Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Firblog

Hi folks, I have a 152 Leaf 24, 170K Km, battery is @ 76%ish.

Have read on here that there was an update that brought a bit of life back to the battery? Any ideas how I find out of the update was applied to mine? what info should I look for and how do I find it?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

76% sounds about right I would say for a car with 170k km up on it.

I think that update was linked with the 30 leaf battery

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The update was only for 30kWh Leaf. Your battery percentage looks correct for age and mileage.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Firblog

No magic update then.. a few extra Km would've been handy.

I have a 2014 leaf, running great, not a bother on it.

One thing that happens essentially 95% of the time is when I reverse, it makes this 'clunk' noise - like something is caught or trapped or stuck. The clunk sound seems to come from the back left (I think anyways)

It can happen if parked up for 2 weeks or 2 minutes. I have parked it up overnight with foot pedal brake not engaged on purpose to see if that makes a difference.....no.

I put it in reverse, its fine for first bit of a second, then after about 1 second, the clunk happens, can be one clunk or a series of clunks, only happens in reverse.

I have brought it to 2 different mechanics and they could not find an issue

Has anyone here experienced this? Hopefully my clunk description is ok, not sure what else to call it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What shape are the tyres in?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What your describing happens on all cars with fat back tyres in poor nick, it's not a mechanical issue, only way to know is to change the tyres

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Noted. So you reckon a change of tyres could be a potential fix. What do you mean by ‘fat’ back tyres?

im my simple mind, tyre condition never entered my head, just like something caught or stuck more so

Would changing the tyres really get rid of this strange clunk

Like sometimes it feels I have to press the accelerator a bit harder to make it move in reverse to get past the clunk

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

This has happened my 2014 Leaf every other time as I start to reverse it...for 7 years now. At first, I thought it was an issue with the hand/foot brake disengaging, but then I stopped thinking about it. No issue.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tyre flat spot??

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Thanks. I think it’s like my issue. It seems that Spacers seemed to be the fix.  But this lad spent a long time trying to fix it and 5 trips to a dealership etc. 

also mentioned during the thread was have you checked disk brakes,  strut bolts, rusted coils spring, front subframe bolts, front strut mount, strut bearings - so lots of potential places to check, didn’t see any mention of changing the tyres. 

One other question for you, when you are reversing is it like the back brakes have engaged slightly were you have to give it a bit more acceleration to get it to move after or before the clunk noise? Its a bit of a long shot question as I had this issue before, except I did not hear a clunk, and my understanding of it was basically the shoes in the drums were engaging against the drum while reversing due to possible rust or corrision in the drum, the shoes can move slightly as they are on a spring, again a long shot, it mostly use to happen while it was wet and cold, not sure why. I had to replace the discs and pads front and back there about 6 months ago for the NCT and I have not had the problem since, I have read on forums that if you engage the foot brake while driving for a few feet it can help to sort this issue out also.

See link for information, also read post 9 on that link, sounds a little like the issue you have:

https://www.speakev.com/threads/brakes-appear-stuck-on-when-reversing-help.110009/

Thank you. Yeah post number 9 seems to be most like my issue.

post number 9 fix below, I wonder what is ‘lightly’ applying the footbrake, how many clicks should it be 🤔

“ I thought as others that corrosion is the problem so I lightly applied the footbrake and travelled 2-300 yards down the road, released foot brake, now the problem is gone so it would appear that it is corrosion on the brake drum that causes this issue.”

Post edited by obi604 on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

As a relatively new Leaf owner, can I throw in another issue that may be related, I was doing a lot of searching for Leaf related issues recently, and there is a problem with water from the screen going into the shock top mount, particularly on the driver's side, and there is a simple fix which is available on E-Bay or Amazon, a pair of rubber caps that can be fitted on top of the shock mount which prevents water getting into the mount, and prevents corrosion becoming a problem. It may be worth checking this as well in relation to the issues that thread is discussing.

A google search for Leaf Shock top cover will find them.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

hello. I have that fix done since about 3 years ago. Thanks for the comment though.

Found this in the Nissan leaf service manual:

Break-in Procedure INFOID:0000000010122367

1. Perform parking brake break-in (drag run) operation by driving vehicle under the following conditions:

• Drive the vehicle forward.

