Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Uncharted wrote: »
    What exactly was Tubbs trying to achieve by bringing up the death of Ricky's alcoholic son. It's not even a recent event.
    It's approx 15 years ago. Wtf?

Interview by numbers at Montrose:

1. Do you like Ireland ?
    2. Tell me your opinion of (evil ) Trump
    3. Talk about your new book/dvd/show
    4. Inevitable Brexit reference
    5. Death in your family? Tell me about the paaiin

Rran Tubridy seems to have a genuine obsession with death. It's bizarre.

FYP.

I'm convinced that Tubridy gets turned on talking about death or terminal illness. I've said so before and was going to refer to it the other day. I'd love to be able to make a montage of all of his clips where he slips it in completely at random into any conversation. I also think his researchers are asked to find out if there is any history of terminal illness or death in the family of the person he is going to interview.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

You would have thought that if they wanted to discuss his dead son that the shows researchers would have informed him of this.

They obviously wanted to spring the question on him in the hope that he'd just go along with it once on air.

Exactly. For such a sensitive topic, you would hope that the researchers would have broached it with Ricky Tomlinson beforehand. The alternative is that they incorrectly assumed that everybody these days is happy to talk about traumatic events in their life.

It reminds me of a few years ago when Tubbs had Martin Sheen on the LLS. He asked him about Charlie Sheen and his drug use / other controversies, but it was clear MS did not want to go there. He politely answered the question saying he was doing fine etc. Then Tubbs says, "and you had your own addiction problems." MS had to qualify that he was never addicted to hard drugs, but in the past he was an alcoholic.

RTE need to realise that not everybody is OK with this misery merchant stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amlinopta

More pain to look forward to with Ryanon The Late Late later

Diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer at sixteen, Nikki Bradley decided to take back her life after receiving the news that she would permanently rely on crutches. Nikki joins Ryan to discuss some of the grueling endurance challenges she has completed to raise money for cancer charities, and why she’s on a mission to encourage more women to take up sport through her work with the 20x20 campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Suckit wrote: »
    FYP.

I'm convinced that Tubridy gets turned on talking about death or terminal illness. I've said so before and was going to refer to it the other day. I'd love to be able to make a montage of all of his clips where he slips it in completely at random into any conversation. I also think his researchers are asked to find out if there is any history of terminal illness or death in the family of the person he is going to interview.

That fetish is not limited to Tubbs.

I would like to introduce to you a Mr Joseph Duffy. The velour waistcoated ringmaster of misery,death and pain in Montrose.

He even has a helpline number for unfortunate victims to call.

1850 715 815.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

mzungu wrote: »
    RTE will need to realise that not everybody is OK with this misery merchant stuff

Yeah...

the thing is, they actually do realize that people are not comfortable with it. That's the very reason the researchers dont seek pre-approval.

They just come out with these questions in the moment, hoping that the interviewee will take the bait rather than deal with the awkwardness of saying "i don't want to talk about that" .

I remember Pete Doherty calling Pat Kenny on it (although questions on addiction are more predictable in this case, it was ALL kenny was asking him about and became fairly uncomfortable after a while).

Jamie-Lee Curtis experienced it on the late late recently too. She seemed surprised questions were being asked about sickness in her family when she was in Ireland to promote her new film.

I'd like to see more interviewees calling them out on this obsession with misery that they just like to unleash on the unsuspecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Uncharted wrote: »
    That fetish is not limited to Tubbs.

I would like to introduce to you a Mr Joseph Duffy. The velour waistcoated ringmaster of misery,death and pain in Montrose.

He even has a helpline number for unfortunate victims to call.

1850 715 815.
    Fair enough, never really noticed it on JD but I am usually not around to listen to his show in work, and don't have radio on by myself.

But Tubs definitely has a fascination with anything that could or has killed somebody, and drags it out of the brightest of converstions.
    I hate listening to him 'interviewing' anybody, and I'm always waiting for the illness/death related segment of the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

That nonsense of having a competition for a prize, and then just giving both people the prize, is such a load of rubbish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Yeah...

the thing is, they actually do realize that people are not comfortable with it. That's the very reason the researchers dont seek pre-approval.

They just come out with these questions in the moment, hoping that the interviewee will take the bait rather than deal with the awkwardness of saying "i don't want to talk about that" .

I remember Pete Doherty calling Pat Kenny on it (although questions on addiction are more predictable in this case, it was ALL kenny was asking him about and became fairly uncomfortable after a while).

Jamie-Lee Curtis experienced it on the late late recently too. She seemed surprised questions were being asked about sickness in her family when she was in Ireland to promote her new film.

