, with 48% battery,even after having to use some heat and lights this morning, but that's the first slightly longer trip we've done so far, the Leaf has replaced a very elderly Fiat Siecento that only did 3000 Km last year, it's effectively a second car, so long range is not an issue, we've a diesel Grand Picasso that can do that sort of motoring if we need to.

It needed a new pollen filter, and once I'd found out how to get at the thing, it wasn't too bad a job to do, I've had worse.

So, from what I can see of it, for our use, I think we got a decent bargain, at a very respectable price, and a LOT cheaper than an equivalent year ICE car would have cost us.

So, the questions.

How do I work out which model we've got, the Registration documents are not very forthcoming, in that they are using what looks like an American model code, which I can't cross reference, the reg doc says it's a SV Spoiler 4Dr AU, first registered 11 Nov 2014.

Has anyone had issues getting the Carwings system set up? Nissan are saying they have some sort of technical problem which is blocking them from dealing with the removal of the previous owner details so I can set up to be able to connect to the car, their technical department have been dragged in to sorting it, and they don't have a timescale on fixing it.

Trying to work out if there's any way to get an up to date Sat Nav database for it, as it seems not to have been updated since it was new.

Has anyone had issues with what I think is rain getting into the boot area, the seal round the tailgate looks to be undamaged, but there's some water under the boot carpet, it's clean, so that rules out road wheel spray. Are there any known issues with this?

Is there an easy retrofit for reversing sensors? The Citroen has inbuilt reversing sensors that are good, and I'd like to fit something similar, even though there is a reversing camera built in, but having got used to having a chirp that indicates any obstacle, I'd be quite happy to have similar on the Leaf,

Are rear hub bearings an easy fit, I think one of them is rumbling a bit at higher speeds, it's a long way from needing changing, but one of those jobs I will probably need to do at some stage over the next 12 months.

I suspect there may be more questions over the next while, but this is the starting point for now.

Thanks

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Just in terms of finding the model, go to sell it on DoneDeal and input the reg. Would give you back all the details.

Edit: Just tried on mine and it didn't work. Definitely used to though!

If it doesn't then there's potentially oddness going on with the provenance.

Congrats on the purchase.

To figure out what trim level you have is easy. You already said you have the sat nav, so that rules out the lower spec. I'm guessing you have the SV (acenta) Model, which has reversing camera. It has cloth seats also. The SVE (Tekna) has birds eye view reversing cameras and leather seats. Your reg document also says SV.

The APP is a nightmare to get going. Nissan is really poor in this regard. Its really only useful to check the cars state of charge or to remotely turn on the heater.

The latest nav software for the Leaf I believe was 2016. Even then it was 3 years out of date. Just use your phone. There are devices which let you use apple car play or android auto on the car screen. Google is your friend for info on this. YouTube videos for reviews on these products.

Never heard of boot water ingress. If a new seal doesn't fix it, I'm afraid the most likely reason in my experience is a rear end collision and repair. I had this experience with a Mercedes E200K A few years ago. The front struts should be covered under the bonnet, as they can fill up with water and cause issues, but many people don't bother....myself included and see no issues. There are kits on ebay and amazon for this if yours are nude.

There are places that will retrofit reversing sensors. Just Google retrofit reverse sensors Ireland and look there.

To replace hub bearing, watch this video. Same setup as the Leaf. https://youtu.be/UEGMAVkZ06o?si=UNqhJ8saUVXQOoPN

Good luck.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

Just a heads up to Nissan Connect App users. Like a lot of people have said, my App hasn't worked in ages, just sitting on the login screen. It got an update today on my phone (Android) and I decided to check it again, and still not working.

But as seen as I was looking at it, I decided to uninstall the app, reboot my phone and install it again. And it's now working perfectly! Well, it says my fully charged L40 has a range of 100km, but apart from that it's perfect! Might be worth a try to reinstall the app if it's not working on your phone?

Edit : Range is now reporting correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭insullation

I viewed a 2022 recently with 60K kms on it. Appears to the SVE trim. Price is coming in at 15000 which is a good price but wondering if these leafs are going to keep dropping and the car would be worth next to nothing in a couple of years as it will really be considered old school in many aspects especially in terms of the range and outdated changed method.

Should I be worried? I don't plan on selling it for a number of years but that could change if my circumstances changed.

If you don't plan on selling for a few years, there's little point in worrying about depreciation on a 15k car.

Where did you see a 2022 SVE for €15k?

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭insullation

Private sale via a work colleague so not advertised. Seems a good deal then?

• Advertisement

Assuming decent mileage and nearly new condition, I would say yes. Cheapest 2022 online is about 19k for the SV trim. The SVE has the leather seats and birds eye view reversing cam. If you don't want it, I do 😁

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭DC999

Yeah, very good price if car is good. I paid 15.5k for a 6 year old (at the time, 2016) SVE. That was just under 2 years ago. So my depreciation is your gain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I no longer have my Leaf but do remember that when you first register the App/Car that it is not forever, I think there is a few years after which the App will stop working. My fix was to delete everything and reinstall from scratch for another few years.

Maybe things have changed in the last year or so...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭DC999

Tbh I never use the Nissan Connect app now. I thought it was important in the 1st few weeks. But I never use it now.

It’s barely useful. It’s painfully slow to open. Apart from telling you the % of battery left (which you’ll know if you were driving the car), and starting the heater remotely (which is again painfully slow) it does nothing else useful.

There is a handy Alexa command to get it to tell you the % charge in the Leaf. But often the % respond was incorrect. So it was more a novelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Our 40kWh Leaf stopped charging and Nissan have said it needs a new Power Delivery Module but have quoted 7,000€ to replace it. Warranty expired in Jan 2024 so at the moment I'm waiting to hear back on any goodwill gesture that Nissan might offer.

Does anyone know of anywhere who can do the repair or replace it with a unit from another car in the Cork or Munster area?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭con747

Seems common enough. https://www.reddit.com/r/nissanleaf/comments/te7odj/electrify_america_destroyed_my_power_distribution/ I know that's America but seems to be a prevalent fault. Might be no harm doing some research before going to the dealer looking for anything.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Yeah I google'd that myself but not sure what further research helps since it's with the dealer already. I'm just trying to find someone in Cork/Munster who can fix it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's NOT a 32A (7kW) charger. It's 16A to 20A, max, so around 4kW to 5kW. The reason you know is that it's using a single-phase commando plug socket (called IEC 60309) on the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pete6296

Thanks a mill. Ended up buying a Garo 7kw Ev charger. Electrician strongly recommended a unit that has load balancing

Advertisement