• Maintain vehicle speed at approximately 40 km/h (25 MPH) keeping it constant in forward direction.

• Apply the parking brake at the constant operating force specified. Approximately 200+49.0 Nm (20.4+5

kg-f, 45+11 lb-f).

• Release the parking brake after approximately 5+5/-0 seconds.

CAUTION:

To prevent lining from getting too hot, allow a cool off period of approximately 5 minutes after

every break-in operation.

Thank you. But I’m still unsure how hard to press down the foot brake.

the above is about a “parking brake break in” I can give it a try but is this what my issue even is.

I am not a mechanic so I don't know if it is your issue, I have given you links to forums were people have had a similar issue to yourself to help you find the problem, if you are not sure or comfortable doing the above procedure you should probably ask your mechanic for advice on the procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's hilarious!! How does one initially calibrate the foot to apply the necessary lb-f required for this procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭DC999

Dolmio sauce tub is the exact right size. The shallow platic type. I fitted that to mine amd it's perfect for Last 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭fael

Regarding the strut covers, I'm not aware of any strut mountings failing because of corrosion in that spot. Depending on how you apply a cover you can also trap water and/or condensation underneath the cover which can exacerbate the problem.

I just left it the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I covered both of our new leafs when new and the area looked great. However on the 7 yo 100k used leaf we bought the mounts looked like a mess and with the amount of rust the top mount would have eventually failed. I'm not sure if there is a ball or needle bearing underneath the top mount like on some cars but stopping moisture getting there is a good idea I think, at the least to make changing the struts easier in the future. On the 2011-13 model the covers came as standard but were dropped in the Sunderland cars.

Anyway I doused the area with WD40 to repel the moisture and then packed the void with grease before applying the covers. I reckon that's the way to do it as no oxygen and moisture can now get in the area at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Just reading this now. It's unlikely to have anything to do with strut covers, tyres etc., it's almost certainly a rusting parking brake rubbing against the disc. As Ghost said, lots of old Leafs have the issue, including my own. You can do a simple test to check. When you park up tonight don't engage the parking brake. If you reverse out tomorrow and it doesn't squeak/ clunk it's your parking brake.

There's a video on YouTube showing how to dismantle it and lubricate to fix the issue.

I have actually done this before i.e. left the car parked overnight and NOT applied the foot (hand) brake and just left the car in gear 'P'

Next morning when I reverse out, I still hear the clunk .

I did not look at entire video........but your man seems to be mainly on about a squeaky noise, mine is a clunk. However, Mine also squeaks.

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’ve read a number of pages around the charging issue of Nissan leaf.

Could someone tell me the current availability of the CHAdeMO at charging stations in Ireland? And also how fast would a 2020 leaf 40kw charge to 80% - at these stations -is it about 45 mins?

Finally the real life range of a 2020 Leaf in Kms?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

The pic shows the number of CHAdeMO chargers according to the ESB eCars site. The numbers in the large circles are the number of different charge locations in that area (you can click on them on the live map and see where they are). Some of the charge locations would have more than one CHAdeMO charger onsite.

Last Friday I charged from 25% to 90% in 43 mins on a CHAdeMO charger in Tipperary Town. I have a 2022 40kw Leaf.

My Leaf tends to get me around 200-230 kms, depending on weather and how much motorway driving I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Ah brilliant Jasonb - many thanks for that.

Ive been flipping between leaf and ID3 secondhand in my mind - id3 in general is at least 3-4k more expensive - maybe it’s penny wise pound foolish in the medium term to go with leaf now, I dunno.

It’s unlikely I’ll be doing long journeys in the leaf (ie greater than 150k in a day ) so I’m warming to the idea of a leaf with its reduced upfront cost.

I still think everything is still over priced though but if sales of new EVs don’t take off soon, this situation will remain for a number of years me thinks.

If I get anywhere’s decent trade in on my very old car I think I’ll probably say yes to a leaf - though I might try selling privately to see what the market says- let’s see what the coming weeks bring- thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I wound buy a leaf over ID.3. I had id.3 and my FIL bought a 2nd hand leaf. ID.3 is a ground up EV with CCS and thermal battery management. Current leaf is pretty much the same car from 2011 with chademo (slowly getting obsolete) and no thermal management (increased battery degradation).

Advertisement