I'd like to see more interviewees calling them out on this obsession with misery that they just like to unleash on the unsuspecting.
    I guess she was expecting it to be like the format of Letterman and Leno and the like. All the chat shows in the US are pre-rehearsed. You never really get the misery stuff and you certainly never get a curveball.

I have no problem whatsoever with them having people on that have overcome difficulties. But trying to drag misery out of everybody gets a bit irksome.

Suckit wrote: »
    Fair enough, never really noticed it on JD but I am usually not around to listen to his show in work, and don't have radio on by myself.

But Tubs definitely has a fascination with anything that could or has killed somebody, and drags it out of the brightest of converstions.
    I hate listening to him 'interviewing' anybody, and I'm always waiting for the illness/death related segment of the interview.

Joe is the sensei of misery and ghoulish death fetishism.

Tubbs is merely the young grasshopper,he has not yet learned to walk the rice paper

Daniel O Donnell on with Tubbs discussing the joy of watersports.

Majella must be kinkier than she looks.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Daniel: The fella under Majella got more than he bargained for.

Oooh Matron.

Another massive RTE plugfest today.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

sligojoek wrote: »
    Daniel: The fella under Majella got more than he bargained for.

Oooh Matron.

Another massive RTE plugfest today.

Plugfest nah FART FEST yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,144 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Another plug fest this morning.

On what I call ‘Full Luvvie Volume’

Another plug fest this morning.

On what I call ‘Full Luvvie Volume’

I bailed out after he declared "The internet is a monster". Then he proceeded to read out crap from websites as filler till he got to the first song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Why doesn't he do a dedicated book show once a fortnight or something, or air it on a Saturday morning? It's books books books all the time. Gets very tiresome. He really is in his own little bubble.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I bailed out after he declared "The internet is a monster". Then he proceeded to read out crap from websites as filler till he got to the first song.

Ah yes, the aul technology bashing. Computers, social networks and phones; all terrible things that an enlightened intellectual like Tubridy cant get his head around. Reading is the only thing anyone should ever do with their spare time.

He was spouting ****e about a lack of funding for school libraries the other day. Romanticized crap about how "gorgeous" books are. No consideration given to the fact that funds might be better invested in technological facilities that kids need to learn to use.

It's like we should just halt all progress and go back to the 1940s to satisfy his odd little nostalgic notion of what the world should be like.

Ah yes, the aul technology bashing. Computers, social networks and phones; all terrible things that an enlightened intellectual like Tubridy cant get his head around. Reading is the only thing anyone should ever do with their spare time.

He was spouting ****e about a lack of funding for school libraries the other day. Romanticized crap about how "gorgeous" books are. No consideration given to the fact that funds might be better invested in technological facilities that kids need to learn to use.

It's like we should just halt all progress and go back to the 1940s so satisfy his odd little nostalgic notion of what the world should be like.
    I think he's a talented broadcaster but I hate this sentimental sh*te he comes out with.

Automation in public libraries has made local libraries viable, and the Internet has widened access to literature and information for school kids who rely on its resources.

But Tubs only seems to be concerned about the smell of an ink stamp on his Dickens novels, romanticising a time when children were chimney sweeps and books were for for the learnèd.

Had to laugh out loud when Tubbs was moaning about the wind being so strong as he was out walking.

He described his struggle to enjoy a walk whilst his 3 and a half stone frame was blown around the place. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 72,154 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Yasmin Le Bon, which is actually French for Yasmin The Good.

Yasmin Le Bon, which is actually French for Yasmin The Good.

Ah yes, I remember her wedding to Alexander Le Great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Trump and Easons before 9.10. Tick

Guest describes his stress and IBS, then describes how after he took up the hobby of pigeon racing his symptoms disappeared.

“I used to go to the toilet and crying in pain”.

“Well that worked out” replies Ryan awkwardly

Then guest says that his wife died and how difficult a time it was.

Of course Ryan has to ask how she died and what she was she.

“Do you mind me asking (but I can’t desist)?”

Why don't you ask her what she thinks instead of making statements yourself and asking her whether she agrees with your statements or not. Dear god.

He's on fire today
    School
    The LLS
    Michelle Obama
    Kids books
    Books are better than tablets
    Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Tubridy giving out about Cambridge removing Liam Neeson from some magazine.

Has he himself not banned Michael Jackson from his show?

Did Ryan not say just last week that Brexit will not be discussed on his show?

Just sayin’.

Never thought I would hear Ryan play ‘I Got 5 On It’ by Luniz! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Never thought I would hear Ryan play ‘I Got 5 On It’ by Luniz! :eek: :D

It's old school according to the DLB.

• Advertisement

Seems with that new film 'Us' there's been a resurgence in the popularity of that tune.

He plays good songs sometimes but it usually quick to ruin any credibility gained with some soft millennial sh*te-pop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement